The Neverending Beach - Part I

The first dream where Adelaide goes to the Beach and meets the scarecrow.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies the realm of dreams, where dreamers who are scattered all over the world in the physical can come together in the mysterious world of dreams. Remember, unless one is a Dreamwalker, there is no control over dreams. Ever. Anything can happen, and by threading a dream, you are subject to whomever can walk dreams and the whims of Storytellers.

Postby Adelaide Sitai on August 4th, 2014, 1:12 am

1st Spring 496AV

The little girl was looking for the Ocean. Somewhere, she could hear the waves slapping against the shore and shells crackled and split under her tiny, naked feet. The beach, however, seemed to go on forever - white sand, like a fine, pale powder that billowed around each step she took so that a clear mark was left. Adelaide looked down and noticed that the footprints were a lot larger than her actual feet, and shaped like the paws of an animal, all as she floated along. The whole world was beautiful and newly washed in the illusion - Adelaide half expected to see a washing line hanging across the beach, pastel-coloured clothes blowing in the wind. She was wearing a nightgown, a red nightgown with black lace around the collar and cuffs; just like the one that Father had told her she could not have because it was inappropriate for little girls. It would make her look like a baby tart, whatever Father meant by that. Adelaide liked tarts. Strawberry, blackberry or, her favourite, Gooseberry... and she liked licking the juice from the perfectly cooked fruit off her fingers. That said, she didn't really wish to look like a tart. Well, either way, now she had the nightgown and she was free to go wherever and do whatever she wanted with it. As she took further steps, the sun got larger and larger in the sky. It was still yellow in a blue sky, but it was no more the little white orb in the pale blue sky, as if the heavens had been newly washed and hung out on a line - to dry.

The child continued walking further forward, over the dunes of the beach. At one point, the sand was damp and it stuck to her feet, but it went back to dry and still there was no sign of the sea. How did she know it was a beach? She knew it intrinsically, even if it did appear to merely be a desert.

"Run!"

The voice, female and echoing, came out of nowhere. Adelaide looked around her at the sand. There was nothing anywhere near her. Just the sand. The sand that told of the beach and the sea. Except... this was a dream? Maybe there was no Ocean. But, then, why could she smell the salt in the air? The little girl stuck her nose in the air.

"Mackerel." she murmured, not knowing how she knew it was mackerel when she had never eaten that type of fish before. Even if she had, she would not have been able to recognise it by sight, let alone by smell.

"Run!" The voice came again and, this time, it was low and masculine. Adelaide stopped walking. Thus doing exactly the opposite to what it was asking of her.

"Run!" a child's voice, this time. A little boy.

She had started running without even intending to. Her legs carried themselves and, as she ran, she started leaving the ground, running towards the sun that was still getting bigger while the sky turned redder. Unlike in the real world, Adelaide did not get out of breath. She appeared to be moving thousands of leagues at a time, far above the beach. In the distance, she now believed that she could perceive the Ocean. Somewhere below her was a beach parasol, typical with its white pole and red and white pattern.

"I'm coming!"

Maybe the voices had something to do with mother? It was as Ade was thinking this that she noticed that she was being followed at a distance by a scarecrow which would jump along the sand, stopping whenever she turned around to look at it. Adelaide knew to keep running, but could not, as she saw her body, beyond her control, walking over to the scarecrow.

"There's no need of you here, on the beach," she said, before realising that she was, in fact, singing the words rather than speaking them, "There's no reason to scare the birds away for there aren't any crops."
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Adelaide Sitai on July 13th, 2015, 12:04 pm

"I'm not here to scare the birds." A gruff voice played in Adelaide's head and the little girl jumped up with a start.

"Sorry?"

"I'm not here to scare the birds."
Again, the gruff voice. It was a nice voice though, low and wise.

"Oh."

The scarecrow cocked its head to the side and hopped on over. Adelaide looked up at it.

"Don't go that way Adelaide. The voices... don't follow them."

"Why not?"

"Because there's nothing there but misery. Memories that you don't remember. That you are too young to know about. Not your memories, of course."

"Oh."

"Come with me."

"But how do I know that I can trust you?"
The little girl cocked her head to the side, mimicking the scarecrow.

"You don't. Not yet, but you will."

"Who are you?"

"I'm your friend. I'm here to guide you through your dreams."

The scarecrow held out his hand and, after a moment of hesitation, Adelaide took it. They turned around and started walking back along the beach.

"Where are we?"
Asked Adelaide finally, "What is this beach?"

"Oh, it's not a beach."

"It isn't?"

"No."

"But I can hear the sea?"

"Can you?"

Adelaide was about to nod but then stopped. She stuck her head up suddenly and, for a moment, said nothing. Then she look back towards the scarecrow and slowly, slightly bemusedly, shook her head. She could hear absolutely nothing at all - the silence was eery.

"Where are we then?" she asked, her brow furrowed.

"In the place between dream worlds, a corridor if you will."

"But why all the...?"

"Sand?"

"Yes."

"Take a closer look."

Adelaide did as she was told. Quickly, she knelt down and picked up a handful of sand. As soon as she touched it, it began to glow and all kind of voices started playing in her head. Immediately, she dropped the handful in surprise. Then, still curious, she picked up another handful. Different voices this time, all on top of each other. Some crying, some laughing, some happy then a low pitched scream. Adelaide quickly let the sand filter through her fingers and the voices died away. She looked back up at the scarecrow, confusion etched into her face.

"What is it?"

"It's dust. Dream dust. When I said corridor, it's more like the place between two walls. Sometimes, bits of dreams filter through untamed. It's not a safe place though because, in this land, the dreams are not entirely your own - or anybody's. That means they can become feral. Don't follow the voices."

"How do I know you're not a feral dream?"

"Ah. I was right about you. Thinking critically is not usually good in dreams, because logic bears no effect here, but in the corridors? You must always think critically."

"How do I know you're not a feral dream?"

"Because I'm the guardian of your dreams. Your mother sent me. You have no reason to believe me, of course, but I think you will in a moment. Close your eyes. Go on, close your eyes."

After a moment's hesitation, Adelaide did as she was told. When she re-opened them, they were no longer at the beach, but in a coffee shop, both sitting down. A waitress came over and the scarecrow ordered a coffee for himself and a triple sunrise mango smoothie with cream, sprinkles and a curly straw for Adelaide. It arrived in a huge glass, almost bigger than Adelaide herself.

"I thought you'd like it here." Said the scarecrow with a smile.

"What's your name?"

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that yet. I will at some point, though, when I know I can trust you."

And without further ado, they both started their drinks.
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)