Return of the Scarecrow

Adelaide meets and old childhood friend.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies the realm of dreams, where dreamers who are scattered all over the world in the physical can come together in the mysterious world of dreams. Remember, unless one is a Dreamwalker, there is no control over dreams. Ever. Anything can happen, and by threading a dream, you are subject to whomever can walk dreams and the whims of Storytellers.

Return of the Scarecrow

Postby Adelaide Sitai on August 16th, 2014, 11:41 pm

56th Spring 514AV

Adelaide had not seen the scarecrow for years. For years, she had walked her dreams without him and, now, here he was - the spectre of her childhood, a spectre belonging to the world of Dreams who had not aged a day.

"You're old." the scarecrow tilted to his head to the side as the gruff voice Adelaide used to know - a memory from a dream - played in her head. He had always communicated with her telepathically since, logic dictated, Scarecrows could not talk otherwise.

Her eyes widened as she looked down, half expecting to see the feet of a child, the trim of the brightly coloured nightgowns that used to define her fantasies. Instead, there were merely her feet, pale and large, though small for an adult, "I'm twenty-three."

"That must be why."

"Why what?"

"You don't look happy."

Adelaide shook her head and made a move to tell him that she was happy, very happy, but the words would not form themselves, never leaving her tongue which seemed to get bigger and bigger in her mouth so that she would not say something that she could not be allowed to say.

"Where are we?" she murmured instead.

"Ask yourself that." The scarecrow replied philosophically, jumping over to her buoyantly, bouncing on the single stick that anchored him to the ground or, in this case, hovered an inch about the ground at all times, even when he was bouncing, "Where do you think we are?"

"Not at the beach."

"You remember the beach!"

"Yes... No... I can't remember if I remember. We're in a forest, but it's not like the forests in Cyphrus."

"Walk with me."

They moved in silence through the silent forest, the colours around them changing. After a couple of chimes, the colours of the leaves had turned from bright green to gold and red. It had been Summer and now it was Autumn.

"Everything is dying." said the scarecrow finally, shaking his head.

"But everything will be reborn. Is that not better? That way, we get a new world with every new year."

The scarecrow said nothing more and they continued walking in silence through the Autumn forest. Adelaide's feet turned gold as she stepped into a gold puddle, like a pool on the forest floor. She bent down to wipe off the gold, but it only turned her hands gold. Desperately, she tried to rub the gold off on her clothes but her dress turned gold too and lengthened, so it was soon a long, gold, shapeless gown trailing on the floor, far too big for her. As she walked, the gown seemed to attract leaves to it, like a magnet. The leaves flittered and wove, spun through the air to pin themselves onto the dress. Ultimately, the dress was completely covered in the red and yellow leaves and she couldn't walk any further, loaded down by the weight of thousands of leaves. She stumbled forward, not sure what to do as panic overcame her before falling into a puddle as her knees hit the ground. For a moment, she was enveloped by the water.

"Help!" she called, "I can't see." She was about to say that she could not breathe either, as the water filled her lungs and went up her nose and into her mouth, but she suddenly realised that she could. And, for some odd reason, through the puddle she was able to perceive the same forest (on the other side) Pushed by a perverse desire to know more, but also helpless to the force that was driving her, she sank into and through the puddle, pulling the scarecrow in with her. It was cold and dark and wet and Adelaide closed her eyes.

"Help!" she called again, "I can't see." It was all very dark and Adelaide wondered for a moment if the puddle had turned into ink, into an interminable and abysmal darkness without end. Maybe this was a nightmare.

"Of course you can see. Brush the leaves off yourself first, then open your eyes."

Adelaide always did what she was told in dreams and made sure to brush the leaves off before opening her eyes. When she did, she realised that the Season had once again changed and there she was, in a Winter forest without leaves save for the couple still stuck to her left sleeve, which had turned white. With a start, she realised that the whole dress had turned a pale white of the same colour as the snow on the ground. Her dark hair shone out in the midst of all the whiteness. As she blew off the last two leaves, they shattered into a myriad of snowflakes. Yes, thought Adelaide, decidedly odd. Then, as she looked up, she noticed seven figures with them in the forest, all with white skin blending into the pale ice. Usually, in the real world, Adelaide would have said hello, but here, she did nothing of the sort.

"Maybe they can't see us..." she told the Scarecrow, "We can just walk around them and continue."
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Return of the Scarecrow

Postby Adelaide Sitai on July 13th, 2015, 1:14 pm

All seven of the figures were wearing crowns and were in a circle, moving silently.

"What is it?" Adelaide whispered to the scarecrow.

"I don't know." he replied

Adelaide didn't do anything for a while and simply watched. They were moving as though completing some sort of ritual, silently dancing in circles, their bodies like pillars and eyes closed. Adelaide couldn't help but feel that they were not exactly... alive. It was then that the head of the one closest to her dropped off. Adelaide let out a yell of shock, as it rolled over and un-froze, looking more like flesh. The body fell to the ground.

"Let's go."
said the scarecrow finally, "I don't know what it is but I don't like it."

The eyes on the head opened and Adelaide was able to see a piercing blue glare. She immediately closed her own eyes on the strange sight.

"My job is to keep you safe..."

"Yes, you're right."

Adelaide took the scarecrow's hand as she had when she was a little girl. They turned back around and went to another puddle in the forest. The scarecrow nodded as Adelaide dropped her head in. It seemed to be alright, and a chime later, she had sunk through it, followed closely by the scarecrow.

They were, once again, in a forest, but this time it was Spring. As Adelaide shook the frost off her dress, it turn a pale shade of blue and dozens of flowers in all different colours sprouted up around the hem. On the blue dress itself, fluffy clouds seemed to move across her body - like a spring's day.

"I must say, this one's my favourite." said the Scarecrow.

"Not mine. I mean, I would have loved it when I was a little girl but now... it feels a little childish."

"No wonder you don't look happy."
said the scarecrow, shaking his head, "If you think like that about things. I think you look lovely."

"Let's go."

They started making their way through the spring forest. Flowers bloomed where Adelaide stepped and she could not help but smile. Birds were singing and as the sun shone, Adelaide was struck by a pleasant warmth. She thought back to the Winter Forest and to the dancing figures. She wondered if she would see them again and what they had been doing. Maybe it would have been worth staying a bit longer to investigate, but she admitted being glad that she was out of there.

At that moment, she heard pounding. She looked around and noticed the trees shaking. The scarecrow frowned as the pounding got closer and closer and closer until, suddenly, a huge shadow fell over the two of them. When Adelaide looked up, she was looking at a gigantic squirrel with a warm-looking auburn fur.

"Good morning," she said finally.

"Good morning."
echoed the squirrel happily.

"It's a lovely day."

"It is a lovely day, isn't it?"

"I'm Adelaide."

"Hello Adelaide. I'm Big."

"I can see that. This is my Scarecrow, or rather, not my scarecrow - a scarecrow. Only, we haven't seen each other in a while."

"Hello Scarecrow."

The squirrel cocked its head to the side. There was a moment of silence then he chuckled.

"Are you on your way to the Princess's birthday party?" asked the Squirrel.

"No?"

"Oh, you must come. I'll give you a lift."

"We haven't been invited."

"Everybody's invited. Would you like to ride inside or outside?"

"Inside?"
Questioned Adelaide, wondering what that meant.

"If you like."

"No, I meant..."
but before anything could be said, the gigantic squirrel opened his mouth and bent down. Within less than a moment, Adelaide and the Scarecrow were swallowed whole.

For a second, Adelaide blacked out dizzily. After blinking a few times though, she noticed that she and the scarecrow were in some sort of warm-looking pink cavern with bookshelves and armchairs. Already, the scarecrow was sitting down, flicking through one of the books.

"What just happened?" asked Adelaide, bemused, as she moved towards him.

"We're on our way to the Princess's birthday party!" replied the Scarecrow, looking up from his book, "Now, isn't that exciting?"
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)