Solo Busking for a Busker

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Busking for a Busker

Postby Adelaide Sitai on July 8th, 2015, 3:17 pm

2nd Summer 515AV
After the Eleventh Bell

Adelaide had lost her carriage and, with it, her Father. Somewhere in the fog that had settled over her mind, she had lost her carriage and Father. Not entirely willing to go home to the Bloodflower plantation at any rate, the young woman had happily wandered from the bright lights of Lantern Square where she had spend the evening laughing and joking with Roland Sitai (With the amount of time she spent there, she ought really buy her own seat or something) to the bright lights of Gamboling Bridge, like some sort of migrating moth. She was really not sure at what moment she had done so, at what moment she had got up and made the journey, but she had, the ultimate joke her father had told her still ringing in her ears as she chuckled. That said, as much as she had found Lantern Square to have a pleasant atmosphere, she had evidently not judged it a night to stay in one place, her mind full of a desire to walk, to capture the atmosphere of a Kenashian evening in her way rather than sit there hoping she would merely soak it up. By that point, she had - of course - had a bit of rum to drink, but quite from making her head feel blurred or bothered, she seemed to react to everything around her more acutely. She loved Kenash at night and it seemed more than usually wonderful as a result of her new desire to admire every star, every oddly shaped stone in her path and even wish she could paint the way lights from doorways and establishments fell raucously on the street.

Gamboling Bridge was not as packed as it sometimes was and, if Adelaide had been intending to soak up an atmosphere, she was still glad that she wouldn't have to fight her way through a hundred different people to get to her favourite spot on the bridge (Right at the top, where she could look out over the city - it was the only place where the view of the city on the river was better than the view of the Sea). For a couple of chimes, she merely stood there, breathing in the fresh air with a small smile as the sound of music from a busker filled the air. It was then, however, that Adelaide heard someone reciting something in the background. Initially, she paid very little attention to it whatsoever, but after a moment she was taken by an urge to turn around and listen more closely. Unfortunately, it soon became clear that she was doing so more out of concern that out of admiration. The busker was doing a monologue from something or other which the young Sitai didn't recognise, but she didn't have to recognise it to know that it was not being done well.

As she focused on the words, she pulled away from the sight over the bridge and instead turned to the young man on the small raised platform, looking to the crowd with begging eyes. Those gathering around him, though, were not offering any help as he stumbled over one word, over-acted at times and mumbled at others. Maybe he was drunk? It was a kind explanation. Unfortunately for him, though, even if he had had nothing to drink, Adelaide had. In that state, she was conscious of the fact that she could only do one thing to both alleviate his discomfort and make herself the centre of attention once again. Who would say different? Her family owned the bridge. So, with a flurry of thoughts, she leapt forward and pulled the hapless busker to the side. He balked slightly, his face pale, probably wondering exactly what she was going to do, but already her attention was not on him, but on stumbling up onto his platform to show him how it was done. She tripped slightly, but just managed to stop herself from putting a hand out to the floor, then turned around to face the people around her. Only she wasn't going to recite a monologue so much as a poem, with dramatic emphasis. It was a poem she had written long ago, in Zeltiva.

"There is a land where the hot wind blows..." she exclaimed the words, her palms upwards to the sky and her chin up, almost proud.

"A sunset cloud like purple powder flows." her voice was soft as she rolled her tongue over the 'purple' powder and she gently hissed the end of the word, 'flows', as though revealing a secret to her audience.

A couple more people stopped and turned while Adelaide continued with a knowing smile.

"Over a swamp city crowned by the Sea." This time her hand circled, motioning to the area around her.

"There lives the maiden adored by me." And with those words, her voice had taken a far more personal, less grandiose, tone even as her arms dropped to her side and her voiced trembled dramatically over the word 'maiden'.

It might not have been the greatest idea in the world, but what was the point in living if you were not having any fun? Adelaide took a glance at her audience and was happy to see that a couple more people had stopped to watch. The busker, on the other hand, wore an expression of complete hopelessness, his face red and his ears even redder.
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Busking for a Busker

Postby Adelaide Sitai on July 13th, 2015, 4:22 pm

Adelaide knew what she was doing to be ridiculous, as she comically overemphasised some of her actions, much to her own amusement as well as that of her audience as she played up to them. After a moment, she broke from her little rhyme and started improvising. She didn't know what had possessed her, but she liked playing up to her audience and now she decided that the mood was right to try something a little different - something a little deeper - so, with a small smile, she brought her arms to her side and looked down slightly.

"They tell me I'm going blind..." she looked up and, hand trembling, pulled her left hand through her hair as if she was trying to be nonchalant before quickly wiping the non-existent sweat from her brow, "But what do physicians know? Really?" She let out a hollow laugh, "I mean, my eyesight's never been good. It's why I can't read and, why, as a child, I never could play catch with the other children."

A few people broke away from the watching group, disappointed at the change in tone but, conversely, a few more stopped and looked on.

"But, I'm not going blind." she emphasised each word, as though she were trying to convince herself as much as the audience, "I've managed thus far. I've even managed to convince people that I'm fine. Nobody knows I can't read because, if I know I have to, I get somebody to teach me what I need by heart and I..." she swallowed slightly, as though uncomfortable, "I pretend."

For a second, she was silent and looked as though she might cry. Then, her voice breaking slightly with emotion, she looked out to the audience suddenly, "Do you know what it is to be told that you're going blind? To know that your already limited world is about to become harder and so much darker." She wished that she could cry on demand because, at that point, she felt that squeezing out a single silent tear might have had a great effect. Instead, Adelaide closed her eyes for a second and pursed her lips, as though making a brave attempt not to cry, before saying in a voice that resembled a whimper, "I'm frightened of the dark. Nobody knows that, but I am. It's why I try and fall asleep while the lights are still bright. Sometimes, even while the sun is still up. So, the eternal darkness? Not knowing if somebody is about to push me in the back? Or hit me? Or trip me up? I'm so frightened."

She was still putting on a brave face, then she raised her eyebrows to the sky and said, with a small smile, her voice quiet, "And to never see this sky again? To never see a smile... the smile of a little girl with new shoes? To hold a baby, but never again recognise the perfect, untouched beauty of its tiny hands? To be shut away from the sight of the Sea, a blue moon, the colours and spices of the markets, the mother of pearl sheen on the streets early in the morning, just after it's stopped raining and the vibrant orange of my favourite dress? And it'll be taken away from me."

Adelaide suddenly looked angry and determined, again passing a hand through her hair, "No. No. I refuse. I will not concede. I will not falter. I will not go blind." She said the last few words so ferociously that the couple closest to her took a step back.

"And I don't want pity." she took a calmer approach to the next few lines, "I don't want to be a burden to my family or my friends. I want to fall in love. Yes, I can fall in love without my sight, but to fall in love with a man, knowing I'll never actually see his face. I think that might break my heart. It's not because appearance is so very important. It's not. But, truly, even if love is blind, the heart will always crave a face to put to its fervent dreams. And never knowing is more than I can bear."

At this point, Adelaide finally dropped to the ground, her head in her hands, and yelled agonisingly, "I am not going blind!" before finally breaking into sobs and repeating, over and over again, "I will never go blind. Never. Never. I will never go blind. Never. Never. Never."

Should she continue? Adelaide decided not to and, after a period of about ten ticks, stood up and smiled, with a small bow, letting her audience know that she had finished. They clapped, smiling and Adelaide was happy enough with the reaction that she had completely forgotten about the busker she had dethroned. That is, until a shout came out from the crowd.

"He's about to jump!"

Sure enough, still congratulating herself on a job well done, Adelaide just turned around in time to see the busker throw himself over the side of the bridge. Now, Adelaide was not stupid. Nor did she have any hero complex. She wasn't sure if it was the alcohol she had drunk that evening or the adrenaline from the little scene she had just performed but it took her less than five ticks to decide that, it being her fault that he had jumped, she ought to jump in after him and try and save the hapless young man. As soon as she seemed to have told herself that that was the correct course of action to take, she had done it, practically tearing off her heavy skirt and jacket in her eagerness and jumping in wearing nothing more than her undergarments and a white shirt.

She hadn't even hit the water yet, and she realised that she had made a huge mistake and was probably about to drown. In fact, it was probably a good thing if she did because she could only imagine what her Uncle would say if he found out about her reckless behaviour, stripping off and jumping off into a river at close to midnight to rescue a stranger determined to commit suicide.

Water filled up her mouth and she felt herself gasping for air.

"Help! Help!" she screamed, as she thrashed about violently, "Somebody!"

Of course, she'd had a few lessons when she was younger and was just about staying afloat, but there was no way she was getting out of there alive without some help. She saw the young busker bobbing about her, seemingly unconscious, and she grabbed his arm in time, just in time to stop him from sinking below the surface.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."
she said, kicking her legs viciously.

Her head ducked under the water. Once. Twice. Thrice. Four times. Each time, she somehow managed to kick herself back to the surface of the water, still holding the busker. How long had this ordeal lasted? Less than a chime, she was sure, but she was likewise sure that it wouldn't last much longer before both her and the busker drowned.

"Help!"

But, then, why didn't she just let go of the man? He was not a Dynast, nor did he have any desire to live. If she just let him go, then she'd be able to keep herself afloat for longer. She looked at him as she desperately continued treading water, her breathing becoming laboured. Yes, why not? He was a terrible actor... even if, now she looked at him properly, he had a rather attractive face.

"Help!"

There was shouting all around the bridge and people were shining lights down into the water. Why were they taking so long? A wave of water crashed over Adelaide's head and she started coughing desperately, her legs getting tired.

"Help!"

As water went up her nose and she felt her grip on the busker's body was slackening, she let out a wail. Why had she never learnt to swim properly? She was surely about to die. And, after all she'd been through, dying from her own sheer stupidity was not the way she had wished to go. It was with this thought in mind that her legs, unused to swimming and inexperienced, finally gave out and she started to sink below the surface and the world went silent.

It was quiet under the water, and Adelaide felt a certain peace come over her as she watched bubbles rise from her mouth towards the surface. She thrashed a bit, desperate not to drown, then felt a certain sense of peace invade her. This wasn't so bad. Not really. Yes, it felt as if her lungs would explode but, conversely, her mind was fogging over and she was losing all sense of anything else but her impending death. It was kind of calm. And the water had killed Naolom, who had died of hypothermia after saving her from drowning. It was sort of fitting that, in the end, she was not about to escape her fate.

Her vision was blurring over and her thoughts slipping away when, suddenly, a hand grabbed at her shoulder and pulled her up. Adelaide coughed violently, dizzy and not too sure what had just happened before her eyes focused on where she was. She was in a little rowing boat. A tick later, the busker had been pulled up beside her. Slowly, she tried to kneel up to see if he was breathing, but twice she fell back down. Finally, as the boat was being rowed back up the river bank, to a point where they could disembark, she checked his pulse. He was alive, but he didn't seem to be breathing. With another explosion of coughs, she leant over him and started trying to resuscitate him, her hands pummelling hard even as she shivered in her white shirt, in which she might as well have been naked, and felt like she would faint from what she had just endured. Just as they reached the point where they might disembark, the young man opened his eyes - which were a vibrant shade of green - and coughed, spluttering and choking slightly. Adelaide fell back and blacked out, barely aware of two sets of unknown hands pulling her out of the little rowing boat and a coat being wrapped around her.
Adelaide Sitai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Busking for a Busker

Postby Adelaide Sitai on July 13th, 2015, 5:17 pm

Twenty chimes later

"What the hell did you think you were doing?"

Adelaide had found her father again and, as might be expected, Roland Sitai was furious with his daughter. She knew it to be because he loved her, but she was in the carriage going back to Bloodflower, receiving the worst telling off of her adult life.

"I mean, it was one thing doing this when you were seven, trying to save those ruddy kittens... but you're a grown woman now! Please, do tell - what were you thinking?"

"I'm sorry."

"Alright. You weren't thinking!"

Adelaide was exhausted as she pulled her coat tighter around her, trying not to shiver, her head was hurting and she was wary of a large bruise on her forearm.

"What do you expect me to say? About a daughter who acts in such a thoughtless manner? I just don't know. I really don't know."

It was at that point that Adelaide burst into tears. It had all been too much. Too many emotions for one night. And now her father was furious at her. She felt like a little girl again, terrified of his wrath and desperate for his approval. All through her life, she had looked up to him, wanted to impress him and loved him like nobody else. He had been both mother and father to her, a guiding force, a teacher, the man who saved her life when she was depressed and a friend - a great friend. Somebody in whom she could confide anything without judgement. And now he was angry at her. Through the web of tears blurring her vision, she could see his pained face as his anger evaporated. Trying to furiously wipe her tears away, she suddenly found herself being embraced tightly by Roland Sitai, and she buried her face into his shoulder, her sobs getting louder as she was comforted by her father.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Adelaide, please stop crying. I was angry. I am. But it's because I love you and I was worried that I'd lose you. I couldn't live with myself if that happened. Adelaide, darling, please look at me."[

Hiccupping slightly, Adelaide passed her hand over her face and looked up at her Father.

"I am sorry."

"I know you are. I keep forgetting that I can't protect you forever. You're not a little girl anymore, and that's sometimes difficult for me."

Adelaide nodded and dried her tears. She was still shaken, but felt a good deal happier.

"I think you ought to have swimming lessons." Roland said finally, "This made me realise that there were some things that we forgot about really teaching you properly when you were a child, and we shouldn't have done so. Now, how about we talk about something else?"

Adelaide smiled lightly. She could see that all the emotion and sentimentality had got too much for her rather stoic Father and she was grateful to him for wanting to change the subject.

"Dervain thinks you ought to get married."

Adelaide looked up with a start. This was not the subject she would have chosen.

"I'm not ready to be married." she said finally.

"Dervain doesn't think so, and he's the head of the family."

"He's wrong. Can't you do something?"

Roland Sitai sighed, "I can try to convince him otherwise, as I have been doing, but it'll be a hard sell. You're turning twenty-five this Fall. It's about time you were married."

Adelaide frowned and looked down, so that a curtain of hair hid her face. She was quite for a couple of chimes, then looked up, her face hard.

"Would I have a choice in the matter?"

"It wouldn't be Novak. Unless you married Novak before any other arrangements were organised."

"But I don't want to marry Novak either."

Roland sighed again, evidently a little irritated by his daughter's stubbornness, "Dervain would like an alliance with the Askara. At a push, the Morealis or the Radacke."

"Half the Askara are my cousins."

Roland raised his eyebrows, "Amongst the dynasties, we're all cousins in one way or another."

"Father. Please."

There was a long pause then, finally, Roland Sitai looked up at his daughter. They simply looked at each other for a while before Roland Sitai nodded.

"Alright Adelaide. You're as stubborn as your mother." He
paused slightly then, turned away, looking out of the carriage window, "I promise I will do everything I can to delay any wedding bells until you're ready. As long as I am alive, I will do everything in my power to make sure that you won't be forced into anything you don't want to do."

Adelaide smiled, then flung herself at her Father, wrapping her arms around him in a warm hug.

"Thank you." She whispered, nuzzling his shoulder with her face, "I know you'll always be there for me." Then, for a moment, the young woman could not help but breaking into an acting pose again and say, melodramatically, in a very pretty little voice with a hand to her chest, "For you are my father. Forever. And father, I love you."

Then she broke away as Roland smiled slightly at his daughter. The rest of the carriage ride back to Bloodflower was done in a comfortable silence.
Adelaide Sitai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Busking for a Busker

Postby Orin Fenix on September 12th, 2015, 9:12 pm

Adelaide Sitai

Experience

• Land Navigation 1
  • Observation 3
  • Composition 1
  • Poetry 1
  • Rhetoric 2
  • Busking 2
  • Acting 2
  • Swimming 1
  • Endurance 1
  • Philosophy 1
  • Medicine 1
  • Socialization 1
  • Persuasion 1

Lore

• Lost in the mists of the mind
  • Kenash: Lovely at night
  • The Poor Performer
  • Composition: Recognizing Poor Work
  • Busking: Using Multiple Skills
  • Swimming: Or Drowning
  • Medicine: Checking a Pulse
  • Roland Sitai: Father and Mother and Teacher and Confidant
  • Still too soon to be married

Another amazing read. Can't wait to see what Adelaide does in the future!

Just one note, with no experience and no knowledge of medicine I find it highly unlikely that Adelaide would know how to resuscitate someone. That's why I didn't award you that lore.

Please don't forget to edit or delete your grade request
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3