Solo Cruel World

A desire to slay the city's evil.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Cruel World

Postby Caesarion on July 5th, 2015, 5:25 pm

20th of Summer, 515 AV

One might expect that one who claims to fight for good in all its facets might shy away from the subject of killing. Death was, of course, the ending of everything outside of the Ukalas. And yet that was the point. To kill was to remove of something - an entity that affected you positively, negatively or not at all. If they were an enemy, then of course they would affect you negatively. Killing them is thus doing a liberty for yourself, unless the consequences of killing them would outweigh the reprieve you obtain from their demise. Life and death were much like business ventures, weighed in risk and reward. Giving birth to or adopting a child was like this as well. Life and death were as cold to many as coins. Now, the question was - did this belief extend to Caesarion? He was a servant of Priskil, and he always hoped since he was young to do an incredible amount of good in the world. Still, there was always the struggle when it came to good versus evil. Evil did not struggle at all when it came to its methods; expunge good in the most efficient way, or cruel way. They didn't mind killing and they didn't mind enslaving. They didn't mind any of the methods that were effective to their goals.

Good struggled because in honesty it was weaker and of lower quantity. There was far more suffering in the world than there was happiness. There were tens of thousands of slaves, tens of thousands of starving people, dying people, homeless people, mentally or physically disabled, sad and abused, weak and fragile - then only a handful of those who truly enjoyed life, who uncovered their dreams and lived in economic and emotional success. Even those people often had a difficult time keeping it all together. It was so hard to be happy, and so easy to despair. Yes, he knew this, for he remembered seeing this always - all around him in Ravok, and now, there was so much illness and need. Syliras was the happiest he'd seen, but even then the people were afraid and they weren't ever capable of getting what they needed when they needed it.

Because of the Valterrian, then the Djed Storm, and because of the evil hearts of Gods, men and women - there was little left in the world that remained kind. And so, of course, Caesarion determined that he needed to be vicious to survive his environment. When it came to good, there were two sides of the coin - the good that wished to spread purity and joy by giving meals to others, by praying for safety, by guiding and healing. Then, there was good such as the Syliran Knights that would expunge evil when they found it. Remove threats to order and stability. Some might call this neutral, but Caesarion considered this good. And somewhere, he believed that Priskil considered death a method of expunging evil as well. Why else would her followers be capable of tapping into powers that could sometimes hurt someone else? What fate did she seek for Sagallius if not his demise?

Vox wanted to be the blade of the innocent. In a way, he wished to embrace an evil sort of good - one that surrounded itself with death and cruelty in order to protect those in society who could never defend themselves from the black souls of the people who would exploit them. He didn't mind if this sort of thing changed him. He embraced this change, because it meant leaving behind weakness and entering a state of strength and self-actualization. He was finally able to process a potential goal for himself - it was more than just family and love, but also, a maelstrom of destruction to those who would threaten such tranquil realities.

The man stood from the bed in lieu of these thoughts. He was nude, for his clothes from the other nights were drenched in sweat. He had been very active. Knowing this, he simply put on his collar and his leather braces - he was required to look like a slave. He wore a loincloth to cover his nether regions, and then he picked up his torso attire and his pants and brought them over to the small well Telemaran provided his slaves to let them bathe and clean their attire. Caesarion's attire was somewhat fancy for a slave, so this was never enough to keep it in good condition, but he did his best. When he had thoroughly soaked the clothing, the man would periodically release Res to blow a sufficient amount of wind to wring out the clothes and dry them. The air he let out was hot, which always made the clothes fairly well dried and allowed him to get out wrinkles pretty easily.

The man then dipped himself into the well, removing the loincloth though letting it float around so it could be soaked as well. One thing he would often do - something he began to do right now - was use a little bit of Res to heat the tub a tiny amount, making it like a sauna, or at least just a warm bath instead of the freezing pit he'd usually walk into. These little things kept him going in the life that he'd been dealt, and they also kept his control of Res sharp and expanded upon the usage of his magic. Of course, the only reason he needed to do any of this was simply the fact that he wanted to go out. He was . . . determined to leave Telemaran's abide today, and for the purpose of beginning his investigation into the evil of the citadel.
Caesarion
Your world was burning, and I stood watching.

Words: 415638
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2013, 5:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Cruel World

Postby Caesarion on July 5th, 2015, 5:52 pm

The man stood in the center of the prairie, concentrating. He was practically meditating, focusing his Res so that he might balance his djed flow and more easily cast. While he balanced his body, he also balanced his mind, content to look deeply into the source of his ire - Priskil's enemies, and moreso, enemies of the good hearted.

Slaves weren't privy to much information on Sahova - at least not by their master. However, with the level of autonomy that Vox had been given, he managed to determine a lot of information about Sahova. He looked into details like population, for one, and the key figures of the city. While there wasn't much to be found simply in the scribblings in the Great Library, mostly because a lot of it was written in some bizarre language, he did manage to determine a few things. The population of the city was five-hundred, or slightly more. He didn't know if this census counted test subjects that were of intelligent races, or only the permanent residents. He figured it only implied permanent residents, otherwise it might be much higher. That was one thing that was absurd to him about Sahova - how much life, intelligent life, they let end in search of power that may never present itself. Half the time, they didn't even know what they wanted, they just cut people up and did horrible things to them. The amount of pain in this city was excruciating for someone who actually held a single snippet of feeling for other people.

The issue with Sahova was that the vast majority of the populous employed these cruel methods themselves, and so they would never abide a change in policy. Trying to change the city from within was nearly impossible without the favor of the Council of Five, but they were possibly the most evil of them all. They had no regard for life. They oversaw all this cruelty and thought nothing of it. On that note, he didn't know all of them, but he did know the two primary deviants responsible for the cesspool that was this city. There was Archwizard Zarik Mashaen. He didn't really know all that much about him, but he knew that his rank transcended that of councilman and that he was extremely old and a Nuit. Being an extremely old Nuit was pretty common here, but he seemed to be especially old, even for them. He didn't know what sort of magic he employed, but Vox figured it must have been a very powerful one.

His right hand man was Lector Qiao. He was especially old as well, and quite powerful. From what Vox remembered, Lector was someone that Telemaran looked up to considering he was a very powerful hypnotist. He was also probably a lot more politically connected in this city than the Archwizard. Was Zarik a figurehead? Vox didn't know, but being in charge of the council instead of simply being given a rank possibly meant more connections. He also didn't know what sort of relationship Zarik had with Lector, but if they had issues with one another or if Lector wished to become Archwizard himself, then that was something the young mage could potentially exploit in the future. Caesarion initially wanted to leave this island, but as of lately, he determined that he was better served simply dismantling it. One thing he needed to be cautious of, however, was people reading into this intention. It was something he suppressed as a faint thought rather than as a wanting emotion, so as to prevent any aurists or otherwise from detecting this seed of rebellion in their midst.

One thing he wished for was to discover the good people of the city and bring them together. This would of course be difficult, and could create many more allies than enemies. An idea he had was - upon becoming a Wizard, which he believed to be possible - he would set up a shrine to Sylir, Priskil, Aquiras, Rak'Keli, Yahal, and other good aligned Gods in his lab. He would then begin to spread knowledge of such a thing, and hopefully a following would come about from the dust. An issue was that there were a lot of worshipers of Rhysol, or so was rumored, in this city. That was where fear of enmity came in.

Fortunately, he would never let fear dominate him. Even though he knew the odds were heavily against him, he still had the motivation to pursue his difficult ambitions. So - in the field, once he was done balancing his energies, he would stand up and very quickly get into a sort of battle stance. He thrust his palm forward, and a torrent of wind would burst outward, flinging apart a dry bush that was in front of him. He threw little fist-sized fireballs at the remnants as they were still airborne, lighting them aflame before they hit the ground. He sat back down, relaxed, returning to meditation. He took a bite of the bread he'd brought with him, relaxing his body. Hoping to recuperate djed.

It was at this moment that he heard a movement behind him, and he was called by the resonating voice of a woman.
Caesarion

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Cruel World

Postby Caesarion on July 5th, 2015, 6:26 pm

"Hey," the woman called. Looking at her, she was somewhat tall for a female, though not ridiculously so. She had jet black hair and a goth sort of complexion. Her face was attractive, though a woman's attraction had always meant nothing to Vox. Her attire was more interesting, as she was wearing what looked like light armor but surrounded by places where she could and did store weapons and other things. She was definitely rouge-like in appearance, instead of robed and all mage-y like the rest of the city. Caesarion was contrary to them all, as he simply had a collar, leather braces, then usually short linen pants and some sandals. He did appear humble, and like a slave, but fashionably so. "Hello," he replied to her, though not moving from his kneeling position.

She had a very curious look on his face, which made him sort of uncomfortable. "I've seen you around here a lot lately," she said. "Rare for a slave to be outside of the citadel so frequently. You sure your master is alright with that?" He simply blinked at her. Caesarion always expected that he would eventually be asked to go play at home like a nice boy, by some pompous wizard or another, though he didn't expect it to be so soon. "Who's to say I'm a slave? Perhaps I'm just going through a bizarre fashion stage." He gave her the typical sarcasm that he loved to give - and it actually made her laugh. Perhaps she wouldn't be too bad . . . maybe.

"No, I don't think that's the case. You have the demeanor of a slave and the appearance of one. Apprentices generally go out into the Prairie to uncover new forms of magic using the wide open space to their advantage. You simply hone the skills you have. You don't have any research materials or anything, implying you don't have any form of money. You're either a very bland apprentice with a very bland master or a slave trying to empower themselves." Her words were unquestionably forward and full of motive. She was, quite possibly, trying to frighten Vox for some unseen reason. He had encountered people like her in his life, back in Ravok, and he knew that the best answer to their personalities was to remain extremely cautious, vigilant, and to not trust their words. As she spoke, he simply sounded - "Mhm," and let her continue. "Why would you want to empower yourself? I have a theory. You see, it's my prerogative to know everything about everyone around me. Much like you, I try to keep a watch on things around me. Just, I'm better at it than you. At the end of Winter of last year, you were bought by Emarus Telemaran from a band of slavers that trade in Sylira. You were considered a very exquisite sort of slave, one that wasn't simply to be used as a test subject. Emarus showed you off and advertised you as his beacon of protection, meat that he owned that could battle for his glory. He didn't tell many people about you though, just a few friends and a few enemies." She stopped there, for a moment, looking the mage in the eyes.

As if she expected something of a response. "Well," he started, unsure of what exactly to say to her. "You're right about the lot of it. I am in fact the advertised male. I hope you didn't expect me to be more intimidating. I realize that my appearance is more of a prostitute's than an undertaker. I have a theory that Telemaran simply likes attractive boys." He kept his wit straight and his personality tame. He didn't let himself become uncalm, certainly not by this person who was very clearly attempting to scare him. "I've seen better looking," she said with a smirk. "Though certainly not in Sahova." He made sure to resolve her sentence with. The woman laughed and nodded her head. "What does Telemaran want from you, Caesarion?" She asked, and she used his real name - his birth name. He wondered how she knew about him. Why would she even care? Maybe she was simply the type to try and snoop around into everything?

"He wants a return on his investment, I suppose. Being a trader with no real magical talent of his own, he needs a bodyguard. Someone who will, if need be, slaughter the competition. An agent of gossip, lies, fear and backstabbing. He just wants an all-around machine. So, he picked an ambitious man with just enough potential to realize his dream without exceeding his expectations too quickly." That was really a collection of his guesses. What Telemaran really wanted was probably a mystery even to him. The rich rarely had a truly imperative reasoning behind their decisions. "I see," she said. "And - do you believe yourself to be capable of the expectations Telemaran has set out for you?" She asked bluntly. The young slave was expressionless at first, but then he smiled and curved his lip. "I have already exceeded his expectations." That was true. After all of the practice he had been committing himself to as of late, his powers in both hypnotism and reimancy were increasing rapidly, as well as talents in other things such as bodybuilding and running. He was becoming a very lethal weapon on his own.

"That is fortunate to hear. Now show me." She quickly pulled a dagger from its holster, staring at him for just a moment before she began to move her arms. He immediately understood the look, and focused his Res quickly so that when she would fling her dagger, a blast of air would push it aside. Just that happened, though Caesarion didn't feel very safe or comfortable in this situation when he had already depleted some of his djed earlier when practicing and meditating. He didn't have enough time to recuperate fully. "Impressive reaction time," she said. "Yes, well, not an impressive amount of wind left to deflect with. I have already used quite a bit of Djed today." He spoke honestly to her, in the hopes that she would not expect this fight to be equal paced. Not only that, but while Caesarion was improving rapidly, he was still not quite potent enough to duel the average combative Wizard. "That's fine. I will use my Djed wildly and deplete it enough that you'll just have to outlast me." She applied the energy of Flux to her legs, then dashed forward at the young man. It began.
Caesarion

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Cruel World

Postby Caesarion on July 5th, 2015, 6:52 pm

The woman ran at him extremely quickly. He barely had enough time to get into a decent battle stance before she was swinging her dagger at him like a madwoman. Luckily, because of his training in bodybuilding as of late, he was able to grab her arm as she lunged - overpower it - and prevent her from stabbing him. However, she then began to apply flux energy to her arm, and Vox was quickly overpowered himself. By this time though, he'd focused the Res and emitted it through his palm - as she would attempt to lunge with her brutish strength, a focused blast of wind would push her down against the ground. He drew his sword from his scabbard at this moment. "You're brutal, woman," he said. Wasn't quite in the mood for taunting considering that might decrease the likelihood of mercy when she inevitably overpowered him. "You're weak, man." Her eyes grew narrow and she seemed more steeled to kill him. She flung another dagger at him, this time the man making a preemptive slash forward with his longsword to try and catch it out of the air. It didn't nearly hit perfectly, only on the hilt of the knife, but enough for it to barely miss him and land by his feet. The man leaned over for a brief moment to grab the dagger, holding it in his offhand before throwing it at the mysterious woman attacking him.

She easily caught it, though he noticed it cut her hand and there was red liquid leaking out. Ichor? He wasn't sure. The woman sounded a sort of grunt, but she quickly returned the favor by throwing the dagger at him. Thing was, he wasn't nearly as skilled with his hands as she was, so his reaction was to throw another blast of wind at it. The dagger went off course, and the wind impacted her, knocking her off her feet. Vox charged in quickly at this point, attempting to stab her somewhere important with his longsword, hopefully so as to get her to back off and accept defeat. However, she was very quick on her feet, and she sprung her leg up and kicked him so hard against his longsword that the kinetic force transferred and brought a shocking pain to his hands and wrists. He reeled back and nearly whimpered, then she was back up again and attempting to stab him one more time. It was at this moment that he used hypnotism, 'flash', to disorient her. She would experience minor hallucinations in the form of visible memories of things that likely never happened. The experience made her halt on her feet for a moment, a period of time long enough that Caesarion would use his lower body strength to kick her in the gut. She fell back a third time and yelped. The flux in her feet seemed to be gone, because her movements stopped being as quick.

Overall, the fight was longer than one might expect. The woman was being patient and cautious, although perhaps she wasn't nearly using her full strength. Or maybe direct altercation was simply not her strength. She did, after all, fight like a sneakthief or an assassin. "You're a good fighter," she said. "Better than I expected you to be - though still not good enough. There are hundreds of mages here that are better than you. I'm one of them, but I give pity because you haven't had the time to adapt." She smiled, wiping her face and straightening her outfit. Caesarion, over in front of her, was panting and trying to balance his breaths. "Now, what God do you worship?" She asked the man. It was a strange question for Sahova, which struck him as odd, but he had the politeness in him to answer honestly. "Priskil," he said. She nodded her head. "An honest deity. Does that mean that you, as her follower, are keen to telling the truth?" It was a rhetorical question. She quickly followed up.

"I want to know - and I want you to swear to me - are you going to try and murder Emarus Telemaran?"

The question was extremely bladed. She first questioned his morals, and his honesty, before it came forward. But he knew, he knew, never to trust a person like this. They were wild cards. If she was an agent of his master, then not only did she already know how he fought and could best him, but she had knowledge at her disposal that could doom Vox from ever returning to glory. He could not tell her this thing that she wanted to know. "I don't want to kill my master. I would suffer repercussions too quickly." He lied. He had the still heart of a perfect liar, too. He would not dare allow the knowledge of his ambitions to ever leave him. The woman simply smirked, and she said, "Okay." He didn't know what that meant, but by the time he had the courage to ask her intentions, she was walking away and he decided not to call her back to him.
Caesarion

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Cruel World

Postby Caesarion on July 5th, 2015, 9:35 pm

There was a certain mystique about the woman he had encountered that was unexplainable. She did not leave behind anything, not a whisper of her motives nor her name. She was most certainly someone of some prominence, or at least, not a slave. She was probably a spy, considering the moment she came to him she immediately demanded information. The entire meeting was that of information gathering - discovering his personality, his combat capability, and of course his intentions for improving these two important dimensions of himself. She was trying to learn from the moment she came to him. One thing that he liked about Sahova was that, at its core, it was exceptionally predictable. No one ever actively tried to waste time, so they wouldn't come to you seeking simple conversation. They would come to you because they wanted something, whatever that something was, and you just had to determine it before they left you robbed blind of your value. Luckily Caesarion had always known people like this. Ravok was much the same way, except the people there were far better schemers than the bludgeoners of this city. He did not respect anything about them, nor did he expect anything of them but lies and violence.

In a way, the sons and daughters of Rhysol were perhaps the most talented of individuals. He had to admit that the sort of beauty and luster he found in Ravok did not ever shimmer elsewhere, not in Syliras or Sahova. He sort of missed the cruelty of the city, for it mirrored its beauty. The cruelty here only mirrored smog and illness, decrepit lives stacked atop one another. That, to him, was a crime against humanity and reason.

Regardless, his mental tangent was over. Whoever that woman was, she was either a friend or a foe, and nothing in-between. If she was there to offer assistance to Caesarion, it wouldn't have mattered, because at the moment he knew he had to kill Telemaran himself. He would not owe favors to dark Lords of the citadel, nor Ladies, for something that he could and had to do on his own. So there it was. She was useless to him, and that was simply all. He could return to his reimancy training now, even though the waif helped to deplete his djed reserves. He would let his flow return calm and operational before he returned to his training. The man ate, drank water, and balanced his breathing for some reps. He would do sit-ups, push-ups, squats, and run around. Physical stamina and djed were somewhat related, but not enough for all of these actions to be counter-productive. Instead, by getting his mind back into balance through repetition of intended actions, he would feel much more comfortable with his casting ability. Caesarion had, as of late, at least become quite a bit better at using the physical and the magical to balance one another out - reflect positively on one another as well. He was grateful of this, because it was something that the Nuit didn't have up their sleeves and he did. The best of them would use physical combat and flux together, but that was exclusive of itself.

Caesarion was intent on mastering all possible disciplines and synchronizing one with the other. If he could not have that, then he would have death, for he needed to be a force to be reckoned with in order to survive the ordeals he would forcefully bash into head on. So - before the dusk would come and he'd be forced to return, he brought himself back into focus. He finished off his daily exercises with one last lap, then restored his reimancy training to full vigor. The man would blast wind and fire in unison, seeing their inflamed and explosive properties if combined. Considering they actually did empower the other, and probably lead to extreme burns and deterioration on impact (judging by what he'd witnessed), he figured his new innovation was proving successful indeed. He could return home to Telemaran's, and pray to Priskil for all his thoughts - relay to her his pondering, of the dark secrets and evils of Sahova, and his dilemma between death and mercy, and perhaps judged by his feelings he could hope that she swayed his thoughts to the path she desired. Either way, all of this would be for the good of the world, and the hope of the weak and fragile.
Caesarion

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Cruel World

Postby Keene Ward on August 16th, 2015, 8:10 pm

Grades

“For there is nothing lost, that may be found, if sought.”
-Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene

Caesarion

Skills
    Reimancy +3
    Rhetoric +2
    Acrobatics +1
    Socialization +3
    Subterfuge +1
    Acting +1
    Philosophy +1
    Observation +3
    Storytelling +1
    Tactics +1
    Planning +1
    Bodybuilding +2
    Meditation +2
    Endurance +1
    Cleaning +1
    Weapon: Dagger +1
    Unarmed Combat +1

Lores
    The Hierarchy of Sahova
    Zarik Mashaen: Archwizard of Sahova
    Lector Qiao: "Right Hand Man"

Rewards/Consequences
-A sprained wrist from his spar, sore and tender for three days as long as not too much strain is put on it
-A dent in his longsword from blocking a flux strike, minimal but noticeable

Notes
Okie dokie. So as a heads up, obscuring emotions from skilled aurists is very difficult without some serious training. If you don't write in the manipulation of res, I can't award points for it. Also, the skill that would involve grabbing someone's wrist in a fight would be a combination of acrobatics and unarmed combat. There were a few points I couldn't award for powerplaying as well. Please make sure you're playing to your skill level. One way you can check this is ask yourself the question: Should my PC be able to fight a trained assassin of the council? If you're not sure, I would err on the side of caution rather than equality. I would suggest maybe adding a bit more detail in your combat to better show what it is you're exactly trying to portray, because I didn't get the vibe from your writing that you were powerplaying intentionally. Details help clear up the grey areas! :)
If you have any questions or concerns, please send me a PM!

Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)