[Verified by Crosspatch] Nythis and Sithyn Drawne

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Nythis and Sithyn Drawne

Postby Nythis Drawne on April 14th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Nythis & Sithyn
RISE FROM THE ASHES
"How can you rise if you have not burned?"
"Scars have the strange power to remind us that our past is real."
001. Appearance

Date of Birth: 92 Winter 330
Race: Akalak
Profession: Animal Handler at Impawsible Pets

Height: 7"4'
Skin: Midnight Blue
Hair: Black
Eyes: His remaining eye is pale blue

Fluent: Common
Poor: Tukant
Basic: Kontinese

Nythis's and Sithyn's most defining physical feature is the burns scars that cover the right side of their face and neck.
Important note: Nythis will often change his appearance with the use of illusionism.

Nythis Drawne has led a life of violence and adversity and his appearance attests to the wrongs he has suffered… and those he has committed.

He stands at 7’4”, but it is not his height that people think of when they recall the Akalak, but the burn scars that mar half of his face and neck. The discoloured, uneven skin is inflexible and leathery to the touch. The damage extends to the loss of his left eye, the shell of his ear and most of his hearing on the affected side.

His voice too, suffered damage from the fire. Nythis was left with a harsh, rasping voice which he is unable to raise to a shout. Due to the immobility of the scarred half of his face and the way it limits his facial expressions he has developed a very animated voice to communicate his emotions.

The undamaged side of his face has a brooding look, with a prominent brow, high cheekbones and a heavy jaw.

Midnight blue skin contrasts with his eyes which are as pale as his skin is dark. Nythis's hair black and is kept shoulder length, with a silver streak at his left temple.

His build is typical of the Akalak, but due to fairly recent lifestyle changes he has lost some muscle mass. He has a rectangular body shape, with his shoulders, waist and hips about equally wide, with a relatively long torso.

His body bears scars similar to those of his face, as well as areas where the scarring is smooth and a shade lighter than his skin. As he has aged, he has lost some flexibility because of the tightening of the scars.

Two men with half a face to share between them...
002. Personality: Nythis

Likes: Nature, animals, drawing, beauty in any aspect of life, Ionu.
Dislikes: People who stare at his scars, small talk. Has a fear of fire.
Ethics: Judges people and their actions on an individual basis, has a well defined, but somewhat unconventional moral code.
Religion: Ionu, was granted first gnosis of illusionism.

Cynical, distrustful and easily aggravated, Nythis (the “light” personality) is not the most personable of characters. He does not speak much, but is an avid listener.

Nythis prefers solitude, where he can be himself without people staring at his scars. Often this takes the form of hunting trips, with his horse for company and nature’s beauty surrounding him. He has a great interest in the wildlife of Mizahar, including the behaviour and life cycles of animals, especially the idea of metamorphosis.

Generally he prefers animals to people as he values their honest simplicity and the fact that they are not bothered by his face.

If you manage to stick with him long enough, you might start to see glimpses of the Akalak he could have been… Hints of honour as he battles… A loyalty that stretches farther than the gold paid… A love for beautiful things… And maybe the ghost of a young boy looking for something worthwhile to fight for.

002. Personality: Sithyn

Likes: People and their inner workings, illusions, Ionu, drawing, beautiful things.
Dislikes: Practical activities, loneliness, has a fear of fire, Konti.
Ethics: Is a bit of a chameleon when it comes to his morality an beliefs, usually acts in a way that he believes will suit his purposes. His treatment of others is usually dependant on how they treat him
Religion: Ionu, was granted first gnosis of illusionism.

Sithyn is interested in people and enjoys spending time speaking to and observing them.

Filled with contempt towards Nythis, Sithyn (the “dark” personality) doesn’t believe that Nythis should be in charge… He resents Nythis for honing their shared body into something that appears to be a savage, brainless brute.

He believes while their appearance might be appropriate for Nythis, it is the antithesis of who he wishes to be. It would be extremely rare for Sithyn to not be using illusionism to alter their appearance when he is in control of their body.

Sithyn wishes for a life where he can use his mind instead of his physical strength. One where he can gain what he believes to be true power. Sithyn’s desire has led to him taking control of their body for extended periods of time, his determination giving him some staying power over Nythis’s desperate search for purpose.

“The past is never dead. It's not even past.”
003. History

Sithyn and Nythis were born and raised in Riverfall and raised their son, Vanyth, there. From there the Akalak emigrated to Alvadas where he stayed for some time before deciding to travel.
Nythis and Sithyn are both defined by a traumatic burning in his childhood and the loss of his family that accompanied it.

After the death of his parents they found work and a place to stay with a butcher in Riverfall, earning his keep by running errands, completing deliveries and hunting for venison. In their free time Nythis trained with his uncle, a Cerulean. Meanwhile Sithyn developed his skills in trickery and drawing optical illusions and also became a worshipper of Ionu.

Sithyn was born in the fires that left the body he shares with Nythis scarred.

He became obsessed with mirrors and the monstrous half-faced creature that stared back at him, stealing them when he could in order to take them apart and to discover a way to “fix” the face that was reflected there. Soon this obsession with changing his face, grew into a love of trickery and the idea of changing people’s perception of reality. After Ionu granted him the first illusionism gnosis he was able to take his obsession to a whole new level.

The event in which he was marked by Ionu :
11’th of Summer year 341, Riverfall

Sithyn ran his fingers over the smooth, colourful surface of the mask in his hand, his heart beating hard with fear at the risk he was taking by sneaking behind the stage. It did not prevent him from replaying the memory of the wonders he had just seen at the amphitheater in his mind, however.

The mask had been so much more than a mask on the face of the Inverted. It had been a real face with exaggerated, comical expressions that had the crowd roaring with laughter. It is more of a face than I will ever have, Sithyn thought bitterly. After a moment's hesitation he lifted the it to his face. When nothing extremely unpleasant happened, against all his expectations, he fastened the strings that secured it.

The black curtains he was hiding between undulated in the breeze, surrounding the daydreaming child. Most of the audience had left and the amphitheater was silent, except for the birds that nested in the trees growing there.

"Thief" A voice said. For a moment the boy believed it was only the whisper of the smooth fabric of the curtains, but as he turned he came face to face with a woman. His breath caught and he thinks he might have died of shame if he did not have the the mask to shield him from the fierce black eyes of the impossibly beautiful woman before him.

She had raven hair and was dressed in the same colour, with a feather boa around her neck. Her dress and hair seemed indistinguishable from the flowing fabric behind her. Sithyn blinked, but the woman remained strangely entangled.

She did not seem angry, despite her accusation.

"I was only borrowing it, my lady. I was going to put it back when I was finished trying it on. I just don't want today to end yet." He was careful not to contradict her directly. He had discovered long ago that adults liked being right and hated being proven wrong by a child. For good measure he said, "Forgive me" and lowered his eyes to the floor.

She raised an eyebrow.

"We’ll see about that. Tell me, did you enjoy the performance?" she asked.

It was not the response he had expected and there was something suspicious in the way she spoke. ‘Is she tricking me?’ The woman's gaze felt strangely heavy upon him. People generally avoided looking at him whenever possible. He glanced at her to gauge her expression. The black feathers of her boa shimmered, reflecting the light in a rainbow of colours. Sithyn was certain they had not done that before.

"It was the greatest thing I have ever seen. I don't think I'll ever be happier than I was today." He said with a solemn certainty. "I'll never come close to being as great as the Inverted," he added, guessing that the woman was part of the group and hoping to flatter her. ‘Do I really stand a chance of getting away with this?’ He wondered. His vivid imagination procured an image of him in the Gideon Arena, surrounded by people looking at his scars with a warrior towering over him. He swallowed, his mouth suddenly dry. It stirred Nythis too and he started to reach for the stings of control. ‘No, no, no,’ Sythis thought. ‘Not now. The idiot. Did he think he’d be able to handle the situation any better?’ With some difficulty he managed to quiet Nythis.

“They are remarkable, aren’t they? Their performance was in my honour and they certainly did not disappoint.” The woman’s eyes glittered with amusement. Did she say something funny? Sithyn tried to remember who the performance had been dedicated to. ‘They didn’t mention anyone but Ionu, did they?’

“And they aren’t the only one who gave me a gift today.” She drew a picture from the folds of her dress. One of his. The one he had left for the owner of the mask he was borrowing. He had spent hours drawing those trees and the the face held between the branches. Some people saw only the trees, while others saw the face.

The woman held out a hand, slender fingered and graceful. He eyed it with distrust. “Return the mask to me and I shall give you as many as you could ever want.”

“No.”

The woman’s eyes flashed dangerously, but her voice retained it’s pleasant tone.

“It’s only a mask. Give it to me.”

“A mask is never only a mask. It changes the face of the person behind it…” Sithyn said, taking a step back from the woman.

“It’s not real. The face behind the mask stays the same.” The woman took a step towards him.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s not real. It still changes what people see and people believe what they see… and… and it becomes... real to them in a way. Please, my lady I promise I’ll put the mask back.”

"Do you dare reject my gift? I have been generous boy, but I can be cruel. Do I need to repeat myself again?"

The woman's voice had deepened as she spoke and and Sithyn found himself looking at her boa again. A boa of raven's feathers going black and rainbow and black again. He had heard something, once. 'About the gods...’ He thought. ‘The gods. Ionu.’

“In my honour," she had said.

Could it be? If it was...’ He would not deny the god that could make the ordinary extraordinary, give mortals a glimpse of something that was more than the sordid blandness of everyday life...

A god who could make that which is ugly beautiful.

He undid the fastenings and removed the mask.

And the woman that might have been Ionu laughed, a sudden bright sound like a bell ringing

Sithyn’s blushed and handed over the mask reluctantly, resisting the desire to hide his face in his hands.

"Two boys with half a face to share between them. A cruel trick of Lhex, that. Come here, let me play one of my own, little Akalak.”

Sythin steps closer, not really caring if he lived or died as humiliation swept over him in burning waves as his skin darkened even further. He just wanted it to be over. ‘Can it truly be Ionu?’ he wondered. ‘It’s probably one of the Inverted punishing me for sneaking in here and trying on the mask.’ He shuddered when the woman cupped his face in her hands. The hand on the unharmed side of his face was pleasantly warm and the touch sent an odd sensation through him. ‘Is this what magic feels like?’

Then he realized that she had lifted both hands. It was unthinkable. Why would she want to… The image of her fingers on his scars struck him like a kick from a glassbeak.

She lowered her head and laid a kiss on his cheek. A featherlight touch that would meld with the memories of those his mother had given him. Later in his life when he thought of this strange, beautiful day he would always question whether the kiss had actually happened, half believing that it had been another daydream of a boy with too much imagination still swept away in the magic of the performance he had seen.

She laughed again at his expression and plucked a raven feather from her boa and tucked it into his shirt. It tickled as it fell between his skin and the loose fabric.

The curtains billowed in a sudden gust of wind, hiding the woman from his sight. As the curtains descended they revealed emptiness where the woman had been.

Eventually Sithyn left the the small, enclosed space and re-entered the world strangely certain that he would never be quite the same again.

That night, as he undressed for bed he remembered the feather and wondered how he could have forgotten. He shook out his clothes, knowing that it would have fallen from his shirt long ago, but suddenly desperate for a memento of the day.

It caught his eye as he was searching the floor. Shimmering black on his midnight blue skin. The image of a feather, frozen in its fall, down the center of his chest.

Some years after completing the rite of adulthood Nythis bonded to a female kelvic named Valia. The union resulted in a son at the cost of Valia’s life. Nythis named his son Vanyth after the Akalak custom of combining the parent’s names to form a new one for the child.

Valia’s death had an immensely negative effect on both Nythis and Sithyn. They felt guilty for her death and it lead to them to becoming more aware of the situation of many women in Riverfall and the injustices that some suffered. As Nythis fell into depression this new awareness resulted him becoming hyper-critical of the Akalak way of life. His relationship with his son suffered under the strain of Nythis’s disillusionment and despite of Vanyth’s pleas, Nythis decided to leave for Alvadas soon after Vanyth completed his own rite of adulthood. Nythis had also noticed that Sithyn had taken a darker turn over the years and he had felt forced to repress his darker personality. This too contributed to his decision to leave Riverfall.

Nythis remained in Alvadas for three decades, enjoying Ionu’s illusions and pondering her mysteries. After he left Nythis travelled widely and did mostly mercenary work, while Sithyn continued his quest of acquiring knowledge of every kind.
Last edited by Nythis Drawne on September 1st, 2015, 7:33 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Nythis Drawne
How can you rise, if you have not burned?

Words: 26571
Joined roleplay: April 12th, 2015, 8:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Nythis Drawne

Postby Nythis Drawne on August 22nd, 2015, 5:32 pm

Nythis & Sithyn
RISE FROM THE ASHES
"If happiness is the absence of fever then I will never know happiness. For I am posessed by a fever for knowledge, experience and creation."
004. Skills

Hoping to expand on these skills through flashbacks.

Physical
SkillExperienceTotalLevel
Weapon- Longsword10 SP10Novice
Weapon- Shortbow5 SP5Novice
Weapon- Lakan10 SP10Novice
Unarmed Combat10 RB10Novice
Riding- Horse5 SP5Novice
Hunting5 SP5Novice
Animal Husbandry10 SP + 5 XP15Novice
Cleaning3 XP3Novice
Cooking1 XP1Novice
Wilderness Survival- Grasslands5 SP5Novice

Mental
Meditation1 XP1Novice
Observation4 XP4Novice
Tactics1 XP1Novice
Endurance1 XP1Novice
Planning1 XP1Novice
Organization1 XP1Novice
Medicine1 XP1Novice
Intelligence1 XP1Novice
Subterfuge1 XP1Novice
#---
#---

Social
Socialization3 XP3Novice
Leadership1 XP1Novice
Intimidation1 XP1Novice
Rhetoric1 XP1Novice
#---
#---

Trade
#---
#---
#---

Gnosis
Illusionism: 1 Gnosis Mark

Nythis's Gnosis is in the shape of a falling raven's feather located over his heart. The gnosis mark will sometimes turn slowly like the feather is falling through the air.

"Those so marked with one of Ionu's gnosis marks can create minor illusions involving a single sense (touch, taste, smell, sight, sound). The illusionist can easily change multiple aspects of themselves and their bodies. Hair color, eye color, the tone of their skin, the accent of their voice is all very reasonable for them. However, they cannot stack illusions, meaning if their chosen illusions involves sight, all their subsequent illusions at that particular time must include sight. They cannot, however, alter sight and sound at the same time. But they can, however, affect multiple sights and sounds with enough focus to maintain multiple illusions. Minor illusions last for only a single hour, and they can have up to ten illusions ongoing at a time. If they wish, they can trade multiple illusions for longer time periods. That means they can have up to one illusion for ten hours or ten illusions for one hour or any combination therein. Again, multiple illusions can only effect one type of perception at a time. If they have ten illusions ongoing, all ten illusions must affect the same sense, e.g. sight. Minor illusions can easily change numbers on playing cards, dice or the appearance of a street or shop sign. Minor illusions can affect multiple people at a time."
-From the Illusionism wiki page.

"It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves."
005. Lore

Planning on using flashbacks to make the character's history more believable.

Social
Lore of Akalak Culture
Two
Three
Four

Two
Three
Four

Event
One
Two
Three
Four

Other 1
One
Two
Three
Four

Other 2
One
Two
Three
Four

Other 3
One
Two
Three
Four
Last edited by Nythis Drawne on September 7th, 2015, 1:49 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Nythis Drawne

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Nythis Drawne

Postby Nythis Drawne on August 22nd, 2015, 8:41 pm

Nythis & Sithyn
RISE FROM THE ASHES
“To have so little, and it of so little value, was to be quaintly free.”
006. Possessions

Housing cashed in.

Clothing
White Linen Shirt
Black Wool Pants
Linen Undergarments
Black Wool Coat
Dark Brown Boots

Equipment
1 Waterskin
1 Backpack which contains:
Wooden Comb
Wooden Brush
Soap
One Week's Balanced Rations
1 eating knife
Flint & Steel
600 Gold Mizas

Miscellaneous
One
Two
Three
Four

Heirloom
Nythis's and Sithyn's Lakan

The lakan they forged for their Rite of Passage is a black and silver coloured double edged blade, with one side serrated and the other smooth. The grip is in the form of a raven, with its wings forming the cross-guard. Along both sides of the blade there is an engraving of falling raven's feather. On the black side of the blade this feather is silver and on the silver side it is black. The sheath is black leather, stamped with a shallow geometric raven feather pattern.

Ledger
NameCreditDebitTotal
Starting gold-100.0.0100.0.0
Housing cashed in-500.0.0600.0.0
Room at the Cubacious Inn for Summer 515 AV (91 days)9.1.0-590.9.0
Living Expenses for Summer 515 AV- Common135.0.0-455.9.0

“What we seek when we wander usually leads us back home.”
007. Housing

Housing cashed in.
Nythis will be staying at the Cubacious Inn for Autumn 515 AV.
Last edited by Nythis Drawne on September 19th, 2015, 11:54 am, edited 14 times in total.
Nythis Drawne

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Nythis Drawne

Postby Nythis Drawne on August 22nd, 2015, 8:42 pm

Nythis & Sithyn
RISE FROM THE ASHES
“Everyone in our town has a story-but it's not the one he tells himself. Its author has a thousand eyes, a thousand ears, and five hundred pens that never stop scribbling.”
008. Threads

Will be focusing on flashbacks for a while.

Thank you Fallon for the great character sheet template!

Summer 515 AV
DateTitleTypeProgress
1The Gaping MawCity EntryComplete
1A Room of One's OwnSoloIn Progress
20On an Otherwise Quiet EveningSoloPlaceholder
31Dog DaysJobComplete
60Cold BloodedJobPlaceholder
62Isurian SteelShoppingPlaceholder

Autumn 515 AV
DateTitleTypeProgress
EarlyOne Fine Autumn MorningThe SwitchIn Progress
#--
#--

Flashback
DateTitleLocationProgress
1 Spring 339The Valterrian TreeRiverfallComplete
4 Autumn 341The Pointy EndRiverfallIn Progress
#---
Nythis Drawne

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes