Location [Alvadas Location] The Gaping Maw

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Alvadas Location] The Gaping Maw

Postby Amon Ironheart Terras on November 30th, 2015, 4:28 am

Fall in the Year 515 AV the 91

A stone face was guarding the passage and guess by the way it eyes followed him it was either alive or Amon was drunk. Walking up to the face and running his hands alone its mouth he could feel it, so that ruled out drunk. So magic then, a golem perhaps. He took a step back to see if there were other ways to enter the city. The guide had said the only was in was though its mouth but he was but that had to be wrong. Amon was just about to consider that may be the guide had sold him a load, when those lips moved and it spoke. " “You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

A stone golem, guarding a gate was asking deep questions. So it was a golem and the guide was not crook. If the only way was through its mouth then he had to answer the question.

"I am here to drink and work, that should be reason enough to let me through." His voice had taken on a joyful pitch, it always did when he lied. It sounded fake even as he said it. Like he saying something he didn't believe. Which was true.The stupid thing just started staring at Amon, he didn't believe it. Hell Amon didn't even believed that.

So it asked him again"Why are you here ?"

He couldn't lie to it, it saw right through his attempts. So he stop holding down his anger, his hate. He was yelling now his voice settling back to its original pitch. " You want to know you blasted piece of stone ? You want to know why I want to get in this bloody city ?"

"Being home hurt and this city changes with the day I'm hoping it can change me." The words came out quiet just a bit more than a whisper and it hurt him more than anything else on the trip so far. The open up though to let him through. So he entered the city, a little more anger but hopeful that he may find change.
My characters so far
Amon
Amon Ironheart Terras
Player

Words: 34914
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2015, 3:14 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Noven on December 18th, 2015, 4:43 am

15th of Winter, 515AV

Noven stared up at the gargantuan face and tried his best not to scowl. He'd take an island full of undead over a talking wall of stone any day, but there was no point in letting the eerie thing know.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, strangers, why are you here?”

They had their answers ready. Nov had made sure of it, holding them back until they could watch a few other visitors pass through the Maw first. He wasn't about to trust any foreign magic, let alone something as unnatural as a giant, sentient face made of stone. What he hadn't counted on was Mae giving her answer first without so much as batting a lash.

"Freedom," she replied, her bright smile and glittering, green eyes filled with hope. "I'm here to flourish, and to be free."

Pain lanced through his heart as he looked upon her, facing the Maw with nothing but genuine eagerness to leave the past behind. After everything she had been through...the fear, the abuse, the loneliness...she still stood straight and tall, all five feet of her, not a tick wasted dwelling on something that left most crippled for life. Not once did she blame him for what happened. And yet, if it hadn't been for him, if he hadn't gotten her involved...

"Sex," interrupted another before the Maw could so much as shift a stony muscle, "booze, and Noven. Not entirely in that order, and preferably all at once."

Melody wore a self-amused little smile, purposefully choosing to look only at Noven, as if waiting to see whether her net would catch something shiny this time. Sometimes I just want to wring her neck like a rag, the Sunberthian seethed to himself. Silently, of course, lest the blond be given new ideas to pester into fruition.

"I'm here for The Mischief," Nov answered last, refusing to rise to the lass's bait. "It sails in Spring, I'm told, so I have no choice but to stay until then."

"Very well," the face intoned, "We shall see if your numbers remain the same come Spring."

The hell was that supposed to mean?

There was an odd grinding sound as stones began to move. For a moment, he was half certain the Maw was going to reject their ill-matched, ragtag trio. But then the mouth opened, allowing them passage through.

Glancing at both of his companions, Noven scooped Wick into his arms and took the first step into the city. There was no opportunity here to prepare.

Only one way to know what lay beyond.

Noven
Taste my fist

Words: 816073
Joined roleplay: December 16th, 2013, 11:11 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Marion Kay on January 19th, 2016, 1:44 am

She stood.

There was little else to do, as she trailed her gaze over the wall's face. It returned the favor, it's expression set in smiling but stony indifference. Marion felt herself mirroring it, her own lips drawing into a hard line and her eyes narrowing into scrutiny. Never before had she had cause to enter the city. Her departure those three years ago had been her first time to ever leave the confines of the illusion-steeped walls.

She could remember how strange the outside world had felt, how unnerving it was to walk on grass that remained grass, to see trees that bent always in the direction the wind pushed them, to see a sea spread before her in all its perpetual glory, the picture of eternity. For the first many days, she couldn't shake the feeling that the world was simply biding its time, waiting for her to grow used to its stillness only to pull its solidarity out from beneath her.

Those, she thought, had perhaps been the most difficult days of her life. She could remember how demeaning the homesickness had felt, how she had wrestled and screamed and fought against it. And she had thought that, upon seeing these walls once more, it might needle its way into her bones once again. The city was so close. She could almost touch it. She swore she could taste it. She had expected some sense of relief -- she had prepared herself to hate it. But as she stood gazing at the wall, and as it sat gazing back at her, she felt nothing at all.

A lizard, which had begun a cautious trail across the bridge of the wall's nose, scattered in a daze of panic as the thing's lips parted to speak. "You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?"

Marion shifted her shoulders, the pressure of her pack having suddenly grown uncomfortable. Something -- it felt like the corner of a book -- was digging into her spine. The birdcages she held in each hand seemed to swing in unison as their inhabitants shuffled restlessly. "I live here," she offered simply, with a bite of impatience and in no mood to entertain the city's probing.

The face fell motionless for a tick. When it opened its mouth again, Marion felt an acute stab of irritation that it was not to offer her passage. "No, you do not."

She dropped the birdcages to the ground with a deliberate clang and crossed her arms. "I'm Marion Kay." Her voice took on an authoritarian affectation, as if this were explanation enough. "My family has lived here for generations. This is my home."

The stone remained impassive and unimpressed: "Two truths and a lie, but not a single reason why. What is it that bids you return?"

The answer trickled through her mind, a clean, cool brook of thought fed by the memory of a harsh, sneering face. It was a face drowned in a cacophony, a chaos the likes of which she hadn't known in three years. Among the chaos was a sensation so distinct she felt it as twin pinpricks, one between her eyes, the other in her sternum. She knew exactly why she had returned. It was hate.

Her voice when she next spoke was controlled, but only just. Ice lingered on each syllable, putting emphasis at the end of every word so that each grew more distinct. "I intend to collect a debt."

As if to give the impression of thought, the stone face paused for a tick before deeming this an acceptable answer. The face's jaws rumbled wider with its final words of welcome. "We shall see who is collected, in the end. Welcome back."
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
Marion Kay
Flung out of space.

Words: 177003
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 8:03 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Cyrene Everwind on January 19th, 2016, 3:29 pm

21st summer 505AV

11:21PM

Description "Cyrene" Thoughts Isur Tukant Others

The Isurian bodied woman stood out in the open A glaive strapped to her back shining, glinting in the sunlight. The blazing carmine of her red right arm shining brightly in the midday sun. Her eyes narrowed as she stepped towards the large open face. Her possessions in a pack slung over her left shoulder as the statuesque face seemingly smiled down on her. Step by step she drew closer as the caravan not but twenty five feet behind her started to unload their goods. The voice then rumbled out through the stone. Weighty, and purpose filled but androgynous in origin. She paused as it spoke.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?” The voice echoed like the rumbling stones of a land slide. She simply curled the corner of her mouth into a smile the tight ponytail of her hair rocking as she cocked her head to the side too.
This wasn’t the oddest thing she’d ever seen It didn’t even rank in the top fifty. She simply responded with a short and cold reply.
“I’m here because I travel. And I travel to find my home. I hope I can find a home here. At least for a while.” With that a small rumbling chuckle came from the stone.
“Welcome to the city ethaefel. May you find the home you’re searching for.” With a loud groan, the sound of scratching stone and the rumble of loose granite the jaws of the face opened slowly achingly. She spoke under her breath in Isurian. “I’ve been searching for my home for over four-hundred years, I doubt I’ll find too many answers here.” The face almost seemed to crack a smile with it’s jaws open and again spoke.
“The city knows all. Even the location of her.” With that her cold demeanour snapped. Ands she took off not at a slow walking pace but a near sprint into the city. She can’t be. Dammit this city better give me some answers!
Cyrene Everwind
Beauty in the Blaze. Song in the Steel

Words: 89296
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2016, 10:34 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kai Wavecrest on January 29th, 2016, 11:55 pm

10th of Winter, 515 A.V
He was casual.

Blonde hair bobbing in its hold, wispy strands escaped the bun and fell to the Svefra's shoulders. The wind was blowing gently, warm and carefree as it pressed against the white tunic of the sea farer. Across the man's chest was a sling of soft baby blue cotton, in it a small round bundle. At first glance it would appear to be a child, perhaps a newborn babe, but the blithe grace of the man and the hand rolled cigarette balancing between his lips suggested a different package. He was no father. Not that he knew of, at least.

Raising thin fingers, the Svefra inhaled deeply, pulling the cigarette from his lips and admiring the view. A tall stone structure loomed upwards, stretching towards the grey sky with an ominous and mysterious presence. Blue eyes scanning the walls, Kai exhaled, throwing his head back and blowing upwards. The item in his pack squirmed in response, burying itself deeper into the man's chest.

He raised a hand, placing it on the sling, "Ah. Sorry, Quims. Nasty habit, I know." Kai patted the baby piglet to soothe him and lifted a foot to put out the burning tobacco on the bottom of his boot. When the smoke receded and he was pleased with the results, Kai tucked the remaining cigarette into his pocket and continued sauntering towards the statue.

He remembered his first trip to the city of illusions. He had been a mix of both terrified and awed. Now, he was just excited. Throwing arms open as if embracing a long lost companion, Kai walked closer, greeting it first, "Ah, Alvadas! How have you been, ol' friend?"

No response, which wasn't surprising... given he was talking to stone. "What? Don't recognize me?" Another sly grin from the blue eyed man. The piglet squirmed again, unable to get comfortable and it poked its head upwards, looking out to see what the fuss was about. It oinked once in curiosity. Kai placed his hands on his hips, waiting.

After a moment, the stone shifted and rumbled, a strong voice calling out to him, “You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

"Stranger? I've certainly been called worse," Kai dusted dirt off of his pants and with a daring grin, responded to the great wall guardian, "We're here to party, of course." He felt as if he was daring the city to give him an interesting time, which would no doubt be an easy task, given its reputation.

Satisfied by his response, the guardian offered another greeting, "Welcome back." Then, it shifted, the terrain rolling and shaking as it opened its mouth to allow entrance. Kai got a glimpse of what laid beyond the barrier and with a wave of his hand, he patted the stone as he walked inside as if to give it a high five.

He had arrived.

Kai Wavecrest
Player

Words: 6500
Joined roleplay: January 27th, 2016, 3:18 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tail on June 2nd, 2016, 1:54 am

SUMMER 516AV DAY OF THE 11th of 91st

Tail was perched high upon the Myrians shoulder. His height shifted side to side, to ease What he can on the girls shoulders. Kailulus' dark locks if hair pushed in front of Tail and his face. He grunted to himself as the caravan had intertwined with multiple travelers all if different descent and heritage. Tail frowned as he and Kailulus caravan was crowded by other weary travelers. "You alright, Tail?" Asked the Myrian wearily as she was tired from this long lasting journey. She didn't know much of or even about Tail. Though, she had seem to trust the Pycon so. Just as much Tail could trust her. One of the twins of the caravan had strolled up beside them, carefully riding and avoiding the other travelers.

"Kailulu, we will wait out for you miles out. We can bargain good trades up the road here. We'll be set for seasons!" He exclaimed and started to slow his horse. Kailulu turned and faced the man before her, catching Tail a bit off balance. She grunts as Tail repositioned himself. "Alright then. You wait for me. Don't leave, or pray to the Gods that I won't cut your ears off." Her Myrian instinct still had its tenderness.

All around the two traverlers, were more travelers, plus the mountain ranges were fairly foggy and it was difficult to tell how close they were from where they had stood. Well, ride. In this case. Tail peered closer towards the mountain. He thought he'd seen a face and jumped. His chest was thumping, and the scene around him grew more so intense then what the little Pycon was hoping. "Did you see that?" Asjed Tai as he tapped the Myrians shoulder. She looked up from talking to one of the twins. "You can go Tim." She said to the man before she had looked up.

"A face?" She asked, hearing other murmurs around Tail and Kailulu, Tail picked up on that this was supposed to be the Gaping Maw. "That's such a weird title. Why even give it something like that. It's not like it can actually speak?" Said Tail in awe as he looked around to hear some more information about this place. The Myrian had just shook her head slowly and kept her horse moving.“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?” Asked the Gaping Maw in a low tinted voice. Tail choked on his recent breath and almost hurtled over out of being startled. Kailulu stopped her mare, the horse knickered.

Tail was flabbergasted. He didn't know that this thing can speak, and now he does. It was odd really. When he thought it couldn't, well... Anyways. He was wrong, and nature prooved itself to him once again. "Traveling. I want to travel round the world. See what I can see before... Before..." He spoke quietly and he didn't want to tell anyone about how short a Pycons life can be. He was two years of age after all. The first year, he had stayed in Lhavit. He was traveling for the majority if his time. Now, he'll be traveling soon. Hoping to reach all that he can before he is called back to Harameus. Though, he wouldn't mind to stay with his God. His creator. His.

"And you, girl?" The Gaping Maw asked. She looked up, the Myrian did. "Just here to drop off Tail. He'd paid his ride here. And I'll keep the deal. That's all." She spoke highly of how she'll take this encounter. It mustered all of her will to respect this creature that could communicate. Though, it felt like it was only telepathic. "Fair your journey well, I do. Pycon, stay with good heart in my city. Have fun."

"Thank you." Tail said as he was lowered by the Gates from the hands of Kai, she kissed him on the forehead and layed him down gently. "Fair you well, Tail. Fair you well." With that, she waved him goodbye and mounted, heading back to the caravan she had temporarily left. Tail smiled, taking his leave to enter into the City of Illusion. What is there to come? What is there, to, go?

"Text."
"Text."
"It's not where the journey takes you. It's where you take the journey."

Secret :
Credits to Avatar go to Nivel.
Tail
Player

Words: 81228
Joined roleplay: January 9th, 2016, 12:49 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dexius on June 15th, 2016, 9:45 am

9th of Summer, 516 AV

Dex walked with uncertainty for the first time in his life as he approached the large stone face carved in the wall that he now found himself in front of. The leader of the small trade caravan he had hitched a ride with had mentioned that the only entrance to the city was through the Gaping Maw and pointed him in the direction of the large carving.

But as Dex closed the final few steps towards his destination he for a moment wondered if the man had been telling a ruse. He quickly inspected the large statue of a face and while it was very well detailed, almost disturbingly in fact, it seemed just like a carving in the wall. He thought of turning back to see if he was being played for a fool but in that moment he was interrupted by a voice he was not expecting in the least.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

Frantic, Dex looked all around him for the source of the voice but he saw no new individuals around, he was completely alone save for the stone face. His hand came to rest on the hilt of his blade as he accidentally made eye contact with the strange stone carving. Wait, was it making eye contact with him? Surely he must be losing his mind if this what he was actually seeing. The stone face continued to keep it eyes locked on Dex as he shuffled around for a few moments.

"I suppose the world is a much more interesting place than I first thought possible." Said the young Symenestra who was still more than a little flustered.

"Well.." Dex paused as he thought about his response. "I suppose i'm here to rid myself of the expectations of the world and my people so that I may find my own way forward. I simply want to live the way I wish, that is all I need, and my journey starts with your city."

A few moments passed before Dex heard the rough sounds of rock grinding upon rock as the mouth of the great statue widened.

"Here goes nothing I suppose." Dex said to himself as he strode through the great maw of stone and into the city proper.
"Strength is born of those with a burdened soul"
"Weakness is born of those with a perfect smile"
This is Thought
This is Common
This is Symenos
Dexius
Embracing the fear, chasing the fight

Words: 115381
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 2:21 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alipheese Nightshade on June 20th, 2016, 12:53 am

Alipheese Nightshade

75th day of Summer, 516 A.V.

As Alipheese shuffled down the gangway from the ship she'd been on for the better part of a season and a half, she looked to the city she'd heard so much about on his way here, Alvadas, the city of illusions.

From what she'd heard, the city was constantly changing, and it had sparked her curiosity, but that curiosity was quite reserved, as she'd been raised within a city which hated magic in all it's forms, though as she'd never seen it used, Alipheese was curious as to what the hate was about.

As she made her way towards the main gate of the city, Alipheese noticed something... a giant carved statue, which had a face, and was surprisingly detailed, almost to the point that it looked as though it was a part of the wall, as she made her way towards it, to get a better look, a voice called out.

"You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?"

The voice itself surprised Alipheese, so much so, that she jumped back a little, before she gathered her wits about her and replied "I have come to Alvadas..." Thinking for a brief moment as to how he would word the remainder of her reply, Alipheese then continued speaking "... in order to better understand illusions, and try to get over my... distrust, if it can be called that, of them."

The young human looked around briefly for the source of the voice, but was left without an answer to the location of the speaker, and merely spoke quietly to herself "It looks as though this may be more interesting than I first thought, I wonder what else awaits within..." As she spoke, the sound of grinding stone captured her attention as the mouth of the statue opened, calming herself and resolving to at least not get completely befuddled by Alvadas, Alipheese made her way into the City of Illusions.
Alipheese Nightshade
The Duelist's Apprentice

Words: 12252
Joined roleplay: June 13th, 2016, 11:52 pm
Character sheet

Postby Arn Jak on July 2nd, 2016, 6:35 am

516AV, Evening of the 12th day of Summer.
he had spent the passed few nights at full flight just to get to this point, bypassing his normal lazy temperament and putting effort into where he slumbered during the day just to ensure he would make it. he even fought off the temptations of things that rumbled below him for a chance to see what was behind this new playground. he had heard only rumors, spoken from the mouths of those too loud with his range of hearing. this home of allusions pulled him in like a child to candy, he just wanted to sink his teeth into it.
the fluttering of his wings would draw him in closer, eyes focusing through the night air until a slight shift would force him to stop. "You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?" navy eyes could only stare for a long moment at the talking stone before him. clicking away within his brain that it was the way in, and the question was more of a password. his lips settled into a smirk as he began to lower, taking only moments until bare feet hit the ground. nude frame would crouch, untying the backpack the clung to his right leg, scythe clacking against the ground beside him. it always seemed to have gotten in his way. tugging at the clasp of the bag he tips it over, shaking it around until the contents spilled onto the ground below. clothes he failed to wear, personal products he failed to use. the desired piece was the cloak, hands grasping at it to tug it away from the extra items. rummaging through the items on the ground to stuff them back into his bag. "To play."
could a stone statue judge him? would it sneer at him? would this become another place in which he couldn't approach? his wings tugged into his frame, hugging tight against him. his arm shifting as he straightened up pull the full length cloak over him, hiding the bare skin of his form and wing along with. the grind of stone as the statue's mouth open would be greeted by his drifting frame. the click of scythe staff settling within cloak and out of sight. the final flap of his hood falling into place, for the moment a hidden travel with only the slightest intentions of stirring up trouble..
"speech"
Threads?! 2/4 Slots open!
Arn Jak
Zith Prodding

Words: 8536
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2016, 2:29 am
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 3rd, 2016, 3:13 pm

30 Summer 516

Clyde let out a sigh as he walked along the road into Alvadas, approaching the city of illusions.

His boat had arrived just that day, and now he headed into the city with Rye by his side and Cha in his hand, along with other various items in his pack and things.

As he headed in to the city, he noticed one odd distinction of the landscape, a stone face cut into the mountain.

Clyde wondered why it had been put there, or what it might mean. He was wondering, this, when he was surprised to find the face speaking to him.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

It was then Clyde noticed that the things mouth was the entrance, or tunnel, which led further into the city.

Pondering for a moment, Clyde stared back at the face, before answering.

“I come to shop, and buy things, and hopefully leave with my coinpurse a bit lighter, and a new slew of things to show for it. And as always, I hope to learn, though in this case it isn't my primary purpose in coming. But I am always open to learning.”

The face didn't say anything else, but after a moment the mouth opened, admitting Clyde into the city.

He couldn't help but imagine he was being swallowed, and that the city was in fact just the giant stomach of some beast, as he walked within.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

PreviousNext