PM to join Going Home

Seren finishes the journey she began so long ago

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Going Home

Postby Seren Coolwater on August 26th, 2015, 6:23 am

86 Summer 515 AV

Seren arrived to consciousness like swimming up from a deep well. She began registering the sounds around her; the birds brave enough to weather the cold were chirping a good morning to the mountains ahead, the trees were swaying slightly in a breeze, causing a sound much like a rushing stream.

Opening her eyes, Seren begins taking in the sites around her. Above lay the tent fabric, waving slightly in the same breeze that drove the trees. To her side lay the ground, on which she had practiced drawing glyphs last night in the dirt, the strange symbols still giving off some kind of strange power. She allowed the fabric of her blanket to slide off of her legs, and pulled on her clothes.

Still somewhat asleep, Seren stepped out of the tent, her gnosis preventing her from shivering from the early morning mountain air. The remains of her cooking fire still lay in her makeshift fire pit, but she had cleaned up the leftovers and scraps of dinner with Voiding, the first ever task she had actual used it for.

Concentrating on finding that strange twist of logic that she was still unfamiliar with, Seren formed a circle with both her hands and said, "Daeqat!" Finally, an empty circle formed in front of her outstretched hands. She concentrated on widening it, causing it to grow to about the size of the palm of her left hand before losing concentration. The portal fizzled out, ending with a strange "pop."

With a small feeling of slight satisfaction at having formed another portal, Seren began packing up her tent, planning to eat from her rations on the way, since she was so close to the city borders at this point.
Seren Coolwater
Player

Words: 12997
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2015, 12:07 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Going Home

Postby Seren Coolwater on August 27th, 2015, 11:58 pm

After a few hours of walking, she decided to take a break. Seren was fortunate enough to find a small pile of snow under the shadow of an overhang nearby. "Looks like I'm having a hot meal!"

She scooped a handful of the snow, placed it in a cup, and, tapping her gnosis, boiled it quickly. Then she threw some dried meat into it. She was hoping it would make some kind of broth, although she knew nothing about cooking. That was something she was hoping to pick up once she got to Wind Reach.

After a while, the meat seemed to have mostly disintegrated. Seren picked it up and sniffed it. She drained it quickly, making a face as she did so; it didn't turn out quite as well as she had hoped. There were still a few chunks of meat remaining at the bottom of the cup when she finished, so she picked them out and ate them. They were a lot better than her "soup."

Finally, she took some dried fruit out of her bag for desert. The sun was close to setting. "I'd better get to the city gates as soon as possible. Guess I'll eat this while I walk." She grabbed the rope with which she lead her horse, and continued walking along the path to Wind Reach.
Seren Coolwater
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Going Home

Postby Shadyn on September 1st, 2015, 3:50 pm

"There can't be anything better than this!" Shadyn yelled. The crisp wind in his face as Xarrt winged over the city gates of Wind Reach was combatted by the warmth of the autumn evening sun in the clear sky. He laughed as he watched the ground below scroll past like a solemn procession, thrilled with his sense of freedom.

Seems like we have a newcomer. Shadyn glanced down to where Xarrt indicated with his head. "Well now! That is indeed a rare sight! Come on...take me down to them. Let's have a look-see, shall we?"

The dive down from thousands of feet up accelerated them to nearly two hundred miles and hour. Shadyn could not help but give a fierce yell with the excitement. Just a above the treetops, Xarrt leaned back and spread his winds, slowing them down sharply until he touched down gently in front of the travelor. Shadyn grabbed the pommel of his flight saddle and swung himself over Xarrt's shoulder, landing in front of him.

The travelor was actually an attractive young Vantha woman leading a pack horse of some sort. She was visibly shaken by the sudden appearance of the formiddable eagle, as well as its cloaked rider. He threw back the hood of his katinu, and used his left hand to pull off his right sontav. Walking forward, he extended his hand and smiled, greeting her in Common.

"Hello travelor, and welcome to Wind Reach. My name's Shadyn Xarrt, and its a pleasure to meet you."
Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Words: 124526
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2015, 8:34 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Going Home

Postby Seren Coolwater on September 2nd, 2015, 2:20 pm

Seren had been walking for what seemed forever. She had finished her meal about an hour ago, the sun getting ever lower. The endless perpetuity of the path in front of her was interrupted only by the occasional fall when tripping over a root or the like.

Finally, she came upon the mountains. The city gate was not too far ahead-- maybe another minute or two of walking. Seren almost broke into a run, but decided to conserve her energy. She wasn't quite sure what was waiting on the other side of the gates.

A shadow passed over her. A bird? It seemed much too large for that. Seren looked up, and saw a great shape descending nearby. With a yell that mimicked the sound she heard coming from the shape, she hit the ground with her hand on her sword, hoping the beast would ignore her.

It seemed to work? She got up from the ground, only to see the beast, which she now recognized as an eagle, land next to her. Seren was about to run for the city gates, hopefully getting in before being mauled, but there was a person riding it. He got off and greeted her in Common.

Seren thought in Vani, Eugh, my Common is unbelievably rusty. Oh well. She gripped his hand and shook it, saying, "Hello. My name is Seren Coolwater. I am from Avanthal. I am trying to get to Wind Reach. My Common is bad, sorry." She inwardly shuddered a bit at her broken sentences, but it couldn't be helped.
Seren Coolwater
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Going Home

Postby Shadyn on September 2nd, 2015, 6:10 pm

Shadyn laughed as he thrust his hand back into his sontav. "Well, Seren...I can tell you're from the Northlands. I have never met a Vantha before, but when I landed your eyes flashed at least four colors that I counted. Forgive me if I frightened you." He glanced at the sky. The sun was already well out of sight within the treeline. "It's dangerous to be outside the gates at this hour. Even Endals usually keep to the skies right now. I'm going to go ahead and get you inside."

He took a few steps into the clearing ahead and waved at the gates. They exchanged a few short, shouted phrases in Nari, then four people started coming down the path. “Those Deks will take care of your belongings. You, however, will ride back with me.”

Mounting Xarrt, he turned him around so that Seren could climb up onto the saddle behind him. When she hesitated, a voice echoed in her mind, speaking Vani, to her surprise. There is no reason to be afraid, daughter. My kind have been mounts for centuries. I would never cause you any harm, intentional or otherwise.

Shadyn noticed her surprise, and chuckled. "This is Xarrt, by the way. He knows a hundred times more than I do. Like all Wind Eagles, he speaks through telepathy, not audible words. You'll get used to it eventually if you stick around here long enough. Anyhow, let's get moving, shall we?" With that, he yanked her up behind him as Xarrt rose into the sky with a few massive wingbeats.
Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Words: 124526
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2015, 8:34 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Plotnotes