Closed A Wild Autumn Wind (Ferrin)

A chance encounter in the woods on a cool, Autumn day

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A Wild Autumn Wind (Ferrin)

Postby Joanna Familiaris on October 5th, 2015, 4:30 am

"I could use something to eat. Any place in particular that you would want to eat at, I can pay."

"Absolutely not! You are far too kind to me. I will pay for breakfast. It's the least I can do." It was not to say that she didn't enjoy being offered a free meal, but Ferrin had been so accommodating that Joanna felt like she was taking advantage of him. That would not do. She had to return the favor.

Still, there was the issue of where to get the food. Honestly, horse feed sounded fantastic, but Joanna wasn't sure that the young man would enjoying eating his breakfast out of a bag. She wanted something sweet and bread-y. Something to warm her up. Something... baked. Cinnamon rolls! Yes! Delicious, sugar glazed swirls of freshly baked dough! Truly, the crowning achievement of human civilization second only to the donut. She was going crazy just thinking about it. Her mind was set.

"There's a cafe just inside the walls of the city. They make good coffee and good food. I think you might enjoy it." It helped that it was away from the main road, so there wouldn't be many people there. That meant less noise and less commotion. She said, stepping ahead to take the lead.

"Oh, you asked of my crusade, right?" She chuckled. "It's... not really a crusade. I just look for places to help out, do a little charity while spreading the word of Priskil. I'm not a great public speaker so preaching is out of the option. So I visit shops, chapels, apothecaries, anywhere where assistance is needed. I think a better way to describe it would be 'Community Service'. " It sounded a lot less exciting like that, but it was a more accurate description. "Occasionally I find a cave or some ruins to explore, but most of the time I'm in the city doing volunteer work. Or out in the woods. Speaking of... do you hunt for yourself or the city? I image pelts are quite profitable this time of year."

Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Words: 76579
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2015, 5:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on October 5th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Ferrin

"Absolutely not! You are far too kind to me. I will pay for breakfast. It's the least I can do." The thought of food, constantly made Ferrins stomach grumble. He couldn't help thinking of food. And so he gregariously accepted the fact that he has been treating Joanna with too much kindness. And it is time at least, for Joanna to repay the acts of kindness so it seems. "Ok, you can then pay breakfast. I am alright with that."

Ferrin gave an assured smile, chuckling a bit after. Just a little more till they reach the Main Gates. "There's a cafe just inside the walls of the city. They make good coffee and good food. I think you might enjoy it." Joanna explained with a smile. Ferrin replied back with a warm smile and said "Oh good, I can not wait to have something to eat, I'm getting hungry myself."

Joanna looked back at Ferrin, explaining of her crusade. She chuckled. "It's... not really a crusade. I just look for places to help out, do a little charity while spreading the word of Priskil. I'm not a great public speaker so preaching is out of the option. So I visit shops, chapels, apothecaries, anywhere where assistance is needed. I think a better way to describe it would be 'Community Service'." The thought of helping others made him think of his mother.

His mother always volunteered to help certain services out. It was a very generous thing to do. Helping others who are in need of assistance. Ferrin smiled and chuckled a bit again understanding what Joanna is explaining of. "Oh I understand now, so you just help services or people who are in need of the assistance. And you basically travel. While spreading the word of Priskil."

Joanna asks of Ferrins hunting business while explaining of her small expeditions. "Occasionally I find a cave or some ruins to explore, but most of the time I'm in the city doing volunteer work. Or out in the woods. Speaking of... do you hunt for yourself or the city? I image pelts are quite profitable this time of year." Ferrin took a quick moment to gather his words of use. "I attempt to hunt out in the woods for the city, but lately not too many animals come out during this part of the region. Oh and pelts, If I seem to stumble upon an animal I will most likely try to sell it." "Maybe you and I should go exploring some day? I haven't journeyed the wilds yet.?"

The main gates are visible now. And it seems like it could take only a couple of minutes to reach them. Soon they will reach the Fortress City of Peace.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Joanna Familiaris on October 8th, 2015, 12:35 am

Joanna chuckled at the young man as he spoke of joining her crusade. It was not an altogether terrible idea, having another person to accompany her on her travels, but she felt hesitant to respond. Her adventure was always planned in advance, laying out a path that would lead her through villages and farms before eventually reaching one of the major cities. It was a complicated process, but it gave her time to get the lay of the land. And having another person would be.... complicated. Still, having someone who could hunt would mean less spent on rations, and their combined power would be enough to fend off anything the wilderness could throw at them.

"I'd have to think on it. It's not an easy journey. You'd have to endure long days and restless nights. To be honest, I wouldn't feel right letting another person endure that." She hated to dash his hopes, but there was always the possibility that he could tag along, if he proved capable enough.

Before long, the two of them managed to reach the gates of the city where the stone walls stretched up high into the air. The ancient textures were fading, but their presence was not. Syliras was considered one of the safest places in Mizahar on account of its Knights, and never was that more communicated than with the walls of the city itself. Like a wide shield outstretched towards the wilds, the great gate of Syliras was the first line of defense. Thankfully, the two of them were not there for nefarious reasons, and would have no problem getting through. A short chat with the guards granted them access to the main thoroughfare where most of the City's traffic was. Joanna felt a bit nervous being around so many people, but she did not want to betray any weakness.

It took a few minutes, but the two eventually made it to the small hole-in-the wall cafe near the main entrance. It was well lit by the mid-day sun and the smell of coffee grounds was detectable from a good 10 yards away. Inside was a collection of old tables surrounded by weathering chairs that had seen the rear ends of hundreds, if not thousands of people. The smell was evocative of an old lumber yard with a thick overlay of ground coffee beans and baked sweets. It was pleasant.

"Ah... peace at last" She slumped into one of the seats, setting her shield down against one of the legs of the table. "Sit, sit. Take a load off. I come here nearly every morning to recharge my stamina with a nice cup of coffee and some food. So feel free to get whatever you like. I can cover for it. She leaned back with a content sigh, feeling good to be off her feet. She could definitely use a trip to the spa.

"Tell me about yourself, Ferrin. It's not every day I get to run into a stranger in the woods. Quite literally" she chuckled softly. "Do you have family here in the city? Or are you a lone wolf trying to make his way?"
Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on October 8th, 2015, 3:19 am

Ferrin

Finally a warm place to be in. The café felt very welcoming. He placed his longbow against and behind his chair. And it doesn't seem to bother him. The quiver is wrapped on the top of the back of the chair. And the food smelt wonderful.

"Sit, sit. Take a load off. I come here nearly every morning to recharge my stamina with a nice cup of coffee and some food. So feel free to get whatever you like. I can cover for it." Ferrin smiled and wondered for a quick tick to what he should order.
"Do you have a preference, haven't been to this café before, do not know what is good or not good as of yet."

Joannas eyes sparkled as if they were pure gemstones that were just recently polished. It seems that Joanna also has an interest about Ferrin.
"Tell me about yourself, Ferrin. It's not every day I get to run into a stranger in the woods. Quite literally" she chuckled softly. "Do you have family here in the city? Or are you a lone wolf trying to make his way?"

"Well to be honest with you, I have traveled a bit far away from home till come here. I lived in Kenash." "You could say that I am a lone wolf. I don't really know what I want to do yet. Like as a occupation, currently though I am hunting, but I would feel more better if I can do something else for a little change and all. So all my family is back at home in Kenash or Riverfall. My sister lives there currently." He smiled at Joanna. With a warm heart filled smile. And then he chuckled a bit, "Well actually, I would like a coffee."

Ferrin yawned a bit, tired from waking up so early. The Heralds Arms fit m seems to be a place where no sleep can be offered."So what about you, what do you normally like to do?"

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Joanna Familiaris on October 10th, 2015, 6:40 pm

Joanna listened as the young man explained his situation. "Well to be honest with you, I have traveled a bit far away from home till come here. I lived in Kenash. You could say that I am a lone wolf. I don't really know what I want to do yet. Like as a occupation, currently though I am hunting, but I would feel more better if I can do something else for a little change and all. So all my family is back at home in Kenash or Riverfall. My sister lives there currently."

It must be difficult to live a life like that on your own. The Cobalt Mountains were not know for their safety. All manner of creatures lurked in the dense woods waiting for an unsuspecting traveler or careless wanderer to nab for lunch. She couldn't imagine that it was pleasant. At least he had some aptitude for hunting. Joanna had only had a fundamentally basic understanding of it all. She could live in the woods fairly well by herself, but it was difficult to catch animals and set up traps. Which is why she usually bought rations for her trips instead of relying on trying to catch food.

"Coffee sounds great. I think I'll have some too." She waved down one of the waiters and relayed their order. 2 Coffees and 2 big cinnamon buns. Not a grand feast, but something to put in their bellies. In weather like this, anything warm was bound to lift their spirits.

"So what about you, what do you normally like to do?"

Pray. Eat. Sleep. Joanna wasn't a very interesting person. She liked to train alot, but sparring was something she was too timid to take part in. Mainly because she didn't want to hurt anyone. Her muscles weren't just for show. And for all her strength, she measured it with a healthy amount of care and kindness. The last thing she wanted to to was bring harm to an innocent.

"Nothing exciting. I spend alot of time in the church, or helping out around the city. Either that or I'm training in the woods. I thought I might visit a place like the spa sometime, just to take a break. But, aside from that, I'm afraid not much. What about you?"
Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on October 10th, 2015, 11:09 pm

Ferrin
Date Here

When Ferrin explained where he had come from, be felt like he wanted to break down into tears. It's not that he missed home or anything. He fled from his loving family and home.

Ferrin never wanted to endure such responsibility from his parents. After they decided to be the 'council' for the past few seasons. Certain parts of Kenash didn't appreciate the decisions that they had made for the people.

Especially when it was being out in the wild lands. Cyphrus is known to have Ziths and other menacing creatures. And they can easily catch a human if they are alonr, but when Ferrin came to Syliras he came along with a caravan group. Do far on the journey they made it safe to Syliras.

Ferrin wondered what his parents are going to say about his unexpected disappearance. And dealing with the thought that Ferrin didn't leave a note stating that he will be back or that he is sorry.

Joannas voice, when she was ordering food, it brought him back to the reality side of his life and not his deep thoughts. "Coffee sounds great. I think I'll have some too." She also ordered two big cinnamon buns. His mouth watered with the thought of something sweet.

He rubbed his lips with a napkin on the table and placed it on his lap showing that he has some sort of manners. His mother did successfully raise him proper at least. The waitress quickly scurried off to place the order. Ferrin studied Joanna for a quick tick.

Her golden colored hair gleams from the sunlight through the window. Her armor, not rusted it made her look tough on the outside. But in the inside she seemed to be one of the most kindhearted beings that Ferrin has ever met.

"Nothing exciting. I spend alot of time in the church, or helping out around the city. Either that or I'm training in the woods. I thought I might visit a place like the spa sometime, just to take a break. But, aside from that, I'm afraid not much. What about you?"Ferrin stopped his gazing. Hoping that he wasn't making Joanna feel uncomfortable. "It is not certainly very boring. In fact it is more interesting then what I do."

Then the thought of a spa kicked in his mind. He thought that some people had been talking about the springs in the wilderness. They seem like a place were the two of them could enjoy each others company. Warm water, beautiful horizon. And maybe a good view of the mountains.

"Well so far, just hunting and training is what I've been doing. I haven't found out what I enjoy yet. Still looking."

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Joanna Familiaris on October 14th, 2015, 8:59 pm

It wasn't long before their order arrived, the rich smells of coffee beans now covering the table. JOanna couldn't help but smile. Coffee had always been an important part of her diet. It was great to have on cold mornings, or on sluggish days. It gave her a good boost of awareness and charisma. Even a bit of confidence. Too much of it, though, and she'd start to feel sick and delirious. Something to do with caffeine, she thought. There had never been a good time to measure her tolerance for it, but it seemed to baround 2 cups.

Joanna took a bite from her roll and sighed blissfully. There was nothing that could rival the taste of sugary pastries. She didn't care for bountiful feasts or professionally cooked meats. She just wanted something good, filling, and tasty. Even if it wasn't all that healthy. Sugar was her favorite, by far. And cooked vegetable, too. But rarely ever the two together.

She was surprised to see the young man placing a napkin on his lap. It was a very polite, if unnecessary, gesture that Joanna did not expect to see from him. He certainly was full of surprises. If she didn't know any better, she would of imagined him being raised by parents of high class. But what kind of hunter has wealthy parents? Or was it more of a rebellious act to disregard his life of luxury? Maybe he was just a boy with very good manners, and Joanna was looking far too into it.

"Well so far, just hunting and training is what I've been doing. I haven't found out what I enjoy yet. Still looking." He replied.

It was always difficult to find a calling, especially in times like these. There were plenty of things to do, yes, but that just made it harder. Healers, warriors, herbalists, merchants, tinkerers, explorers, hunters, all of them sat on a huge spectrum of occupations that were so varied and exciting that it was hard to pick just one. Even for Joanna, it wasn't an easy choice. Her years before her devotion were... dark. And it wasn't a matter of finding a calling so much as it was trying to atone for her sins. She never murdered anyone, of course, but it sure felt like she did. There was nothing she could do to ever forget it.

She shuddered and shook her head, trying to clear it of the memory. Not here. Not now. She didn't want to think about it right now.

"Well, Mizahar is a big place, I'm sure you'll find something to suit you. If you think you might like joining the Knights, I'm more than willing to help train you. Of course, I'd have to warn you in advance, I'm not a soft teacher. You'll have to prove your dedication and your will to learn." A flash of light passed across her eyes, giving her words and ominous tone. "You might take me for a soft-hearted woman in a hard, steel shell, but believe me... She smirked, her head lowered just enough for her hair to cast shadows down her face. " ... I won't go easy on you."

And just like that, she returned to her normal self, taking a long sip of coffee. She shrugged. "That is, if you take me up on my offer"

Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on October 15th, 2015, 2:49 am

Ferrin

As the waitress simply dropped off the order that Joanna has purchased for Ferrin and herself. She hastily walked back doing her responsibilities. After the waitress left, both Ferrin and Joanna began to eat their sweet and savory meal. The warm roll reminded Ferrin of his mothers cooking. Homemade cinnamon roll, 'delicious,' Ferrin thought.

Finishing his first bite, Ferrin took a small swig of the hot coffee. This is way better than freezing your rear end off in the cold. After a few drinks and bites, Joanna explained to Ferrin how she can improve his training to become a Knight. "Well, Mizahar is a big place, I'm sure you'll find something to suit you. If you think you might like joining the Knights, I'm more than willing to help train you. Of course, I'd have to warn you in advance, I'm not a soft teacher. You'll have to prove your dedication and your will to learn."

"Consider me warned, I'll try to go easy on you, unlike the armor I have agility and strength. So I can be more mobile in a fight, I understand that armor can protect you in battles, but I do not enjoy being slow. I'm decent with a short broadsword, I would like to learn how to specialize with duelwielding. Or maybe even learn how to fend off with a shield and sword?"

Ferrin took another swig of his hot coffee, the warm thought of the drink made him think of home again. Maybe in favor of Joannas teaching, Ferrin can teach her how to use a bow and hunt? Or help Joanna to spread the word of Priskil.

"You might take me for a soft-hearted woman in a hard, steel shell, but believe me..." She seemed to have chuckled at the explanation, making Ferrin feel like he can be no match for Joanna and her talent. Ferrin chuckled in reply, " ... I won't go easy on you."

"So it seems, maybe in return I can teach you how to hunt/use a longbow, or maybe assist you with spreading the word of Priskil? If it is interesting enough?" After Ferrin finished his exclamation, Joanna added in with a chuckle, "That is, if you take me up on my offer?" Ferrin smiled, as if this was fun in his mind.

[b]"I'm prepared for whatever you throw at me Joanna! The question is, are you prepared for someone of my skills?" Ferrin took another bite and finished off his coffee.

Weakness should never be prevailed, honor strength and intelligence, for they are your allies in battle situations.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Joanna Familiaris on October 18th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Ferrin was certainly something. She knew he wouldn't back down from her challenge, and that only made it all the more interesting. She had only ever trained a handful of pupils, with only a few committing to the entire curriculum. She was fair, but fierce, using the same methods through which she was taught growing up. Her own teacher was a mean old lady who, to this day, could plant Joanna's face into the ground with ease. Didn't matter what armor you were wearing or what weapon you had, if she closed the distance you'd be on the ground.

"Consider me warned, I'll try to go easy on you, unlike the armor I have agility and strength. So I can be more mobile in a fight, I understand that armor can protect you in battles, but I do not enjoy being slow. I'm decent with a short broadsword, I would like to learn how to specialize with duelwielding. Or maybe even learn how to fend off with a shield and sword?"

Duel wield? Seemed too risky. She had never tried to handle two weapons at once, but she couldn't be sure it was all that useful. She much preferred a shield in place of a second weapon. It offered greater protection and gave the wielder the ability to knock enemies back with a shield bash. And his comment on armor had some ground in truth. Joanna was not the most nimble, or the most agile, but her strength, armor and endurance granted her greater sustain in battle. Even if she couldn't land hits, she had the endurance to keep attacking till one of them got tired.

Joanna took a long drink of her coffee and sighed blissfully. Mornings like these were nice. After taking another bite of her cinnamon roll, she continued. "I can teach you shield and mace etiquette. I can't say I know alot about swords, but there are some techniques with any one-handed weapon that I can teach you. The most important aspect of sword and board fighting is parrying, so as long as you can get that down you'll be good"

Joanna was actually excited at the idea of having a pupil again. It made her feel... important. She was a bit of a narcissist in that regard, but it was for Ferrin's benefit in the end. "I train in the mornings, at the crack of dawn. If you think you can keep up, how about I meet you here tomorrow? We still have some time left in today if you'd like to do something else in the city, though"
Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on October 19th, 2015, 1:18 am

Ferrin

Every bite of the cinnamon roll ended with sensational flavors. The seasoning, sweet and warm like a hot sunny day. Ferrin does not mind having Joanna training him, it can't possibly be worse than his father's training, can it? But why should Ferrin feel so hesitant about it. Ah it doesn't matter. From the expression on Joannas face, she seems to be excited about teaching Ferrin.

"I can teach you shield and mace etiquette. I can't say I know alot about swords, but there are some techniques with any one-handed weapon that I can teach you. The most important aspect of sword and board fighting is parrying, so as long as you can get that down you'll be good." Board fighting, parrying? Well the parrying techniques seem to be memorable, but Ferrin does not recall the Board technique.

"I think I can handle the aspects." Ferrin took a drink of his hot coffee. Although it seems to be nearly finished and he just took the last bite of his cinnamon roll. Joanna explained to him that she teaches very early in the morning. "I train in the mornings, at the crack of dawn. If you think you can keep up, how about I meet you here tomorrow? We still have some time left in today if you'd like to do something else in the city, though."

The mornings aren't hard for Ferrin, since he hunts a few chimes before the sun wakes. "I'm pretty sure, that I can keep up with the time schedule. Oh um, maybe if your up to it, we can possibly visit the Stone Gardens? I haven't seen it before and have been told that the place is something." Ferrin expressed a smile to Joanna.

Ferrin feels a rush of excitement coursing through his veins, and it feels as if his life has just been planned ahead of him. Although not really it mostly seems coincidental. The young hunter, eager to get his training started. Maybe following in his father's footsteps isn't a bad idea?

Learning to use new weapons is certainly a fun thing to get into. Ferrin gulps his last sip of hot coffee. And then he wiped his face with his napkin, then placed the napkin on his empty plate. "Do you mind if I tip the waiter?" Ferrin asked with a side smile.

Who thought, maybe Joanna and Ferrin can end up being long time friends? Assuming that things go well. Ferrin can't wait to began his training, it also gives Ferrin a sense of nervousness because what if he doesn't turn out to be good enough for joining the knighthood? And excitement because of the fact he has someone to assist him get to this type of position.

Meeting people like Joanna, could be an uncommon encounter. But also, end up in a well preserved manner. With both sides agreeing to one another.

Days line these are ones to be kept memorable.

"Pavi" | "Common"
"Tukant"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes