Solo [The Docks] Silver Threads cut easily

Near-Night fishing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

[The Docks] Silver Threads cut easily

Postby Gybe on July 1st, 2015, 12:06 pm

Timestamp Summer 30th 515AV

Gybe took his nets from their shelf and rest them upon his shoulder. The faint smell of fish scales lingered upon the net and as he moved it the smell came out all the more. He loved the smell of fish though as it reminded him as to why he was here. His face was quite melancholy compared to normal as he dug around for his filet knife and some shells. Sticking them in his pouch he was ready to go and headed out. It was beginning to get light and not long from now the monks would start letting people to go outside from their domiciles. As per the norm, every morning's light he spent out at sea, merely borrowing an arranged craft and coming back in the later morning with a varied assortment of caught fish. Could he have caught more? Sure. He just kept populations of fish in check however. It was his duty.

As he made his way down to the shoreline he witnessed various bouts in the streets between monks of various orders as they bordered on their districts, but he had purpose. Making it down to the docks he threw his net into the Haversham's boat as per usual, then came the occasionally familiar greeting from a couple of the six guards who were there at the docks. "Going out again?", he smiled and took in a deep breath. Standing back up he looked over to the monks.

"You know it." He offered a hand to them in friendship and they took it. Gybe while not a fighter, was a real man, and they admired that. He didn't whine about his position and he just manned up and did his job. As he greeted him they could perceive that on his face was a hint of sadness, yet it faintly disappeared as their arms met."See any good fights fellas?" Gybe had a way about him, one of charisma, and while he may not have been charismatic in some regards, he had a well liked personality. He seemed to take interest in the monks and had a similar outlook on life; go all out. These knew Gybe though, as much as really anyone ever knew him.

Long ago in striking up friendship they asked to fight and spar with him as many have, and being a good sport he did so and got his head cracked for it. There may even still be a scar on the top of his head where the gash was. He was definitely considered a non-combatant by them, but someone who was highly informative in whatever aspect they needed. Gybe knew a lot of what was going on in the city and was sort of like an ancient form of newsletter for the guards. It was as though Gybe was the guy to go to for any know how on how to do things or where people likely would be. He could have started his own business that helped people find things in the city, but it just wasn't him. He was at home on the sea.

The Monks chatted at him about how they saw three good brawls today and one that involved someone who would likely kick the crud out of all of them together. It was a change of pace between the novices just going at things and sparring, but when you could see a master at work the ground shook and you feared for the citizens safety.
Other's Words -- My Words -- My Thoughts
Last edited by Gybe on July 9th, 2015, 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gybe
Player

Words: 60786
Joined roleplay: June 30th, 2015, 8:31 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gybe on July 1st, 2015, 12:22 pm

Rubbing his chin, the ever patient Gybe listened as they went on about how each had different moves, one more powerful than the last. He honestly wasn't that interested in such things, but for their sake listened. Afterwards he shook his head in disbelief and stepped into the boat. These guys were good fighters here on the docks and so when they said they saw a really impressive fight, he believed them.

"Oh jeeze. I almost forgot. Give this to your lady friend", he pulled out a few seashells of amazing brilliancy and color. "From what she was saying earlier she wanted a set of earrings. Those my friend can be crafted into some really nice colored earrings. Just give them a little polish and take 'em to a gem cutter. He will work his magic on those. You'll see. It'll be a good gift." The monk thanked him and gave him a way and push off with his foot once he untied the boat, then the two monks would go back to their watching over the docks. Rowing hard, Gybe made it quite a ways into the bay and the lights of the city were far off in the distance twinkling as the sun rose, yet still swimming distance away.

He couldn't believe he was still here. When could he maneuver things? He had been looking for ways in for years and never really found it. In the past year though he turned the tides and began to aid the monks in various things and even was recognized enough to become a citizen. He was a highly intelligent man, so it was hard for him to have not succeeded by now.

"Ughh...", he flopped out the net over the rowboat's stern in the shape of a ring, hoping to gain a catch. He waited for the nets to close and then pulled them in. There was a small amount of fish inside, and letting the young and very old large fish go he pulled the rest of the haul in. His net had to find it's mark. Even without his mark, it was almost as if there was a sixth sense about where the fish were. Now that the catch of the day was done he strung up the fish, put them in the water, and lay across the bench. He used the netting almost as a cushion while he dangled his foot into the water. He detected what was around him in the water, seeing if there were any Otani nearby. He constantly would find from them how many fish were in the area to see how much over fishing the town was doing. So far due to their superstitious nature they had not betrayed the God of the sea. Even him with his net, he would only catch a small amount of fish before heading back. As the sun rose higher and higher, he picked up his oars and he would head closer to shore.
Gybe
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gybe on July 9th, 2015, 3:54 am

When the man had finished his fishing for the Haversham family early that morning. He was not an employee by any means, but they shared a mutual arrangement with him. He provided them fish that were hard to catch and on occasion he would ask a favor of them. This favor of course wasn't anything ever bad, just like "I do for you, you do for me" sort of thing. He found it beneficial as the man was one who didn't have a son or daughters, just his old wife Matil and her family. Though Matil didn't like Gybe very much, she loved how he helped out Ciril.

Gybe never really did anything to deserve Matil's dislike, she just didn't like a man who wouldn't settle down and get married. He was always there though, like a leech, sucking the blood from Ciril. He would wait till the man was puffed with joviality and admiration from his catches of fish and then would ask him to help him with something. Gybe was always very vague though with what he wanted and that's what she didn't like. When he saw the porthole loose in the western district and how many unexplained events were happening in the city though it, that time he asked Ciril to butter him up. Eventually through his good words and Gybe's guile, he became a citizen. It was things like that, favors of vague reasons that she didn't like. With the guards however he wasn't so quiet about his goals. He didn't like to involve the monks in them until he had gained favor in their sights.

Now returning from the oceanic bay he pulled the fish out of the water and set them on the dock. Grabbing the wet net and climbing off the boat, he readied himself to head in to the monks. The fish that rest on the dock flopped slowly, having nearly breathed their last ounces of energy, yet were still vibrantly alive. They gasped for water and Gybe out of courtesy, bent down and scooped some water and threw it over their gills a few times. It was in form a 'last meal' as you would give a prisoner. While he cared for them, they were food, a bountiful harvest from Laviku for their breakfast.

Now hauling his gear, he wandered down the dock to the monks and gave them a nod. The sun was up a bit higher now and he could see their features more clearly. He held up his catch for the monks of Laat to see and record. He had caught more than his quota and so the rest was going to the Red Herring Square. The monks gathered round and he pointed to the monk's seashell that he had given him. "I had to walk the bottom for that one. You should have seen it down there. An eel almost bit my leg and I nearly ripped my pants on some coral. Didn't find any fish, but right there in the middle of a sandy pit it sat, all by its lonesome. Wouldn't you know it I think a crab found a bigger better shell, but it's nice lookin' right?" The monks nodded in agreement as the vivid swirls that adorned it were quite beautiful. They liked it it seemed and generally liked Gybe when coming back more as well. He was always less aggrivated and grumpy. He seemed in a better mood now and with thier business concluded and chatting done they parted as per normal ritual greeting and he said farewell.
Gybe
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gybe on July 9th, 2015, 3:59 am

He was trying to gain a foothold here in the city, but with the constant fighting and the superiority complexes it was hard. Sure if he had something of power in his grasp he could win over the fist that ruled this land, but he was far from having that. He needed something that really stuck out, something that would hurt. There were the leaders of this city, but he didn't want to incur their wrath just yet. So here he stood on the edge of Herring Square with his arms folded, looking on as people lined up to get their fish from the stalls. He could hear Ciril's voice from here distinguishing itself from others and he could see he was quite busy. The square, Red Herring square, was a place he liked. It was full of ladies, fun, and a bit of joviality. It honestly reminded him of back home.

He leaned there against the reddish stone and watched the passerbys. What most people didn't notice is how quickly their purses were snatched from them. The youth in particular were bad in this area for stealing. He didn't even bring his money with him when he came to the square for fear of them cutting it loose. As he sat there he observed the going-on's, trying to spot a pick pocket. One such teenager was looking mighty suspicious to him. He considered him, studying his features. His micro-expressions seemed to indicate deep thought, preparedness, but Gybe couldn't tell much more than that. Yet why was a young man prepared in thought here? It just stood out. Evaluating him, his eyes watched his body movements as he looked around suspicious like. Much like Gybe, he was in a position of optimal sight lines. He was picking out a target. Gybe saw the boys eyes light up and he knew then the man had a target. Could he see the transaction? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It really depended on the skill of the one involved and how many people were about. He looked around the boy to determine if anyone was watching him. He was considering approaching him eventually and didn't want to get caught in the middle of gang of some sort. Seeing the coast was clear he watched the young man continue to sight in.

The boy hopped off the stone pillars edge where he was sitting and waiting. He moved through the sea of people and did a great job trying to blend in, showing a big grin across his face. He seemed almost pleased as if he was having a fun time in the crowd and was one of them. The disguise was effective and Gybe almost lost sight of him a few times, but when the boy looped through the crowd and returned to where he was, he knew he had missed the swipe. Slowly Gybe kicked off the wall and strolled over nearer to where the young man was. He took up residence there on the wall near him. Noticing Gybe, the young man flashed a glance to him with a smile that only Gybe could read as being full of it. There was no truth behind it and only was meant to throw him off and think he was a nice guy. Gybe was unmoved however and reached up to scratch his beard with his fingers. He turned his head askew and said, "Hey." His tone was slightly hushed and he nodded the kid over to him. A slight look of flighty worry came over the kid's face as he slowly moved off the pillar and closer to Gybe. If it wasn't for the secret manner he inquired to the boy he may have bolted. Coming closer Gybe continued in a hushed tone indicating his secretive manner, "One of these days I might want to hire you for something, put you on a job...if you'll consider it. I might need a man like you from time to time." calling the boy a man was a low shot, but he was trying to boost his ego. His tactic seemed to somewhat work. He could tell that the boy liked it from the look on his face, and the prospect of being hired on was another bit of interest for him. Gybe continue, "If I come to you and paint a target for you, could we work something out?"
Gybe
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gybe on July 9th, 2015, 4:11 am

The boy was hesitant and definitely on guard here. It seemed like Gybe was proposing for him to pull a job for him at his beck and call and he didn't like that. Firing back in a tone that would not fit an innocent young man like he posed, he said, "You pay me and I -might- do something for you. My ass, my decision." Gybe thought that was fair. He wouldn't want to put the boy nor the situation in jeopardy. Gybe returned back to him, "Fine...you make an amendment I make one. I won't put you in jeopardy and you make mention of me and you'll never do business in this town again." The kid laughed a little and looked Gybe dead in the eye. Sarcastically he said to him "I don't even know who you are mister". Gybe laughed back and said "That-a-boy". Having concluded their business Gybe proceeded to leave him and the boy returned to his spot, occasionally glancing back at the thick bearded man. He could have played dumb and Gybe wouldn't have known any better, but Gybe played it right. He knew the look of a thief as many people in his culture on the seas were liars and thieves. With a quiet shuffle and hands in his pockets he headed for the tables that lined the interior.

Gybe made his way to the tables, scanning for one that was opened and seemingly not going to be occupied, yet full of lively conversation. This was a time when people could get together and gossip, have fun, and get to know each other. Coming up to a table with two fine looking ladies, an old man, and a couple he gestured to the seat to ask if it was taken. The women shook their head no, the old man who was seemingly already drunk expressed with mouth agape and bread falling from it, "No sit sit." The young couple nodded and seemed to be more interested in each other and than anyone else at the table. Gybe flashed a smile to everyone and said "G'morning to ya." He stroked his beard, and turned the chair around backwards to sit. He leaned forward along its wooden back and said to the girls and old man, "Did you all eat already?" It seemed they had plates aplenty here and wine glasses too. The young girls were playfully shy at first and the old man loud when he said, "Ate my fill I did. Might eat some more later, why not? *hiccup*....oh....I saw a such a sunrise this morning! Oh!" Gybe rolled his eyes with a chuckle. The man was off his rocker and enticed him to continue. "What was so special about it?" The man proceeded to tell him how the sunrise this morning was so wonderful because his neighbor, the lonely Miss Angleneti was out in nightgown taking down the laundry that she forgot last night, and when the sun came up over the horizon it had shewn all her features. The girls at the table laughed and gigged amongst each other and Gybe snickered, remembering it in detail. "Sounds eventful" he nodded sarcastically. He used the conversation to roll over to the young women. "Such fine ladies as yourself, you wouldn't be caught dead outside in your nightgown would you?" They giggled a bit and then one of them with a sultry look said, "I might."

Gybe wriggled his eyebrows a bit at the thought and then laughed playfully as it was all likely said in jest. Blood and burning boiled over in his heart at their joviality. Inside he was a torrent of rage and wrath every time he spoke to them, yet now he subdued that and said inquisitively. "Okay...so say you had your choice of any man in the city, any one of them, who tickles your fancy?" Seeming to be surprised she furrowed her brow in thought and considered. The girl who sat next to her whispered something in her ear which made the woman blush. She then nodded a couple times in thought. As she did the old man decided it was time to take an afternoon nap on the table. His balding hair already was scorched red from the heat of the sun from many other such naps it seemed. Too many more and he would end up with boils. He could swear but thought within seconds he could hear the old man snoring into the table.
Gybe
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gybe on July 9th, 2015, 4:22 am

When the girls finally stopped their giggling he listened intently. She spoke of a man who had black hair like his, who had no beard, no mustache, he was a monk of the Western District. She would see him out her window every day standing guard at the nearby bridge. He wore the typical brown robes but he was the type to be more courteous than foolhardy. That was all the information she gave him so he poked and prodded, saying, "Well tell me more of this fancy of yours. What makes him stand out from the other monks?" She thought for a moment and said that it had to do with his blue eyes, his big ears, and the fact he had a scar on his neck. Gybe thought that was enough information to find this guy and he looked to the other girl. "What about you? Any secret love interests in your life?" she shook her head and said there were too many. He chuckled.

He then tried to diffuse the situation using some tact, making them think he didn't really care all too much about their lovers, just that he was a typical person enjoying the conversations of the morning festival. "Well as for me...I am without a woman, but!" he exclaimed, "I do have an interest." The girls seemed interested in pursuing this topic and asked what she was like. He was of course lying as he didn't have a woman, so he tried to keep it simple. "Nah...I can't describe her." He looked down. "She is amazing though." He nodded solemnly to himself. The girls smacked his arm and taunted him with their waving hands to get him to give up the information, saying that they told him theirs and he should tell them his. So he smiled and lifted his head and essentially gave them a description of his daughter. Every lie starts with a grain of truth, so he said "Well...she's brave. Seems like the whole world is out for her at times. She's got long hair, dark like mine, she rises to watch the sunrise every morning and watches the ocean waves roll on by." he fiddled with his shirt a bit and the girls were mistaking his fidgeting for true love and not for the sorrow it really was. The girls ooh'ed and aww'ed at his love and he laughed it off like it was silly. To distract from the conversation he slid his hand over to the old man he rapped on the table next to his head to wake him. He got up slowly and Gybe said, "You can't sleep any more! There's more fish and more wine to be had. Let me get you some." The old man seemed excited about that and Gybe headed to get some bread, fish, and some wine for him. As he returned the old man was singing oration to the young ladies who were laughing. He plopped the plate next to the man and the wine. "Here you go friend." The old man reached over and took Gybe's hand and blessed him for his kindness, but mainly for the wine. "No problem. I'll maybe see you all tomorrow." He gave them a wave and headed off into the distance.
Gybe
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Balderdash on October 27th, 2015, 10:51 pm

Delicious rewards! Happy days and jubilation!

You! :
Skill XP Awarded
Observation 3
Seduction 1
Fishing 2
Persuasion 5
Interrogation 1
Negotiation 1
Storytelling 2
Observation 3

Lores: To Be A Svefra Is To Be A Sea Shepherd, The Dock Guards Like Friendly Fights, (incomplete) Eastern Monk Offensive Techniques, Nykans Respect Laviku Well, Ciril Haversham: Source of Favors To Be Given And Got, Matil Haversham: Suspicious Thorn, Fish: Laviku’s Gift of Food, Fishing Is A Mood Improver, The Telltale Signs of a Pickpocket, The Dawn Is Fine To View Ladies In Nightgowns By, Profile of a Western Monk, An Eastern Lady Loves A Western Monk, The Sight of Nykan Joy Is Enraging

Items and Consequences: A strange sense of community that will cling to Gybe like grime for the rest of the day, and potentially longer.

N'aww... That was rather sweet!

If you have any questions or concerns about this grade, please PM me. A happy you is a happy Balderdash!

Balderdash
Not Entirely Rubbish

Words: 201561
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)