Closed [Job Thread] Lessons In The Dark (Karin)

Candle-lit drawing lessons for all.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Job Thread] Lessons In The Dark (Karin)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on October 5th, 2015, 10:55 pm

31st of Fall, 515 AV

Aislyn had always loved the night. She could never quite pinpoint why it was so much preferred to the daytime, but in theory it was due to a number of reasons. First of all, one of the only pluses to half-Zith blood was the ability to see somewhat better in the dark. Albeit murky, but at least she could make out most objects from a good range away. That still didn't make up for the fact that the woman's eyes were an unnerving black-red colour.
With every blessing a curse, perhaps.
Another reason was, again, to do with her sight. From Aislyn's experience, most people were practically blind in the dark, seeing nothing but the blackness and nothing beyond. That meant that she was invisible, or close enough, if she chose to wander out at night. It was peaceful, as well, due to the lack of citizens meandering around the city.
Not to mention the fact that Ionu's most beautiful illusions came from the dark. Or, glowed in the dark. They were stunning.

That was why Aislyn had been such a fan of the past few days (or rather, nights) in Alvadas.

The woman had woken up at the supposedly normal time, yet no light danced through the lazily drawn windows. Leth regained control outside, swaying stars and a stoic moon staying worryingly high. At first, Aislyn was convinced she had just woken up in the middle of the night.... except it appeared everyone else had, too. Outside, the streets were just as busy as midday, complete with sluggish people who almost appeared still asleep. Like the world had remained in motion, but the sky stayed still. Frozen in time. Or, perhaps, frozen in an illusion.

Aislyn absolutely adored it. It was an amazing opportunity to do so much and more; including bringing back Thief, the illusion Aislyn used most often with the night anyway. Inky black, shoulder-length hair, hazel brown eyes, and a personality the woman wouldn’t mind tarnishing. It made good fun to run around in the dark, a shadow dressed in black, like she were a child again. Except now, no sunrise to end the adventure. A few of Alvadas’ citizens had capitalized on the endless night, selling candles and other sources of light in the darkness. Aislyn had bought a couple of the candles, using them to enhance her already well-off vision in the dark. Alone, she couldn’t make out the colours of the night, but coupled with the candle, the full beauty was revealed. Still tinted in blues and greys, of course, but also coupled with yellows and oranges from distant candles, greens from plants fast asleep, reds from flashes of colourful clothing, hidden in the dark.
Aislyn had make it her mission to draw them all. Throughout her adventures, her backpack was strapped tight to her back, sketchbook just barely tucked inside. She sat down every so often, if an image caught her eye, but never for long. Thief was a human doing, a human moving. Never just a human moving.

Unfortunately, other beings didn’t share the same idea.

Candle in one hand, sacred book in the other, Aislyn had been moving along the side of the street, a shadow with a bright light close to it’s chest. A shadow that, unfortunately, wasn’t looking where it was going.
A shadow that was rudely interrupted by another shadow, who knocked the shadow to the ground when they collided.
Immediately, pages went everywhere. Old artwork, new artwork, detached from Aislyn’s journal due to the nature of how it was made. All the journal entries, luckily, were still attached to the book, making them safe from harm. For one glorious moment, the air was filled with parchment, and, unfortunately, flames. The candle had flown from the woman’s grasp as well, briefly illuminating the sky before the sharp winds extinguished the light, leaving the two strangers in the dark.
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Words: 647829
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 9:23 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
2016 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2016 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Karin on October 9th, 2015, 10:51 am

The sudden forever sunlight had confused Karin as she'd woken up that morning. The sky didn't appear to change the entire day, and that was as unusual as Ionu's illusions got- changing the way the entire world worked? Bizarre.

However, it hadn't stopped the girl going to work as usual, and she'd spent the entire day painstakingly scratching at the spiralled head of a seahorse, trying to make it look natural. She'd finally got it looking alright, but Cadog had stopped her, let her have an early day.

So, she had wandered near the harbour for a little while, and she'd even gone for a little swim, although not for very long. But, when the girl re-entered the city... the endless light of Syna was no more. Instead, by quite literal divine intervention, the sky was carpeted, blanketed in darkness, with a sliver of light from Leth vaguely illuminating the walkway. Okaaay. How am I supposed to get home in this?

Although, despite the darkness, Karin wasn't too disturbed. It was slightly unnerving, sure, but it was strangely beautiful, in its way. She could hardly see anything, but the short distance she could see in front of her was beautiful, at least.

She'd just seen a glimmer of water reflecting the moonlight in the distance when her whole vision was taken with a shadow, someone Or something! Karin thought alarmedly, who appeared to have crashed into her. Or perhaps she crashed into it, or him or her or whatever. Either way, they were now surrounded by paper, in the complete darkness.

"I... I'm sorry?" Karin's voice was hesitant, but still friendly. She was soon kneeling on the floor trying to pick up the papers for the vague figure who was standing there. It wasn't until she looked at what was actually on the paper that she stopped, still clutching a handful of paper in her hands.

"You're an artist?" She smiled, a gesture which would be lost in the darkness. In fact, the darkness gave her a feeling of confidence which she wouldn't normally feel, or perhaps it was the feeling of unknowing that intrigued her, but suddenly she blurted out with a half-laugh, "Would you teach me? How to draw... I'm.. Karin."

She handed the figure the papers that had flown from their grasp, and even though she had no idea who they were, or even if they were safe to be around on this dark evening, she decided that in this setting, she liked them. For they were in the dark, just like her.

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on November 3rd, 2015, 9:59 pm

Aislyn was the first to get up, her feet having landed underneath her in the fall. That gave her a precious few ticks to jump over and catch the few escaping drawings that had caught the wind. There hadn't been as many escapees as she'd first believed, but the majority of them had landed near the stranger, which left them in jeopardy.
Luckily, the shadow that the woman had collided with didn’t seem particularly aggressive. Aislyn let out a breathy apology as she scrambled to preserve her journal, before freezing, her hand outstretched, as she reached for a page already in the grasp of the stranger. In the darkness, it was hard to make out many things, but the body language of interest was hard to miss.
The stranger- a woman, it seemed from her voice- seemed to be looking at one of Aislyn’s more recent drawings. She couldn’t exactly make out which drawing it was, but the lineless features of the page gave away the fact that it was recent. In her almost panicked state, Aislyn barely processed what the stranger was saying, until one sentence caught her attention.

”Would you teach me how to draw? I’m Karin.”

Contemplating whether or not snatching the page and running was still an option, the question hung in the air for several ticks. Several ticks that became almost half a chime of awkward silence as Aislyn desperately glazed over her options. The woman seemed kind enough; if she had alternative motives, she obviously didn’t wear them on her sleeve.
As an indecisive way of avoiding having to answer, Aislyn accepted the drawings the woman- Karin- gave back to her.
This couldn’t lead to anything too bad, could it?

”I… Suppose I could try.
Introductions, introductions. Oh gods, she needed a name. She wasn’t Maya anymore, and Thief wasn’t exactly a name someone trustworthy would have. She didn’t trust Nise after what had happened with Reysin, but what else was there? She’d kept a list for a while, of possible names, but a name fit for Thief…

”I’ll… I mean, Ill..isha. My name is Illisha. Nice to meet you, I suppose.
With a name, it was easier to adopt an identity. Thief’s identity, of course. But that was besides the point.

Cautiously folding the pages of her work back into her sketchbook, Aislyn drew out a couple of blank pages. She’d never done this before. Teaching seemed like a… personal thing. It required a connection, of sorts.
Connecting, of course, was not Aislyn’s specialty.

”So… Well, I’m a more of paper-charcoal artist, so if you were looking to learn how to paint, I can’t help you all that much. I’m just learning myself.” Aislyn forced a laugh, though it trailed off into the emptiness as she drew attention to the pages in front of her, her awkwardness most likely lost in the darkness. She slid one to Karin, hoping it was visible enough to naked eyes, ”Here, you could start with this.”

Aislyn truthfully couldn’t remember how she’d learned to draw. All children, as far as she knew, could take a charcoal stick, scribble on a leaf and call it a masterpiece. It was just a question of whether or not they continued scribbling on through life. She’d been self-taught, then, probably. With the help of knowing how to read, she must have found something, or someone, to teach her. Her memories of childhood were rather hazy compared to the rest of her memories- having a relatively good memory in general.
But she didn’t recall being taught, and thus, how to teach.

As she reached around the darkness for her lost candle, Aislyn tried to keep the conversation going a way that would mean the least amount of talking on Aislyn's side.

”Ah, so… What do you want to learn to draw? We could start there.”
Last edited by Aislyn Leavold on December 4th, 2015, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on November 10th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Illisha. The voice was that of a woman, presumably. She didn't sound too sure of her own name, but perhaps she'd been thinking about something else.

Karin knew that sometimes she forgot what she was saying, part way through sentences, so who was she to blame? The darkness coated everything, from pillar to walkway, to faces and features. She could vaguely see the gestures of the woman ahead, but they meant almost nothing to her.

With a start, she realised that Illisha had pushed something over to her. It was a sheet of paper, or parchment. Who knew? Presumably Illisha, but... "Oh! What would I like to draw? Um..." It wasn't until now that Karin had stopped to think about the goal of her encounter with this stranger.

"Really, I'm not sure. As it's so dark, it might be hard to draw, but um... Let's see..." Karin crossed her arms, then her legs as she thought. "Aah... I'm not sure where we are, but if it's too difficult. We could go to the port? Draw the boats?" But as soon as she'd thought it, she crossed it out mentally.

"No. Maybe just something simple. A tree, or a house maybe?" For as much as the girl loved the ocean, and the port, there was something so comforting and beguiling about the darkness that she didn't want to leave it.

And although ordinarily, she would never dream of saying her thoughts as unadulterated as this, she blurted out, "There's something so beguiling about the darkness, don't you think? Although I'm not sure what I want to draw, I know I want to.. stay here. In the dark, or perhaps with a little bit of light."

She laughed a little, friendly but a little strange considering the circumstances. "What do you say, Ill..isha? I can pay, if you want. I'm sure I've got a few mizas bashing around somewhere."

A sudden thought flashed into her head, with the qualities of lightening. "We could draw the dark itself..." She let her voice trail off as she waited for an answer, with bated, hushed, waiting breath.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on November 26th, 2015, 11:40 pm

Finally wrapping her hand around the candle, Aislyn slipped her notebook safely away into her knapsack before she faced the challenge of actually lighting it. Karin was right, they couldn’t do anything in pitch blackness. Slipping her bag off her shoulders, the artist began to rummage through it, eventually reaching her flint and steel, which annoyingly happened to be in the very bottom. Separating herself from everything flammable aside from the candle itself, Aislyn took several strikes at the candle, more than once capturing a spark that ultimately fizzled out disappointingly. After just over a chime, however, she got it. With a soft pssh, the candle was lit, and the duo once again had light. From there, she lit a second source of light before placing it on the opposite side of the two. Then, they had a workable place to do what they needed.

”There is definitely something… wonderful about the darkness. It definitely goes underappreciated, I mean.” It was strange to think that some people were afraid of the darkness. Understandable, yes, but still strange. There wasn’t nothing about the darkness to be afraid of. It was what was in the darkness that one had to be careful about. ”Drawing the dark itself might be a bit hard, though.” Looking up to the face of disappointment, Aislyn rectified her statement, ”I mean, that would just be a very dark piece of paper, wouldn’t it? Maybe, though…”

Aislyn thought, trying to figure out how someone could draw the darkness. Shadows, of course, weren’t all that hard, since they were essentially just silhouettes, but that wasn’t darkness. It was just drawing something, then colouring it in completely.
What about the opposite?

Colouring everything except for the image. Working in negatives.

”You know, maybe a tree isn’t all that bad of an idea.”

Laying out her own piece of paper, Aislyn began to sketch an outline. First a trunk, then some simple leaves. But instead of colouring inwards, she darked the outside of the image. So instead of being defined by colour, the tree was created by the lack thereof. A reverse image, turned inside out. More interesting than just drawing a tree, but still a tree nonetheless. Whether or not Karin chose the same approach was up to her, but Aislyn made sure to keep an eye on her companion’s drawing as well.

”I’m not a very good teacher, truly. I can tell you what you can improve…” She pointed to a certain section of the woman’s drawing, pointing out how the charcoal was smudging, ”For example, charcoal smudges very easily, so you have to be careful to lift your hand up above the page. It hurts your hand when you start out, but you get used to it, I promise.” She returned to her own paper, ”...But other than that, you have to figure things out by yourself.”

Shrugging, Aislyn began to feel the strain on her eyes in the dark.

”That’s how I learned, at least. I never had anyone to teach me.” Teach art, that was.

”You know, maybe we could move about, go down to the ocean after this. After all, you don’t learn how to draw by drawing the same thing over and over again.” The artist lowered her eyes, thinking back to the many, many days she’d spent cooped up in her home, obsessively sketching out the same face, or animal, or illusion, over and over again until she was satisfied with it. ”I know, I’ve tried.”

A few chimes later, she looked over at Karin’s work again. She wasn’t doing half bad, considering Aislyn was in no way helping. The woman handed her another piece of charcoal, this time a bit thinner, for finer details. In her own drawing, she’d made it to the point at which she had a fairly accurate silhouette in the shape of a blobby tree. Next was the breaks between the leaves, where light would shine through if there had been any light to shine. Details, details.

”What brings you out this late, anyways?”

What I'd imagine Aislyn's drawing looks like.
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on November 30th, 2015, 4:44 pm

With a gentle flustering of light, a space for working was created by the woman called Illisha opposite. Eyes were blinded for a short moment, until Karin grew accustomed to the light, and realised that the woman had been speaking. At the seeming dismissal of her proposal, Karin's eyes dropped, sure that she was now looking like a fool.

But as Illisha continued speaking, she seemed to latch onto an idea, grabbing a piece of paper, and stick of charcoal and starting to draw something. For a while, the girl looked over at the other woman's drawing, trying to figure out what she was doing, the way she was holding the paper, and the stick...

It wasn't until Illisha started looking up at a scrap of paper in front of Karin, that she realised she probably expected her to draw something too. Of course she does. You're the one who asked for an art lesson, idiot.

With extreme hesitation, Karin thought of her original concept, that of drawing the dark. Despite her newfound confidence, the girl suddenly started to doubt, even though this Illisha seemed to have latched onto the idea.

She wasn't so sure. But with the first brush of charcoal to paper, she started to form an idea. Nebulous and questing, the charcoal wandered over the paper, seeming to search for purpose. Karin lifted up her hand at the mention of smudging and techniques, and almost two chimes afterwards her hand started to ache, just as Illisha mentioned.

The image on the paper was nowhere near as detailed or interesting as the one on Illisha's page, but it was starting to take shape as Karin looked over at the other woman's style, and the way she brushed over the page.

Despite her protestations that she wouldn't be a good teacher, Karin found that simply following her actions was good enough for her. There was a certain way that the charcoal brushed over the page, which was entirely different to Karin's style. Her charcoal was smudged in long, non-ending marks. But Illisha seemed to be making smaller strokes, which gave a much nicer effect.

Karin tried it, hesitantly. She didn't want to blatantly copy her, but then after all, she was the teacher. She looked over at Karin's drawing, and didn't seem to mind it, and then asked a question to which Karin had to think.

Why am I out this late? She blinked in confusion a few times, and looked down at her drawing, which roughly resembled the surroundings, hazy looking buildings comprised of jagged, harsh lines of charcoal, completely unblended. She finally remembered why she was so confused. In the changing day/night duality, she hadn't realised how long she'd been out, wandering the streets of Mizahar.

"The only reason I'm out is because I lost track of time... I've been.. wandering." She nodded, slightly. "Yes, wandering around after work." She shrugged, and said, "Sorry, I forgot for a second. What about you, why are you out at this time?"

As she replied to the woman, she stopped with a start, realising that she hadn't replied to her earlier, she'd been that concentrated. "Oh! We should. Yes, we should."

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on December 2nd, 2015, 3:24 am

Ah. That was a detail she’d overlooked. There was no ‘late’ anymore. Everything was late, no matter what. There was no escaping the darkness, no matter how much time was spent sleeping, outside, inside, wherever. This was why she avoided conversation. She wasn’t all that good at it. Anxious thoughts along the lines of she’s obviously uncomfortable, and why did I agree to do this? began to prickle at the back of the artist’s mind. Regardless, she continued her drawing, avoiding eye contact by concentrating on her work. Eventually, she just began scratching at the same branch, over and over again, darkening the same lines until they were rather uncomfortably pronounced from the rest of the page.

”I suppose I like the nighttime more. The darkness kind of lays a veil over everything, giving it a new… Light? That’s not the right word.” The woman trailed off, blowing the tiny, loose shards of charcoal off of her parchment before rolling it up in a neat tube shape. She preferred to roll her drawings versus folding them, just to avoid lines. All of her drawings were usually kept pressed in her notebook, anyways. She’d been meaning to get a new notebook, really; the old one was stuffed with stray sketches, as her accident with Karin had proven when they had been tossed in the air.

Glancing at the second woman’s progress as she slipped the drawing into her bag, Aislyn pointed to the page, careful to keep her finger from actually making contact.

”You can add more dimension by showing the street from a side angle, instead of… head on. It makes it look more realistic.” One never really saw things from a perfectly straight angle. There was almost always some sort of perspective, a tilt, or something. It was hard to explain. This was why she didn’t do art lessons.
”It takes a lot of practice. Start off drawing a bit lighter, maybe. Sketch something before you solidify it, if that makes sense.”

When Karin seemed done with her drawing, or as done as she planned to be, Aislyn picked up one of the candles and took a look around. She had requested the ocean, but the only issue was the fact that the artist had no idea where the ocean would be. Or how they were getting there anytime soon, considering Alvadas.

Leaving the second candle to Karin, Aislyn left the air open to conversation, but didn’t actively force it. After a bit, an idea came to her.

”It may be no surprise, but I’m an artist as a living. You mentioned work…” She’d also mentioned wandering. ”Do you work at the port?” Or the ocean? It would explain the woman’s apparent affinity to the sea. Though, if she had just left the port, it would be strange to ask to return right to it.

In the mostly-silence, Aislyn took a moment to look around her, at the quiet street in the calming darkness. There had been busier places, she knew, but overall it seemed the night time had dulled the regular upbeat rhythm of the city. It was peaceful, and, just as Karin had described it, enchanting. If they were luckily, the oceanside would be just as empty, leaving Aislyn to (attempt to) teach Karin in solidarity.

That was, if they could find the ocean.

Pausing just as they were about to turn off the street, Aislyn tried to find a better way.
”Do you have any idea where the ocean might be?”
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on December 3rd, 2015, 5:04 pm

The woman suggested a few more things to her as they progressed, something about sketching lighter as a framework and adding dimension by using different angles. Karin tried it out on the more fresh side of the paper, tracing lightly with the thinner charcoal the plan of the street.

What she had in mind didn't really come across. The lines she drew were more fluffy than she wanted, and a little darker than she really wanted too, but the angle seemed better. Experimentally, she sketched the street receding into the distance, getting smaller the further away it got, disappearing into smudgy darkness.

She found that it worked quite well, and she nodded with satisfaction. Illisha seemed to notice, and picked up one of the candles. Karin picked up her piece of paper reverently, and picked up the other candle too, accidentally letting wax dripping onto the pavement as she tried to balance holding the paper and the candle at the same time.

She was settled, and they started walking, with a pleasant silence that for once Karin didn't find awkward. She smiled as Illisha mentioned she was an artist, and nodded. "Yes, I work at Wooden Wonders Workshop, down at the port side. It's quite nice, something I enjoy. Not quite as similar as being an artist, but I suppose similar in a way..."

She drifted off, as she was following the other woman a few steps behind, which didn't encourage conversation. However, when she stopped at the street corner, Karin caught up and stood next to her elbow. She seemed lost, and then asked about the location of the ocean, something which Karin could answer, with relative ease.

"Somehow, I think the streets have shifted a little! I suppose I'll... just follow my nose." The scents of the ocean were faint, but to Karin's well-learned nose, they were easy to recognise. They couldn't be far at all, in fact.

Determinedly, she set off, letting Illisha follow behind. However, after a few chimes, Karin had to admit that perhaps the smell she'd smelt wasn't the sea at all, but a fish stall instead. Standing facing the Bizzare, the girl scowled a little.

"Sorry." She was a little short, and feeling a little stupid for losing the way, especially as she'd been so sure she was right. "I guess it's Alvadas playing tricks again, I was sure it was this way." Instead of trying to find the sea by smelling it, she tried instead to just think about it, visualising it.

She set off walking again, the candle flickering slightly as the girl's pace picked up, not wanting to seem incompetent.

OOCWow, sorry for the long post there O.o

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on December 21st, 2015, 7:22 pm

OOCDelayed reply due to too much work catching up at one time, and a week with no free time! Sorry!

Aislyn took a few precious moments to admire the night as she walked. It was nice to not have to worry about her appearance all the time, given the cover of darkness to hide in. Of course, the interaction with Karin had reignited the buzzing what ifs in the back of her mind, but in the night the anxiety was easier to ignore.

The way the woman seemed to sense the ocean’s presence- be it by her nose or something else- gave Aislyn a strange feeling of déjà vu. The appearance of her new acquaintance, as well. Blonde hair, blue eyes. As the darkness around them became a little bit more lit, she was able to see the similarities. Somewhere, somewhere, she’d seen it before.
Distracted, Aislyn barely noticed as the wax of the candle began to drip down onto her hand, burning for a moment but then leaving nothing but a sticky feeling behind. Perhaps she should have invested in candle holders, as well.

Many chimes of walking later, Aislyn found the familiar feeling of being very, very lost to become evident. Not the normal took a wrong turn lost, either. Alvadas lost. Which meant it was more than likely that Ionu, the beloved deity, was sitting above them shuffling the streets like cards. Karin seemed to notice it too, remarking something about her nose before turning them in another direction.

Questioning words of whether or not the woman actually knew where she was going sat on the tip of Aislyn’s tongue, but she bit them back. There was an air of déjà vu in that as well. She just had to let things be, and eventually.
Eventually…

The illusionist’s legs had begun to ache with an all-too-ever-present feeling of exasperation by the time they gained any leeway in their search. It took… Well, she didn’t know how long it took, because the moon never budged from its place in the sky. Time never seemed to pass, no matter how long they stayed out in the city. But, there was some light at the end of the tunnel.
Or, more specifically, a beach at the end of the street. Leth’s light lit the way, the sight- and presumably, smell- of the ocean finally came to them. The sounds, as well, busy throughout the “night”. The Patchwork Port, long awaited and rarely seen. Aislyn didn’t visit often, considering how ordinary the seaside was.
Though, nothing in Alvadas was truly ordinary. Or perhaps everything was. Strange was ordinary, in all senses of the word. So if something was ordinary by an ordinary city’s standards, it was boring in Alvadas.

That was why Aislyn had never visited.
But Karin must have liked it, considering how excited she had been to suggest it, and besides, the ocean was rather nice. Easy to draw, and usually, easy to find.

”Thank Ionu, here it is.” Looking between the ocean and Karin, the woman tried to make some sort of plan.

”What do you want to draw here? The sea, the boats, the people?” There was no end to the possibilities.
"The trees? The houses?"
There was, however, and end to the list of what Aislyn could teach. Which meant she was hoping for an answer that did not involve many small details. Though in the end, it was all up to what Karin wanted.
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on December 23rd, 2015, 5:01 pm

With the Port firmly settled in her mind, and the lure of the ocean tugging her along, they set off again. This time, it wasn't long before the sights and sounds and smells of the Port filled their senses, and Karin stopped to breathe in a deep sigh of relief. It was nice to be here.

Apparently the time it had taken them wandering in Alvadas had brought about night-time in the unchanged, ordinary world of the port, something which made Karin smile. With the moonlight, low in the sky still, dappling softly on the water, and the beach stretching long and ghostly in front of them, there were endless opportunities for beauty.

At Illisha's question, the girl looked around, surveying their landscape. At a glance, it was hard to figure out which particular parts she wanted to draw, because she wanted all of it. This had always, and would always be her favourite part of the city. She started walking, out onto the beach, spotting a driftwood log that looked like it would comfortably sit the both of them.

Sand crunched beneath her shoes and she breathed the cool air. It really was a beautiful night...
"I think I've decided what I'd like. Well, if it's something you can teach me. I'd like to capture Leth's light shining on the surface of the Suvan... or at least know how to draw the ripples and the waves."

The girl didn't know if it was feasible, and she was more than open to different suggestions. She smiled, to let the other woman know that, trying to position herself in an accepting way. The soft hush of the waves against the beach was only a stones-throw away, and Karin idly picked up a rock and aimed for the ocean. It missed, by a small fraction.

"So... What do you say?" By now they had reached the log, and the girl sat down. She looked around, and thankfully the view they had was a good one, covering the stretch of beach in front of them, with a small cluster of fishing boats tied to a jetty to their right, the pleasant noise of wood clanking against wood just reaching their ears.

OOC :
It's totally fine! Don't worry about it :)

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Next