OOC Info Yes! I Do Want To RP Playing With Superpowers!

This is the sign up thread for acquisition of superpowers. This is limited to Riverfall's plot 'The Powers of Winter' for 515 AV. If you are interested, post within to opt in and play in the city's plot.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Behind the Waterfall (BtW) is Riverfalls Development and Contest Forum. Designed to support the IC forum in an OOC way, BtW contains The Suggestion Box, all Riverfall's design contests, the Perk Center, and a place for Rivarians - regardless of whether they are storytellers or not - to work on any kind of Riverfall Project they might need. BtW also contains all the discussion threads Rivarians need to support the RP in their city.

Yes! I Do Want To RP Playing With Superpowers!

Postby Gossamer on December 6th, 2015, 5:48 am

Tara - I cannot approve the faking of a Gnosis mark due to the nature of Gnosis marks. :)
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Eldrid on December 6th, 2015, 7:28 pm

Manifested Literature (Revised edition).

By reading writing on a parchment Eldrid can create a psionic manifestation of the writing. This manifestation is limited in size and cannot be larger than the page or book it is being read from, meaning if Eldrid reads about a person, the person will appear in miniature.

Some limitations:
Reading words incorrectly, i.e reading too fast, pronouncing incorrectly or stuttering will malform and possibly dispel the manifestation. What is read must be what is written to create the manifestation.
Words must be read aloud.

Duration:
Manifestations last for a chime (minute) after their creation regardless of the length of time spent reading them into existence. Malformed manifestations have about a quarter of that duration.

Psionic "Grammar":
Nouns are subjects and objects in grammar, and it is these which are actually manifested. Their size is as close to 1:1 as the size of the page/book allows. They retain properties of their real life counterparts, i.e. Fire burns, ice is cold, birds fly and water flows.

Abstract nouns do not have a physical form and thus, cannot be manifested unless a metaphor/simile is used in conjunction to give the abstract concept a form in this case they act simply as the concrete side of the metaphor but with some altered characteristics as fits the abstract noun, these are mostly aesthetic.

Adjectives describe nouns in writing and in Psionic "Grammar" they define a manifestation further. Without definition manifestations appear as ethereal grey constructs. Appearance adjectives will only alter the appearance of the manifestation if the adjective is specific. For example, reading "The pretty squirrel" will yield no affect different to simply reading "The Squirrel". However, "The squirrel's red fur coat echoed shades of autumn leaves and summer roses with a small white wintry cap on the tip of its tail." Can create an effective facsimile of a squirrel. Behavioural Adjectives can change the way a manifestation carries out a verb, but won't cause it to act on its own.

Verbs, doing words act as strings to control the manifestation. Manifestations carry out verb commands as they are written and to the detail of description. This can be tricky, for instance, "The squirrel runs" may simply cause the squirrel to sprint for the nearest tree. In these cases manifestations default to their intrinsic nature (as the reader sees it) which can be dangerous with aggressive manifestations which will gladly take a nip at the reader.
Verbs are never concrete and are subject to the manifestation, rocks cannot fly of their own accord, if the reader is aware of this, reading that a rock flies through the air unaided will not cause anything to happen. Similarly, reading that a squirrel killed your foe will hardly have any affect. If a creature requires greater size than the page allows to carry out the verb, it is acted out in miniature by the manifestation, but has no affect on the real world. For example,
"The giant gryphon alighted on the hapless Akalak assailant, crushing him" Will not cause a psionic gryphon to come crashing down on the suggested foe as a gryphon of sufficient size cannot be conjured unless one has unrealistically large parchment. Instead, a small Akalak will be manifested for your equally adorable gryphon to crush.

Generalisations:
Broad statements and identifiers can be dangerous to the reader and their allies as the manifestation will simply carry out the verb on the first matching subject. For example,
"The venomous snake sunk its fangs into the unsuspecting victim"
Would cause the manifested snake to bite the nearest "Unsuspecting victim" which would be the reader.

Reader's reality:
If a reader does not know the definition of a word, or the appearance of a noun, it will have no effect. Similarly, if the reader has the wrong idea about a word or noun, that wrong idea will define the manifestation.

Example:
If we look at a piece of real life poetry, (The Raven, by Edgar Allen Poe)
If Eldrid read the line, "And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor." All on its own, a small collection of smoldering embers would appear before the page and fall to the floor, leaving scorched marks where they fell and died. It translates literally because there is no extended context. However, the segment about ghosts is given context by the presence of embers which then helps to define the action.
Eldrid
Player

Words: 42824
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2015, 1:36 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on December 6th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Eldrid - Revision approved. :)
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wikus on December 7th, 2015, 5:55 pm

I would like to request the ability of Golden Healing for Wikus. This ability allows Wikus to use gold (be it coins, dust, or simple chunks) to coat wounds and restore vitality instantly by spreading gold upon the damaged area. This type of healing, although exotic and very effective, has some major drawbacks for both Wikus or any other individual that would use said power in excess.

How it works

Upon holding an unaltered golden object, Wikus could choose to 'melt it' or rub it with his palms to create a sort of golden butter which can be applied to a wound to instantly coat it. The gold immediately replaces the damaged tissue and acts as flesh, bone, or even blood in the individuals that had recently suffered from blood loss if the gold used was enough to replace all the damaged tissue. The wounded area, although healed, simply appears as hidden by a golden layer, symbolizing the area the healing was applied. This golden indication remains on the individual for seven days until eventually it loses it's golden color and simply fades off until it becomes simple flesh - the gold used being completely irretrievable the moment it's melted in his hands.

This is a very effective method of healing that, upon being instantaneous, greatly overpowers traditional medicine or even some stages of Rak'keli's Healing, although those marked by the Gnosis can cure a far greater variety of afflictions. Golden Healing only works upon physical damage, being completely unable to cure poison, illnesses, or mental diseases. Although capable of coating a broken bone, Golden Healing does not align moved bones or replaces basic medicine knowledge that would urge to properly align the broken bone for example - it only acts as a substitute of tissue.

There is also a major drawback beside the economical cost of using this type of healing - the 'Overcoating' as I've decided to call it. If the Golden Butter used upon a damaged being is superior to 50% of the body's original tissue, the individual dies in a gruesome way. His bones, flesh, and blood begin turning to stone quickly, turning the wounded individual into a stone statue dressed the same way as before but forever frozen in place as only his eyes are different from the dark grey stone that was now his body - two eyes made of a golden stone that symbolizes the individual's foolishness to think gold could buy him health, and now condemned to forever see gold as much as his being only saw greed.

As I've mentioned, Gold coating wounds remains visible for three days, thus making it mandatory to avoid risks and depending on said form of healing for one risks of turning into a statue, which is the same as dying. Until the Golden tissue loses his shine and turns into standard flesh, it still counts as a percentage of body tissue.

Advantages

*Quick and efficient healing that can be performed at any time, even in combat, thus making it a truly fearsome skill. The ability to replace tissue allows the healed individuals to continue into the fray far longer.

*Can replace blood, thus eliminating the possibility of passing out in combat or falling into a coma.

*Can cure organs. Poked your eye while inspecting your sword's tip? Quickly use gold to get your eyesight back. Your lung was torn in two due to smoking your pipe too much? Some gold could fix you up.

*Golden wounds. This is self-explanatory. Imagine Wikus swinging his whip in a rainy battlefield while he shines like a golden god. Truly majestic. It also may give the appearance that the golden coated wounds are actual gold, even if it's consistency is the same as the replaced tissue.

*Gold is the only requirement! I don't consider Golden Healing to be a Djed infused ability, so one does not need to be a mage to properly use it (even if knowing magic would aid him in the understanding of overgiving, or 'overcoating' in this case.)

*Great for the rich. For those whom had forged a life of wealth, this type of healing could be beneficial to some degree. Who said money can't buy health?

*Could be used as a weapon in special circumstances. Turning people into statues is a cool idea to cause death upon someone, but it requires plenty of gold and the gold being in contact with Wikus' hands, thus making it extremely expensive and inefficient since, well.. a dagger could be way faster and cheap.

Disadvantages

*Works with gold only. If you're poor, then there is no healing to be done. It also requires Wikus to carry gold whenever he goes if he wishes to use this skill at any given moment. The gold must be pure, therefore discarding any objects made partially with gold from being used.

*Extremely expensive. The gold, once 'melted into butter', can either be applied to tissue or discarded, completely neglecting any kind of refund once the skill is used. The fact that the coating applied to tissue turns into flesh in seven days does not provide any kind of comfort for those with great wounds as hiring a herbalist or even a follower of Rak'keli would be far cheaper. Take into account that Golden Mizas is not something common for the majority of the population, thus making it a truly big investment. Furthermore, healing the same spot repeatedly requires even further quantities of gold, quickly escalating the cost out of control.

*Blurry regarding quantities. One can never know how much damage is present upon the victim, or the internal damage that needs fixing. This makes it extremely easy to either use too much or insufficient amounts of gold, risking death by both situations. The golden coating itself is not limited by absorption - you can coat a healthy man as much as you'd like, and the gold would still be absorbed, therefore making it truly risky to even use the skill without a clear idea of the damage present.

*Doesn't work as good as proper medicine or healing, specially against infections, diseases, mental damage, poisons, or broken bones. Poison can destroy the body from within as much as diseases, broken bones can further the damage if they are not aligned with it's broken counterpart, and mental damage can kill an individual even if it's body is healthy. A patient in come would not wake up just because his body was in perfect condition, and a leper would only add a few days to his torment before his affliction once again took the upper hand.

*Repair, not create. While it can cure a punctured lung or a half hacked off arm, it will never EVER replace one. If one loses his arm, the coating will not magically give you a golden one, but instead it will close the wound and forever damn the victim to be an amputee. Thus, nobody will ever be able to 'lend an arm' without consequence. The rule is: if it's there, it can be saved. If it's not, it can be wailed. If the brain is damaged and repair, that does not mean the victim would be good as new - the brain is healed, but the mental damage persists. This skill does not heal the spirit, only the body.

*Grave limitations upon self-healing. While Golden Healing is very effective and very useful, using it upon himself would be very problematic for Wikus. If a wound is too deep or grave, he's likely to go into shock or cause him to pass out, therefore making it impossible for him to apply the healing upon himself. This skill shouldn't be his 'bail out of jail' card, and by any means I'm trying to make him immortal.

*Not Rak'keli. Rak'keli and her followers exist only to heal and create the individuals without any major drawbacks. Golden healing not only costs a lot, but also works on the 'equal exchange' laws. Give something to gain something. Golden Healing cannot bring you back to life, cannot cure your diseases, cannot fix your paraplegia. It only uses gold to replace your damaged tissue, not to bring you actual health.

*Turns people into statues. Dira would not be angered by those whom seek to avoid her kingdom, as this skill itself sends them to her doorstep. No matter how rich you are or how much gold you've hoarded, if Death calls you shall answer - not an exception with Golden Healing. If an individual's body is healed with gold, and the gold of the living being surpasses 50%, that individual is not alive - that individual is gold. For attempting to cheat Death, those individuals suffer unimaginable pain as everything in their body turns into stone, and in roughly a chime they are forever frozen in position by becoming golden-eyed statues. The golden eyes are only golden in color though - they are stone still with a different color. No profit can be made by the greedy deceased.

The Philosophy and Wikus

I've expressed many times how much I hate the idea of magic, specially those I'd classify as 'divine' that heals you out of nowhere because reasons. Healing shouldn't be something done with no cost - saving somebody from death wouldn't just cost a wave of a wand in my opinion. I've crafted this idea of healing a long time ago, considering how the Church and Religion work in our very own world. 'Wealth is not important, greed is sin, miracles exist for those whom are worth.'

The idea of using money to heal one's wound is not an attempt for me to justify that greed is the way to go, but instead to subtly push the idea that everything requires sacrifice. Gold could always buy you a meal, a roof, or objects you'd proudly show off in order to show the dedication shown to crafting a wealthy lifestyle. But what if instead that meal, roof, or whatever you've spend your gold on could serve to save a son, a friend, or a stranger? Sacrificing one's happiness and commodity to aid a person in need will be always a far stronger achievement than owning a hundred roofs - at least I believe so. This is the thought that originally spawned this idea a few years back.

In Mizahar it would translate in a similar way if Wikus got a hold of this power. Don't be fooled by the sentimentalism I've written - he's not a martyr nor he'll ever be. But the power itself fits him so well... While he is currently somewhat wealthy in a way thanks to the initial gold acquired after the Character Creation, he is also a Blight Marked individual. Gold has never had a meaning for him in the first place, being more a man of achievements than of possessions, and wasting gold all around was never a problem for him. A simple lifestyle is all he needs, reason why he's reluctant of finding a profession in which to focus, because after all, he's unable to settle anywhere for too long.

The Blight Mark plays a huge role in his being, as expected of something as tremendous as a Gnosis mark is. It is almost sure that after this Winter he'd be forced to take his leave and whatever experience in a profession would be wasted while his own wealth decreases day by day. But that doesn't mean the rest of the world follows his example.

What better example of a healer than the one that owns nothing and gains nothing by saving somebody's life? What about the notion that, if 20 golden coins was all needed to heal a dying man, it was guaranteed that those 20 golden coins would go entirely to the healing instead of paying a healer to wave a wand around? I admit I'm almost aroused by the possibility of exploring the paths it might open for Wikus and his philosophy regarding human lives, specially if this skills brands him as a healer - a title I would have never expected for somebody to grant him.

The cost of using the skill itself is extraordinary enough to prevent any drastic healing with regularity. If a man's body weights 150lbs, that means 75lbs of flesh can be safely replaced with gold. 75lbs of gold is an amount few could ever spare, specially in an emergency while a man dies. The skill is useful, but limited by it's own device. Which is, of course, the best kind of skill in my opinion.

Let me know what you think!
Wikus
It burns when I pee!

Words: 377704
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2015, 9:48 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 8th, 2015, 6:26 pm

Wikus - I don't think this is remotely feasible as a skill. The reason being is that Gold Mizas aren't solid gold, they are indeed only Gold-Rimmed... which means they have very little gold to them. The quantities of gold you would need to say fill a single sword cut and heal it wouldn't be available to anyone at all, even jewelers don't keep those kinds of quantities on hand. Plus, coin isn't alterable. It's made by Xyna and formed by gnosis power so the gold in your Miza's wouldn't be available.

Having access to, for example, a few bars of gold, would be almost unheard of. Not to mention you'd piss off Rak'keli AND Semele (Rak'keli also not currently being a big fan of Vayt's) transmuting their substances or powers. So you'd have that to consider. I don't have anything against a player being able to transmute metal to a butter with their hands as a superpower and use it to heal. I'm just considering the fact that even looking at your CS and your gold amounts, you don't have enough on you being 'rich' as you call it to really do any sort of healing other than superficial with what you have in coin.

So I'm not sure how to proceed with this. It's also kinda a downer that you assume the Rak'keli healers pay no costs to heal. When in fact if you talk to any healer, I suspect they'd set you straight on the downers of their compulsions.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wikus on December 10th, 2015, 6:39 pm

I’ve decided to drop the idea stated above. I must admit I jumped to posting it without doing the proper research or matching it completely to what Wikus is and what forces he represents. I thought about replacing the gold with some other element or being, but again and again it collides with either a domain of a God or simple over-powering which is definitely not what I am going for.

On the other hand, I have a fresh idea that may also be original and well suited for Wikus.

I’d like to request the ability of Ink Control for Wikus. This ability basically grants Wikus’ body with a certain affinity with Ink, allowing him to manipulate the ink stored in his tattoos – meaning he can deplete them or fill them with ink. This would allow him to ‘drain’ his body of ink as a defense mechanism, as a disguise mechanism or a sabotage mechanism, while also serving as a method to allure people as much as becoming a constant worry throughout his days.

Advantages

*Able to completely deplete his skin of ink. Through his skin’s pores Wikus is able to leak out even the last drop of ink, effectively disguising him from those whom would look for a heavily tattooed male. This process is painless and does not require a high degree of concentration for it to be triggered. Alternatively, he could choose the ink to travel inwards towards his digestive system, yet once there he couldn’t have any control over it and would inevitably suffer from Ink Poisoning until the ink was naturally removed from his body. This alternative is effective to dispose of the ink with stealth, but has harsh effects on his health even if Blight marked.

*Defensive mechanism.
While the ink is harmless, it can be effective to temporarily blind an enemy while in close quarters, much like an octopus splashing its own ink into predators. Note that the ink cannot be used as poison or toxin, and he cannot ‘shoot’ the ink out of his body.

*Improvising potential. Being able to segregate or absorb ink would allow Wikus to sabotage books by either draining it's ink or smearing his own into the parchment. It could also serve as a fast hair dye that, if applied correctly, could change the color of his hair for a clumsy disguise. Finally, if he were to learn to write, he could use a finger as a pen!

*Flowing tattoos. With some practice Wikus could potentially ‘give life’ to his windmarks, which due to the exotic nature of the ability would cause some interest in the audience, a good way to somewhat compensate his lack of speech but still making good use of the Blight Mark’s aura.

Disadvantages

*Ink Sweat. If not focused on retaining the ink in its right place, it will inevitably leak out of his skin or at the very least smear across his clothes or hair. Whenever he’s not focused on controlling it (for example, when sleeping or when under pressure), the ink would inevitably begin to leak out from one spot or another.

*Scarring and withdrawal.
Depleting his skin of ink, although painless and pretty effective as a disguise, is not perfect. Where the tattoos lied appears a scarring very similar to the achieved after receiving a tattoo, in which all the traces of the tattoo remain but are simply colorless – one could look and see clearly the same shape and details of the tattoo yet without the color, while also acquiring a certain pronounced texture that stress it even further. Furthermore, as time passes Wikus must once again find a source of ink in order to absorb it – sort of like an inverted Ink Poisoning. Wherever the ink lied on his skin, he would begin to experience a progressively increasing skin irritation, eventually becoming eye and muscle straining that would continue to escalate until ink was absorbed and returned to its rightful place. The more ink is missing, the faster it escalates.

*Painful absorption. The process of absorbing ink is highly painful – especially if done swiftly. The process of absorbing ink requires Wikus to be in direct contact with ink of any kind, after which his skin would absorb it and return it to reconstruct the nearest tattoo, which feels exactly like getting the tattoo done like the first time but in a shorter time-lapse depending on the absorption speed. Afterwards, while the tattoos are back in their original shape and color and seem unaltered, the skin feels numb and ‘sunburnt’ as freshly tattooed skin does. This type of burn on the skin requires a few hours to heal, and many movements are restricted due to the discomfort felt in the area. It is also extremely sensitive to contact. Absorbing all the ink needed to refill his tattoos instantaneously would cause him to pass out at least or enter a shock state at most.

Limitations

*The amount of ink stored in his skin is approximately 6oz (a bit less than 200ml), and this number cannot be increased by the addition of new tattoos. If at full capacity, in order for him to drain new ink would require to simultaneously deplete the one stored in his tattoos – triggering the painful absorption.

*Any new tattoos cannot be drained of ink or hidden by the ink depletion. If he were granted citizenship in Riverfall for example, said tattoo would remain visible no matter the ink stored in his skin.

*Does not affect Gnosis marks. These will be always visible and in their original spot.

*Cannot alter his tattoos. The ink cannot be moved around his flesh freely – it will always be restricted to the original shape of the tattoos. However, he is able to stir the ink inside the tattoo’s borderlines or gently wave the entire tattoo if it doesn’t disrupt the shape, which is how he can achieve his tattoos to ‘flow’.

*Outside of his body, there is no control. Ink cannot be used to compact into weapons or threaded through the air. It will always be liquid and harmless, and the only power he holds over it is the decision to either absorb it or deplete it of his skin.

*For simplicity purposes, there is no restriction on colors or ink type. Any color of ink he absorbs would be valid to correctly refill his colorful tattoos, and whenever he leaks out ink it will always be black and non-toxic beyond the regular values. There are many ways of crafting ink, and once again for the sake of simplicity, I feel there isn’t really a need for limitation. I'm open to feedback regarding this last issue, though.

*Cannot ‘steal’ tattoos from other beings. Originally I thought he would be able to drain the ink from other people’s skin, but I’ve discarded it.

*Cannot ‘shoot’ ink. The depletion is relatively slow-paced, only increased if he were to for example open all the pores of his palm's skin and with some momentum send the ink to splatter towards an objective. He cannot deplete with force.
Wikus
It burns when I pee!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on December 12th, 2015, 8:09 pm

Wikus-

I absolutely love this idea. However, I do have issues with the 'limitations' you have on it. I honestly think to make this idea fully amazing, you shouldn't have a limit on the amount you can have in your body (though storing too much and getting ink poisoning could be a factor). But I also think you should be able to change your tats, steal tats from others, and basically have far more control of the ink within your body than you are allowing yourself now. I think any fan of tattooing would drool at this type of superpower. This would include being able to fake a 'kuvan' tattoo of citizenship. After all, its just a tattoo. Nothing magical about it. The Akalak are all 'point of pride honor' types so they'd have a difficult time imagining someone wanting to fake one.

One benefit though. I think if you absorb a book's ink, you absorb the knowledge the ink left on the pages if you did 'steal' it. I also think you should be able to refill a blank book with a book you've absorbed. So the ink itself holds a memory. You'd have to figure out how to do this fairly... meaning your not going to be able to hoover vac a library and know everything that was in those books in that library without an appropriate amount of time (equivalent to what it takes to read the book) etc.

You should leave the 'can't affect gnosis marks' on there because really nothing can affect them truthfully.

This is just a really cool idea. I'm really impressed with it. I can, as I said, approve it as is. But I'd really like you to lift some of the restrictions in a small easy rewrite with a lot of cutting out. :)
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wikus on December 14th, 2015, 11:29 am

OOCThanks Goss! I'm really glad you liked it! Your advice and feedback were awesome, and allowed me to rework the idea. Real good Foundin' right there :P

Ink control

Allows Wikus to control the ink in his body and benefit from it's origins. It has five stages, each with their own pros and cons.

Stage 0. (0oz of ink) - Wikus does not hold ink in his body. Where his original tattoos laid he displays exact copies in scarring, and he experiences intense itches while the ink is missing. He suffers from inverse ink poisoning, meaning he must find ink to refill his tattoos by absorption as quick as possible. Cannot change tattoos, control ink or segregate ink whatsoever as long as he doesn’t absorb ink. The absorption is painless at this stage as his body suffers from the lack of ink instead.

Stage 1. (Approx. 10oz of ink in his body.) Wikus holds his ‘natural’ amounts of ink. His original tattoos are completely filled and he regains total control. He can shift his tattoos at will, grant them a swaying motion, change their color and move their position freely. At this stage, his tattoos are clearly visible as tattoos and cannot fool the eye. He can segregate ink through his skin’s pores or alternatively force the ink into his digestive system, where he loses control and returns to stage 0. This method is useful for disposing of the ink with stealth while his body removes it from the digestive system naturally. Ink absorption becomes painful at the same intensity of getting a new tattoo. Ink sweating is minimal, occurring very few times and most of the times in his sleep. Ink poisoning is not existent at this stage, unless the ink is forced into the digestive system where it would produce nausea, stomach aches, and... diarrhea. *sigh*

Stage 2. (Original 10oz + 1 absorbed book/10oz = Up to 20oz of ink) Wikus becomes enlightened in his use of the ink. His tattoos become more vivid, and actually become alive, now being able to interact with each other and completely move at Wikus’ will, their obedience being almost absolute. He can imitate tattoos by merely looking at them. If a book was absorbed, he holds its memory, being able to recite the book’s contents with perfection if said book was in a language pronounceable to men. This does not, however, mean he knows it all – recital is equal to reading it for the first time, and still requires a knowledge of the language read despite his apparent proficiency while he recites. He can reproduce exact copies of the book’s pages in his skin, but cannot ‘copy’ said book. He can print the memory ink into an empty book by swiping a plane surface of his flesh against an empty page, losing any memory of said page and therefore being unable to recite it or reproduce it again unless reabsorbed. Ink sweating is bearable at this stage, occurring whenever he’s not focused on retaining the ink, losing the ink memory if the ink is not reabsorbed. Ink absorption loses intensity, becoming slower but also less painful, at half the intensity of getting a new tattoo. Ink poisoning comes into play but is minimal, characterized by frequent stomach aches, partially negating his sense of smell and taste.

Stage 3. (Original 10oz + 2 absorbed books/20oz = up to 30oz of Ink) He can now cover the entire front side of his body with ink. Wikus’ tattoos become alive and rebel against him, sabotaging him by trying to distract or scare him, moving around his body freely or disappearing completely at times. They interact with other beings. For example, if Wikus was trying to seduce a female, his tattoos could display an image of him hurting said female or displaying gruesome scenes to repel her. He can only control his ink if completely still. The vivacity of the tattoos allow him to use the ink as camouflage that can fool the human eye if used correctly - it depends on his observation and camouflage skills. Book recital becomes a bit harder, occasionally mixing pages of the two books or causing some stutter. ‘Printing’ the books is also somewhat more difficult, sometimes the ink smearing or mixing with other contents, which calls for constant corrections. Ink absorption is almost painless, instead causing great discomfort instead of pain. Ink segregation becomes tricky as few times it leaks from whenever Wikus chooses. Ink sweating becomes a problem, constantly leaking from one spot or another – plug one hole and it leaks from another one, being a very demanding task to retain the ink’s memory without losing knowledge. Ink poisoning causes frequent nausea as well as muscle soreness and general discomfort, as well as completely negating his sense of smell and taste. He cannot force his ink onto his digestive system, being unable to dispose of it with stealth.

Stage 4. (Original 10oz + 3 absorbed books/30oz = up to 40oz of ink) Wikus’ body can be completely covered by ink and becomes that of a true chameleon, being able to form tattoos that defy logic and the third dimension, offering a baffling sense of realism that even imitates textures perfectly. If he was to fake a wound with his tattoos, for example, he could display a sword that had stabbed him in the chest, the wound bleeding, and his flesh torn. Note that its merely an optical illusion. Said control can only occur whenever he’s completely still and holding his breath. Whenever he doesn’t meet the requirements for control, the ink flows through his body without any shape. Book recital is almost impossible, always interrupted by mix-ups and constant stuttering. Book ‘printing’ is very hard, often being nothing more than smears, forcing his printing to be done on a smaller scale and with constant corrections. Ink sweating is constant, leaking in great quantities that are easily noticeable. Ink absorption becomes unnatural and feared, requiring the same mental strength needed to hurt oneself. Ink poisoning is at very high levels, barely allowing him to move, not allowing him to eat nor drink, and only allowing him to see a few feet away.

Stage 5. (40oz of ink onward) Wikus body is as much as ink as it is flesh. He mixes with the environment perfectly. His tattoos automatically assumes the same characteristics as the environment, the realism being absolute. He lacks any kind of control of the ink, having ‘overdosed’ on ink. Book recital, printing, absorption and intentional segregation are impossible. His body begins disposing of the ink by random orifices of his body, said ink being rendered useless and being impossible to be reabsorbed. Any memory the ink held is lost forever. To counter effect his camouflage, Wikus cannot move at all except for breathing. His only remaining sense is hearing, and it is still affected. After his body purges the ink, he is back at stage 0 in a weakened state.

Notes:

Wikus and tattoo stealing. Wikus requires direct contact with the desired tattoo, slowly draining the ink from the victim. This is painless for said victim and is subject to Wikus’ absorption pains. He can later on return said tattoo while keeping the memory, unable to change the position, color, or shape of the tattoo – he can only return an exact copy of it without modifications.

Cannot mimic, hide, or modify gnosis marks.

‘Book recital’ is subject to language, as well as skills that can influence the book. Absorbing a poetry book doesn’t mean he can recite the poem correctly, he can only quote it literally. Being able to recite any of a books pages doesn't mean he knows what are the contents of that book - he cannot use the knowledge without having studied it. He obviously cannot recite a book of drawings, or a language that requires seven tongues, a two headed lamb and a farting machine to pronounce.

All segregated ink is black and non-toxic beyond the regular parameters.

Camouflage: In order to be completely effective, it would require Wikus to be bare naked and completely shaved – a floating beard cannot fool anyone.

Still cannot shoot ink. At stage 3 or 4, however, the segregation becomes more powerful.

Cannot control the memory loss from ink sweat. If he has one book absorbed and an additional 10oz of ink, this does not guarantee it will be the latter the one to affected by ink sweat. It's random, and ink memory loss is always a factor.

Holding 15 oz of ink still qualifies as Stage 2, for example. There is less ink available for use, but he can still benefit from alive tattoos. Also, a book's ink quantities do not matter. One absorbed book would count as 10oz regardless of size unless it was a gigantic book, where it could count as two or even three.

The book's ink memory is not permanent. They are a one-time-use only items. He cannot become a printer and copy the same book a hundred times for profit. Given that he stole it, he can only return it once onto a different surface. For more copies, more books are required to be absorbed. This does not apply to tattoos - the ink's memory is permanent.

I've increased the ink capacity in order to allow more material to work with. This affects ink sweating as well, so it's more easily noticed he's not quite normal. Also, leaking black is hardcore!
Wikus
It burns when I pee!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Saga on December 14th, 2015, 4:54 pm

I request the ability of the Dark Light Doppleganger Superpower. It is a strange phenomenal power that Saga developed seemingly out of nowhere. He is at times able to split the two souls within him into physical manifestations. Saga noticeably will look the same with his white hair. However Vuirk will appear with jet black hair, the complete opposite of Saga.

How it triggers: Saga has not truly controlled how to split but it is usually triggered when he is emotionally at odds ends with Vurik and they can no longer stand each other. The two souls create such negativity against each other that they split for a time, each with their own body and mind.

Advantages: If Saga and Vurik master the Dark Light Doppleganger, they will see that they can share the abilities that they have learned together and experiences. They can also communicate telepathically only if they are within 15 feet of each other. More practice they could possibly push that boundary.

Weakness: Though they are two which could mean twice as dangerous. There are major weaknesses. Such as if one of the souls dies in battle or in anyway else. It will kill the other soul as well. As of now Vurik cannot use any other ability besides Fire Reimancy. They also cannot be far from one another Vurik usually disappearing if he steps out of the twenty feet boundary.

Duration: The Dark Light Doppleganger causes a lot of mental strain as it requires constant focus, for now Saga can keep the split to about five minutes before his other soul is sucked back into him.
In our minds

~Saga the Sage~----~Vurik the Force~
Saga
Lost Souls

Words: 52229
Joined roleplay: January 27th, 2014, 7:54 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on December 14th, 2015, 5:44 pm

Wikus- You are approved.

Saga- The superpower you wrote up is almost an exact duplicate of Ayatah's who's been approved. I'm not allowing duplicate powers and since she was first and got hers approved, you'll have to choose something else.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext