[Aali's Scrapbook] 75% Referential Humor, 25% Puns

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on September 19th, 2015, 6:40 pm

Hello friends I am here!

I'm still busy with college deadlines and such, so I haven't been able to actually work on my character, but she's been brewing away in my head all week and I just need somewhere to put all this information and energy!

I've been hesitant to talk in the chat since, y'know, I'm new here and when I get going I really get going. Then I found out about this whole scrapbook deal!

So! Aaliyah! Nykan bard, dancer, and courtesan! Hopefully with the Audius gnosis! Hopefully with a twin Audius bard/dancer/courtesan brother! If I can get that approved.

I'll need to find the time to write them all down, but right now I'm picking away at the backstory/gnosis story in my head. I'm super nervous about it! I can't help but think 'dang this is really presumptuous. Just make a peasant. Some lowly boring prole.'

But I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna write the thing. I'm gonna make an outline and everything. It's gonna be great.

They/Them, please.
Last edited by Aaliyah Tabr on October 8th, 2015, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Words: 17646
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2015, 1:52 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on September 19th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Is double-posting kosher in these things? I'm gonna go with yes. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

This is my absolute favorite aesthetic, and Aaliyah will be rocking these sweet duds if I can get away with it.

Can Mizahar fashion be so cool? I sure hope so!
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on September 20th, 2015, 9:09 pm

[redacted because I really need to learn to stop whining in public when my depression acts up]
Last edited by Aaliyah Tabr on December 2nd, 2015, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

whines

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on September 26th, 2015, 9:43 pm

So I'm trying to find pictures and such to use for Aaliyah, and I'm thinking I'll use Korra, because Korra.

Except it turns out there isn't nearly as much art of belly dancer Korra as I thought

I may have to find a different sexy dancer lady
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

My Aesthetic (Also Motivation)

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on October 6th, 2015, 11:12 am

One of these days I'll throw a little pomp and circumstance at this thread. Organize the first post into an actual header, find actual templates for posts, make it more like a proper blog and less like some half-assed twitter.

Today is not that day.

Actual Content: My entire writer aesthetic can be summarized as "Excited ten year-old."

If your idea sounds like an excited ten year-old is explaining it, I am absolutely into that. If your idea sounds like a sick painting spray-painted on the side of a van, I am absolutely into that. Pulp is my lifeblood.

You ever read Axe Cop? It's a comic written by a four year-old child and illustrated by a thirty year-old professional comic artist. I love Axe Cop. It has a rocket-propelled magic T-Rex with miniguns for arms.

Things I need to tell myself more: You gotta stay true to the things you like and the things you want. Be yourself! Be honest! Write what you want to! Enjoy yourself! You're doing this to have fun!
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Plot Bunnies And Wild Dreams

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on October 6th, 2015, 7:33 pm

In between stress and classes and assignments and stress, I've been fantasizing about cool adventures Aaliyah could have, and potential stories involving characters I'm intent on threading with one way or another. I figured I'd write some of these wildest-dream scenarios down so I can focus on other things, like stress and classes and assignments and stress.

As I've been trying not to yell at anyone who will listen, Aaliyah's overarching motivation will be the disappearance of her twin brother. People vanish in Nyka all the time, and most of them think little of it, but Aaliyah is intent on bringing her brother back.

Her first theory is that he was taken by the Aperture, the tremendous spooky canyon running through Nyka. She petitions the Alvina for help, she spends days scrying through the Mirror of Tanroa, asking about the Aperture, and where people go when it takes them. Her search leads her to the mysteries of Akajia, and whispers of a Night Stalker who communes with the shadows in the Aperture. There's someone who would have answers, she thinks.

One thing leads to another - read: I haven't figured this bit - and Aaliyah descends into the Aperture itself. There, in the dark, Aaliyah trades her shadow for an older, wilder one. It is willful, and tends to surge and writhe independently of any light, often wandering off without Aaliyah, leaving her with no shadow at all.

I love this idea. Go into the earth and trade your shadow. Smells like good myth. (Holy crap, I just realized she could have an awesome title like Aaliyah Wild-shade or something.)

I've got a wish-list of people I'm dying to play with, and some wild dreams for two of them: Alses and Kavala.

The Sanctuary is an enclave of healers and dreamwalkers who can mine past lives for lost knowledge. There's no way Aaliyah's search wouldn't bring her to Riverfall.

I want Aaliyah to be fatally poisoned. But in a cool way. Like, by living venom disguised as ink on a page, or something. Cue a desperate rush to the Sanctuary, and a dying Aaliyah stumbling through their doors. Finding out who tried to kill her and why would be a cool story to play out while in Riverfall, along with Aaliyah dealing with the Cytali.

By the time Aaliyah comes to Lhavit, she'll undoubtedly be powerful and frightening. She'll look to Alses for help constructing another wild-dream magic item: A crown or halo of eyes. Not sure what she'd trade for it, but it'd probably be something awesome. Plus I recently learned that Alses was straight up kidnapped and has made powerful enemies for her political reforms, so I'm thinking body guard plot woo!

Those are the biggest that have come to me so far. In case you can't tell, I'm operating on some heavy DnD inspiration. It's been a long time since I've done this kind of thing, and I'm hoping I'll be able to do more collaborative storytelling than gaming - I have a lot of peeves and bad memories from past roleplaying forums, and I want to leave all that behind and focus on the fun parts. I'm making it my mission to tell a good, cool, sexy, fun, and interesting story.
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

So much to do, so little time

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on October 12th, 2015, 12:02 am

Dropping in to say I might be scarce for a bit. School is hard, and I barely have time to even talk to people these days. Have some more plot bunnies. These have been sitting in my drafts for like two weeks.

I want Aaliyah to be initiated into Leeching by accident. She's captured and incapacitated by some supercharged djed shackles, or stabbed or shot with a weapon enchanted to bleed all the djed out of a person. When she comes to, wherever that might be, her djed has been damaged in the way that makes Leeching possible.

I'll certainly try to pick up Dominion relatively early on, though I haven't thought of a cool way I'd like to do it yet.

I've got this one idea for why her brother was taken and people keep trying to take her, but I have no idea if it's even feasible:

At the height of Dominion, a master mage ruled great swaths of the Ukalas. After the gods outlawed the art, and she died in the purge, the gods worried that she might use her bound Domains against them even in death. (Presumably she found a way to extend her contract somehow, or something similar)

To prevent this, the mage's soul was split in two, to be cast into the reincarnation cycle as twins.

The Ruv'na now seek those souls, intending to reawaken the mage's old Domains and turn them against the gods, rendering vast portions of it uninhabitable, or toxic, or wounded like Syna and Leth's realms. Or something.

Anyway they find the brother but not the sister.

It's solid, at least on the surface. And that's about all the time I've got tonight! Possibly this week! I am overwhelmed and drowning!
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Ruv'minations.

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on October 27th, 2015, 9:58 pm

Get it? I've been ruminating on the Ruv'na?

I've been really enamored with the Ruv'na lately. A lot of it seems really just arbitrarily evil, with a "it's not weird, they're just Different(TM)!!!" disclaimer, which I'm really not a fan of, but there's potential for some really interesting rhetoric and motivations there.

A Ruv'na could be the most honest priest you'll ever meet and the most learned divine scholar in the world. A kind of anti-priest! They might respect the gods while rejecting them. They might genuinely believe that the world would be better without gods.

They become three times more interesting when you try to look at it from their point of view, and also assume that people are generally good and torturing your children isn't a great policy.

Also I'm having tons of fun coming up with arguments against the good-aligned gods. Anyone could list a hundred reasons why we should throw Rhysol into the Void, but how would you rationalize killing Rhaus, or Priskil? Rak'keli?

I guess the first thing that comes to mind is the basic, overarching argument: No gods. You can't pick and choose, you go hard or go home. The sun will strike you blind, and the moon will sear the flesh from your bones if you so much as whisper your mission where they can see you. The mortal realm must be free of divine tyranny.

Sylir's death didn't plunge the world into eternal war and permanently destroy civilization, so we know that a god's principality doesn't stop existing when it's unoccupied. Sagallius Hrinn is another example - he was gunning for the seat of god of magic. There is no god of magic, but magic works just fine. In fact, we have solid evidence that a human can outmatch a god.

Is there anything divine magic can do that mortals can't? Magic, paramagic, or even science can replicate most any miracle, and without being beholden to some immortal's whimsy.

I can also see the Ruv'na being attracted to the idea of a Mizahar defined and ruled by its people. People who live for themselves and each other, not some god. I can see them asking which you would prefer - a world where good is defined as the good of the people, or a world where good is defined as the good of the gods?

There's a lot of levers here! So many angles! From the fear-mongering "What do you think will happen the next time Ivak gets a crush on someone?" to the more reasonable "First the Valterrian, then the Djed Storm - the gods' games will kill us all if we don't end them." or a more uplifting "People are great, let's have a world with just people and no gods screwing with them."

Or I could be completely missing the point of the Ruv'na, and they could be going for a whole "THIS PARTY NEVER STOPS, TIME IS DEAD AND MEANING HAS NO MEANING!" type thing.
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Winter Plans

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on December 2nd, 2015, 8:49 pm

Every time I hear about the need for staff I think "yeah I could do that." And then I remember that no, I can't do that, and I don't have the street cred or the standing yet to go for Grader, let alone ST.

Anyway, it's a new season! My first proper season, really. Joining just a couple of weeks before the final project crunch and the following exam crunch wasn't my brightest idea. But now I'm free and clear and I can do stuff!

So the first stuff I'm gonna do is I'm gonna finish up the Fall job threads I tossed up the day before the season change. I figure the sensible thing to do is get those out of the way before heading into winter threads so I don't have to be worrying about outstanding living expenses.

Second stuff I'm gonna do is get some threads going. The exam crunch was good in that I was able to get some distance and calm my initial star-eyed obsession and now I can set to actually putting my money where my mouth is. I'll need to do some threads and get an actual feel for Aaliyah's character. Gotta build up some confidence, y'know?

A lot of people are making big goals for the season! The Drykas will be decimated by raiders, Alvadas will go to war against an undead army, Lhavit is going to starve, etc. So I'm gonna aim high too!

Aaliyah will seduce the Celestials who watch over Nyka.

Or, failing that, just grind hard for Seduction EXP and related skills.

I have no idea how to actually pull this off, though! It's a goal, not a story. I suppose I'll have to ask Balderdash about it. And put up an NPC request for Aaliyah's family. I don't know why, but the thought of actually trying to get things done after talking such a big game makes me feel like The Worst Person(tm).
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Scarce for the Holidays

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on December 17th, 2015, 12:07 am

Putting this here because it seems like the place to put it:

Tomorrow's a work day so I'm not sure I'll be good for much of anything, and the day after that I'll be going into the country for a couple of days, and the day after that I'll be working for three more days. After that it's Christmas.

I'll be scarce as heck for the next week or so, basically. Sorry!
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next