Hunting Trip ( Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

Hunting Trip ( Open)

Postby Saddleskull on November 12th, 2010, 1:25 am

Winter was fast approaching. That much was evident in the cold bite of the wind and the sea of grass forever shifting in the breeze. The doe-skin leggings, the fur-lined tunic and the battered mausicans did little to take the edge out of it and Mauga had a feeling it was only the vitality of youth that kept the cold from gnawing at his bones.

For a man on the hunt however all such thoughts of comfort are pushed aside? The only concern of his the direction of that wintry wind and the thought it might carry his scent far enough for his quarry to pick up on and flee. The rain damp grass already soaking his trousers to the knee had left a distinct earthy smell about him. The sickly sweet scent of festering mud, far more comely than any perfume or fragrance distilled by man. The tall grass, stuck together by the rain into thick reeds collapsed under each footstep, the grass which when dry would crunch and crackle under every footstep and ruin the hunters chances of a meal became a boon in the winter. The short bow in his hand was only good for about a hundred and fifty yards, but with the stealth and predatory cunning of man one hundred and fifty yards was all he needed. The simple construction of wood and twine was bedecked with tribal symbols of strength, masculinity and virility. An eagle feather hung from the bottom curve, dangling alongside a collection of crow feathers and the foot of a rabbit. The upper recurve was likewise decorated with a tuft of horse hair shaved from the man of his first mount when he was but a boy. The simple bow was hand decorated with carvings to mark the kills both of man and beast that the owner had made since becoming a man and the markings on this particular bow covered almost the entire face.

A sudden jerk of movement ahead made the hunter crouch low in the grass, wrestling for control of his breath to slow it. It was the mistake of a child to lose ones meal because of loud breathing. He counted off the heartbeats, waiting until he was sure the moment had passed and then waiting longer just to be certain. Nature had blessed his quarry with keen senses and a powerful body mounted on long, swift legs that would far outpace his own. Inch by inch he crept through the grass, his breath measured. He could see the twin horns now, rising over the grass like a majestic crown. Bobbing as this wild king switched between dining in his royal court among whatever hardy insects could survive the cold above ground and scanning the stretches of his domain for any invaders who would threaten his monarchy. Another footstep drew him closer; the arrow in his hand was placed against string and clenched in a two fingered grip, the bow held not vertical but across the body to provide a lower profile. Easing further forward he drew back the bow string further. Another step...

Suddenly a branch carried through the long years by the winds from some distant forest into the rolling sea of grass snapped in two under his tread. The stag flinched, muscles bunching almost instantly. Its head lifted and Mauga knew he had given himself away. He rose to stand from his hiding place; the stag instantly saw him and made to run. With swift aim an arrow was loosed. It soared through the air seeking flesh and found it in the right leg of his prey. The beast in its haste to retreat stumbled over the now lame leg, but the vitality of the creature and the surge of instinct to flee as fast as it could gave the animal a fighting chance. Mauga would not have time to fire another shot with his bow and his addled prey was swiftly recovering its senses. Tossing his bow aside Mauga sprinted to catch up with the beast as it scrambled to its feet. It began to run and the young warrior struggled to match pace with even this wounded animal. Leaping into the animal he bowled it over and fell alongside it, hand scrambling for the curved knife strapped to his boot. Dragging it clear he struggled with the deer, bunching his legs to drive his body upright, its head along with him. Sliding the curved blade under its throat he whipped it sharply across. Warm blood instantly gushed into his hands and even then the stag continued to struggle. Soon however those struggles died just as it did. Laying the creatures head in the grass Mauga knelt alongside it. “Forgive me brother.” He whispered, stroking the beast’s neck. “Your life I take only for a meal, you were strong and brave. I am honoured to have your flesh feed me and my people. Rest now and rejoice. Today you find your happy plain.” The stag’s eyes went glassy, staring accusingly upward at the moody sky. Mauga sawed the creature’s great horns off with his knife before cleaning it on the matted fur.

He was about to bind the beast and cart it to his horse when the slightest noise from behind him caused the young warrior to go stiff as a board. He waited a second more and felt the presence of someone else close by. He dragged the tomahawk from it's place in the loop of his belt and wheeled around sharply, ready to fend off any would be scavanger.
Saddleskull
Player

Words: 9454
Joined roleplay: November 3rd, 2010, 11:51 pm
Race: Human

Hunting Trip ( Open)

Postby Tierranalin on November 17th, 2010, 7:07 am

She had been sleeping lightly until an hour ago when she felt the ache and chill of the wind. She changed to her human state and stood, stretched and then gathered her clothing from under a bush, she looked around herself before giving a sigh and putting her clothes on. Every muscle and bone ached, she was more wolf than woman. She welcomed it, she slept as wolf to keep warm but when she awoke and changed she always froze almost to death.

She is a Kelvic able to take the form of an animal and a human, it was an old race of shapeshifter that are left to wander the world without a true home, lost and looking for companionship. All she had was stories, no past just heritage. No family just sketches of a life she once had. No home and little possessions such as a vile of Wolf's bane. Tucking the slender vile under her shirt with its chain latched around her slender neck she felt the warmth and weight of the vile. She collected her sketches also scatted under the bush and folded them into her right boot.

Her hair was long and thick. Several braids of several sizes hung down past her shoulder, some held beads others held metals and all held her dark red and black hair. Few strands wisp across her face and brush her full heart shaped lips. Few strands hid her big dark eyes. Her pale skin glowed against the fur hood of the cloak she wore, her leather bodice and soft cotton shirt held little warmth this time of year. Dark breeches blended her in with the bushes around her, her boots lined with fur kept her warm but this was not enough to stop her running from bandits. She was one with her surroundings but in winter her mother nature pushed her away.

She looked up at the sky and took a deep breath in. She needed food and conveniently she was down wind of a kill and a human. She remembered the family she once had and the last time she had been in contact with humans. They were up there in the sky as stars, that's where her mother told her they would go when they passed away, then they could look down and watch her grow and protect her as spirits. She wondered when she would next be safe to turn back to her natural wolf state. All these thoughts were interrupted by the smell of the man and blood, she darted quietly and quickly behind trees and through grass with her glowing eyes watching and searching for the interruption. Had he seen her? Smelt her? Heard her?

She had been hunting bandits and messing them around in payback for the crimes they had committed to her family for some time. She knew they were after her now and they were getting smarter. She was hungry after her sleep and the smell of blood tingled deep in her nose. She wondered if the man was a bandit making the kill and drawing blood to trap her and entice her in. She looked to the sky once more then at the man "Would you share with a poor lone female?" she whispered moving her position so he would not spot her. "Or do you use this as a trap to lure some crazed creature?" She said moving in a circle around him but back enough to be hidden by the trees. She let out a soft murmur to herself 'Please Mother let him share, I need warmth and a fresh kill can give me that. I will live through this winter'.
Tierranalin
Child of the moon

Words: 47682
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2010, 11:42 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Hunting Trip ( Open)

Postby Saddleskull on November 18th, 2010, 1:26 am

While Mauga was by most considerations a young man he had been plungedi nto violence almost since he was born. Such is the way for a warrior. How else to grow fast and strong and lean? When one lives such a lifestyle they develop a... one might call it a sixth sense. Some people believed it was a spirit guide offering a warning, others that it was merely the sharpening of the senses but Mauga had an ability to feel eyeso n his back and it always made him uncomfortble. He hadn't heard the strange woman approach, nor had he caught her scent for she was up wind of him and his human senses were dulled by the scent of the moist grass and the rich, salty blood.

When the young warrior turned around it was not as a man, stratled, confused and momenterily witless but as an animal. He whipped around instantly, his teeth bared, eyes wild and a shrieking warcry moments from his lips. It died in his throat before it could disturb the surronding peace of the landscape however. Nothing was there, it was unlike him to jump at shadows. He froze, hand still clutching his tomahawk with a white knuckle grip. He craned his neck, straining to hear over the sound of the wind rustling the long grass. Despite the lack of intruder that cold claw that had crept into his gut had not yet left him. His eyes scanned the undergrowth, his every muscle taunt, his mouth dry and his stomach tight with anticpation. At any moment he expected a rival to come barrling through the tree's weapon raised high, or some other creature to loop out of it's hiding place.

The voice made his eyes narrow and he dropped slightly, as if expecting an arrow to pierce the surronding foliage and lance his heart. He wheeled his body towards the sound of the voice, only breifly cast a glance over his shoulder to ensure nothing was creeping up behind him while he was distracted. His mind was racing. He was in a fairly poor strategic position. If whoever was out there was an enemy with even the crudest of ranged weapons he would be a sitting duck, his own weapon useless if he could not see them. Sucking in cold air he stood up straight, sticking his chest out and squaring his broad shoulders as he stood protectivly over his kill. He followed the voice as best he could, moving his head to the direction it came from before turning to face that way.

What kind of person would hide while asking for meat? This all reeked too much of an ambush but then...What harm could a single person pose to him? A single woman no less! The thought thathe he would be struck down by such a wayward creature was laughable and his contempt fed him courage. " You are intruding in the camo of Mauga Saddleskull! Son of Many-Wounds." The young man announced rather boldly, his deep voice rumbling in his throat. " By our laws of hospitality, you are welcome to sit in my camp and share in my kill but I will not speak to a shadow." Head swivvling constantly, scanning the tree's for a sign of the soft voice he added. " Show yourself." His eyes blazing, this foolish game of hide and seek soon playing on his nerves. She had mentioned somthing about a crazed beast which if he was not so worked up might have alarmed him, but right now his heart was hammering in his chest and his blood was running ablaze. Perhaps it was just a woman looking for substance but what were the chances?
Saddleskull
Player

Hunting Trip ( Open)

Postby Tierranalin on November 21st, 2010, 9:51 pm

She could see him and scan his every move and she smiled with the knowledge that he could not see hers. He hadn't heard her approach, he hadn't caught her scent, she had him right there for her taking.

She noticed something different about this man, he wasn't just a clone of his race, he seemed more... alive and more natural than the city dwellers. He still clutched his tomahawk with a tight grip, she knew the things he could do with such a weapon in such a grip. She took in every detail with her keen eyes, if she was wolf she probably wouldn't have been able to hold herself back for this long. The blood was right there and flirting with her nose and mouth making it water. Her belly gave off a soft rumble as her eyes fed on the sight of the kill.

If she was going to kill him now was her chance but no such thoughts crossed her mind, she had no intention of harming the man in front of her at all. She pulled her blade from her left boot and slid her bag off of her shoulder and lightly tossed it in front of him then she moved so her position was hidden.

He was protective of his kill, she could tell by the way he stood and the lack of distance between himself and the carcass. She could feel the courage in his voice and see the change in his stance. "Who said you were speaking to a shadow?" she said quietly. "I have placed my effects before you and if you would please lower your weapon so I know the feeling is mutual I will show myself" she eyes were fixed on his weapon as he clutched it tightly. "I will not harm you unless you wish that upon me yourself" she said taking her first step out of the bush.

She had her hood half up so her face was visible. She stood before him with no weapon in had, just her, her cloak and day clothes. Her sketches were tucked into her right boot but what threat would they pose? She moved away from her pack and weapons and stood in the open. Her nose burned and her throat ached with hunger as she glanced at the kill. She softened her own breath and listened for other men incase he was not alone. She had the upper hand before but now she was the one who could be taken down with a single flick of the wrist.

"Please, I am hungry and cold and I just ask for some meat" she tilted her neck to the side showing flesh and she turned her arms as she outstretched them showing her wrists as a sign of surrender. "Feed me or send me away" she said with a stronger tone this time feeling the wolf's hunger as well as her own. She was frail and could feel her legs shaking beneath her. "Your not a bandit are you?" she whispered just out of curiosity. Her eyes clearly showed her hunger as she fought the urge to eat.
Tierranalin
Child of the moon

Character sheet

Hunting Trip ( Open)

Postby Saddleskull on November 22nd, 2010, 11:47 pm

The sudden uncomfortble tense of his shoulders was not a new sensation. It happened every time he was uneasy since he was a child. Now however ithe sensation seemed to burn him. To have someone so close and yet be unable to find them was galling to say the least. On the odd occassion he would hear somthing, or half glimpse a figure in the tree's and wheel only to find nothing but branch and leaf. He growled then, the sound a rumble in his throat. For all the good it would do he could retreat, but which way was the owner of the voice lurking? Indeed which way would provide him any saftey at all? No better to meet whatever came out here where the strength of his arm could crush it and where his knife could tear away life and leave him with another mark on his weapon.

He flinched slightly as the blade thudded into the clearing ahead. He didn't move out of the way but rather ducked to his right in a fighting crouch, ready for anything. Yes...Surrendering the blade might be an honest sign of truce but how many blades remained hidden after that one? The voice projected from the forest suggesting his courseof action and after a second or two Mauga backs up, never once did he stop scanning the terrain. When he was back a few feet from the blade he squatted and thudded the metal blade of his weapon into the earth where the handle jutted out under it's own strength. Rising he glanced over his shoulder for any sign of his intruding guest.

She emerged a few moments later and he glanced from her to over her shoulder, checking for any signs of movement thatm ight give away any comrades she had still lurking in the undergrowth. When he was convinced she was alone he returned his gaze to her. She was an unusual looking woman of course, Not classically pretty but their was a certian rough charm to her. The hard lines of her form contrasting with apparently soft skin. She herself wasn't untouched by violence and he saw the silvery details of scars on her body.

The promise of meaning no harm brought a look of contempt from Mauga, his eyes narrowing at the mere suggestion he could be harmed by a woman crawling half starvedfrom the woods to faun over his kill. However she did deserve a little respect for surrendering her position of advantage in hopes that his spirit was a kind one. That was bravery. Her plea for meat was met with a few moments silence. He owed her nothing and he was certian his people would benefit more from the meat than her. After all she was neither wife nor child and deserved nothing thath is strength and cunning had bought.

Her second demand, this tieme delivered harsher brought a growl from Magua's lips. " I am not your bootlick!" He snarled, baring his teeth before returning to brooding over the subject. Of course all things considered he was a warrior second and a man first. Would he be able to see his reflection in the water and be proud of what he saw if he let this woman -Foolish as she may be to go so long without eating- be taken by starvation? The awnser came almost without thinking. " Sit." the young man said after a moment, his voice softer and the gowl that had underlined his every word to her previously was now gone. Walking over to the carcass Mauga drew his knife from his boot and set about the bloody work of carving the kill. It was obvious in the way he roughly butchered the meat and sawed at the tendons that he was not woodsman. The way the meat was cut was not neat but rough and hastily hewed. Blood occassionally spurted onto his hand as he severed an artery or struck an organ.

He didn't look up to see if she sat or not but he heard her question and his reply was laced with contempt. " Hah!" Dragging a piece of linen from his pack he wrapped several bloody chunks in it and placed it to one side. " I am a lion, not a jackel." Wiping the blood and grease clean on his leggings he tied the linen off and approached her.

The warrior sat cross-legged a little infront of her and laid the makeshift parcel along with it's bloody delights on the soft forest earth infront of her. " What was mine is now your's. If you need to roast it you may linger in my camp long enough to do so. Retrive your weapon from the earth, the mositure would ruin the blade." Before waiting for her reply he leaned over and pluckedh is own weapon from the earth, taking great care as he dried and cleaned the blade on his tunic. " You mentioned bandits. Are they why you hide out of sight and scavange?" He asked, his tone without mocking For all he knew the woman could be a forest spirit sent to test him or somthing more sinister, but she was in need and no man worthy to be called such would let her wither away.
Saddleskull
Player

Hunting Trip ( Open)

Postby Tierranalin on November 23rd, 2010, 12:48 am

She knew he had glimpsed flashes of her through the trees and she knew she made him uneasy. She had no weapon except her own jaws and hands but she felt no need to use them. She pictured herself in his shoes and knew she would feel threatened and angry with the fact she got herself into that situation.

She watched him as he backed up making her feel the slightest bit closer to her goal. She was that slightest bit closer to getting fresh food. He had placed his weapon into the earth much like she had and now she knew she could trust the man before her.

He did not look at her but behind her, she looked over her shoulder for a moment then back at him "I travel alone if that is what you are concerned about" she said softly. His eyes moved back to her and she did the same, scanning him and taking in the details. She watched his eyes and pulled her cloak around her to hide the silver scar upon her hip. He looked respectable and smart and she knew she would be able to trust him as many probably did.

She couldn't help but look past him for a moment at the kill. Blood was all she could see and smell she wanted it, longed for it. They stood silent for a moment as they both processed what was going on and what would soon happen. She looked at her belongings and thought about grabbing them and taking off into the trees once again. She could hunt for her own food but it could take days before she actually got to eat.

She lifted her chin slightly as he snarled a remark at her. She showed her teeth in a white snarl herself. "We all have to live don't we. You never know these days who wishes you harm or not" she closed her mouth and ran her tongue across the wolf fangs as they started to come through her gums and replace the human teeth. She shook her head and thought about her human form and the task in front of her. "If it is that much trouble should I just leave?" she said taking a deep breath. The wolf in her wanted out, it wanted feeding.

He told her to sit and for a moment she just stood thinking about what she was doing and then she crouched down. His voice was softer now but she knew he could do without her interruption. She watched him walk to the carcass and draw his blade. She felt tingles shoot across her arms and legs as he hacked at the carcass and the blood spurted onto his hands. She felt her mouth water and her eyes change to a golden colour. The colour of the wolf.

She watched him intently as he wrapped the chunks in linen. She knew it would not be poisoned and that it would be fresh. He moved towards her and sat cross-legged in front of her and placed the parcel there in front of her. "Thank you" she whispered keeping her hungry once black but now golden eyes low. "I... I'm used to raw meat" she said with a slight smirk. She wouldn't want to be near his camp as a wolf, she could only imagine how they would react. She moved slowly as she grabbed her blade from the ground and placed it back in her boot.

He spoke and she listened still keeping her eyes low. "Bandits... they took everything from me. I hide out of sight because of them but I do not scavenge. This is a first and I'm sorry for it" she said softly. "I'm however very thankful for this, I could have hunted myself but it may be days before I took anything down and such time my body would start to slow and wither. So thank you" She said reaching out a pale hand toward the parcel.

Tierranalin
Child of the moon

Character sheet