PM to join Learning the Ropes (Amelia)

Dru makes an acquaintance on the job and learns what that strange device is.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Learning the Ropes (Amelia)

Postby Drusilla on January 9th, 2016, 4:19 pm

11th of Winter 515 AV

Drusilla hurried along trying to run the best a heavily pregnant creature could. Her first day of work and she was late and lost. It figured and she swore some god was getting a good belly laugh from watching her. Memories of her youth came back to her, she was always getting lost going to work when she first came to Wind Reach...

The Symenestra spun around a few times. Oh how imbecilic she must look! As if the people of the city weren't already walking with wide births around her, now they'd think she was mad. Just when she was sure the building had moved somehow, she came face to face with it and she hurried inside The Silk Palace to a lecture, no doubt.

"Yes?... Yes... No!... I..I apology, yes?" The Symenestra sighed. At least in Wind Reach she could explain herself better. Common had never been an important language to know in either of her homes. In Kalinor she was taught Symenos as a child and later in her teens she'd learn Nari, the language of the birds. Common had never seemed that important at all and even though she understood it... Speaking it was a whole different story. Accents from Nari and Symenos coated her common making it that much harder to understand. Maybe she should just yammer off in Nari... That would catch them all off guard...

Drusilla was finally released from being chastised and made her way to where the workers were, only to have her attention stolen by something she had never seen. A thing. That was all she really could describe it as was, a thing. A metal thing... It had a knob or handle connected to a crank or something. What was it used for? Cautiously she walked around it to an empty sewing desk with two empty chairs, she took the one closest to the wall. Looking around the room she found that most seemed to work on whatever they thought would look good as an outfit. Nobody had slips of tasks that needed to be finished nor were there files on the sizes of the people of Lhavit. Had Wind Reach really been that tiny? That oppressive? She could just hear Brandon complaining about the place and the Endals. A nostalgic smile found it's way to her face. Just then the chair next to her moved causing a mini freak out for the day dreaming Symenestra.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Amelia on January 11th, 2016, 6:05 pm

It was just another at work day for Amelia, but already her enthusiasm was beginning to wane. She was working on a gaudy pink blouse that a customer had bought in the previous day. The garment had been ripped by the woman’s delightful toddler son, who she had, for some reason, bought with her to the Silk Palace. Whilst the gross little child pottered around, no doubt wiping his nose on the silk dresses, Amelia had served the mother, who wanted her favourite top to be repaired.

The whole ordeal had only solidified in the seamstress’ mind that children and fashion did not go together, and she certainly was unwilling to give up the latter to have a snot-nosed little grub of her own one day. Keep your kids, I’ll continue to look ravishing.

She worked slowly to sew up to the rip in the blouse. It was three inches long, and ran up the left-hand side seam. Though the garment was far from tight-fitting on it’s owner, Amelia knew that if she sewed too deeply into the seam, she would throw off the shape of the blouse. She used a simple running stitch, popping the needle through the underside of the material and pulling the thread through. Then she pushed it back through, making neat little stitches that used the original seamline as a guide.

Her attention was caught by a fellow employee, a woman who Amelia had not seen before now. The blonde gasped, and felt herself instinctively lean away from the passing white haired woman. A Symenestra! Why would Shilo allow such a creature to work in her beloved store? Amelia was equal parts disgusted and terrified. She knew that the Spider folk kidnapped women and forced them to be surrogates for their horrid offspring — and with her cheekbones and natural golden hair, Amelia was certain she was an ideal target.

After all, who wouldn’t want to force her to have their children?

Yet this woman before her was heavily pregnant. Clearly she needed no surrogate, but then against perhaps it was a rouse to gain the trust of poor, helpless women? Suspicion hovered over Amelia like a bad smell, and her own paranoia had the blonde suddenly on her feet, twisting away from the centre of the rear of the store to get some distance between herself and the Symenestra.

And yet stupidly, Amelia mistimed her escape. Instead of fleeing, she found herself closer than ever with the Spider. ”Oh! Oh! I’m… I’m sorry.” Amelia stammered out, uncharacteristically nervous and speechless. She scurried past the woman and took safety in another chair, restarting her work but this time using the only manual sewing machine that the Silk Palace owned. It would speed up her work and thus enable Amelia to escape from the clutches of the Symenestra.
Amelia
Easily underestimated

Words: 149648
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2015, 7:30 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on January 15th, 2016, 1:07 am

Drusilla could still feel eyes on her, they were waiting for her to do something; anything! Why couldn't they look past what she was? Coming to this city had been nothing but torment for her, but it was better than what Wind Reach would hold for her children.

A new woman walked into the room and a new set of eyes bore daggers into her. Drusilla didn't bother to look at her. She had decided to work on a large loom, weaving bolts of cloth. Her long nimble fingers wove the threads over and under with little error. Weaving was calming, something she had done since she was four. It had been her work ethics and previous training that had won over the Inarta, surely she could do the same here. Gods, what she'd give to have a Nari speaker here among the women.

Suddenly someone bumped into her, it was the newcomer who had been staring. To her stuttered apologies the Symenestra simply waved a hand, "Yeah, yeah, Enda..." Drusilla was unfazed by the woman's apology, perhaps this was the women's way of getting a closer look at her. It was no big deal. She returned to her loom until a strange noise caught her attention, it was that same woman with the strange device and while her mind told her it was a bad idea... Drusilla decided to approach the woman.

The room quieted some as the Symenestra moved across the room. "Ah... Enda..This is.... a what?" She put her hand to her face. "I mean... uh..." She pointed to the device, "What does it? Wind Reach none have." Her hand moved to her chest. "From Wind Reach, Drusilla. My name is Drusilla Aster." She put on a brave face and stood her ground. She was harmless, she'd prove it.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Amelia on January 21st, 2016, 4:56 pm

Amelia’s heart did not settle until the rhythmic clunking of the sewing machine finally soothed her nerves. Exhaling, she kept her blue eyes trained on the machine, one hand pushing the material slowly towards the dropping needle, whilst her other hand rotated the wheel that controlled the speed of the aforementioned needle.

Though the machine ensured that her stitches were evenly sized and distributed - as long as her turning of the wheel maintained a steady speed - Amelia worked slowly. She was more used with sewing by hand and knew that it could be more challenging to correct a stitch misplaced by machine than by herself. For the next five chimes, she hummed a tune to herself to drown out the clunking of the sewing machine, all while she continued to turn the gadget’s wheel.

But her attention was snapped by silky words delivered into her ear. The blonde winced and lent away from the unfamiliar voice - she did not have to wonder who the words belonged to. The slight mispronunciation of the words and the accent alone gave away the speaker’s identity.

And yet still Amelia did not turn around to face the woman. Instead she kept her eyes trained on the machine before her, though her turning of the wheel had slowed significantly. Perhaps if she did not show the Symenestra her face, she would not be lured into some trap of false friendship and subsequently kidnapped. “It’s a sewing machine.” She said plainly, keeping her voice as even as she could. Still, though, Amelia could hear the slight wavering of her words that betrayed her anxiety. “It’s quicker than sewing by hand.” But much harder to stab you in the eye, Spider. She thought with a sidelong glance to the pale woman beside her.

“You’re new.” She murmured. It wasn’t a question, and yet Amelia wondered why she had even said it. The last thing she wanted was to build a bridge between she and this stranger, lest the Symenestra cross that bridge and steal her in the night. The white-haired woman had claimed to be from Wind Reach, and indeed her accent had not been as strong as the few other Symenestra Amelia had spoken to… And yet Amelia still mistrusted her deeply. Was her concern deep and self-conceited? Yes. But in Amelia’s mind, selfishness was the root of survivalism.
Amelia
Easily underestimated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on February 1st, 2016, 4:06 am

Drusilla gave a surprised look, "Huh, who would of think! A machine does sew. Amazing! I will be having to learn this... machine." She cocked her head in awe of this new information. "Reliable sewing, it does? A-are there many mis-ta-ke mis-take mistakes and flaws? Doesn't chew up the fabrics? Hmm..." Besides being frustrated at her own mouth and and the lack of correct words that came from it Drusilla looked over the bits and gears that made up the sewing machine. Metal was a precious commodity in Wind Reach, used only for the most important of things. No, they couldn't of ever had one unless it could be replicated with glass.

Judging from the machine glass would never work, no matter how talented the glassmaker or glassblower. Completly absorbed in the sewing machine, it wasn't until the woman working the machine asked a question. "Ah, yes. Very new. The 7th I arrived. Lady Ochya, no,no, no. What word... Shin-ya? and Akoko... no Okoko... no Okomo! Lady Shinya and Okomo meet me." The Symenestra sighed, "It's so hard! My head knows the word, but my mouth will not say them right. I know the words in Nari and Symenos but can't get it to Common."

"You know city well Enda? I sorry Enda is Symenos much like Common's term 'Miss'. What name have you...... M-miss?" She tilted her head to the side.

oocSorry for taking so long, I've had a nasty flu bug.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Amelia on February 17th, 2016, 4:19 pm

The spider seemed a talkative, nervous woman, the irony of which was not lost on Amelia. She tried to smile, to seem welcoming at least for the time being. But still, in the back of her mind, were the paranoid doubts that told Amelia that perhaps this was simply an act to lure her into a false sense of trust and security. As such, when she spoke, she did so in a chilly, professional manner.

“Yes. The machine makes the stitches very neat and even. It’s good for work where small stitches are needed.” She touched a finger delicately to the rip she was repairing, which was approximately two thirds sewn back together. “And especially work where the stitches need to be as invisible as possible.”

She returned back to work, turning the wheel of the sewing machine quicker than before, watching carefully as the needle dropped into the material, picked up the thread the either side and pulled it back through. A perfect little stitch was the result of her efforts, and Amelia continued with her machined sewing, right up until the entire length of the tear had been sewn back together. At this point, she snipped off the left over thread and admired her work, which she subsequently gave to the Symenestra for her to also inspect.

“Most people in Lhavit speak more than one language.” Her attempt was to be kind, offering the white-haired woman some sort of solace that her lack of fluent in Common would not be too much of a hindrance. “Nari in particular, less so the Symenos.” That final word was spoken hesitantly, as if Amelia feared that reminding the woman of her race might result in her kidnapping.

Should she share her true name with the Symenestra? The question had been asked and no sooner had Amelia wondered this question was she saying “Amelia. Amelia Trisswell.” She proffered her hand to shake, accompanied by another of her tight, wary smiles. “What’s your name? I take it you’re here in Lhavit for a while?” She glanced briefly to the woman’s bulging, pregnant belly. Travelling in such a state would hardly be safe for mother and baby, let alone for a race as delicate as the Spider folk. “And are you a seamstress? A weaver?”
Amelia
Easily underestimated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on February 25th, 2016, 3:41 am

Drusilla marveled at the sewing machine. She listened to the women's opinion of the machine's work intently. "Amazing! Wind Reach all by hand. If cannot be made with glass, no have. Lhavit so... different. Laid back... um..easygoing too are right terms, yes?" She asked the woman while looking over the mended shirt. Indeed, this machine seemed to do a wonderful job fixing small rips and tears. Once satisfied with looking over the shirt she nodded, "Avora quality, very good. Could be high op rank Wind Reach." However Drusilla wondered if the woman understood the high praise compliment or not.

An eyebrow was raised in curiosity, "All truth? Many languages? Not only one, me?" It really wasn't a surprise if you actually thought about it, but Drusilla had so much else on her mind. A sad smile took over her face when Symenos was mentioned, "Ah as figures. To bad too... Symenos, beautiful speaking but by ugly creatures." Her tone toward her own people was harsh and bitter, it lightened as she spoke of Nari. "Good miss Nari! Many speak? I much better confidence in Nari. Never need to learned Common growing up." Drusilla thought for a tick, "P-pavi? Speak here too?" Her eyes lit up, "was learning in Wind Reach! Greetings!" She made the hand motion that meant the greeting was a happy one. Drusilla beamed, Zhol would of been proud.

"Ah-mee-lee-ah... Ahmee-leeah.. A-Amelia.... Amelia. I think I have it now..." It turned out that Amelia's surname would be what gave the Symenestra trouble. "Trwissvell, eh no. Triiiiiiiissss-weeeelllll.... Triiiiiiissss-weeeellll. Tu-riss, no... I will work on it! Promise! I try hard and learn!" While she was slightly embarrassed, a new tidbit of information had been learned and that made Drusilla happy.

Drusilla stared at Amelia's hand, this never went well for her. Once they saw her long black claws... The Symenestra gave a sigh, " I-.. You...no get scared, yes? Cannot help it, my..... hands." Timidly Drusilla reached out and gently shook Amelia's hand. "I am Drusilla Aster." She quickly pulled her had away, there was no way to hide the look of unhappiness Drusilla gave her claws. "Here to raise twins. Father is human. Thought here better for them not Wind Reach... Forget people see me and think... I am monster. But have no choice what I was born. Cannot change and be human...."

Drusilla nodded, "Start school when four. Kalinor have many schools a common, dancing, acting, and sewing. I go to Weft and Warp, school of weaving and sewing. Worked hard Wind Reach people there respect me. Had friends like family. Miss them much."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Amelia on February 28th, 2016, 10:50 am

“Easy-going is the correct term, yes.” Amelia said patiently as a genuine, albeit timid, smile flickered over her lips. There was a certain smugness to be felt when hearing a newcomer swoon over Lhavit, be it at the city’s architectural beauty or the gentle way of living. Amelia felt that the compliments given to her home were somehow a reflection of her: yes, living the Lhavitian lifestyle really does make you look this good!

She listened intently as the Symenestra fumbled yet again over the common tongue, but something the other woman said surprised Amelia. “You dislike your people?” She asked, unable to conceal the disbelief in her voice. Her green eyes darted quickly back to the sewing machine as she considered whether or not she had judged the woman wrongly. Was it possible that not all Symenestra were women-snatchers? Again Amelia’s gaze danced to the white-haired woman’s pregnant stomach. Presuming that she really was with child, and had not stuffed her clothes with a pillow to give the same effect, it would seem that this Symenestra at least, did not pose an immediate thread to Amelia.

This thought made her relax, and when she turned back to face her companion, Amelia made an effort to be all the more welcoming. “I little talk Nari.” She said in the language of the Inarta, her accent horrible and pronunciation warped. It had been a fair while since she’d last had a language lesson, and even then she had hardly been the academic type. “You live Wind Reach before come here?” Abruptly Amelia sighed, well aware of how clumsy her Nari must sound. Speaking in a foreign language made her feel vulnerable, and for once this was not just because of who – or what - she was speaking to. It was easy for Amelia to say the wrong thing, to portray herself as the clueless blonde who danced through life wearing fabulous dresses.

Even if one part of that statement was true, she didn’t like to admit it.

“Nice meet you, Drusilla.” She said curtly and still in Nari, grimacing minutely as she felt the Symenestra’s claws against her skin. Such a strange race, she wondered absently, beautiful but delicate and dangerous. Certainly those claws made her feel uneasy, but having decided that Drusilla was safe, Amelia tried to distract her thoughts. She felt a twinge of pity for the woman as she acknowledged how her people were perceived by others. Monsters was exactly the word Amelia had always dubbed the Symenestra with, oblivious to her own ignorance.

“I don’t know how to weave.” She admitted glumly, switching back to her more familiar common. “I tend to work with the material after it’s been made, to design and make clothes.” The mentioning of fashion design made Amelia smile; she was fortunate enough to work in the field she adored, and little else gave her the same satisfaction that designing and making a garment did. And, suddenly, her green eyes glittered with excitement and opportunity. “If you need clothes for yourself or your children, please let me know.” Maternity and infant wear would be new ground for Amelia to break, but she was always up for a fashionable challenge. “You’ll have the most stylish babies in the city.”
Amelia
Easily underestimated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Drusilla on March 8th, 2016, 3:40 am

Drusilla's face darkened, "They... disgust and anger me. Cowards! If Symenestra have own babies venom resistance will build. Take generations but will happen. My mother carry me and she die. I kill her at birth. She was brave." Drusilla looked away debating whether she should disclose anymore of her story. She sighed, " I grow up without real mother, father remarried woman who hated me. She... beat me. Scars on back prove it. I stay after school, go school early. Focus on learning. She take surrogate, I have brother, she take another.... She Inarta, most.... beautiful I ever see. Would visit her, bring food. She... nice to me. Teach Nari. I wonder maybe this what a mother like. She have twins and die..."

Drusilla clenched her hands into fists, "You know what they do? Throw her like trash! Not put in temple, tossed out! Give her life for us, yet just trash to Symenestra! How you say, 'last straw'? I run away twelve follow eagles and hunter camps. Live rest of life Wind Reach, until now. Kalinor think I dead. Father think I dead. I always wish... I human." A faraway look was in her eyes.

"If ever meet male Symenestra who want to take. Threaten him with you. Not want you hurt. Hold own dagger to neck. He try to talk you down and get close. When close might have armor on chest, so kick him leg as hard as can. Shatter leg can't run. You run, get help."

That all changed at hearing the language of the birds, her eyes sparkled happily. "Nari! Oh, how I've missed it. Yes, Wind Reach will always be my home. But for now my children and I must call Lhavit home." Her own Nari was much lower than the Inarta's songbird tones. "The pleasure is mine, Amelia!" She had more of a mourning dove coo.

"I can teach. Weaving not hard. Also can teach how to tell best Kalinor Silk just by touch. Did repairs in Wind Reach in spare time worked on dresses for high class women. Lhavit fashion much different from home." Drusilla gave a giggle. "Hope for a girl make little dresses. Um, I ask you for help? Spring come, babies born, Amelia can help me find dress look good on me? Like the flowy cloth on Lhavit dresses."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Amelia on March 8th, 2016, 7:32 pm

The spider’s story was, by far, more tragic and dramatic than anything Amelia had ever heard before, or indeed experienced herself. Her bottom jaw dropped and the blonde let out more than one tiny gasp as she listened intently to the white-haired woman’s tale. A lover of gossip, even Amelia found herself pitying the Symenestra. This was not a story to retell to her friends over hot drinks or cocktails, but something for Amelia to take home, to consider and mull over in times when she felt her own life was a struggle.

“I’m… I’m sorry.” She said eventually, her words seeming timid and pathetic in comparison to Drusilla’s life. Amelia knew she was lucky – even if she acted like she didn’t, she did appreciate her life – but never before had she heard a tale so sad, so heart-breaking.

And how could she help this poor, pregnant woman who had experienced pain like Amelia could only imagine? For a tick she was at a loss, wondering how best to make herself useful. In an uncharacteristic moment of selfless, she reached out and touched the Symenestra’s arm gently. “Lhavit is safe. Lhavit may not home now, but will be.” She said carefully in yet more fractured Nari.

Eventually, as their conversation returned back to fashion, the seamstress clapped her hands together. “Yes!” She said eagerly, still in Nari to accommodate the newcomer before her. “Chiffon is light, flowing.” She was on her feet in an instance, dancing away from Druisilla and to the opposite side of the store. Eventually she returned, a swath of almost transparent lilac material in her hands. “See?” The material was held out for Druisilla to inspect, “Suits eyes. Can sew…” Her hands grappled at the air, searching for the words in Common and translating them clumsily to Nari, “…Cotton on under. Then this on top layer. Will be light, floaty and pretty. Can make dress, top, anything.”

It always amazed Amelia how quickly discussion fashion and style could brighten her mood. Though she was not be sure that the same could be said for the pregnant Drusilla, she at least hoped that a trickle of her excitement would rub off on her companion. “Fashion make all better. I promise.”
Amelia
Easily underestimated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next