PM to join [Rearing Stallion] Winding down, and up. (Coryn)

Alex heads to the rearing stallion. Hopeing to unwind, and end ups meeting someone he didn't expect.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Rearing Stallion] Winding down, and up. (Coryn)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 25th, 2016, 7:09 pm

35th winter 515AV

16:45PM

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

The day was partially over. Alex had been freed from his squire duties and headed towards the rearing stallion, this time of day the night was not quite hitting but not too far off of the horizon. Alex trudged through the cold and slightly snowy streets heading into the tavern with a hard chill rocking his bones as he did so. As he entered a small pool of mist almost seemed to roll off of his armour it was that cold. Sighing and basking in the warmth of the tavern the whole place seemed to quiet a little upon seeing a knight walking but then seeing it was only Alex they went right back to what they were up to. The band in the corner of the tavern began to play again. Soft music with a jovial tone too It. Alex smirked a little finding one of the only open seats at the bar itself and pulling a miza from his personal stash and placing it on the counter he looked at their drinks list.

His mind clouded with forms and practices of sword strikes and the simple mechanics of how to ride a hose without falling ass over teakettle. He simply sighed and glanced around Kevith was not there possibly outback and dealing with opening up another cask or two of ales and beers. Alex sighed a little but upon looking around noticed another person was behind the counter. A younger looking woman, pale blonde hair and a soft smile. Inviting yet strangely foreboding. Giving a small wave of his hand he hoped to beckon her over partially to place an order partially to talk. As he did so Kevith appeared from the darkness behind the bar with a smile on his face and started to serve the other patrons whilst taking certain orders.

“Excuse me.” Alex now spoke out loud his soft voice barely carrying over the din of the tavern hoping to be heard against the clamour of cups songs drunken slurs and other such distracting noise. Even if he wasn’t seen by anyone, he wasn’t really going to move until he was, he was enjoying the warmth of the fire and he needed a drink to unwind from his day of being beaten and battered.
Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Coryn on January 25th, 2016, 8:40 pm

The day was not yet over, and so whilst she worked, Coryn did so in her mortal form. Fair skin, pale blonde hair and eyes that seemed to contain the Suvan itself characterised the blonde. As she paced behind the bar, a tiger trapped in a small cage, the Svefra did her best to look warm, welcoming. But in truth, she was dying to get out of the tavern. Some of the patrons, despite the early bell, were already slurring their words and saying inappropriate things to her. Others were sitting moodily at the bar, nursing their pints and brewing in whatever injustice had caused their foul mood. When she approached these individuals, they would growl some moody warning to her: “not tonight, love.” “Not in the mood right now.”

And you think I am? She would be desperate to say. More than once the words would take form on her lips, but die away on the tip of her tongue. This job, though ultimately skill-less, was the single most precious possession the Ethaefel had to her name. That said, things were not as easy as she had appreciated. There was a reason many of the other bartenders looked so exhausted after working for a couple of seasons. As a bartender, Coryn was equal parts counsellor, friend, enemy, teacher, parent. She had to fill several roles for several different people — and do it with a smile.

The smiling was the worse part, but a close second was the false sympathy. ‘Oh, you found your girlfriend with another man? Poor dear.’ ‘What? You lost how much on a bet tonight? Have a drink on me.’ Really all she wanted to say was: ‘get over it’ and ‘serves you right’, but customer service stopped her blunt honesty. These men and women thought they had problems - how deluded they were.

With the reappearance of Kevith, Coryn was free from her behind-the-bar prison and began to stalk through the inn. She collected two tankards, grimacing as her fingers brushed the sticky excess alcohol on the lip of the glasses. After dumping them at the bar, Coryn continued on her advance of the Rearing Stallion. She came by the fire and briefly appreciated its warmth - ever since her falling, she had been so cold. In order to afford a little longer by the fire, she spoke to her customer sitting beside the flames. “Need anything?”
Coryn
has a hard time saying no.

Words: 80458
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2016, 10:54 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 25th, 2016, 9:04 pm

16:50PM

In the wait Alex had found himself lost within the fires. Gazing into the mystical brightness he found a little warmth. Bot of the heat which was restoring the life to his frigid bones but instead a warmth of feeling like he’d picked the right pace to unwind. A small sigh of contentment escaped him as he lifted the small sigil of Priskil in his hand again saying a small silent prayer to her. Thanking her again for the ability to push through another day. And then he heard a voice calling out from the side of him. Asking if he needed anything. Soft. If a small agitated edge to it. Not to be worried too much given the situation of the patrons within the bar. He twisted to see the blonde haired woman from before small smile permanently etched into her face.

“Sorry to bother.” He looked at her with an honest sincerity. His voice still soft and light against the din of the bar. His natural tone and no airs put on. It was just his nature to speak softly. “I was just wondering if I could get a mug of ale nothing fancy. It’s just been a long day as usual.” A small smile, warming and welcoming. Alex wasn’t a man of malice nor one to let the wears of life drag him down too much. He tilted his head slightly looking at the woman before him. He hadn’t seen her before. Maybe he’d just not been lucky enough to catch her on shift before. “Mind if I ask your name? I haven’t seen you before.” Only then did he realize he was still hanging onto the sigil and let it and the loop of them fall from his hands. A small clank of wood on metal echoed.

Listening to the crowd of patrons at the bar. Alex could almost hear some arguments beginning to erupt but so long as they didn’t escalate he wouldn’t involve himself. If they did escalate he’d drag the two offenders to the tank himself. Sighing slightly he looked her straight in the eyes.
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Coryn on January 26th, 2016, 11:57 am

"It's not a bother." she replied in a rehearsed, easy-breezy voice that Coryn often used with the tavern patrons. A smile and sweet tone could go far in an establishment such as this, but even her enthusiasm for potential tips waned after a few bells of working. And now, nearing the conclusion of her shift, it was all Coryn could do to make the time go faster. It always marvelled the Svefra how those final two or so bells seemed to stretch much further than the first couple. It was Tanroa's form of punishment, she was sure.

Striding through back to behind the bar, Coryn set about retrieving the male's drink. As she waited for the tankard to fill, she watched the other patrons; a couple were already developing a heated argument and Coryn made a mental note to keep her distance. She had little interest in her work at the best of times, but jumping in the middle of a fight was unthinkable.

Returning to the young male by the fire, she placed the tankard down and requested the payment of the 1 SM. After a small pause, wherein she inspected her quiet spoken customer. He, unlike the more raucous clientele, appeared utterly inoffensive. And this was enough for Coryn to want to loiter around for a little longer, and to break one of her more fundamental rules that she usually maintained whilst at work: she shared her name. "Coryn. My name is Coryn. And yes, I'm new."

She wondered if it was pertinent to ask her customer the same question, but in the end Coryn remained silent. If he wanted to, she would be here to listen, at the ready to play the role of friend, teacher, counsellor and whatever else he would need.
Coryn

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 26th, 2016, 12:42 pm

Alex watched the situation unfold a few words back and forth between the two males. Nothing more than words though. Alex sighed looking back to see the svefran woman returning with a mug of the ale. Moderately strong but with no hardness too it. He handed over a golden miza to her instead of just the silver that was requested. A small smile on his face as he did so half to say that he’d maybe order one or two more half to say the rest was for her to keep. And with a small pause on her end she finally revealed her name to him. Coryn. Simple and elegant. Unlike his mouthful of a name which he’d forgotten to give her first.

“I’m so sorry that was rude of me. I should have introduced myself first, my name is Alexander Faircroft, I’m a squire with the Knights.” His voice still even and soft against the din of the bar. Looking her over once again, primarily taking stock of her. A beautiful woman to behold. Though with his simple glances he almost missed her saying she was new. Catching hold of that, had she been in the city less time than him then? “So then Coryn, how are you finding the city?” A soft smile across his face as eh glanced across the room to see two of the patrons starting to heat up a little. “Excuse me a second.” He left the mug there and stepped over to the pair of them. And steeped between them.

“Lads, you’ve got two choices. Let it go and let the evening return to a nice quiet state. Or I have to drag both of you to the tank. With you both in chains and unconscious. I don't want to have too, but you wouldn't give me much choice so please its your choice. Make the smart one. Please.” His words just loud enough for the two drunken men to hear. But not anyone else. As he finished speaking though both of the men looked at each other. A flash of anger across their faces and with a stubborn grunt both sat back down. “That’s much better.” His soft tone now easier and louder. With a slight exhale he stepped back over to his seat and took a long drink of the ale.

“Always better to end things before they escalate, isn’t it?” he smiled towards her glancing over at the two who’d not only been loud but had been annoying a good portion of the tavern. He didn’t like throwing the weight of the knights about but in a situation where it would just be chaos for all involved. He made an exception.
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Coryn on January 26th, 2016, 1:33 pm

She expected him to act in much of the same way as most customers did; comment on the strangeness of her name, or perhaps how it sounded more suited to a big burly man rather than a slim little blonde. She even prepared her response; a fake chuckle and a quick exit. But no -- instead he apologised. Coryn blinked, temporarily stumped as to how to react to this most unexpected statement. Instead, she merely watched his lips move as more politely formed words came tumbling out. His name, followed by his role in the Syliras Knights.

Then he asked her a question, and once again Coryn found her reaction delayed thanks the very unexpected nature of his asking her. How was finding the city? Terrible! This place was a city entrapped by its own security. She felt claustrophobic every passing tick, and the smell! But a twisted turn of fate had resulted in Coryn being dumped here, like an unwanted orphan left at the door of a filthy orphanage. She wanted to be back with her father, in His safe and ethereal embrace.

But there was no time for her react, or indeed tell this Alexander Faircroft her honest opinion of how she was finding this city. He up and left as quickly as he had sat himself down to interrupt a brewing conflict between two half-drunk patrons. Her eyes widened slightly with surprise and appreciation at the young knight returned to his seat. If he hadn't have dealt with the drunks, no doubt the responsibility would have fallen to Coryn. Certainly none of their fellow drinkers would have stepped in -- a fight was entertainment, not trouble for them.

"Thank you." she said quietly, unsure how to convey her appreciation for his nobility. Her words were stiff with compulsive formality and politeness. She let her words hang there for a tick, before licking her lips and repeating herself, "Thank you. Very much."
Coryn

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 26th, 2016, 2:03 pm

As he sat back down he caught the puzzled expression on her face. What exactly had he done to upset her or cause her an amount of bewilderment? And then the words tumbled from her lips almost apprehensively. Gratitude. Perhaps she wasn’t entirely used to having someone on hand to deal with a situation such as that brewing. Even with her words of thanks there was an air about her something that didn’t seem truly genuine. He couldn’t put his finger on it but it was there. Lingering lightly in the aftermath of her speech. A small flash of her tongue across her lips and she repeated the sentiments. He smiled a little and began to sink into himself a little the crushing doubt he always experienced eating the small tower of confidence he’d built.

“Don’t worry about. Its better to be vigilant in the beginning before a problem happens.” He half closed his eyes and seemed to crumple a little smaller as he took another long drink. She hadn’t answered the questions he posed her but then again perhaps it was a little unnatural for someone to simply spill everything upon asking. As he drank he formed a new question to fill the gap in time. “Well, if you don’t mind me asking. How long have you been in the city?” Another simple and smooth run of his voice followed through. Unsure of really how to carry on. He let a small sigh out into his ale and looked from her face into the murky depths of the mug.

“So…What brings you to hover around me? I would have thought that a lovely lady like yourself would be more enamoured with her work than talking to a simple squire.” Like a weight crushing his form his doubt seemed to make him grow ever smaller and tinier. Despite being a fairly tall person he felt pretty small in his current circumstances. Even with the warmth of the fire towards his back.
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Coryn on January 27th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Though Coryn agreed with Alexander’s sentiment, she couldn’t help but consider how much easier it was for him to be vigilant about such issues. Everything was still painfully new for her, so bright it hurt her eyes as if she had been hiding in a cave for several years and only recently stepped back into the sunlight. Though she too could spot a brewing confrontation, just how she was meant to stop it was beyond her.

"I haven’t been here long." She said in a delayed and quiet reply to his question. Would she tell him the truth, that she fell from the skies during the nighttime late last season and was now desperately trying to crawl her way back up? No: her decision was immediate, like a knee-jerk reaction. Other patrons had asked her the same question and she had never shared the honest, full truth with them before. And though Alexander seemed far more polite and earnest than most of the other lost souls in the tavern, Coryn was not yet willing to break down that barrier. Just not yet.

What he said next made the Svefra inhale sharply and clench her jaw. That casual compliment of a lovely lady like yourself was enough to make the hairs on the back of her neck stand up in alarm. There it was, that step into the realm of over-familiarity, if not flirtatiousness. She stammered slightly, seeming embarrassed and shy but in truth being wary and anxious over what he had said. "The fire." Coryn replied bluntly and with a quick sideways glance to the flames behind Alexander. Then, as if to soften the blow from her chilly explanation, "though if I’m honest, I hate my work. It’s sticky and messy and makes me sweat." Her nose crinkled in disgust as she considered the many problems with her employment. It was just another dimension of humanity that seemed to weigh her down, crushing her.

And then Coryn did something unexpected, something that would later make her grimace and curl her toes as if she what she had done had done something horrifically embarassment. She laughed. It was all so ridiculous! Her job, her patrons, the idea of sitting in a tavern all day long and drinking cheap ale. Coryn had tried that ale - it was foul!
Coryn

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 27th, 2016, 8:11 pm

He sipped the ale again, it was enough to know to him that within a world of turmoil and consistent pain. If only physical he at least had somewhere stable to unwind. Seemingly lost in thought almost as she responded he snapped back to reality. She hadn’t been here long? Perhaps she had been here for less time than him. “Well nice to know the city’s getting a little more interesting.” He smiled earnestly before, shrinking down a bit further. Though something happened as he’d mentioned what she was doing here talking to him as she almost seemed to recoil from his words. Not sure if through embarrassment or something else he backtracked a little almost falling over his own words. The bottomless pit of self-doubt now threatening to swallow him.

“Sorry, did I over step. I’m not really sure what to say in certain situations.” Though as he finished she formed her answer, and it wasn’t as much him bringing her over there as it was the warmth of the fire. As she spoke another small part of his self confidence fell down the black pit. Her words following weren’t much of a balm to soothe the blow if she intended them that way. She hated her work and this was a way to stay mostly out of the way. And then almost out of the blue she laughed. For the first time he’d heard her tonight it seemed genuine, an actual release of laughter. Perhaps she needed to do so. Alex smiled a little again and looked back up from the ale, the stark almost verdant jade green of his eyes now meeting her blue ones in a lock.

“It’s a shame. The first time I’ve actually heard you laugh since I walked in and it’s over you saying you dislike your job. Perhaps you need to take some time off?” He sighed a little being the first one to break the shared eye contact. “At least when you need a day away from your work you can take it.” He wasn’t exactly complaining but the day as usual beat him down. “Sorry must get boring having to deal with this many moapy and boring people, eh?”
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Coryn on January 29th, 2016, 6:29 pm

That makes the both of us, Coryn pondered silently as her companion apologised for his social skills which, frankly, were still miles better than her own. Still, she couldn’t help but wonder why he had apologised, and what was his excuse might be. For a tick she considered that he was the same as her, and had also been dumped into the sea from his ethereal home. A spark of hope swirled around her mind, but she extinguished it bitterly like a lonely candle. No, surely they would have recognised each other’s sense of heartbreak and desperation if that had been the case.

Still, the idea was quelled but not altogether nipped in the bud, and Coryn found herself growing more and more interested in the male.

“Oh, I finish soon.” She said dismissively, but those final two bells seemed never-ending. But then again, it was perhaps closer to one and a half bells by now. And then Leth would rise, and with him Coryn would take her nighttime form. The Svefra touched her temples gently, as if trying to feel whether the horns that would be there that evening were already starting to erupt out of her pale skin. Of course they weren’t, and she found herself feeling peculiarly thankful. “Boring isn’t the right word.” Soul-destorying felt more accurate, but Coryn refrained from such dramatic flair.

“How long have you been in the city for?” Coryn asked eventually, perching on the edge of the chair that was next to Alexander’s. She leant forward, half to warm her face on the fire but to also to listen keenly to his reply. She needed some advice on how to survive within this walled city, and she certainly trusted his advise over any of her more drunk patrons. Glancing around to the more raucous men and women, Coryn added, “I don’t know how anyone copes here. I miss…” She stopped herself short. There was no way for her describe where she had fallen from, at least not in the language Alexander would understand. So instead, she went for the next best thing, her second favourite home from her past: “… the sea. It’s so open and here is so closed.”
Coryn

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next