Completed Grin and Bear It

Kiva plays the role of a dentist for ulterior motives.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

Grin and Bear It

Postby Kiva on July 3rd, 2015, 4:54 am

10th of Fall, 509 A.V
Falyndar Jungle

For days it had been raining, the jungle filling with any and every drop of water Makutsi bestowed upon them, the ground so soggy, it had no way to absorb the liquid. And thus, it began to flood in Falyndar. The waters did not rise steadily, nor did it give much time for the clan to prepare. As one, The Crimson Sun moved to higher grounds, afraid even the waters would reach their homes. They gathered rations, fruit and dried meat, their most beloved possessions, their weapons, and began to march. Taloba was their final relief destination, but the thick mud and unrelenting downpour slowed the clan's movement. Kiva, a young woman and freshly marked by Myri at the age of sixteen had her pack filled to the brim with everything she thought useful. The poor bag was nearly bursting at the seams, heavy and burdensome in the humid, wet, and heavy weather. Marching beside her was her mother, straight faced and determined, with a sack of her own. The older Myrian glanced at the girl, "Tired already?"

Kiva shook her head, although her legs were already beginning to burn, and her breathing had become more laborious. Her bag had added probably fifty more pounds to her lithe frame, making her resist grunting in exertion.

"A good way to build muscle, if anything. Keep your head up. No use in showing weakness." Rakia patted her daughter on the shoulder, trudging past her slightly to lead. Other clan members listened in, using the woman's words as motivation themselves. The mud made sucking sounds with every footstep, and more than once did Kiva nearly slip from wet leaves.

Her body ached. 'Makutsi, why? Is this a joke? A punishment?' Even Kiva's prayer was thought between heavy breathing, and Kiva cursed herself for packing so many things.

'The waters may not even reach our homes,' her mother had warned, 'But it is best to be prepared in Taloba, than stranded out here.' The words had worried Kiva, who apparently decided putting everything she owned upon her back was a good idea. And with that, they went with everyone else and began their temporary migration. That is, if Makutsi stopped this rainfall. At the moment, it didn't feel like it would ever slow.

Kiva reached out, grabbing a branch and using it as leverage to pull herself forward. The act gave a little ease to her legs, which were handling the majority of her mistake. Her shoulders were also sore, her muscles protesting this strange and prolonged stress. 'Yes,' Kiva thought bitterly, 'If I can still move at the end of this, I will have the strength of ten men.'

The heavy rainfall showered over them, the canopy giving little help in deterring it. Around her, majority of the clan was gritting their teeth and keeping their head low. Kiva slipped, smacking her knee into a gnarled root when she landed. Gasping, the young woman nearly gave a sound of pain, but Rakia whipped around so fast, it silenced her. She stared, waiting for her daughter to stand. Kiva bit her lip to handle the pain and with shaky legs did as expected. Her mother wasn't happy until she was walking, and she trudged along.

No complaining allowed.

At least, not for the fresh youth. An older woman towards the front of the group found it the perfect time to voice her irritations, "By Myri! This rain is making my bones hurt! My teeth are singing!" She went mostly ignored, but continued on anyway, "I can't think straight with all this pain!"

A different female, one that had been trudging along Kiva leaned towards her friend conspiratorially, "Old Mako. Lying for attention."

"Always." the friend replied, chuckling.

Mako the Liar? Kiva tried to move closer to get more information, interested. Were they really so quick to spurn their elder? Kiva tried to slow her heavy breathing so she could hear better. The conversation had ended there, and they seemed to notice her increasing proximity. She began to retreat, knowing her eavesdropping was now futile.

Mako's grumbling was still fading in and out over the rainfall, and Kiva took a deep breath and used a burst of energy to jog to the front of the group alongside the old woman. The pack shifted its weight, nearly sending her into the mud again, but Kiva tried to steady her footing and regain balance.

The Myrian elder gave Kiva a small glare, surprisingly not tired despite her old age. She moved with more ease than Kiva, and looked the young woman up and down, "Having trouble, girl?" Mako smiled spitefully, "You're not the only one."
★★★
Last edited by Kiva on December 14th, 2015, 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Grin and Bear It

Postby Kiva on July 22nd, 2015, 4:59 pm

Kiva was impressed by the woman's vitality, but wondered if it matched what she was saying, "You say your teeth are hurting you?" Kiva tried to catch a glimpse into the elder's mouth, but didn't want to blow her chances of getting an answer. In front of her was a rather deep puddle that Kiva had to step over, the extending of her leg causing her to suck in a deep breath and her muscles begged for a rest. Kiva picked up her pace with wobbly steps, looking over at the old woman who was laughing at her.

"You need to steel yourself, child. Before everyone else makes fun of you for having soft bones." 'Soft bones?' Kiva frowned. She didn't have soft bones! But, even if Mako was lying, she couldn't quite argue. She wasn't exactly proving to be the most sturdy of the group. As she tried to think of a retort, a slippery root that she tried to push off of threw her off balance and a hand shot out, grabbing her by the arm and jerking her back on both feet.

"Goodness, girl! I could challenge you and whip you seven ways to Taloba. How did you get Myri to mark you? Tsk!" Mako shook her head, finally answering her question, only raising her voice so that everyone could hear her again, "My teeth are hurting me. Those girls in the back should learn to mind their elders, thinking I can't hear them!"

'Ha.' Kiva glanced backwards, noticing the two gossipers staring forward with wide eyes. "They think I'm lying," Mako scoffed, shaking her head and shifting the weight on her back, "Most do, I know that. I'm old, not deaf. I do not lie, like they say. I tell the truth, they just don't want to face it."

Suddenly the group stopped, and Kiva thanked the heavens, convinced she couldn't keep moving to higher ground forever. Her legs burned like fire and ached. All she wanted to do was sink to her knees.

Finally, a group of women called out, claiming that this would be where they would set up camp. "Be quick," they ordered. The rain wasn't likely to stop for the night, and they needed to get shelter up and rest, or they would only keep slowing and the floods would reach them. "We will recover, but when we say go, we will not stop again."

Mako looked over at Kiva and grinned, "Lucky you, soft bones. Your skinny legs wont break just yet." She poked the youth's arm, moving under a tree to start pulling out the supplies for building a tent. Right before she left, Kiva saw the woman's mouth. A few teeth were missing, but others were dark. They needed to be removed, and Kiva knew that she wasn't lying after all.

"I can help you," Kiva rushed, slinging her bag off and stumbling from the change in weight. "If we're camping, I can pull the teeth for you."

Throwing a rope over a tree limb so that she could raise the tent, Mako eyed the younger girl. Kiva forced herself to help, grabbing it when it flew over branch and yanking downward so that the waterproof skin would begin to raise. The rain continued to pour, dribbling down her face.

"And what do you want in exchange?"

The question caught Kiva off guard, but was easily answered. She worried about what she would think, "The teeth I pull," she said, watching Mako's expression. The old woman looked surprised, but not upset. It was a strange request, and Kiva was afraid she hadn't asked enough. The teeth... well, when she got better at malediction.. she could use... "And some hair.... And... a bikka."

"You don't know how to barter, do you? What are you good at? Pretty face, I suppose," Mako ran a hand over her chin, "Very well, not having this pain will be worth it. I'd pull them myself, but I can't reach them. Help me set this up and get comfortable and I'll let you fool around. I bet you don't have the faintest idea what you're doing."
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Grin and Bear It

Postby Kiva on July 28th, 2015, 5:43 pm

"Tie the knot tighter. There. Loop under. Under, girl!"

Clumsily, Kiva tied a rope so that Mako's tent would be hoisted high, but the falling of rain water into her eyes and the cool chill of being wet made it hard for her to focus. Mako continued to instruct her brusquely, but even with her insults, Kiva paid attention to her chosen words. She called her clumsy, incompetent with simple survival skills, and just a pretty face. As much as Kiva wanted to argue these things, letting the old woman continue her rantings made her note that Mako did say the truth. She just said things in a way that weren't always what you wanted to hear. Kiva gritted her teeth, wiping water from her brow and kept her head low. Finally, the rope secured and she tried not to smile too big. Mako on the other hand, went immediately into the tent to sit down, leaving Kiva to stumble in after while the rest of their clan continued to set up their own shelter.

Scooting over, Mako looked at Kiva with low eyes, shoving her own pack towards her, "I have pliers and supplies to make a fire. There should be dry tinder in a glass jar. Get a fire started."

Kiva nodded, wringing out her hair. She slowly unclasped the pack's ties and began rummaging through it. It took a few tries, and Kiva pulled out a few things. Some dried jerky, a salve of some sort, a few metal instruments that Kiva didn't recognize, and finally a pair of homemade pliers that looked like a sort of torture device. They were weighty in her hand and Kiva turned them over once or twice, squinting in the dim lighting.

She set them aside while Mako watched closely and located the flint and steel and tinder. The ground was damp, but had been spared too much abuse thanks to the tree's rich canopy. Kiva, shivering, took out the the tinder and laid it down, positioning the tools in her hand. And with a bit of desperation, began to hit to two together, hoping for a spark. 'Nothing.'

Mako sighed, giving Kiva an extra boost of determination. She tried to spark something again. 'Nothing...' She tried again, and again. Mako looked like she was running out of patience, and with a sharp slice, the stone collided and a small flash of light that quickly died caught her attention. Kiva, surprised, tried to replicate her last action. Once... Twice... Another spark flew and then sizzled out when coming in contact with the wet ground. Kiva tried again, growing frustrated at herself. A few more embers sparked, and the young girl shifted. With a stroke of luck and multiple attempts, one of the sparks landed on the dry tinder and burned for more than a second.

With a gasp, Kiva leaned forward and blew gently onto the budding lighting, watching it glow brighter. She continued to breath life into it, cupping her hands around the budding flame and felt a sense of accomplishment when black tendrils of smoke began to rise from the pile. The acrid smell rose into her face but Kiva continued to give it life, ignoring the burning from her eyes. And like a flash, a fire lifted up, the tiniest flame. It was then that Mako produced a few dry sticks, something to feed it so that it would grow in strength.

"You don't know much, but you're determined," Mako ran a wrinkled hand over her face, "That is something admirable, at least." She leaned back next to the fire, feeling the warmth. Outside, the heavy pour of water sounded, and the lilting of the Myrian tongue like music. It was peaceful, and a nice memory.

Mako motioned her over, "Alright. Grab the pliers. It's time."
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Grin and Bear It

Postby Kiva on July 31st, 2015, 2:28 am

Kiva sat next to the fire with the old woman's head in her lap, and the pliers balanced in her hand. Mako's long silver hair was bundled up and pushed out of the way, and Kiva wondered how much she would ask in return. Mako spoke up, pulling her from her thoughts, "The ones in the back."

Kiva nodded gravely, wondering just how she planned to do this. It should be simple enough. She had washed her hands by sticking them outside in the rain and now began slipping her fingers into her patient's mouth. She moved Mako's lip to the side, feeling the inside of her cheek and then began lightly tapping the remaining teeth. For her age, Mako had a surprising number, but some were dark with age and rot and needed to be removed. When Kiva's finger pressed against the first one, Mako smacked her in the leg and Kiva mumbled an apology under her breath.

"Okay, stay still," Kiva breathed, opening the pliers in her hand and trying to keep a steady hand. As careful as she could, Kiva placed the tooth in the plier's grip and squeezed then tight around Mako's tooth, causing the old woman to tense.

'Calm down, Kiva. Quick. One... Two... "Three!" Kiva pressed her hand around the old woman's forehead and pulled harshly with the other, the sucking of release and the tiny snapping of root breaking free. Mako made a pained sound, but took breaths and Kiva's wide eyes looked over to see her first tooth pulling a success.
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Grin and Bear It

Postby Kiva on November 19th, 2015, 10:06 pm

Blood began to build up in the old woman's mouth, and she turned her head to the side to spit it to the ground. Kiva stood there awkwardly, looking around for something she could use to help. Going back into the bag, she rummaged some more and found an old cloth. She reached out with it, pressing it against Mako's mouth. Wrinkled hands reached up and took it from her, maneuvering it a bit better, and the two sat in silence watching each other.

"Are you well?" Kiva asked after a moment, staring at the tooth that had once been in her mouth. She reached out and held it between her fingers, wiping the residue of blood and root off on her wet pants. Mako took another breath.

"I'm fine. It's good you didn't hesitate. But we're not done yet. There are two more in the back."

Kiva nodded, flexing her hand and grabbing the pliers. She tucked the first of Mako's teeth into her pocket, approaching the old woman. It took a while for the bleeding to stop, and when she removed the towel, Kiva could see a slight sheen where the blood had coated her tongue. Using her finger, she reached in and lightly pressed on another tooth. It was darker than the others around the gums, and when Mako grunted, Kiva knew it was the right one.

"Okay." she whispered, putting the pliers back in the old woman's mouth. She had to re-position herself, moving from one side of Mako to the other. It took her a tick, but then Kiva's pliers were closing around the next tooth. She felt how solid her grip was, and then took a deep breath. A good part of her wondered if she was more nervous than Mako.
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Grin and Bear It

Postby Kiva on December 14th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Kiva put her hand back on Mako's forehead and looked the old woman in the eye. She nodded and in a mutual understanding, she pulled hard. There was a resistance, and the old woman groaned in agony, but a sharp sucking sound snapped and the tooth released. Mako struggled to sit up, and Kiva rushed to free her hands and grab another towel to hold to her new wound.

After a few ticks of fussing over the Myrian, Mako waved her away, taking the towel in her own hands, "You were slower on that one," she grumbled, giving a glare.

"I thought I felt the grip slipping." Kiva apologized, "Did I hurt you?"

Mako gave a muffled scoff, pulling the cloth away and spitting out a glob of saliva and blood, "I've been stabbed, girl. This is little pain in comparison." The rush of rain outside consumed them, and they sat listening to it. Kiva moved quietly, collecting the new tooth and wiping the blood off. She plucked off a piece of root, and looked at the color. It looked like it had been going bad, no doubt causing pain. 'Perhaps with some paint, I could create jewelry with the molars... carving them, when I understand malediction more.' But the first step, and often the most challenging, was gathering supplies with which she could work with. Hopefully her planning would prove fruitful.

At some point, while deep in thought, Mako had grabbed a knife and grabbed a small braid of silver hair and sawed it off, tossing it into the girl's chest. Kiva nearly missed it, but caught it in time, blinking at it. She nodded, and went to tuck it safely into her pack. Next would be the bikka. Kiva walked over to Mako, just as the old woman was holding it up.

The small coin felt light in her hand, and the younger Myrian nodded deeply, thankful. "Thank you, Mako." Kiva took a few steps back, towards the opening of the tent. The old woman watched her carefully, eyes analyzing her. She held up a hand.

"For helping your elder, I shall tell you a secret." Mako stared at the bloody cloth in her hand for a moment, before scoffing, "Your mother will not be pleased, but what will she do?"

Kiva was confused. Mako knew her mother?

"Your father still lives," the old woman let the information sink in.

Kiva immediately had questions, "Did she love him?"

For so long had she head rumors, whispers, handled her mother's avoidance of the matter. There was someone who knew something.. and was willing to share. Not once did Kiva question Mako's honesty. It felt real.

Mako nodded slowly. "Listen to me, Kiva of The Crimson Sun. Listen carefully. There are many of us that have been around for a long time. Longer even than that prideful mother of yours. She would have us not say anything, but what is a silent agreement to a daughter who has rightfully earned to know her lineage? You are no longer a child. Yes, she loved your father, and yes he still lives. I speak truth. But if you wish to know why, you need to ask them."

Awe. Excitement. Fear, "Who is he?"

"I will speak no more on the matter."

"Mako, please."

"Go on, girl. Join your mother in your tent. I have dealt with enough for now. My mouth throbs and all I taste is blood. Let me rest. I need to conserve my strength for the hike tomorrow." Mako stared at her steadily, and the younger woman stared back, so desperate to challenge her.

But she had done a great deal for her, just sharing this when no one else had ever said a word. Kiva took a deep breath and sighed. She grabbed her large pack and with one more glance back, she disappeared back into the rain, feeling as if the falling water was washing away old secrets.

She would get answers... eventually.
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Grin and Bear It

Postby Traverse on February 3rd, 2016, 6:34 pm

Kiva

Skill XP Earned
Bartering 1 XP
Dentistry 2 XP
Endurance 2 XP
Interrogation 1 XP
Land Navigation 1 XP
Malediction 1 XP
Medicine 1 XP
Observation 3 XP
Planning 1 XP
Running 1 XP
Socialization 3 XP
Wilderness Survival 1 XP

Lores Earned
Mako the Liar: Simply Tells the Harsh Truth
Lighting a Fire in the Rain
Pulling out Bad Teeth with Pliers
Gathering Items for Future Malediction
Learning The Slightest Bit About Kiva's Father: He's Alive

Inventory:

+ 2 Partially Rotted Teeth
+ 1 Bikka
+ 1 Lock of Mako's Hair

Additional Notes :
So let me know if you're supposed to have three teeth not two, I was so confused and re-read the pulling a couple of times, because Mako says there are two to go after Kiva pulls the first, but I only seemed to find one being pulled after that, and I feel like I misread something haha.

Anyway the thread was quite nice, I really like the idea of clans shifting to Taloba for the monsoon season based on flooding, never thought of it that way, but it makes a lot of sense. Also this is just something I noticed, in no way a big deal, but in the beginning of the thread, Kiva thinks to herself about lifting her goods and having the strength "of ten men" if she continues carrying her supplies. We automatically generally think 'man' when we think of strength, but in Myrian terms, Women are stronger physically than men, just food for thought!

Oh and I did give a Malediction point since she was planning all of this for future malediction!

Yes, I Bite.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)