Cover Me

Kiva does her best at leading a teammate in a game.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Taloba, home to the Myrians, is the thriving core of Falyndar. Inhabited by a fierce and savage tribe where blood sacrifices are normal and a way of life, they are untamed and proud of it. Warlike, and with their numbers growing, the Myrians are set on reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. [Lore]

Cover Me

Postby Kiva on August 3rd, 2015, 3:13 am

10th of Fall, 509 A.V
“Pass the ball! Pass the ball!”

Red faced and sweating, Kiva ran down the court beside a member of the opposite team, frustrated at their current loss. As the girl beside her jogged, Kiva slammed her body into her opponent, and she was returned the favor. Her body ached from the tackles and heavy ball being hit by various parts of her body (or at least the ones allowed in the rules), but she kept her eyes on her teammate who struggled to keep the handball away from the enemy. Kiva jumped in front of the girl she had been squabbling with, and weaved her way around the others, waving her hands.

“Stay focused!” Kiva ordered, still trying to get close enough to give her assistance and grunted when the ball pass failed miserably. The rubber ball bounced off another girl’s hip and was intercepted before it could reach her. Kiva changed her course, but it didn’t matter. She watched helplessly as the other team tackled and bruised her teammates, shooting another confident goal.

Kiva cursed under her breath, kicking dirt in frustration, but stopped when she saw the girl who had made the failed run a hand over her face and clearly blame herself. Calling a time out, Kiva ran over to her shamed teammate and slapped her on the back lightly to catch her attention.

“Keep your head up. They’re playing hard, we just have to play harder,” Kiva wiped her brow with the back of her hand and retightened her hair tie, “You play good defense, but you’re not paying attention when you have the ball. Look at your team.”

“I do,” the girl insisted, “I’m second guessing myself,” she shook her head, heaving a sigh and going to take a drink of water. Kiva followed after her, trying to think of something that would boost her spirits.

“You get the ball, I’ll be there,” It was a bold promise, one that made the other girl laugh softly.

“Are you serious?”

“Like the dead.” Kiva’s expression was straight, a gambler’s design. She nodded reassuringly, “If you can get the ball to me, I’ll do what I can. I’ll defend you if you don’t. I’ll be your partner until you can get comfortable. You’ll always know you’ll have someone watching your back. Just relax.”

This made the girl laugh, “I don’t need your focus,” Despite her words, she sighed and nodded to herself, “Why are you doing this?”

The question caught her off guard. What was her conviction? A flash of memory flickered in her mind, “I… I had someone encourage me once.” ‘Nika…’ A pang of sadness and a longing of nostalgia. It took her back the first day she had ever played handball. How fun everyone had… How nice she was treated… How Nika instructed her, blocked her, allowed her to try and fail. His sweet, boyish smile made Kiva smile softly at the thought. “Well? Are you interested?”

For a long moment the other female didn’t answer, finally agreeing when the time out was coming to a close, “Yes. I will try it. Thank you.”

★★★
Last edited by Kiva on December 17th, 2015, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Cover Me

Postby Kiva on August 7th, 2015, 3:39 pm

As the recession came to an end, Kiva followed the woman whose name was Koa, and hardened her face. She growled at the enemy as they walked past in an attempt to intimidate, but no one seemed fazed. One male chuckled and Kiva laughed good naturedly at her attempt. It was ridiculous, she was not intimidating, but there was no use in trying. She straightened her face and made a chopping motion towards her loincloth, a rather vulgar expression in Myrian society.

The game resumed in the scorching sun, with tan and black bodies as they ran. Kiva’s own was covered in her traditional loincloth and white shirt. She wore no protection, and not many others did either. This wasn’t an official game, just a few clans clashing for fun on the ball court. But to Kiva, that didn’t make it any less serious.

There was a competitiveness in her eyes and she races after her new partner, watching carefully like a hawk on her prey. Sweat rolled down her face and back, glistening in the Taloban heat. There was little wind to give relief, the day as brutal as her determination. Almost instantly the ball was put into play with the other team gaining control. Kiva held back, staying close to Koa when they made their way towards the hoop. Dirt stirred and spun into the dry air, creating a cloud in which Myrians slammed into one another and exchanged spitting curses.

"Stay focused."

Koa went to try to steal the ball when it bounced off another girl’s chest and Kiva saw a shorter man covered in tattoos about to intercept her. Pushing herself and keeping her promise, Kiva sped up before he could reach Koa and she launched herself at him, shooting her foot outwards and towards his moving legs. It happened in slow motion, with her large frame skidding across the ground and colliding with a jumble of limbs. Tattoos and clear skin began entangled, with his stocky frame falling full force onto her body. The impact knocked Kiva clean out of breath, stopping her from jumping up and racing off like she had originally planned to do. She tried to shove him away and pull herself up, looking over to see Koa now with the ball.

She wasn’t fulfilling her promise. She needed to be there to keep blocking for her. When the male finally moved, he pushed off her, grinding her arm into the grass. Kiva grimaced, feeling his weight and growled until he removed himself. The moment she was free, she took a deep breath and tried to make her way towards her target. Her body was sore and she tried not to limp as she jogged. Koa, in response was shoving away her competition, having stolen the ball and her eyes searched for Kiva desperately.

★★★
Last edited by Kiva on December 17th, 2015, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Cover Me

Postby Kiva on August 13th, 2015, 1:38 am

“Koa!” Kiva shouted, coming up from behind. Koa turned and with the faith like a child, knocked the ball upwards using her shin and smacked it with her hip towards the direction of her voice. Kiva ran as fast as she could and scooped the ball with her forearm, the heavy rubber stinging on contact. It was a messy hit, but it sent it soaring in the air towards the goal high above them on the wall. The ball touched the metal ring but failed to go through and fell into the range of another player on their team.

It was a close call, and Kiva struggled to stop her lungs from burning, holding her side as she wiped sweat from her brow and watched the same teammate take another shot, this time making it in. “Woooo!” Kiva clapped, pumping a fist in the air in triumph. Their first goal. Three to one. “Now we’re playing.” They still had a lot of work to do before they could be proud, but not being obliterated was a step in the right direction. Koa was grinning, a spark of faith in Kiva lighting up her eyes and she gave a respected nod towards the girl. Kiva nodded back, taking deep breaths and tried to brush back hair that had begun to stick to her face. Her skin felt slick with perspiration and she rolled her arms, feeling the soreness of the game already starting to set in.

With the ball still in play, the mood shifted. Their team’s spirits were lifted slightly and it felt like they had a shot… a chance at giving the other team a run for their money. Kiva scanned the other team, watching how their formation changed. What are you doing? Kiva wondered, worried that they had something planned, “Be careful,” Kiva ordered, moving alongside the girl who had just made the goal for their team, “They’ve shifted ranks. Stay alert. We might have to strengthen our defense.”

Surprisingly, the girl agreed, “I’ll tell the others.” Then she started to jog off, relaying the observation to the others. As a result, Kiva’s own team had started their own shift, faces hardening into understanding and adapting. Kiva sucked in a deep breath, lungs still hurting and the stitch in her side trying to slow her (and it was succeeding). She tried to get close to Koa, but soon found an elbow being shot out in the direction of her face. With barely enough time to react, Kiva turned her head and pinched her eyes closed. The blow sent her falling backwards in a brief flash of black and clutching the right side of her face in pain.

“Uuuhh” She groaned, her face pulsating from the attack. Rolling over, the sun casted a silhouette over her frame, the male with the tattoos standing over her. She could see the white of his smile, his teeth sharpened to points and he spat on the ground near Kiva’s head, about to jog off.

Fury filled her. She had tripped him, he straight up threw a ‘bow into her eye socket. Mouth twisting into an angry scowl, her face burned and she shot a leg out blindly. It made contact with the back of his knee and Kiva was surprised by how fast he fell. “Petcher!”

★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Cover Me

Postby Kiva on August 13th, 2015, 2:07 am

In a matter of ticks, Kiva and this tattooed stranger were grabbing at one another, trying to grind the other in the dirt. Kiva threw a few blind punches, some landing solidly, others just bouncing off skin slick with sweat. His hands grabbed at her roughly and she could feel the bruises that would form from his unrelenting grip. Kiva tried to get the advantage, trying to toss him off and pin him with her weight, but he twisted her arm to the side, nearly holding it behind her back. His other arm was holding up his weight, like a pillar by her head. Kiva growled, trying to break free and reached out with her mouth, biting down on his wrist till blood threatened to be drawn.

He gave out a few shouts and at this time, others from each team were running over to pull the two apart, "May Dira take you, cheater!"

"You are a shame to your clan!" Kiva's hair had come free from her ponytail and was now wild and it cascaded down her back with a ferocious beauty. Her face was flushed from the heat and the scuffle, and she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. She felt her teammates pulling her away, hovering to ensue no other fight broke out. They led her off the field, handed her a water skin and said nothing.

Kiva knew she was kicked from the game. In handball, throwing punches, tackles, slamming into one another, drawing blood... it was all allowed. But it had to be in game. Once you turned your play into a direct attack, it wasn't for tactics or competitiveness. It was breaking Myri's rule of hurting a fellow Myrian, and thus, you had to walk away. Kiva kicked the dirt out of anger, pacing like a caged tiger. That male had gotten his feelings hurt and thought he could try and show his dominance. It was a open show of disrespect and Kiva wanted to make him regret it.

Feeling as if the eyes of everyone was on her, Kiva started to turn away, only hesitating when she saw Koa. She was going to break her promise and as such, her team would likely lose. Not because she was a great player... No, Kiva knew better than that. But Koa was going to second guess her strategy, and lacked the security that Kiva had swore to provide. She had let down her team and there was nothing she could do. Not now, anyway.

"Sorry." Kiva mouthed, shrugging. She went to grab her stuff on the sidelines and started to walk away. Her muscles were sore, and she watched only briefly when the game continued. The ball flew back and forth across the field, and envy filled her stomach. Never before had she been thrown from a game thanks to another person starting a fight. It was frustrating. She should be in there... Running, yelling, defending her team. And instead she was walking away, feeling like a traitor.
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Cover Me

Postby Kiva on December 17th, 2015, 6:23 pm

The hot sun did littler to deter her anger, and she brushed back her hair from her face in vain. She would need to wash it, brush it, get it manageable. Her face throbbed and she poured warm water onto it, sealing her waterskin and throwing it to the ground a ways away. Around her were a few sparse trees, and a dirt pathway that lead deeper into Taloba. Kiva went to sit under the shade of one, crossing her legs and resting her elbows on her knees. And so the waiting began. She didn't know how long it would take for the game to be over, but she knew the male who had attacked her had stayed to at least watch. Kiva had other plans.

'How dare you hit me, Shurak. Thank the goddess I cannot kill you.' Kiva reached into her bag and pulled out her comb. It was weighty in her hand, the bone it was crafted from a thick and strong material. She held it firmly and with her other, grabbed a bundle of hair. Kiva brought the comb up and began working out the knots of her hair. With the sweat, dirt, and recent fight, there was no way she would be able to brush from the root downwards. She started at the tips, not flinching when it caught, but pulled meticulously downward. She repeated the motion, using her wrist to snag at any tangles and pull them free.

She did this, over and over, taking out her frustration on her dark locks, glaring at the direction of the field. Her fingers moved quickly, and she continued to brush, and brush, and brush. Chimes passed, and KIva felt herself growing restless. Faintly she could hear yells and cheers from the distance, and wondered bitterly how each team was doing. She could have stayed to watch, but she needed to get away - to calm down. Her anger flared up once again.

Her hair was smoothing out quicker than she thought, and time was passing slowly. Kiva closed her eyes, taking deep breaths. She needed to concentrate on something else. She needed to change her focus, so that she would be level headed when she laid her eyes on the cheater. He had to come back this way eventually, and Kiva wanted to be rational. She tried to breath naturally, calmly.

She cleared her mind, and relaxed. Another breath, then another. Inhale, exhale. She felt a tickle on her arm and her eyes snapped open, concentration broken. She sighed, spotting a mosquito on her arm and she swatted at it. This was going to be harder than she thought.

[End of Part I]
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Cover Me

Postby Traverse on February 24th, 2016, 6:31 pm

Kiva

Experience:

• Acrobatics 1
  • Endurance 3
  • Intimidation 1
  • Leadership 2
  • Meditation 1
  • Observation 2
  • Persuasion 1
  • Planning 1
  • Running 3
  • Socialization 2
  • Tactics 2
  • Unarmed Combat 2
  • Wrestling 1

Lore:

• Playing a Serious Game of Handball
  • Scoring a Goal in Handball
  • Anticipating Enemy Team Movements
  • Getting Kicked out of a Handball Game
  • Utilizing Meditation in Order to Control One's Anger

Additional Notes :
I certainly did not anticipate this decently long little solo to be that friggin intense, well done. I don't generally get into sports, but man was I bummed when Kiva had to leave the game, so obviously you did your job well when writing this. Interested for part 2!

If you have any questions, concerns, accolades, complaints, etc about your grade, drop me a PM and we can most certainly talk it out.

As always, Safe Travels!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)