Solo Pondering One's Place in the Universe

(Job Thread) Duron and Aferan discuss their place in the Universe while cleaning a horse stall at the Sanctuary

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Pondering One's Place in the Universe

Postby Duron on August 25th, 2015, 4:26 am

Time Stamp: 80th of Summer, 515AV

While the horses were out in the pasture, Duron job was to clean their stalls. It wasn't a glorious job, but he was getting paid to do it, so he wasn't going to complain out loud. However, Aferan hated the job and started grumbling about the smell. Duron ignored his dark brothers complaints about how this work was beneath him. Grabbing a pitch and broom, the akalak set his tools into the wheel barrel. When his tools were gathered, the cerulean wheeled them to a vacant stall. Opening the gate, the akalak was hit by the pungent smell animal feces. The akalak looked around for the culprit and saw a fresh pile of dung sitting on top of the hay for all to see. Carefully walking into the stall, the akalak noticed several other piles of manure in various stages of freshness. The akalak wrinkled his nose since he was in close vicinity of the fresh steamer and picked up his pitchfork. The head stable attendant told him to use it to sift through the hay for “presents” the horses decided to leave him.

Suddenly, Aferan decided to voice his opinion, For the love of Wysar, why are we shoveling shyke? If you want to get closer to mother buy a horse and do something worthy of a warrior like hunting or anything other than flinging shyke around!

Duron quickly dismissed his brother, but he said out loud, “How can buy a horse without any money, Aferan? Besides, nobody asked your opinion brother! I would like to ride on of these smelly beasts one of these days, so I figure it could be useful to learn how to take care of them...”

Aferan snorted and said simply, We will have stable hands to take care of our steed.

Duron laughed out-loud and said with sneer, “Don't you realize Aferan; we are the stable hands brother? Now shut up and let me work!”

Aferan was silent for a few chimes than he said with no emotion in his voice, Fine brother... if you want to play peasant than shovel your shyke for this konti...

Deciding to save his nose the torment, Duron stuck his pitchfork into the pungent gift and lifted it up. The akalak noticed sticking the pitchfork into the manure didn't do much accept make his tool dirty. When he lifted it up, the individual brown clumps rolled through the wide opening between each fork. The akalak swore in his native tongue in defeat, but he smirked slightly when he saw a three large stinky clumps on each fork. Walking over to the wheel barrel, the akalak shook the pitchfork over the wheel-barrel and two of the three clumps of manure fell into the wheel-barrel. Shaking the pitchfork more vigorously, the clump of manure seemed unwilling to leave the last fork. Putting the pitchfork on the edge of the wheel-barrel, the akalak dragged the pitch fork backward, so the brown clump eventually fell into the wheel-barrel. Walking over to the fresh pile, the akalak put the forks under the hay beneath the pile of smelling fun and lifted it into the air. This technique seemed to work better because the pile couldn't fall in between the space between the forks.
Last edited by Duron on September 9th, 2015, 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Active Threads: 4/6
Duron
Player

Words: 80620
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2015, 5:54 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Pondering One Place in the Universe

Postby Duron on September 9th, 2015, 2:41 am

Happy with his victory, Duron said out-loud to his brother, “Thank the gods for small victories in life!”

Aferan seemed annoyed at his brother cheeriness and said with the same high and mighty tone to his voice, Only you would think of this a victory brother...

Duron walked over to the wheel-barrel, tossed the pile of feces into the wheel-barrel, and said with a snort, “Don't piss in my fruit bowl, brother! The faster I get this done than the faster we can concentrate on more...interesting things.”

Aferan said with a sarcastic cheerful voice, Congratulations brother you are the best shyke flinger in all of Riverfall! Ayatah will definitely be tearing off her clothes when she hears out your accomplishments today!

Ignoring his dark brother's complaining, Duron went over to the pile of hay, placed the pitch fork under some of the drier manure, and used the pitchfork to sift the hay from the manure. The akalak was happy his dark brother's grumbling was almost inaudible as he continued to cleaning separating the manure from the hay. In truth, it was brainless task, but it aloud his mind drift enough to think about other things like Ayatah. The myrian warrior seemed to come into his little life quickly, but she had already made a impact on the mood of the cerulean. He seemed generally happier than usual because he didn't seem quite as alone as usual. Yes, he had his cerulean brothers, but they could never fulfill the emotional needs of the akalak. Normally, being alone didn't bother him, but as he got older, the thought of dieing without being remember by someone haunted the mind of large cyan man. Regardless of what his dark brother said, Duron was still satisfied that he was getting the job done even if farm hand wasn't the most glorious of tasks.

When the manure was off the floor of the stables, Duron started to poke around the hay with his pitch fork for clumps of dried urine. When he found a clump, he put the pitch fork under and lifted it. He started to shake the clump, but he noticed the clump of hay wasn't staying together like the dried urine, so he put the hay back on the floor, decided to just get rid of all the old hay, and replace it with fresh hay. He wasn't sure if he was supposed too, but he figured one of the more experienced farm hands will tell him if he made a mistake or not. Setting the pitchfork the side of the wall, Duron walked over to the wheel-barrel and pushed it into the stall. When he was ready to start, the cyan man picked up his pitch fork and started removing the old hay. The process of moving the old hay into the wheel-barrel took half a bell to complete, and he noticed that he started to smell awful because he was sure some of the urine soaked hair fell off the pitch fork and on to him.
Duron
Player

Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Duron on September 9th, 2015, 2:44 am

Looking at the full wheel-barrel, the akalak wheeled the now heavy wagon out to the place where the Sanctuary stores there animal waste. It wasn't anywhere near the horse stables, so he hand to walk away till he found the large smelly pile. Wheeling the wagon to the edge of the pile, Duron lifted it and watched the contents fall onto the side of pile. When he was finished, the akalak walked back to his stall and picked up the broom. Suddenly, Aferan spoke up again and asked, Duron, I have been thinking that you are quite ungrateful of me. If it wasn't for me, you would have never talked to the myrian woman...

Duron moved to the left over hay, started to sweep it into a pile, and responded out loud with a frown, “You might have nudged me a little, but it was I who choose to go on a date with her. Don't you dare take credit for my moment!”

Aferan started to cackle in his head and said with a snort, Don't get testy, brother. I am glad you found someone. I am only looking out for your...happiness. What are brothers for?

Duron could always tell his brother was up to something especially when he ask civil around him. Aferan was known for playing mind games especially with him. He especially worried that Aferan will start up with the games with Ayatah and her son. Duron doesn't trust his brother, and he especially doesn't trust him around Ayatah. The akalak growled, “You might be my brother, but I know you better than anyone Aferan. You are a bastard, and you will always be a bastard, so why are you playing nice right now?”

Aferan paused for a moment and said with a snort, You are a paranoid man, Duron. If you want me to be honest, it been quite a awhile since we felt a touch of a woman. Maybe I missed it because my brother voluntarily neutered himself for years. I have to admit. She is quite a kisser!

Duron gripped the shaft of the broom so tightly. He thought that he might crush the shaft of the broom with his bare hands. Aferan knew Duron knew that the other brother experiences everything. Apart of him wished that he could keep Ayatah to himself, but he knew that he would never be able to as a akalak. They shared everything even mates. Trying to control the anger growing in his mind, the akalak tried to ignore his brother's taunting, but the voice of his dark brother still lingered in the back of his mind. Duron said simply trying to control the tone of his voice, “She is remarkable, brother, and yes I thank you for pushing me to talk to her...”
Duron
Player

Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Duron on September 9th, 2015, 2:46 am

Duron could just see the smug grin on Aferan's face as he was able to get a thank you out him, but Aferan didn't say anything. It was like he wanted Duron to grovel for his approval. The light brother always knew Aferan thought he was better than him because he was the dominate personalty from birth. Duron knew if Aferan wasn't so selfish. He might have been able to coexist with his dark brother, and he could have live normal life in Riverfall. Now irritated with his brother, Duron started turned his focus back onto his work as he started to sweep up the loose hay from the floor that the pitch fork wasn't able to get. The more he thought about Aferan messing with Ayatah made him want to break something. It was a strange feeling wanting to protect something even if she had no problem protecting herself. Regardless, he was going to do everything in his power to keep her happy and safe. He just hoped his brother doesn't make him regret his decision.

After his brother was finished taunting him, Duron could now focus all his attention onto his task at hand. With the majority of the old hay off the floor, Duron was able to use the broom to sweep up the remaining hay into a pile. When the pile was made, he held the broom in one hand and the shovel in the other hand, so he could sweep the pile onto the shovel and deposit it into the wheel-barrel. It took him four trips to completely clean up the pile of old hay. When akalak was finished sweeping, he wheeled the wheel-barrel out to the waste pile and deposited it onto the side of the pile. Wiping the sweat from his forehead, Duron knew that he needed to get a fresh bundle of hay. The cerulean wheeled the wheel-barrel down to the neatly stacked pile of hay bundles. Walking over to one of the smaller bundles, Duron widen his feet apart to get better stability when he lifted the heavy bundle of hay. Bending at the knees, the akalak grabbed onto two ropes holding the bundle together and started to lift with his legs. The cerulean could feel the burning in his leg and arm muscles immediately as he straighten his body up. He didn't have the arm strength to lift the bundle higher, so he slowly walked it to the wheel-barrel and dropped it into the wagon.

Rubbing the muscles in his arm, Duron walked the wheel-barrel back to the stable stall and started to untie the knots in the rope. When he was finished, he pitched up the pitch fork and started to put the fresh hay onto the floor of the stall. The cerulean had to admit that it was boring work compared to the jobs his cult made him do periodically, but it was safe and honest. This type of work didn't make him question his moral standing in the world. Aferan didn't have a soul, so he could do the things honorable men couldn't do without loosing sleep. However, he knew that he spent many nights staring into his reflexion in the wash basin and wondering if he should just let his brother out of his prison. It was constant fight keeping him under control. When he finished untying the rope, he watched the bundle apart in the wheel-barrel. Grabbing his pitchfork, he stabbed it into the middle of hay and tossed it onto the floor. He repeated the process until he completely covered the floor of the stall with hay.
Duron
Player

Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Duron on September 9th, 2015, 2:49 am

When Durun was finished with the wheel-barrel, he rolled it to designated place where the tools were stored. The akalak figured the horse would want fresh water and food, so he picked up two buckets and walked to the well. When he got the well, he set one of the wooden buckets on the ground and hooked on of the buckets to the rope. Looking at the pulley system, he grabbed the open rope and started to lower into the well. He lowered it till he heard a splash. Waiting a chime for it to fill, he reversed the direction of the rope, and he could feel the weight of a full bucket of water. It took a few chimes for him to pull up the bucket, but eventually it surfaced, and he unhooked it from the rope. Placing the bucket on the ground, he unhooked the bucket and repeated the process for the next bucket.

Spreading his legs apart, Duron bent with his knees till he hands were able to grasp the handles. Standing up, the akalak stood up and slowly walked the buckets over back to the horse barn. When he got to the horse stall, he placed one of the buckets on the ground and pour the other one into the water basin. When he finished pouring the first bucket, he poured the other in the basin too. He figured that he wouldn't have to feed the horses because they were already grazing in there pastures at the moment. Picking up both of the buckets, he knew that he needed to clean another three stalls before he could take his lunch break. Suddenly, the Cerulean started talking out loud to himself, “You have to admit this is a lot nicer than waiting for a job at the tower...”

Aferan was slow to respond, but Duron could hear the annoyance in his voice, …I think I'd rather wait for a job to open up, but I guess if you happy than whatever...

Duron shook his head and said out loud, “...whatever? Figures you would say something like that Aferan.”

Hearing the growl in the back of his head, Aferan responded with a venom in his voice, Sorry if I dream bigger than you brother! You might be content living your life as farmhand, but I will be damned if I am going to allow you to waste my life shoveling shyke for the next four hundred years!

Duron shot back, “I'm in control, Aferan. Not you, so you better just accept it....”

Aferan was quite for a moment and said simply, For now...
Duron
Player

Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Pondering One's Place in the Universe

Postby Konrad Venger on March 6th, 2016, 10:10 pm

Hey, Dorgen... and Afren, I suppose. Once you get back and deduct your Winter Seasonal Expenses, I'll grade this up, no problem. PM me when you get back!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4