Open Distorted

A woman is found naked in the Ebb & Flow’s rock labyrinth, having been raped and badly beaten

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Distorted

Postby Verena Lorak on March 25th, 2016, 3:52 am

Distorted
14th of Spring, 516 A.V.

As always, Verena was already in her office early in the morning, flipping through the notes of generations of Loraks. Ever since it was given to her, Verena must have read the entirety of the book hundreds of times, poring over it excessively. It had been filled with secret recipes for salves, techniques perfected by generations of healers.

In her familiarity, it took her only a single try for her to find the section dedicated for the marsh fever. She had been traveling through the Midnight Market last night, looking for some knowledge she could glean from the traveling healers. It was important for her to be constantly aware of the changes of treatments happening outside Kenash.

Some of the herbs had been crossed out for after a series of trials, Verena decided they did not improve patients’ health. That was how medicine worked unfortunately – a series of trials and mistakes. At the bottom of the list, she wrote down sweet wormwood and cinchona bark. Verena would have to try the remedies on her patients herself, but for now she would keep it in mind.

The Lorak wanted to learn more about herbalism personally, honestly, but she simply do not have the time. Her clinic had to be maintained for 24 bells a day and she did not have time to visit Uncle Doromer’s greenhouse anymore. Perhaps she could spare the time by the end of the season. Verena was a good doctor, but barely a herbalist and that would have to change soon.

Breaking the silence, her door suddenly slammed opened, revealing a pale-looking Bellara, strands of her dark hair sticking to her face messily. She was breathing hard, as if she had ran all the way to her office. Earlier, Verena had sent the slave to get some breakfast for the patients and the other slaves, but the healer did not expect her to return so fast. After all, Bella liked to wander around the city.

“Lady Verena,” she gasped once she caught her breath.

Slightly annoyed at the loud interruption, Verena closed her book with an audible thud. “Calm yourself down, Bella. Is there a patient?” The slave was pale, her hair damp from running through the rain. She didn’t seem to be carrying anything, so the Lorak guessed that she hadn’t fulfilled her errand.

Bella shook her hair, her eyes wide as she straightened. “Yes. No. Something has happened. The old man from the Ebb & Flow told me to come get you. He said someone was badly hurt and it’ll better if you come see for yourself.”

“What are the injuries precisely?”

Blood immediately rushed to the girl’s cheeks, giving color to her skin. “I apologize, my lady. I did not think to ask that.”

“Very well,” Verena said as she stood up. Not knowing what she would be dealing meant she had to prepare for the worse possibilities. “Go and prepare my tools.”

Once all her things was packed, Verena headed out the bathhouse on the other end of the Dry Island. A small crowd had gathered outside the establishment. She should not be surprised. Words travel fast in Kenash, way too fast. At least the people meant that Apselm had not let anyone inside. Without bothering to be polite, Verena pushed through the throng, ignoring protests. No doubt the people would started talking about her arrival, wondering what the doctor was doing.

In front of the door stood the white-haired old man, almost brightening at the sight of her. “Lady Verena, glad you can spare the time to come.” He then proceeded to let her in, while making sure none of the gawkers could sneak a peek inside. “I apologize for the crowd, I am afraid Wren had panicked and screamed earlier when she saw the woman, attracting the attention of many.”

“Thank you for coming here, child,” Apselm said as he ushered her deeper into the building. I was just opening my shop when I heard strange noises. When I looked for its source, I found a woman, crying at the labyrinth and completely bare. She seemed quite out of it. It is most odd, really. Last night I spent my night meditating there and I swear there was no one else.”

“Do you recognize her?”

The kind old man shook his head. “No, I have never seen her before. She is not a customer of mine.”

“Where is she now?”

“Still out in the labyrinth.”

As they passed by a table with a stack of silk robes, Verena took one of them. The woman would probably need it. “You left her there. She would have been freezing.” Despite her cool tone, most people would have assumed that she was spewing an accusation. She wasn’t honestly.

Apselm ducked his head slightly. “I did try, you know. But she started going mad if anyone got too close.”

Once they reached the labyrinth, Verena’s eyes immediately focused on the curled figure in the center of the ornate rock labyrinth, though she couldn’t quite call it a labyrinth for it was merely carved stones arranged in an intricate manner to form some sort of a maze. The woman’s body was shaking and even from afar, the healer noted the various dark bruises that covered the female’s body.

Verena had only taken a step into the labyrinth when the old man cleared his throat. “I will leave you to it then, my lady. Perhaps I will try to find someone else who can help.”
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Words: 234038
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2013, 1:17 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes