Expanding Cryptography?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Expanding Cryptography?

Postby Chrysa on March 23rd, 2016, 8:11 pm

So I've been reading over the cryptography wiki, and then doing a bunch of google searches, and I was thinking that the skill wiki just seems too general in comparison to other skills that are written up. It also kinda feels disorganized to me, and I was wondering how people felt about getting more detailed/organized on that skill.

Some things I would rework about it would be mentioning things such as skip codes, steganography, number ciphers (both in the way of transformation codes and book codes), tap codes, and spoken codes (such as using coded phrases or a secret language). What other things would you like to see mentioned?

As for the escrow code, I've been trying to search and look for any other type of code that fits that description, but I'm coming up empty on that one. Does anyone know what kind of code this is mentioning, because I've never heard of an escrow code before.
Chrysa
Player

Words: 8249
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2016, 12:36 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Expanding Cryptography?

Postby Alija on March 23rd, 2016, 9:52 pm

A more detailed/organised write up would be good. Different codes, breaking and making them, and simply organising it all would be awesome. Visual codes would be interesting, thinking back to simple codes made with sticks and stones. (Arrows and paces, can't remember the proper term). After all, not all codes are for protecting sensitive messages - some codes are simply ways to leave messages. Not sure about the escrow code though.
I'd also like to offer my assistance with the write up, if you want. I've already done one and have some rl experience with making/breaking codes, if you need the help.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Expanding Cryptography?

Postby Chrysa on March 25th, 2016, 3:26 pm

That would be fantastic, thanks. My understanding of cryptography is pretty basic, and is sort of limited to shift ciphers, polyalphabetic ciphers, and the one-time pad. The internet helps, but it can only do so much in expanding my understanding.

Where should I put what I've written so far?
Chrysa
Player

Words: 8249
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2016, 12:36 am
Character sheet

Expanding Cryptography?

Postby Alija on March 25th, 2016, 6:38 pm

If you mean a draft of the writeup, you can post it in the Lore Workshop.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)