Starting knowledge on Pathfinding

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Usani on April 27th, 2016, 4:39 pm

Hi!

I'm planning a PC with the ultimate goal of discovering and hopefully learning one or more of the lost disciples, starting with pathfinding. I'm currently planning on doing this through a combination of interviewing ghosts and book research. However, even starting the search for any lost disciple is kind of hard, since most people don't know they exist in the first place.

The question, therefore, is how much knowledge of the lost disciples can a PC start with, if reasonably explained through their own past research or divination. Maybe it was even discovered by their mother and read later in the mother's journal, an item which would be set as an heirloom. Is it impossible to start with anything? Can a lore that simply states that there's something out there be possible as a starting lore? Or is even more detail possible? How much of this require HD permission?

Also, past starting knowledge, how much information can be gained through research without a moderator?

Thanks for the help!
Usani
Player

Words: 3220
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2016, 12:54 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet

Postby Ball on April 27th, 2016, 6:25 pm

No Lost Discipline can be started with you have to earn them ICly. This is because of the way one would have to go about learning them.
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Vosk on April 27th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Pathfinding can be requested with a story through the help desk.
Vosk
Player

Words: 8003
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2016, 10:50 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

Postby Ball on April 27th, 2016, 7:59 pm

All of them can Vosk...

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Usani on April 27th, 2016, 9:55 pm

I knew that Ball, don't worry!

It's not starting with the pathfinding skill itself, but the knowledge of its existence. Literally, the general idea that there are magics out there from the ancient past that no one knows about. A very basic lore, essentially, rather than the skill itself. It's only to point the PC in the general direction, otherwise there would be nothing to look for.
Usani
Player

Words: 3220
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2016, 12:54 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet

Postby Ball on April 28th, 2016, 2:16 am

Again lores are inherit to the skill:

Out of character note:
Pathfinding is a Lost Discipline that can be rediscovered at any time through RP. It is not, however, a discipline that can be taken as part of a starting package. Until it is officially rediscovered, you'll need Help Desk Permission to learn learn it.

You cannot learn anything about a lost discipline at start

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes