Quest 50th of Spring [Moderated Event]

Check this thread to see what's happening on the 50th of this season.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

50th of Spring [Moderated Event]

Postby Verena Lorak on July 14th, 2016, 12:43 pm

The Lorak was grateful by the endless stream of patients coming into her care. If it wasn’t for the heat and mud, she could almost pretend that it was simply another day in her own clinic. But then, the healer started getting bothered by the restrictions imposed upon her. It was safe to say that she was growing more and more vexed by the older woman. Verena had come to the mine with dozens of caravans, surely some of them brought salves and medicines? Despite the young woman’s constant arguments, Saf kept holding her back. She had half the mind to find a courier to request more supplies from Kenash.

Her most recent patient had barely sat down when Saf suddenly grabbed her arm and dragged her outside the tent. Instinctively, Verena flinched at the touch, but the older woman’s grip was like iron. “Listen, girl. I know we don’t see eye to eye and that’s ok but you need to listen to me now. This girl’s a favorite of the head man… as in, she’s regularly called to his tent so be on your guard with your tongue and do her right, hear me girl?”

Before she could truly respond, Saf had already shoved her back into the tent. Curiosity spiking, Verena eyed the girl more carefully now. She was still young, about mid-to-late teens. With bright green eyes and full lips, it was not difficult to see her beauty. Beauty slaves usually had the worst fate.

“What’s your name?” Verena asked as she returned to stand in front of the girl. After a brief consideration, the young woman decided to kneel down on the ground, not caring about the mud. Most patients would feel more comfortable not having to glance up at a doctor, it eased them somewhat.

The voice that answered her was nearly unintelligible. “Mareen.”

Almost immediately, the healer spotted bruises around her wrists. Pretending not to notice, the doctor began asking her all the typical question – what she was feeling, how long she had been sick, and all that/ With another cursory glance, more darkened skin showed around her ankles. Verena had seen enough similar marks on slaves to know that the girl must have been bound at some point. A terrifying suspicion started to arise in her mind.

“You have been having an intercourse then? With Alister?” Almost immediately, the girl flinched and she hunched her shoulders closer together, as if readying herself for a blow.

Her heart twisted inside her chest as she realized what the girl was going through. Verena had been through it once. Feeling the fear spiking in her veins at the mere mention of a name. She would keep in mind not to mention him at all. “From what I can see, it is most likely you are pregnant. How many moon cycles have you missed?”

The girl didn’t immediately answer. The silence stretched between them, but Verena was more than willing to give her time. “Can you kill his baby. I can’t be the one to carry it.”

She blinked at the question. It was something she could never think of. Steadily, Verena met the girl’s teary eyes. She did not even have to consider her answer. “No, I cannot. I am sworn not to hurt any living being.” During her entire career, the Lorak couldn’t remember anyone ever asking her to kill someone. Not once. It seemed absurd to her. People came to her to be healed, not for their life to be ended. “Why do you want him killed? It is your baby too.”
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Words: 234038
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2013, 1:17 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Previous