Beware - Unidentified Flying Object (Eris pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Malia on October 25th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Malia watched Eris’ movements, the fingers touching an old scar, her eyes and thoughts wandering, to find out what she thought. From the length of the unfolding silence she could tell that the redhead seriously considered her suggestion. She believed everything Malia said and considered aiding Malia in her quest a real possibility. That was going better than the Nuit had anticipated. She had found what really mattered to Eris and tied her proposal to that.

Life and death and a purpose in life. Malia could understand all those reasons. Therefore she understood how Eris worked and could anticipate her actions to a certain degree. Not control, but anticipation was enough.

Nodding to Eris’ next statement, Malia found herself getting a bit nervous. Pulsers usually didn’t take that long to make a decision, did they? She couldn’t be sure, but she had witnessed them long enough to know that they perceived time differently than she did. If they were lucky, they got eighty years – they easily considered five minutes of pondering over a situation wasted time. What would this one do? Was she of the slow, undecided kind?

Still, Malia forced herself to relax and wait. Her thoughts drifted off, once more thought about possibilities to find and eliminate Kahnikivas. The first steps had to include gathering information about his location, strengths and weaknesses. He probably possessed powers granted by Rhysol Himself.

Yes, I’m willing. Now it was Malia’s turn to hold back a laugh. It would most likely have come out as some high-pitched, over-the-top expression, anyway, and she didn’t want to scare the pulser away, after that conversation. One never knew. Nevertheless, she nodded, almost bowing her head in respect to the woman who agreed to risk her life for a stranger. No, not for a stranger, Malia corrected herself. For life and justice, whatever that meant to Eris.

Now, she had to fill her newfound companion in with the last, most important details. But Eris had already agreed and couldn’t withdraw now. That was a significant point to Malia who believed that promises and oaths were the only things one could rely on – and even those were only valid if one knew the person swearing them well enough. First of all, however, she said: “I truly appreciate your will to be my companion during this. You might think it is something that can be done in one or two nights, but I believe it will be very difficult. We are searching for a Nuit named Kahnikivas. I only know that he was in Karjin about three centuries ago, that he is, without any doubt, a creature of Rhysol and that”, there she paused briefly, “he might be looking for me. That is also why I usually assume fake identities and names.” That would actually attract Eris’ attention on a more personal level, Malia assumed, and continued: “I take it you have not heard of him before, so I will tell you now that my real name is Malia and assume that you are strong enough to keep your mouth shut about that.” Oh, she was being unnecessarily rough, but she needed to make that clear.

It would probably give Eris more ideas, but Malia neither elaborated nor sounded like she’d like to.

“When will you be back in Syliras?” she eventually asked. Once again her mind drifted off to the more practical decisions of her journey. It was not impossible to meet somewhere else, but she hoped that Eris would come back sooner or later so they could start from Syliras. It was as good a city as any, save for its close proximity to Karjin. Karjin was important.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Eris on October 29th, 2010, 12:45 am

Eris sat in silence, absorbing every detail of Malia’s explanation and cataloging away for future reference. This was now a job. Once Eris got hold of a job, she was always very thorough about seeing it through. Strange how fate seemed to jam similar people and ideas so close together. Just yesterday, she had spoken with a Nuit at great length. Now, she was agreeing to help hunt for one. If Eris had believed the gods were actually paying attention, she would have thought they were trying to tell her something.

Eris leaned in slightly when Malia said that the man may be looking for her. It was always dangerous when lines between the hunter and the hunted blurred into obscurity. But Eris was used to complications. Of course, the natural question to arise was why a creature of Rhysol was pursuing Malia in the first place. But Eris did not judge it to be the right time for asking. Whatever tentative agreement has been formed between them was formed through words and through words only. In Eris’s experience, words were fickle things. It was action that was the truly deciding factor. Eris could no more expect Malia to trust her with an answer than she could trust her herself.

A smirk pulled at Eris’s lips. Ah, so the woman was serious about keeping her secrets. Eris really couldn’t blame her for concealing her name at the beginning. Rather, she was more interested in why the woman chose to reveal it now. She could have just as easily decided to keep on using the alias, but she had opted for honesty…Something for Eris to think about when she would have the time. Of course, she did not appreciate the implied threat in Malia’s words, but a threat was better than a meek plea.

What caught her off-guard was Malia’s choice of words.Strong enough to keep your mouth shut… Why would she need strength? She could understand being smart or understanding enough to keep the woman’s name to herself…but being strong enough? Eris did not like to think of a time that she would need strength to keep herself from speaking a secret.

"Pleasure to meet you, Malia. Do not worry, I am capable of keeping secrets," she replied dryly. After doing some rough calculations in her head, she added,“I will return to Syliras no earlier than the 30th of Fall and no later than the 40th.”

“I’d like to know, is there anyone else involved in your search for Kahnikivas?” she asked.
Eris
...in solemn silence on a dull, dark dock...

Words: 171398
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 1:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Malia on November 7th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Malia didn’t fail to notice the certain edge in Eris’ voice when she commented on the real name. Nevertheless, she didn’t regard it as particularly important, thinking that the redhead came across as more rough than she really was, too. Again, she felt tempted to laugh or at least grin, a rare desire, she had to admit. It seemed that her meeting with the God of Undeath had changed her in more than one way. Something was boiling under the surface now. But she simply replied: “That is good.” As if the matter was of no importance. Malia wasn’t even sure what it meant to her.

She sensed that Eris switched to talking business too, so she straightened, pushed a loose strand of hair back over her shoulder and slowly declared: “Not yet.” And after a pause: “But I will recruit as many others as possible. But I will not take anyone. I have enough experience to rely on my judgment of living beings.”

There she paused again, thinking about what Eris might have in mind, asking such a question. Of course, she could try to determine whether she had to work in a team or on her own, just the two of them. That also brought up the question of involvement degree … but that could be cleared later, if ever. Malia doubted pulsers could trust someone like her enough to sacrifice their lives for a quest that was hers, and hers alone. Of course, she had ideas of right and wrong and what needed to be sacrificed for something else to survive, but even opinions and viewpoints couldn’t be shared entirely. In the end she relied on words to convey her mission in a way that would appeal to them the most. Rhetoric skill, leadership and people reading abilities. Malia hoped she had done it well, and she believed so, at least for the time being.

Thinking about her plan again, she added: “I will contact you when the search begins, most likely in the second half of Fall. Thank you.” Despite the slight awkwardness of her words, she shared the address of her dusty little apartment in Syliras and repeated it twice; making sure that the redhead would remember it. If Eris had a piece of parchment, she’d also scribble it down. Then she asked for Eris’ address.

After the formalities were done, Malia rose from the ground and nodded, the shadow of a smile lighting her features in a somewhat eerie way. They’d meet again, and hopefully they’d stay alive long enough to walk the path down to hell together …

OOCLet's wrap this up? I feel we've said everything that needs to be said.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Eris on November 13th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Her judgment of living beings? The woman spoke as if she did not belong that category of beings herself. Eris wasn’t sure quite what to make of that, but decided not to focus so strongly on a tiny detail. She was getting used to the woman’s somewhat strange way of speaking. It was as if she was watching the world from the perspective of a different time. Eris could only wonder what could cause someone to see the world in a such a peculiar way. Again, she was reminded of the Nuit she had spoken to.

Eris committed Malia’s address to memory, knowing without a doubt that she would not forget it. She had memorized countless addresses over the years – always ones where a particular problem needed to be taken care of. In return, she gave Malia the number of the room she usually occupied when staying at Traveler’s Row.

She nodded in return as she stood, her gaze sliding toward the horse who had been uncharacteristically quiet throughout the exchange. Rhine was good at being quiet when it suited her, especially when there was so much grass around her to chew on. Eris moved toward the mare, giving her flank a gentle pat before pulling herself up in the saddle.

“’Till we meet again in Fall,” she said, allowing a small smile to flicker across her lips. Somehow, the prospect of hunting down a dangerous Rhysol follower did not instill as much fear in her as it should have. If anything, it filled her with a sense of surreal anticipation. Throwing a final glance toward Malia, Eris nudged Rhine with her heels and the two set off down the hill. Eris could only hope that she would return to Syliras on one piece, come Fall.

FIN
Eris
...in solemn silence on a dull, dark dock...

Words: 171398
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 1:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ataraxia on December 4th, 2010, 2:22 am

Malia
XP
Climbing +1, Observation +1, Drawing +1, Animation +1, Rhetoric +3, Interrogation +3, Philosphy +3
Lore
Unpredictable Golem Behavior | Leveling with someone about Magic | Discovering common ground with strangers | Questioning the virtue of revenge | Recruiting an assassin

Eris
XP
Riding +1, Observation +2, Intimidation +1, Rhetoric +3, Interrogation +3, Philosophy +3
Lore
Pay attention whilst riding! | Hearing voices... that you should listen to | Hit-Woman | Accepting a contract killing | Discovering common ground with strangers | Questioning the virtue of revenge

Comments
Hey guys, i'm kind of excited to see where this leads Malia and Eris in the future. If this quest is going to be in Syliras and you guys need a mod, there are plenty of us now that can help you out! Let me know if there are any questions regarding the XP/Lore etc etc. Peace out!
Ataraxia
It's like nirvana, but not really.

Words: 49327
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2010, 6:25 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Trash Medal (1)

Previous