[Skill] Beekeeping

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the Archives forum for Peer Review.

Moderator: Scribes

[Skill] Beekeeping

Postby Aladari Coolwater on August 19th, 2016, 2:05 am

Oswald,

The corrections I've made to the article are listed under the spoiler for you to look over in case I missed anything.
Change log :
- Space added in history section
- Description of skills removed
- Changed to "that skill" form "the skill" in Animal Husbandry
- Changed to "florists benefit from more numerous and healthier flowers
- Moved "however" to beginning of sentence
- Removed excess "going to"
- Removed "however" and excess comma
- Fixed sentence about mating age
- Changed the part about filtering honey to "However, this is not necessary as the honey is filtered multiple times before being emptied into containers. This ensures the purity of the product."
- Whoops! I originally used dashes to mark a new subject, but I found them distracting so I took them out...or, most of them. :p
- Changed to "Royal Jelly is found within the cells that will produce a queen."
- Changed to "they will likely sell some of the goods from the hive to help turn a larger profit."
- Changed to "a smoker and a hive tool"
- Cut out "still, "

As a last note, I did include a "Chosen material" in the previous skill levels as a way of allowing the beekeeper to increase their skill gradually. I'm still not certain I'm happy with that method of progression, but right now, it's all I can think of.

As for the skill being rewarding, I know that I had some doubts about it myself. I don't think I can increase it much, though. To include something really cool (i.e You can talk to the bees! You can control where they go!) would be almost magical, and I don't want to step on any mods' toes with Gnosis marks and the like. The big pay-off right now would be the profit. Beekeepers make 6 GM as a base. With Master Beekeeping, that would be 36 GM/day, or 3276 GM for a 91 day season.

Lastly, for record-keeping purposes, I'd like to note that I did not change the word "upset", simply because I am looking for an alternative to the suggested "issues". I also corrected my horrific spelling of "longevity". :((

Attunement,

Thank you for the update. I believe five, with one being a purely grammar-focused review is the standard amount, is it not? I would currently be at three, and need two more reviews if this is the case. If not, let me know what it has been changed to so that I can pester recruit more peer reviewers as needed.
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

[Skill] Beekeeping

Postby Vellichor on August 24th, 2016, 4:12 pm

Hi again. I reread your article and I must say it flows much more smoothly. Great job! You do need five reviews, but with mine, I believe you will have that number. (The reviews can be by the same people). Whenever you feel that your article has been completed, please submit it to the Founders Review.

This is a layout matter, but did you mean to have no space for the title of "Swarms"?
Disregard if this is not a problem.

Additionally,
Bees are quite adaptable in terms of where they live. The humid Jungle Wilds of Falyndar have just as many flowering plants as the grasslands in Endrykas. Their only weakness is cold, as implied by their vulnerability to winter. Well taken care of, bees may survive anywhere, though it is certain that more work is required in colder regions.

There are many different kinds of honey, depending on the flower it was gathered from. They're all said to taste different, with fruits being sweeter, and grains or earthy veggies tasting, well, more earthy.

Bees do tend to prefer certain colors of flowers (blue and yellow) because they are more sensitive to ultraviolet light, which the bees see with. However, the bees will generally work with whatever is closest. To keep bees from, for lack of a better word, tainting a type of honey, you'd need to keep the bees in the center of a large crop field, or make sure that the surrounding miles free from other tempting flowers.

Did you add these? I just thought they were really interesting facts. If you have a place where they can go, you should put them there. Otherwise I think this article is good to go.
Vellichor
Promoting weapons of mass creation

Words: 25755
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2016, 3:09 am
Race: Staff account

[Skill] Beekeeping

Postby Aladari Coolwater on August 24th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Hello again, Velli.

I didn't add the mentioned paragraphs in the article, but I certainly can. The bit about flowers and flavored honeys will fit under the Honey category, while I think I'll put the environment section in its own category.

If no one else has anything to add, I will move the article into founder review. Thank you all so much.
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3