PM to join Snow Stains

Snow-Stained Bows/Training

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Snow Stains

Postby Ascen on August 3rd, 2016, 8:43 pm

56 Summer, 516 AV

The strong winds of Avanthal seems to be clawing its icy fingers at Ascen's fur cloak as the poor boy keeps a firm grip around the cloak while tredging through the snow. With the Long Dark looming over them there's really nothing to warm himself up nor hope for better weather than this. Since Ascen is aware that this kind of weather is only light compared to how it is during the Winter seasons. Nor is he complaining much other than he is trying to get to the Snow Stained Bows as quick as possible so that he can warm at least. With the thick snow crunching beneath his feet, Ascen leans forward as he presses onward against the howling wind.

Eventually Ascen finds his way over to the cabin as he places his gloved hand onto the wooden reinforced door. Then guiding his hand down to the door handle where he could pull the door open with the aid of the strong wind to make it easier. Allowing Ascen to step inside so that he could close the door behind him. Unfortunately it was a small process for his small body can only muster so much strength that the wind almost blew him back out into the snow. But by propping himself on the door frame and used his body weight with his strength the boy managed to close the door shut as the metal latch clicked into place.

The boy dusted off the snow layers that was on his fiery red hair and on his shoulders before Ascen turned around. Excitement could be clearly read on the boy's face, but all of that excitement seemed to have changed when he caught sight of two Vanthas standing behind the counter. Both of them were females and they looked very much alike except for their clothing and hairstyles. One of them had a smile on her face while the other had a scorning expression directed at Ascen. "This is not a place for children, go back home to wherever you came from little one." The lady with the stern expression spoke in an commanding tone at Ascen that made the boy flinch a bit. "But... i came to buy myself a bow..." The kid mumbled that seemed to have made her agitated now. "Aw you want a bow? There's a store for that in the clothing section, and what's with this braid?"

The woman was referring to Ascen's individual braid on the left side of his head that is wrapped in a jade green fine silk that does not possess a design. The boy reached up to touch the silk as in truth he almost forgot about it because he's had it for so long that he's grown used to having it on. Then the other lady, that seems to be the nicer one, spoke up. "Oh leave him alone Laerchel. He can wear whatever he wants as long as he's comfortable with it." Ascen seems to have cast his soft liquid gold eyes down while Laerchel directs a more annoyed tension towards the other lady who smiled brightly still. "That's not the issue here. I mean look at him. He probably hasn't even..."

"Laerchel! Mind your tongue sister. If he's walked through the Long Dark just to get here don't you think he's already determined to get what he came here for?" There was a moment of silence as the tension seemed to be wavering somewhat. In truth Ascen wouldn't put it past that the reason why Laerchel is being like this is not only is Ascen a child, but he's also an Inarta as well. Sure he's young and inexperienced, but he's not dumb either. "Kid, do you even know how to keep a bow such as these and maintain it? Can you strung it to where its fully functional in case your previous string breaks?" It was Laerchel's voice that Ascen heard, and while it was only a couple of innocent questions Ascen felt like he was being tested somehow.

The boy's liquid gold orbs gazed up from the floor to Laerchel and opened his mouth like he was about to respond. But he knew no matter what he said the boy couldn't do those things. Even if he tried, it would only end up in disaster for he wouldn't know what he's supposed to be doing. Of course he's held a bow before, and he's used one before with both talent and skill into it. But that's about as far as his knowledge goes. With no words coming from his lips, Ascen simply shook his head that honestly might have gained him some mild opportunity. "Well i can't have someone buying a bow that doesn't even know how to take care of it... Hey Arairiel, do we have anything big to do tomorrow?" Ascen's heart was skipping a beat for it was racing due to the excitement building up under his breast. Even Arairiel looked at her sister a bit more surprised than confused.

"Uh... hold on let me check." With that being said Arairiel began to look upon their log book that only took a solid chime before she spoke up again. "Well other than that one custom ordered longbow there's really nothing much that's going to happen by tomorrow. Why do you ask?" Laerchel didn't really answer her sister as Laerchel turned her icy cold glare at Ascen's liquid gold eyes. "Come back in 8 bells from now and i'll teach you how to string up a bow. Then we'll see if you're worthy to have one of our bows." So that's it, Laerchel is wanting to teach the boy how to string up a bow. Though this seems to be somewhat surprising to Arairiel, Ascen took this as an opportunity to learn more about the weapon he is skilled in. Which honestly got him excited that was clear as day after he got over his stunned expression. A grin can be seen forming on the boy's face before he politely bowed to both of them. "Thank you La... La..." Ascen stumbled over how to pronounce the woman's name that honestly made Arairiel giggle lightly. "Laerchel! There we go." Ascen exclaimed joyfully as if he just accomplished a small feat. Though in truth it was bugging him trying to pronounce her name and his tongue refused to cooperate. "No problem kid, now i expect you to come when i say to come here and no later than that. Understand?" Laerchel spoke in a softer tone this time that somewhat betrayed her stern expression, but Ascen didn't say anything about it as he nods his head in agreement. "I'll see you guys later!" On that note, the now joyful lad rushes out of the door with the good soul under his feet and a pocketful of sunshine in his pocket of emotions. Of course he made sure to close the door before he begins to make his way back over to Frostfawn Hold where his home resides in.
Secret :
Ascen Reputation Points Faction Title
Citizens 0
Daggerhands -11 Annoyance
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Words: 121082
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2016, 10:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Snow Stains

Postby Ascen on August 5th, 2016, 6:47 pm

The bitter cold wasn't as strong as the other night, but it was still pushing Ascen's back that almost forced the boy down on his knees. With a few stumblings on Ascen's feet, the lad managed to catch himself and keep his rushing pace. At least he's not being miserable with the cold now since he's been given a chance to improve himself and create a broad perspective of what the boy would be good in. Since Ascen is obviously good when it comes to bows, this would be a good opportunity for him to learn. Though another reason that Ascen is in such high spirits right now is that the kid has finally found a way to prove himself and not have to deal with the cold shoulder that he normally gets from these people.

Eventually Ascen makes his way over to the cluster of buildings that's within the Frostfawn Hold. From there Ascen used the buildings to shield himself from the wind as much as he could so that he can travel easier and faster. It didn't take him much longer to arrive at a 20x20 Arvinta that only contained a hearth, bunk bed, chest, chair, and a small table for furniture. Still, the moment the boy entered the dark building and closed the door. Ascen simply took off his cloak and sets it upon the back of the chair before heading towards the hearth. Inside of the hearth was a half burnt log that has gone cold since Ascen put it out not long after he woke up 16 bells ago.

The log was still flammable for there was no mistake on that. Ascen would just have to offer some more timber such as small twigs that's being placed under the half burnt log before he gets out the flint and steel. From there he struck the flint with the piece of steel a few times as the sparks flew out onto the timber until Ascen caught sight of the wispy thin smoke rising up. The boy sets the flint and steel down before he starts to lightly blow on the timber. At first it did nothing but create more smoke that honestly was somewhat making the boy cough a bit. Ascen picks up the flint once again to strike it two more times before the boy breathes more air into the timber. To be honest this was a long process that normally shouldn't be much longer then a single chime.

Luckily it didn't take much longer for the hearth to become warmer with a small fire that was building up from the timber and now lingered on the half burnt log. Of course Ascen brought out some twigs that the boy tends to collect on the snowy ground when walking around Avanthal and would bring his findings here into a small pile next to the hearth. With the twigs adding more heat now, the boy would get up on his feet to grab the wooly quilt from the bed so that he could lay the quilt out on the ground near the hearth to warm the quilt up a bit. While that was heating up, Ascen was brushing off any snow that was on the furniture or to break and remove any ice particles that he finds on his bed so that it wouldn't melt and get his entire bed wet. In truth Ascen adores the snow and in truth has the tendency to build animals made out of snow. But he is also aware of what the snow and ice can do if there was enough heat to melt it.

While he was basically cleaning up his house, the boy began singing one particular lullaby that was named Ablation. It was one of the songs that he's heard so many times from other citizens of Avanthal and it was also something to occupy his mind with.

"The wind did rise, on Yoro's back,
The snow did kiss his face.
He climbed the mountain far and gone,
With no friend, with no trace.
Though the ice did tinge his hair blue,
His eyes were burning red.
For he searched all day for his price
For his fair love to wed.

He sought a carved staff this day,
Ornate with vibrant beads.
Rhus, his rival suitor,
Who stole it, he will bleed.
Up, he went, on the mountain,
dagger in his hand.
To bring down his bride price,
For his fair Irrilan..."

Ascen's singing voice drifted to silence when the boy looked out of his glass window and saw the very noticeable castle where Morwen was said to reside in except for the Winter Season. For he couldn't help but feel that this song was directed to Morwen. Then again Ascen hasn't really seen nor heard from Morwen personally, at least not that Ascen could remember for if she did speak to him personally it had to have been when he was a baby. For there was a nice section in his memory that's completely blocked out for some unknown reason. Still, now Ascen is curious on what Morwen looks like, but his young mind has been so caught up on looking after the animals in Frostfawn and learning from whoever could teach him that the boy simply forgot what this city was built for. In truth he felt guilty because he knows that this city was built for devotion to the Goddess of Winter, and while he doesn't know much about Morwen's history yet the boy still feels like he needs to show devotion that he wants to be a follower of Morwen.

In truth he doesn't really know how to become devoted to Morwen or to any deity. Mostly because he's too young and no one really taught him into religion except for the basic stuff such as who Morwen is and what importance it is to have her presence amongst this city. As such, the boy feels like he needs to bring something like a gift to make up for his lack of devotion and even his lack of knowledge. Additionally Ascen makes a mental note that he needs to visit Morwen sometime soon and most definitely before this Winter since the Goddess of Winter wouldn't be in this city by then. "I guess i can visit Morwen the day after the tomorrow... i should be able to get something for her by then." Mumbling to himself before the boy looks down at his wooly blanket and assumed that it was warm enough to sleep with now. Plus its also a lot warmer in here now, but just so that this fire doesn't burn out overnight Ascen puts in a small pine branch into the fire. Then Ascen would take his wooly blanket into his hands where the kid would lay down on his mostly warm bed with the boy's wooly quilt wrapped on his small body. From there Ascen would be snuggled up to where he got nice and comfy before the boy finally went to sleep.
Secret :
Citizens 0
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Snow Stains

Postby Ascen on August 5th, 2016, 10:00 pm

57 Summer, 516 AV

Roughly about six bells later, Ascen wakes after feeling the icy kiss brushing past his cheek that made the boy burrow his face into the wooly blanket that doesn't feel as warm as it used to be. However now the cold fingers of a breeze was creeping onto the back of his neck that almost deprived the boy from his sleep. Finally Ascen cracks open his eyes to see that the fire was more embers than a fire now and the cold from the outside was starting to seep into the stone walls. Letting a sigh escape from his lips, the boy eventually gets up from his bed so that he could put his boots on. Then Ascen picked a small twig from his pile and starts gathering the embers into a pile before breaking the twig in half and adding it to the embers.

It was just something to keep this place warm for a little longer so that Ascen could fix his bed and bring out some winter snap berries from Ascen's chest. Ascen has actually been living off from eating plants, berries, and vegetables with the occasion of eating meat with the meals. Its not that Ascen doesn't like meat, but logic wise has hardwired his brain to think carefully about the rations for everyone in the city and not for himself. Meat is hard to come by for the only way to have meat around here without having to trade for it is to kill one of the Woolies or to go out and hunt for food. While its almost the same process with plants, the green life is easier to come by thanks to the Tree Retreat in Avanthal.

To be honest Ascen didn't know what time it was for he didn't go outside just yet. But Ascen can only assume that its almost time for him to get going for the Snow-Stained Bow just like he promised he would. So once Ascen had finished eating the berries the kid would grab his cloak from the back of the chair where he left it last night and puts it on his shoulders. After taking a deep breath for he was practically bracing himself of the cold since in truth he's not as resistant to the cold like the other people are, Ascen pulls the door open to walk out into the snowy city and shuts the wooden door behind him. It actually wasn't that bad out here at this bell. At least that's what Ascen thought since it wasn't as windy as before.

Instead it was like a light breeze of cold air combing through his fiery red hair, yet the sky was still dark since the second midnight sun hasn't come up yet. Still this made Ascen's travel to the cabin where Laerchel and Arairiel was supposed to be at. However once Ascen had arrived at the cabin, the door was locked for it technically was only twenty chimes out of the seventh bell. But the boy didn't really know about that as he knocked on the door a couple times before he started to grasp the idea that he's early. So Ascen waited for approximately one bell before he heard the familiar latch being moved from the inside and the door opened to reveal Laerchel staring at Ascen almost like she knew that he was here the entire time.

"Well? Are you going to stand there and freeze or are you going to come in?" Laerchel asked while making her voice loud and clear so that Ascen could hear her clearly over the breeze. The boy quickly hurries inside of the cottage and is almost immediately greeted by a sweet scent of lavender and chamomile that actually relaxed Ascen both body and mind upon smelling it. "Honestly i expected you to have stomped away after seeing that the door was locked and no one answered. Though you were almost a bell early i'll give you credit on that much." Laerchel spoke to Ascen before she placed her hand on the boy's hair to help get pieces of snow out of his hair. Ascen didn't really know what to do on that note other than to stay relaxed. Now that he thinks about it the body language that Ascen can read from analyzing Laerchel is that the smell is also relaxing her. "I figured that i came a bit too early as i didn't really look at the time before i left. Or if you were out somewhere i would've waited until you got back."

Arairiel smiled brightly when she came around the corner from the back room to see that Laerchel was picking out the snow fragments from the boy's hair. "Well now, i see that he came back. I was almost certain that you would buckle down at the last minute. Are you sure that your mother knows where you're at?" Arairiel asked the boy who just looked confused at the woman before he responded. "Um... what's a mother?" This seemed to have caught both Laerchel and Arairiel off guard for they were certain that Ascen was aware of what a mother is. "Well its the female role to take care of the child. In your case, does your parents know that you're going to be here for most of the day?"

Once again Ascen seemed to be confused as he can feel that Laerchel's hand didn't lift from his head though the boy doesn't seem to mind it. "I don't know of anyone like that i'm afraid. I mean other than i have my supervisor from the Frostfawn Hold who teaches me academics there's really no one else that would fit that category." Laerchel was looking at Arairiel for they were both thinking of the same thing, but neither of them chose to speak about it before Laerchel knelt down to Ascen's eye level. "Well i have several bows that needs to be strung. I am going to demonstrate with one and i'll let you finish the rest, okay?" Laerchel was actually speaking in a softer tone for she knew that he was still just a kid. Ascen would nod his head in agreement while grinning with joy.

From there Laerchel brought Ascen to the back room where there was exactly eleven unstrung bows that was leaned against a rack in a single row. Laerchel took one of the slim build bows and showed it to Ascen. "This here is a longbow, and note of how this is slimmer than the ordinary longbows. It is designed to have more of an accuracy and packs a lot of speed behind the arrows. But at the same time its also more brittle than the other kinds of bow for if you draw the string beyond what it was set on it has a high potential to break. This one for example, if you were to try to string it too much then it'll simply break into two pieces of wood. Or another example is that if you were to use this bow out on a hunt or something and you draw the string too far you'll have a high chance of breaking it. What you would want to use is something like leather or even some types of cloth if you're in a real bind and need to string your bow out in the wild. First you take this string here..." Laerchel picks up some of the string that's almost like a strong version of silk. She made two loops for both ends before she slides the top loop over the nock and down the limb. "See how I made these loops here? You'll want to make sure that you can put as less amount of pressure on this bow as possible." Then she hooks the bottom loop into the nock before Laerchel holds the bottom of the string taught by the centre serving step through the bow with her left leg. "Additionally it is also a good method of not messing up the bow you are trying to string it." Resting the bottom of the bow against the front of her right ankle and position the handle high at the back of her left thigh. Laerchel made Ascen look how she has the bow positioned who was looking rather excited and eager to learn as well. Taking mental notes of how she is able to string the bow such as this without messing it up and also a bit faster if not easier to do. Using her left hand to push the top of the bow forwards and slides the string up and into the nock to string her bow.

"I'd like to call it the 5 Baby Steps because its just that easy. Now its the process after you have strung the bow to make sure that its ready for use. This method protects the bottom nock from hitting the ground and provides greater leverage therefore allowing stringing bows up to really strong bows once perfected. Twisting the string will shorten it's overall length if the string proves to be too long for the bow, ensuring the bow is braced between six inch and six 1/2 inch. A lower strung bow will last longer, a high strung bow is more likely to break. See the difference?" Laerchel asked the last part to Ascen to make sure he was paying attention. There was certainly a familiar spark in the boy's liquid gold eyes that almost looks like the flames of his youth being ignited behind those eyes. Laerchel giggled a bit before resuming back into her instruction. "The bow should be gently flexed at least twenty times in increasing increments before taking it to full draw and gently letting down a few times to complete the process. The flexing is to help the bow to become accustomed to the drawing process. This is definitely the important and honestly is the most time consumption of stringing a bow." Laerchel was actually flexing the bow as she was speaking as an demonstration to Ascen who was obviously paying attention to her. Though there was a look of uncertainty on his face for Ascen was honestly not sure if he has the strength to string a bow like that. Especially as fast as Laerchel demonstrated for she never ceased nor stopped her movements. It was almost as if her body knew exactly what she wanted to do and has done so many times beforehand.
Last edited by Ascen on August 26th, 2016, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret :
Citizens 0
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Snow Stains

Postby Ascen on August 6th, 2016, 12:31 am

"Here, you try it to get the hang of it." Laerchel spoke as she handed the boy one of the unstrung bows with high expectations that he'll be able to pull it off somehow. Ascen, still a bit uncertain of his abilities, takes the slim bow into his hands and was looking at the wooden part of the bow with his soft liquid gold orbs. Taking a moment to get a deep breath to focus his mind and dulls everything else out. Ascen takes the string to form two loops on the ends, but he did the tying part wrong as Laerchel points it out to him. "This is how you tie the string into a loop." She said to him while not getting frustrated and shows him how to tie the string into a loop on both ends a bit more slowly this time. Mostly because Laerchel forgot that she didn't explain that part for it was considered as mundane to her.

Once she completed the loops, Laerchel immediately undo the loops into a simple piece of string and hands it back to Ascen. Who takes the string into his hands once again, and while he was considerably slower than she was Ascen seems to be going slow so that his body can get with the program. For he completes the loops before he slides the top loop over the nock and down the limb. Granted he's also slow on this for the string is getting harder to work with, but so far he's doing alright except for the fact that Laerchel is getting a tad bit annoyed that he's going so slow. Then he hooks the bottom loop into the nock before Ascen holds the bottom of the string taught by the centre serving step through the bow with his left leg. Resting the bottom of the bow against the front of his right ankle and position the handle high at the back of Ascen's lower back when it normally should have been his thigh. Using his left hand to push the top of the bow forwards and slides the string up and into the nock of the longbow.

"Great, now flex it at least twenty times for me." Laerchel stated while trying to encourage him to go faster. Though it doesn't seem to be sinking into the boy's brain as Ascen pulls on the drawstring and actually surprises Laerchel a little that Ascen can pull the string back at sixty-five pounds despite the bow being a bit bigger than he is. Additionally the kid doesn't let it go as he gradually and gently lets it down before flexing it once again. At the same time his eyes were always turning into that focused glare when he pulled the string back as if he's lining up a shoot with an imaginary arrow. In truth Ascen is surprising himself of the strength he possesses. Sure Ascen can pull back the drawstring of a longbow almost like he's just simply comfortable with its use. Mostly because Ascen has been trained into the longbow and has been considered as competent in skill wise.

Ascen repeated the flex exactly twenty-two more times for he never let the string loose for he knows that its bad for the string to loose without an arrow in it. Then he handed the bow over to Laerchel so that she could inspect it, and she came to the conclusion that he's strung it just the way it should be. "Kid, your work here can be valuable, but you have to work faster and be able to keep a quality such as this at the same time. You have until four bells to get at least half of these bows done. If you don't meet the quota, then you won't eat lunch and instead be cleaning the store. Do i make myself clear?" Ascen would nod his head in agreement upon Laerchel's conidition for she honestly wasn't trying to be hard on the kid. She just found it to be a good motive for him to get better and work faster at the same time.
Secret :
Citizens 0
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Snow Stains

Postby Ascen on August 7th, 2016, 6:14 pm

After Ascen's clear demonstration that he can do it on his own just at a much slower pace due to the fact that it took Ascen literally forty chimes just to string one bow. Ascen begins to do the math in his head by multiplying the forty chimes with four. Only to come to the conclusion of one hundred and sixty which didn't sound right to him. So instead Ascen began multiplying of how much time it took him to string a bow which was forty chimes and take the rest of the bows into consideration which was nine. Ascen obtained the results of three hundred and sixty which sounds a lot better than his previous answer. However that wasn't enough time to do all nine of these bows Ascen realized, but luckily that Ascen has also estimated that he can get four of these bows done by four bells at least.

"Well, if you need me or my sister we're just in the other room." Laerchel stated before she got up to her feet and proceeded to walk out of the room. Meanwhile the boy nodded his head in agreement before grabbing one of the shortbows which in truth Ascen was a bit confused at first before figuring out how to string it. The process was similar, but it didn't require as much strength to complete it. Which felt strange to Ascen for some reason, but he's not going to question it as the kid manages to complete that one with the flexing included in just ten chimes. Of course Ascen isn't paying attention to the time either, but he's no fool when he believes that it was a lot shorter than stringing a longbow.

The next one was a standard long bow that was quite challenging only a small margin for it was rather bulky than the other long bow he strung up. By taking the string and form two loops, Ascen slides the top loop over the notch and down the limb. Then Ascen hooks the bottom notch and held the bottom part of the string before he stepped through the centre of the bow with his left leg. Resting the bottom of the bow against the front of his right ankle and positions the handle high on the lower back of Ascen's body. Then Ascen finishes it by pushing the bow forwards with his left hand and slides the string up and into the nock of the longbow. This time it only took Ascen about twenty seven chimes to complete the bow, and it only takes him about five chimes to flex the bow twenty two times.

Once Ascen had deemed that this bow was also done, Ascen set the long bow next to the finished shortbow before the boy grabs the next one. Picking up another shortbow from the rack, Ascen noticed that this shortbow is different from the other shortbow that he strung before. But Ascen didn't say anything as he took the string and was about to begin stringing the bow. However he ceased his progress when Ascen heard the howling wind of the Taldera coming from the shopping area. Additionally Ascen can hear the voices of someone new, a male voice at that and probably a hunter or something. Ascen couldn't help but to eavesdrop on the conversation. However it seems that this man was wanting to replenish his supply of arrows while also talking to Arairiel in particular.

Once Ascen had heard of what business this individual had in this shop, Ascen went back to stringing up the composite shortbow. It was stronger and harder to string up than even the longbow which was weird in Ascen's opinion. "Sweet Morwen... what is up with this string?!" Ascen grunted as the string actually started to cut into the palm of his hands. The crimson river of life can be seen dripping from his hands as it plops onto the wooden floor. Wincing as a burning sensation can be felt as the string continues to dig into his skin. No matter how hard Ascen tried pulling the string he just couldn't get it over the notch.

Eventually Ascen simply stopped trying as he sets the bow down on the ground in a gentle manner before he clenched his hands into a pair of fists. After about three chimes had passed the blood had finally stopped dripping from his hands as there was a noticeable tiny pool of blood before the boy. Then Ascen would open his hands, still feeling the pain just by opening his hands from being clenched, the boy licked his wounds a couple of times before he took the composite and placed it back on the rack. From there Ascen took a regular shortbow this time and began to string it. It took him roughly about eleven chimes this time because he's trying to avoid from using the palms of his hands. Still when it came to flexing the bow Ascen didn't feel that much pain other than his hands are getting irritated from the wounds.

Eventually upon the eleventh bell that rang, Laerchel came around the corner to check up on Ascen. "You doing alright over here kid?" At that point Ascen was just finishing up on flexing the long bow which made it the fifth bow he's managed to complete so far. With one bell to go before he could take a break or so Ascen thought. "I'm doing good i believe. Though i couldn't string this bow over here so i went with the ones that i know i could string." Ascen gestured with his index finger over to the composite shortbow, but in doing so Laerchel saw the wound on his palm as well. "I take it that you tried to string it, but it winded up cutting into your hands?" Laerchel assumed almost like she was dead certain that was the case, but Ascen nodded his head before he takes up another shortbow that was regular and it didn't take much longer than ten chimes for him to complete with flexing included. "I figured as such. My hands used to get torn up from stringing so much or trying to string one of those stronger versions of these bows. Don't worry though, you'll get the hang of it eventually after you build up your strength for it."

Laerchel stepped out of the room once more until about two chimes later Laerchel came back with two strips of cloth. "Here, let me see your hands." She spoke to Ascen who responded by setting the finished shortbow next to the other finished projects before opening his hands to her. Indeed it looked like two red streaks on the palm of his hands, and Ascen didn't realize until it was too late that those strips of cloth was damp with alcohol when she wrapped the cloths around Ascen's hands. So Ascen felt an intense amount of burning sensation that was almost like acid on his hands. Arairiel even peeked around the corner to check on them, but Ascen wasn't paying attention for he closed his liquid gold eyes while saying nothing. However his cheeks betrayed him as they glowed a light red of him concentrating for not making any noise. "I know it hurts, but you only got thirty chimes left before you can take a lunch break. Sound good?" Laerchel stated in her usual strict tone, but by now Ascen knows better that is just how she is.

Ascen would nod his head in agreement as Laerchel takes the composite bow out from the rack. "Don't worry, you won't get into trouble from this. But i expect you to get better and stronger so that you can pull it off in the future." Laerchel assured him as she walked out of the room with the unstrung bow in her hands. After she had left, Ascen spent the next thirty two chimes stringing a longbow with flexing included. While Ascen's hands were burning like crazy from the rubbing alcohol, eventually Ascen blocks the pain out as he didn't even hear the howling winds coming from outside when that door opens. He was just focused on his work that just about everything else was being blocked out from his mind. About ten chimes later the shop's door opened once again as Ascen for once heard both Laerchel and Arairiel spoke. "Is he okay?" Ascen could hear Arairiel whisper to her sister who also responded in a whispered voice. "Yeah, he's just hurting from the string."

Then Laerchel came back into the room where Ascen had just laid down the long bow next to the other finished projects. Holding in her hands is a plate that contained fresh cooked fish with a clay cup that had steam rolling off from the lip. "We went ahead and got some lunch for you. Though its not much i'll admit, but it should be enough to get you back on your feet." Laerchel walks over to give Ascen the plate of fresh fish and the cup that actually had green tea in it. At first Ascen was unsure of how to respond to this generosity, but after he took the first bite into the fish Ascen grinned. Arairiel also came into the room as the both of them sat down with Ascen in the middle of them. "So what do you like little one?" Arairiel asked the boy who just finished a bite of the fish. "Depends on what you're referring to. There's animals, different kinds of birds, food, and such."

Arairiel giggled as they were both eating fish too. It was a common meal from the Luminary Commons, though why they weren't eating over there Ascen has no clue. Then again Ascen hasn't really been over to the food stalls except for some occasions when he's out to get fish. "Fair enough, well what animal do you like?" At this point Ascen was quiet, though there wasn't a single sign of negative emotion about the boy for he was actually having to think much about that. "Well... there's always the Frosthawk, the Great Crowned Owl, and even the songbirds." Ascen finally stated before Laerchel responded as well. "So you like birds?" On that note the boy simply nodded his head in agreement before taking another bite into his fish.

"What food do you like?" Arairiel asked once more as they continued to eat their fish. "Honestly i like the fruit in Tree Retreat if that counts? But i also like the smoked fish too. Its really tender and juicy too when its smoked with seasonings." The atmosphere was light and positive with the scent of lavender and chamomile mixed with the hot meal that they were eating. Eventually they ran out of topics and questions to ask the boy, but he seemed to be enjoying the conversation anyways. When they all finished their lunch, Laerchel rose up to her feet and hands Ascen a shovel. "The next part of your job is to shovel the snow from the doorway. While i do love the snow, i don't want it to block my customers from entering the shop itself."

Ascen would nod his head in agreement before taking the shovel in his hands and proceeds to walk out of the shop with the door closed behind him. From there, Ascen dug into the snow with his spade shaped shovel and tosses it away from the building itself. However the boy had to make sure that the snow was at least ten feet away from the building itself. So Ascen had to stay out their with his cloak flapping lightly with the chilly breeze. He's not a Vantha either, so he's not as resistant to the cold like these people. Still, Ascen didn't mind it all that much for honestly it wasn't as bad as it had been since that storm blew in. So it was like being out in the spring to him. It doesn't really take much effort for Ascen, it just takes two whole bells to shovel everything ten feet from the shop because it is rather big. Granted its not as much as he's usually shoveling when it is his turn to shovel the road with the other kids. Finally Ascen managed to complete his task and rushes inside of the shop to deliver the good news.

"Miss Laerchel, Miss Arairiel, i completed what you asked me to do!" Ascen exclaimed in a joyful tone. Laerchel wasn't in the lobby, but Arairiel was sitting behind the counter writing down something on a book. She looked up from the book with a bright smile on her face before she calls back for Laerchel. Not even a chime had went by before Laerchel came from the back and went outside to inspect Ascen's work. After a few chimes had gone by Laerchel came back with bits of snow and frost in her hair. "All of it seems to be good to go, and as of now you can buy one of my bows. Now what was it you were looking for?" Ascen grinned a bit before his soft liquid gold eyes wandered around the room for only a chime. Then he found a longbow that was roughly a foot taller than he was, and picked it up in his hands. "I'd like to get this with a set of twenty arrows and a quiver please." Arairiel giggled lightly before she extended her hand out for the money, and Ascen brings out exactly ninety six gold mizas to give Arairiel. Laerchel went to grab a quiver and put twenty arrows into the quiver before handing it over to the kid. "Is that everything?" Ascen would nod his head in agreement as he straps the quiver around to the back of his waist. "You sure had a lot of money though, where are you getting all of this money?" Arairiel asked as she had to put all of the gold mizas into a seperate bag to contain them. "I've been saving the money for about four seasons now, but at any rate i'll see you guys later. Bye!" Ascen exclaimed cheerfully as he opens the door and bolts out of there. Only to come right back to shut the door because he forgot to shut it. "Sorry, thank you for lunch too by the way." Then just like that Ascen began to make his way back over to his house in the Frostfawn Hold cluster.
Secret :
Citizens 0
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Snow Stains

Postby Maro on August 26th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Ascen,
I've noticed some paragraphs in this thread that are dangerously close to plagiarism. That being said, I'd love to finish grading this thread for you. The paragraphs in question are the last two of the third post. If you rewrite these in your own words, then I will happily finish grading your work. Please PM me when you've made the corrections.
Thanks and good luck,
Maro
Maro
Player

Words: 179660
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)