Completed [Job Thread] Last Minute Fix

Levali helps her new neighbour finish her room expansion before the storm sweeps in.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[Job Thread] Last Minute Fix

Postby Levali on July 28th, 2016, 4:24 am

Levali Rödal Iceglaze
50th of Summer, 516 AV

Cold summer winds swept over Iceglaze hold. It was evening of the fiftieth day of summer, and a very harsh storm was on the horizon. Dark skies loomed over the city, though that was hardly any indication of time during the season of near eternal darkness. The twenty third bell had only just struck. If someone hadn't told Levali, it would have been nearly impossible to tell the time on the frozen and clouded evening.

Naturally, it's times like these that Levali happens to receive employment.

The girl sat with her feet up on a small wooden table fit only to dine one or two people at once. Her room was clear of clutter in almost all aspects. From the table her feet lay upon to the corners of her room. All her clothes and possessions lay within a single chest along the side of her room, with the exception of her masonry equipment that rested in the opposite corner. She wasn't necessarily a neat person; She just didn't own all that much after she got a room of her own make in the arvinta a year ago, and ever since then things have felt so.. Empty. She had constructed the walls herself.. And with a bit of help at the time. After all, she was still learning. This was mostly her own fault, as she had completely neglected to buy any furniture for it.. A list was held carefully in her hands; One she had read only several hundred times before. There were things like coal, ashes of certain kinds of wood, and tungsten.. Nothing altogether too rare, but in such vast quantities that Levali couldn't possibly afford them.. A thousand seven hundred gold rimmed mizas, and she didn't even know what for. The room was lit by a simple hearth in the corner, keeping the temperature level and the room lit where her window usually would.. But that had been shut tight. No snowstorm was about to find it's way into her room.

Her fantasies over what kind of incredible magic such an extensive list could be for were interrupted by a stern knock on her door, which prompted a moment of confusion from the girl. She hardly ever received visitors - Much less at this time of night. Levali slowly rose from her chair, rolling up the scroll and placing it on the table in the center of her room. She wore a short sleeve shirt made from a white cloth matched with light brown pants of similar material, which she assumed was acceptable to answer the door with at such a late hour. Upon opening the door she was greeted with the sight of one of the younger girls who was only recently married in a celebration she remembered hearing about a season past.

If Levali was being honest with herself, she found the girl quite pretty. Her untied hair glittered a light blue in the light of her fire, hanging down along her back and curled as if she were about to go on some kind of date. And she was dressed as such too. She also wore a cute red dress that was covered by a a heavy fur cloak she wore over herself. It was obviously far too big for her, and had plenty of extra room to drape over the floor when she walked. With a quick look her visitor smiles to the mason and nervously offers her greetings. "Ah.. Hey! You work as a mason, right..?" Her question was met with a short nod, her gaze focused on the girl's pretty blue eyes.. "That I do. I take it you have need of my skills?"

"..Yes, I do - And kind of urgently.. We need someone to finish the wall my fiance and I had expanded just recently before the storm. ..The man we hired can't get here without risking being snowed in, but if we don't fix it.."
Last edited by Levali on August 30th, 2016, 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levali
Icebreaker

Words: 48365
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2016, 4:11 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Levali on August 19th, 2016, 1:31 am

Levali Rödal Iceglaze
Summer 516 AV

"If you don't fix it then you'll be letting snow in during the storm?" Levali finished for her, still getting a grip for the situation at hand. "Yeah." The girl confirmed, gesturing down the hall to her room. "We're just over there.. Maybe you could help us out if you've got the time..?" She didn't even need to glance back at her list to know that she would rather be in the company of her attractive neighbor than alone, thinking about a list. "For sure. Just let me get my things together and I'll be there in a moment." Smiles seemed to be contagious as the girl that appeared in her doorframe managed to spread hers to Levali, who retreated back into her room and collected her things. Finishing a wall meant that she would need her mortar, trowel and likely not much else. There was no foundation to dig, nor was there any unusual material to work with. By all accounts this was about as easy as a job should get.

With her two things in hand and a light black jacket she made her way down the hall of the Arvina to the room the girl pointed at. Entering would reveal a room similar to her own but longer, with a wall only finished on the left side. This meant she would have to connect the corners as well, but she had been well trained in the arts of ninety degree turns. On the side, the girl and her fiance snuggled on the couch in the comfort of a large brown blanket. The man had short brown hair and a small beard, seemingly as young as his lover and almost as good looking at that. If he had a bit more muscle than he might just cut it.. But such a thing was off topic. As she moved over to start working on the wall she was met by a large gust of wind through the hole the size of a third of the wall, bringing in snow to settle along the ground beneath it. The bricks to work on it were just outside. If Levali was to get this done, she would have to work quickly so that the bricks would not be lost in the snow.

"So.. I don't think we all met yet. I'm Levali, the girl down the hall and all that. Mason." Hugging her jacket close, Levali moves outside the wall and picks up three bricks in one pull, lifting with her legs to bring the snow covered blocks inside. A quick brush of her hand cleared them off so that she could set them down on the next layer of the wall, bringing it up to the height of her knees. "Ah.. I'm Marie, and this is my soon to be husband Tilip." Spoke the girl who had come to her door, "I work as a waitress at the Luminary Commons.. And Tilip is a carver."

"And how is that? Do you like it?" She asked as she took off the lid to the mortar, scooping some out with the trowel and spreading it across the bottom of the wall. The mason was more focused on getting it done than doing everything perfectly, which lead to less time spent on evening the mortar. It would spill over the side when she squished the three blocks onto it, which she quickly collected in the tool and spread over the place for the next block. "It can go either way.. I wouldn't say I love it, but it's alright when you don't get rude customers. Most of the time it's good though." Levali only half listened as she worked for the next hour or so, hearing all Marie had to tell her about her family and new room expansion.. The topic of their date came up once, and apparently they were going to have one before the storm started to come in. They decided not to because they would end up snowed in and stuck there, which might have actually been a good idea if not for the hole in their wall. Tilip was pretty silent throughout, watching Levali work. He would volunteer to help her a couple times, which she only accepted after a fair amount of insisting was done.
Levali
Icebreaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Levali on August 30th, 2016, 2:54 am

Levali Rödal Iceglaze
Summer 516 AV

Work on the wall was slow, as it always was. Masonry like this never truly required one to be totally engrossed in the art; If one could even call it that. The repetitive spreading of mortar and the placing of blocks pursued long after Marie had left for a warmer room and discussion had died down. In it's place a storm picked up, the frozen winds relentlessly blowing snow onto the wooden floors of Tilip's home. Even with Morwen's Ice Reaving gnosis, this was cold. Particularly cold. Another hour passed, and by that time the girl had to squint her eyes against the storm in order to see things properly.

By that time the wall was almost half built, coming up about her waist and allowing her to stand from her previous kneeling position. It was a grind to gather the bricks, lay the glue, and place the brick. Never had masonry been something that Levali particularly enjoyed. It was the job she had because it was a job, and she happened to have already had a contact within it. But as the conditions grew ever worse, it was starting to become clear that the wall would not be finished before the brunt of the storm. Tilip knew it too, and finshing off their current layer he left a long sigh. Overall, his help was actually better than she thought it would have been. He never got in the way, and fetched the bricks out of the snow for her.. It actually sped things up a lot. It was Levali's first experience having an assistant, and the thought of getting one to help out with things like such crossed her mind if she ever intended in going further in masonry.

"Listen Levali.. Storm's pretty bad out there. A lot of the bricks are buried under the snow, and it just won't be worth it to go dig them out." The mason paused, looking at the one who aided her with uncertainty. The notion was certainly tempting, but it wasn't like her to just leave a job incomplete.. However, Tilip was also the one who's wall needed to be repaired. A second of thought lead her to the conclusion that the worst that would happen is that some snow would blow in, and that she wasn't really getting paid anyways.. She nodded and told him that they would at least have to cover the hole in their wall first lest they freeze the entire arvina, which was still of a decent size.

And so the pair started to try and figure out some way to cover the hole. Their first thought was to try and cover the hole with some kind of blanket. Naturally, this presented them with a couple problems. The first was that the blanket wasn't big enough. The second was that they couldn't hold it up. The last was that even once the blanket was up, the wind would still flow through it, and it could be overpowered and pushed inwards by the violent storm. It only took a couple minutes for the idea to be scrapped, followed by a short 'break' in which both of them left the room to tell Marie about their progress.

The girl sat cross legged on a chair when they found her, sharing some kind of tea with two people who Levali assumed to be her friends. The three shared a small laugh as they entered, their attention shifting from whatever previous discussion there was to the pair who had been hard at work trying to build up the wall. Snow clung to both their jackets, shivering as they entered the much warmer room. Marie still wore the large cloak from before, which she quickly got up and offered to the both of them. Huddling beneath it, the two sat around the hearth that the other women were resting beside as they were eyed with curious glances. The fire was so warm.. The total antithesis of the cruel winter that existed outside.
Levali
Icebreaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Levali on August 30th, 2016, 3:41 am

Levali Rödal Iceglaze
Summer 516 AV

"You could always keep the blanket up by attaching it using ice reaving, no? Sure, it might be stuck there all winter, but at least you'd not be sleeping on the ground." A short discussion over the status of the wall and the conditions of the terrible weather outside took place around the hearth.. Apparently belonging to a woman by the name of Jane. The suggestion to attack the blanket was that of her's, and in all honesty it might work out. "But I know that I also wouldn't want to go dealing with that cold out there.. Can't say I blame any of you for staying in here. Don't got any extra beds, but I can put together a couple blankets if nothing else." Marie was quick to accept the middle-aged woman's generous offer, though Levali's mind was somewhere else entirely. Using ice to hook up the blanket would block the wind.. It would still be pretty damn cold, but at least there wouldn't be snow everywhere. The challenge here would be to dig up all the bricks outside and put them together on the wall; And the longer they waited, the deeper they got. By next sunrise, they'd be impossible to dig out if she could get out of the hole at all. More likely that not it would be filled with snow.

"That's.. Actually a really good idea." Levali started, still speaking as if she was half in her thoughts. "If we do it though, we have to do it before the snow gets any heavier. Pardon me for asking, but do any of you happen to own any shovels?"

And so, just after the two of them got warm they were at it again - Stepping out over the hole in the wall and fighting against the frost to dig up as many solid bricks as they could. "You know, I was alright with just staying with Jane." Tilip half yelled as he shoveled a pile of snow aside. The snow was already up to their waists, and seemed to fall like sand whenever they threw some aside; Filling exactly the place where the other sand used to be. "Too late now!" She responded, trying to allow herself to be heard. Even the noise made by the storm was intense. Rather than shoveling away all the snow, the tactic quickly turned to fishing around the ground with their feet for any bricks they might accidentally kick. Once they were found they would be tossed inside, and then when they thought they had enough then work would start on the wall.

After what seemed like forever and felt like an ice age, both Tilip and Levali were convinced that there were simply no more bricks to find beneath the thick layer snow. In the mere moments of crawling back into the room, it had already snowed enough to cover any trace of them having walked outside waist deep in ice. Stars dotted the sky, and the two frozen workers laboured on into the night. Brick after brick was laid over the stone wall, made increasingly difficult by the height of the snow actually having passed the height of where they had the wall during their break. A bit of shoveling and finally putting up the blanket the way Jane had recommended finally made conditions workable, but far from comfortable. At least the rather large flakes wouldn't be blowing in their faces the whole time.

Somewhere along the way, Levali had actually forgotten why she was helping the couple fix their wall in the first place. Perhaps it was the sight of Tilip's gorgeous fiance that got her started, but after hearing of their relationship it turned to more of a general feeling to want to see them have a complete, sealed home during the storm. ..But damn it if she wasn't asking her boss to get paid for the job when this was over. Work was work - Especially in conditions like this.

Finally the last block of stone was set in and sealed snugly beside the others. It seemed that they had indeed found all the bricks thanks to their odd shuffling tactic by which they waded through the fluffy hazard. The wall was complete. And somehow it felt all the more satisfying because of all the trouble she went through to do it - Not that she would ever dream of doing it again. Tilip took off his hat and gloves, his face red with the cold as he collapsed onto his couch; Getting bits of snow all over it. Levali looked to Tilip, smiling to him and stating in a playful tone..

"Lets get the hearth running. I think you owe me a hot chocolate."

"Really? I think you owe me a blanket."

The pair had a small chuckle from that, thanking eachother before leaving the room to inform Marie of the good news.
Levali
Icebreaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Konrad Venger on September 24th, 2016, 10:44 am

Hey, Levali! Once you get back and deduct your Summer 516AV Expenses, I'll grade this up, no problem. PM me when you get back!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Maro on January 7th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Levali

Skills

+Body Building +1
+Endurance +3
+Leadership +2
+Masonry +3
+Socialization +2
+Wilderness Survival: Tundra +3

Lores

-Levali's Room: Sparse
-The List: Passed on from Her Father
-Wilderness Survival: Close Up Windows against the Cold
-Smiles Are Contagious
-Marie: Levali's Gorgeous Neighbor
-Tilip: Marie's Fiance
-Masonry: Use Excess Mortar for the Next Layer
-Assistants Make Work Easier and Quicker
-Wilderness Survival: Block Off Holes to Conserve Heat
-Cloaks, Fires, and Company: All Good for Warmth
-Warm Up Between Tasks
-Levali: Unable to Leave a Job Unfinished
-Using Ice Reaving to Secure Things in Place

Notes :
Well done, Levali. Please make sure to edit your request to 'graded' in the queue. If you have any questions or think I've missed something or would like a piece of lore rephrased, just send me a PM to let me know.
Maro
Player

Words: 179660
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)