Flashback A Slave [Part 1]

Keira receives a gift from her father, a very special gift.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

A Slave [Part 1]

Postby Kiera on September 1st, 2016, 6:46 am

Keira
25th Spring 513AV

*OOC Note* I will be referring to Keira by the name she was given before she changed it.

Sunlight glittered through a window to form a mismatch of shadows and light across the plush rug that adorned a glistening dark wood floor. What was once a clean mat, was currently littered with books and papers. Doodles, adorned the white scraps alongside the scrawl of notes alongside the pictures. The handwriting, was almost childlike with its scrawl and uneven sizing. The tiny print, indicated speed and there was a neatness in how the words were spaced. Unerringly, the sound of quill against paper would fill the otherwise silent room. Bent over the materials on the floor of her bedroom, a little girl, no older than thirteen scribbled furiously away in her sketchbook. A book, detailing local animals and their habitats sat next to her, opened to a random page. A petite hand flipped the page once again and a pair of eager eyes skimmed over the material. For the next few moments, that was all Reika did before she moved to draw the animal, it was also what she had been doing for the entire day. Even with the sun shining bright and the sky clear of a single cloud, the dark haired child was content with staying where she was. She liked the quiet and she adored the peace that came with it. In her little sanctuary, she was happy enough to be blessed with the company her books provided. It was not as if she needed anything else anyways, much to the discernment of her parents, she never asked for anything, not even company. Reika for its term, was a good child, she played when she was asked, she spoke when she was spoken too, and she never really fought back. She had always liked to stick to herself when she could and did not mind it one bit. Her world was very much simple. It was not like, she had many friends to play with anyhow.

Too simple, if the whispers that sometimes reached her ears were anything to go by. Perhaps, it was just odd for a child to prefer books over people. Immersed in her study, the girl failed to hear the rapping on her door. The wooden item swung open anyways, it was not like she would have minded. The tap of wood against stone finally pulled the teen out of her thoughts. Round brown orbs peered blearily at the man that entered before a wide smile tugged at her lips. From the neatly cropped hair to the trimmed beard, the tall man was familiar.

“Dad!” She dropped the pen, splattering ink without a care before standing up and running towards the tall figure. A pair of dark deep-set eyes peered happily down at the girl. “Reika.” He murmured, the low tone mirrored as much affection as she had.

“I missed you.” Her father had been gone for a few days and that, had felt like an eternity. A soft grin would be the only answer she received for her declaration. Shortly after, her hair was ruffled, earning a pout.

“I…have a gift for you.” Reika blinked, before bouncing excitedly.

The older man stepped to the side, revealing a different figure behind him. Amber colored eyes widened. Before her, stood a…boy? The slave mark on his neck was glaring, it was not hard to spot seeing as he was a good head taller than she was.

“Mine?” She whispered. A simple ‘yours’ was the answer.

There was a choked noise of awe as the girl tentatively reached forward towards the boy. Her fingers gently patted the shock of dark auburn that crowned the other’s head. Bright eyes stared back as she turned to her head in confusion. “You got me a…slave?” Her brows furrowed. She was not aware that she had wanted a slave, nor did she know if she actually wanted one now that she had one.

Her father shook his head. “A friend, Rei. I got you a friend.” That was all it took for understanding to flood her face along with a sadness that came with the knowledge that the other was still [i[hers.[/i] It was a foreign concept. “Thank you dad…he’s pretty…” That was all she knew to say.

“He is, and now he is now yours…and your responsibility.” There was a seriousness in his tone. A book, connected with Reika’s head. Skittering back, she glared at him and at the offending material. “And this…” The glare melted into understanding as she eagerly gripped the tan item, a gifted book it seemed. “You take care of him.” Black locks scattered as the young girl nodded her head vigorously. Taking this was as much seriousness a thirteen year old could muster.

“I’ll start now!” She would not disappoint her friend, nor her father.

The girl’s father could only shake his head as he watched the two toddle away and clamber onto the bed. One’s step, was loud, the other, was silent and poised. He shook his head and chuckled softly as he watched her start to read the book on tigers he had gifted out loud. It seemed, like he had made a right decision, to get her a friend even if it had been pricey. A dash of amusement lit the man’s face as he turned away. Idly he wondered how long it would take for her to find out just how special her new friend was, after all, she would notice and have to take off its collar eventually. It was just how she is.

Settling the both of them against her pillows, Reika continued to read the book out loud while occasionally glancing at her new friend. She watched as he began to drift off and giggled. Reaching over, she patted his messy hair before settling down. He was her friend now, and she really, really, wanted to take care of him and make sure he was always okay.
Kiera
Player

Words: 39922
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2016, 7:08 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

A Slave [Part 1]

Postby Konrad Venger on September 9th, 2016, 7:09 am

Nice job! Your work has pleased The Sloth!

Keira

XP:
Drawing - 2
Observation - 1

Lore:
Blessed with the Company of Books
The Gift of a Slave

Click Me! :
Well, you packed a good deal into this one. I especially liked how you depicted the whole idea of slavery in... not a positive way, but neutral. They're just a fact of life in Kenash, and buying one for your daughter is little different than getting her a dog.

Also makes me kind of sad, seeing how happy and bookish she was, and what she would be reduced to... :(

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4