Solo Surviving The Jungle III

Nya and Randal continue their WS lessons, this time learning about shelters.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Surviving The Jungle III

Postby Nya Winters on November 7th, 2016, 12:04 am

Timestamp: 20th of Fall, 516 AV

Continued from "Surviving The Jungle II".

Nya Winters was right. The man did ask her what she thought was wrong with the survival shelter they'd just built.

“What’s wrong with it besides its flimsy?” Randal asked, curious what Nya’s eyes could see. The Kelvic wasn’t talkative so there was no reference for him to know what she was thinking like there was in some of the people he taught.

“I don’t like being on the ground. It’s muddy, wet, and lots of bugs particularly ants can get me. It won’t hold up to a good wind. It’s not anchored in the ground. And something falling on it could really hurt it and thus me inside it.” Randal nodded.

“Good. Now… lets move to see about the other type of shelter. This one is going to take more work, but it will be worth it. We still have enough daylight left today to build it and get home. But before we start I want to move back closer to the settlement just in case we get distracted or run into trouble. That way we won’t be cutting the loss of daylight too closely.”
The outdoorsman advised, making sure all the gear was gathered and that they were headed back in the right direction.

They talked more as they walked. “I should warn you too that you shouldn’t build a shelter right next to a game trail or anything that looks well-traveled. Even scout the area for dens or nests or heavy monkey activity in the trees. All that could pose a threat.” Nya nodded, and looked thoughtful as they walked, trying to mentally pick out appropriate places for shelters now that they were on the topic. She had thought she knew a lot about wildlands, but evidently her knowledge, especially here in Falyndar, was seriously lacking.

“There’s another thing I should mention about shelters and sleeping in the jungle at night. Snakes get cold at night and always look for warmth. Insects are the same way, Nya. Don’t sleep naked. In fact, sleep in as many layers as you can. You don’t know when you are going to have to jump up and face a predator. Even leave your boots on. Tuck your pant legs into your boots and socks to keep out pests and snakes. And believe me that insects will eat you alive if you leave any body part uncovered. It may sound silly, but this is your best friend out here.” Randal said, stooping and scooping up a bit of mud from a soft place at the base of one of the trees they were walking past. “Smear mud on your face, hands, and any place that might be exposed. It will protect you from insect bites and really save you a whole host of issues in the morning.” He added, tossing the mud aside but not before drawing a pattern with his muddy fingers on his opposite hand. He smiled at her a little sheepishly and then laughed.

“Don’t forget your eyelids. I made that mistake once and woke up so mosquito bitten that my eyes were practically swollen shut.” He said with a chuckle causing Nya to join in. All and all, despite its beauty, the jungle did not sound like a fun place to be. It seemed even less hospitable to humans the more she learned about it.

Randal let her pick the next spot. He asked her to look for bamboo, shoots at least as thick as her wrists, some smaller, some larger, would be good. They were almost back to the settlement, on The Maw above what Nya guessed was the mercantile. She did as she was told, looking for high ground, off game trails, away from water, away from falling hazards, and all the other things Randal had pointed out.

“I learned something from my mother…” Nya admitted after a while. “Back when I was living on the boarder of Taldera and Sylira at Lormar Tower. She used to call site selection for shelters in the wood BLISS sites. Have you heard that term?” Nya asked, the memory rising up suddenly, almost startling her. She loved her mother and was pleased that words of wisdom trickled through even into this lesson.

Randal shook his head. “Never heard of it.” He said, looking thoughtful.

“It’s a … I forget the name for what they are called. Each letter stands for a phrase that means something. B stands for Blend In With Surroundings. L stands for Low Silhouette. I stands for Irregular Shape… she said never to build square shelters because they stood out too much. But she wanted to protect me. S stands for Small… like you taught as well. And the final S stands for Secluded Location. Its to help you remember how to build a shelter. I was very little when she was teaching me. I’d forgotten. Your teaching is causing me to remember.” Nya added, wondering if she sounded stupid or juvenile to Randal.

“Acronym.” He supplied the word for her and Nya nodded pleased he knew the term. “That’s a very good one Nya. I’m going to use it in my further teachings.” He said, repeating the word BLISS to himself multiple times until he felt he had it right. “Sometimes things like that help a great deal. One of my favorite is KISS. Do you know what that one stands for?” He asked, laughing.

Nya shook her head.

“Keep It Simple Stupid.” He supplied, causing Nya to laugh. They were still standing in front of the location Nya had selected at Randal’s request. He glanced around and then looked over at her. “What appeals to you about this location?” He asked, drilling her, wanting to know what her mindset was on selecting this one.

They'd walked for a while, a good bell, before they'd come upon this spot.

Nya looked thoughtful and then answered him without hesitation. “It has the bamboo you wanted. It is off a game trail, high above water, but there’s more. It’s sheltered and concealed from what I would consider enemies… people and predators. It’s got multiple escape routes…” She pointed out the easy ways down off the Maw leading to the settlement. “I can signal the settlement here, and there’s no rocks, dead trees, or anything like that from the rules you supplied.” She added. “It looks like it has no insects, deep leaf litter, and I’ve noticed no snakes as well.” Nya went on.

Randal smiled his approval. “Alright. Good. Let’s build a more serious shelter.” He added, clapping his hands together once to get them started.

Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Surviving The Jungle III

Postby Nya Winters on November 7th, 2016, 2:14 am

Randal nodded his approval. “Okay, I see why you picked it. Let us get started. The first to do is clear the ground cover… you’ll need an area as long and as wide as your own body or as long and as wide as the people who you are building the shelter for. Let’s build this one as if we are both going to use it.” He said, walking around, checking the area thoroughly. Nya had carried the improvised broom with them and had already begun to sweep the area clear of debris. This was met with approval as well. She was learning in leaps and bounds, something that was surprising to Randal.

“Nya, this will be very important because this will be the basis of a more permanent shelter you can build for yourself down in the settlement if you build it on a larger scale. So I want you to pay very close attention. I have a lot of people to build for and I know you and your bondmate need a home as well.” Randal said as Nya subtly flinched.

Nya didn’t correct him. Abashai wasn’t her bondmate. Not anymore. The Kelvic felt almost as if Randal’s words knifed her gut. But she said nothing letting him continue.

“I probably won’t be able to get to you until the very beginning of winter. But if you can start with something like this, for certain you can have a sturdy more permanent place to live before I even get there with my team.”
He added, then gestured to the larger bamboo. He traded the broom for the axe with her and then gave her his instructions. “Chop down four evenly sized bamboo logs, Nya. They need to be about as long as you are tall and at least six inches in width.” Randal held out how wide six inches was just in case the Kelvic wasn’t familiar with measurements.

Nya nodded. She hefted the axe and was already eyeing the bamboo stand picking out her wood. She approached the first one, knelt down after checking for snakes by poking with the axe around the base of the bamboo, and began to cut it down. It was green, mature bamboo. That meant it was tough but not dried and came down easily. She dragged the bamboo pole out of the stand and then quickly removed the branches, twigs, and leaves from the length. She cut the top off at the proper length Randal had ordered and went back for the other three. It didn’t take her long before she had the four poles cut.

Meanwhile Randal was busy. He didn’t actually need Nya to do all the labor. Half of his teaching relied on his students DOING, but sometimes just telling them what to do was fine. In this case, he’d already dug three evenly spaced holes forming three quarters of a square when he gestured her over and had her dig the forth. She dug them down so that about a foot of the pole would be in the ground. Then together they set the poles in the holes and used a thicker piece of bamboo that Randal cut to arm’s length to tamp the poles in place making them solid. Nya wasn’t sure what the tamping was all about until she saw Randal set his first pole, fill in the material in the excess hole space, then strike it hard with the arm-length stick to solidify the material around the pole. That set them up firmly in the ground so they felt strong, almost as if they’d grown there.

“If you are ambitious, you can cut away a bamboo patch until just four remain so that they are already solid, but I prefer this method. I is far less wasteful.” He said to her, rising and backing up to survey the work. They now how four poles in the ground about the length and width of two adult humans laying on the ground side by side. Nya looked pleased at the work.

“What next?” She asked even as Randal fished out his kukri for the next step.

“Remember, always carry a kukri into the jungle. But if you don’t have one get a sharpened rock. They are around if you look hard enough. Even if you aren’t lost but are out without a kukri and see one, pick it up and slide it into your pocket. You never know when you will need one.” He said, handing her the kukri.

Nya nodded as Randal continued his instructions. “At the level of your knees, carve a notch facing outwards about halfway into each pole. Cut the notch about a quarter of the way in at a V.” Randal dipped his finger in the mud at the foot of the pole and sketched on one what he meant quickly with the dirt.

Nya nodded and got a good grip on the kukri. She cut into the bamboo and began notching each pole. “What are these for?” She asked curiously as she cut, not pausing and not meaning to question him, just wanting to know what was ahead.

“We’re going to create a platform. We’ll need these notches to hold the platform up off the ground. Without the notches the platform will still work but it will slide down if it gets any weight on it.”
Randal explained then continued with his instructions. “Now go cut six straight bamboo lengths that are about four inches in diameter. They need to be straight. Two of them need to be two feet longer than the shelter’s width and the other four need to be two feet longer than the shelter’s length.” Randal gestured by toeing the mud past where the posts were sunk to indicate his measurements.

Nya nodded, trading him the kukri for the hatchet, she got started. It was hard judging the distance, so she cut a couple short. But after she had a good idea by cutting the right length, all six poles got harvested and stripped and dragged over to the four posts to get ready to be put up. Randal nodded his approval as he demonstrated the next step.

“Using one of the two shorter poles, Nya, lets place it in the notches at this end of the shelter. Watch me then move to the other end and set it like I just showed you.”
She watched him set the pole in the notch then trotted down to the other end and did the same. They repeated the process with the matching length post and then had a frame with two anchored crossbeams.

“What’s next?” She asked, glancing at the four posts.

Last edited by Nya Winters on May 28th, 2017, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Surviving The Jungle III

Postby Nya Winters on November 7th, 2016, 5:32 am

“Now we lash those two posts in place. Go cut more vines. You know the drill. These need to be about the size of your thumb or a bit bigger in diameter. I need four lengths to start out with… half your height.”
He decided, sending Nya off again with the hatchet. Finding those vines wasn’t difficult. Literally the entire jungle hung with them. Bigger ones were harder, but down near the ground tendrils of all kinds of tough plants dangled.

Nya returned in short order and Randal demonstrated how to lash the vines she’d cut to secure the two long bamboo poles in place. He basically wove the vine around the pole and then around the post over and over again getting a tight wrap. He tied it off with a knot he showed her how to tie really fast. He swore it would not slip. “This is a timber hitch, Nya. It’s an important knot to know being out here in the jungle.” Randal said, continuing his explanation. “It’s the easiest way to secure a rope or vine around a post or any cylindrical object. It won’t jam, slip, no matter how heavy the load is or how bad the conditions are.” The man continued.

“Pass the end of the vine around the pole and then take a turn around the standing post. Tuck the working in back around itself three times with the lay of the rope. Add one or two half hitches near the end and tighten it down. The half hitches do nothing but keep the excess fine from trailing to the ground which might invite a marching line of ants to investigate your new sleeping quarters.” He said with a chuckle.

Nya took another vine, ran down to the far end, and looped the vine turned rope around the post and then around the pole. She tucked the free end around the piece of the vine that was going to be holding the pole to the notch and wrapped it three times before pulling the whole thing tight then half hitching the trailing spare vine to the pole. Randal worked with the third corner while Nya retrieved more vine and lashed the forth corner. By the time they were done they had a solid start of a platform.

“I see where this is going.” She said, moving to get the other four poles. She fit them in with Randal watching and nodding, looking to him each time she set a pole to make sure it was correct. What she did was used two of the longer bamboo poles, she placed one on each side of the shelter, laying them over the already lashed crossbars. It formed a sort of cross frame like the cross members beneath decks or homes she’d seen in Syliras.

“Now what?” She asked as Randal lounged nearby watching her with amusement. Nya had a sort of single minded obsession when she really got into things. This was one of those projects.

“Lash those like you did the first two. Then go cut a dozen or more… you’ll know how many you need based on how thick around the ones you cut are… additional poles. We’re going to lay them straight across the width of the shelter to form a bed base. Then we lash them all together with vines as well.”
Randal said, taking pity on the Kelvic and setting off with the axe to start cutting the bed base. He made short work of it, though he needed in the end more than two dozen of the poles to form the base. He laid them across with Nya’s help, letting her take the knife and cut vines. She’d lashed the underframe square nicely using the knot he’d shown her and then she took additional vines and wove them under and over the ends of the bed base poles until she had a solid platform that looked like a raft floating on four poles instead of water.

“Can I use this technique to make a raft too? That might be fun to float around in the bay with.” She said, laughing slightly at Randal’s grimace. The question had been a joke, a way to make him smile. He didn't smile though and she could tell he was getting as tired as she was. In a way the grimace was just as funny.

“You can. You just need bigger bamboo. Driftwood would be even better.” He added, then gestured to the structure. "We'll talk rafts later, perhaps, if there is time and you bring me more meat." He said, this time with the chuckle she was after.

“You know, Nya, we aren’t done. This gets you up off the forest floor, away from bugs and casual snakes passing by. But it doesn’t shelter you from the rain. It’s not a true shelter until it has a roof. How would you make one?”
He asked, not certain the level of Nya’s building experience.

Truth be told, Nya had no idea. She didn’t know how to make the four posts into a roof. “We could make another frame like below, with notches and everything, but it won’t shed water. It would collect water and probably get us wet anyhow.” Nya said, tilting her head, walking around the structure and really giving it some thought.

“I have no idea.” She admitted, feeling stupid for a moment. Building anything wasn’t her forte nor should it be. Nya was a Kelvic, not an engineer in any way shape or form. “Can you tell me?” She asked, knowing he would.

“What we are going to do is make a roof on the ground then put it up since there is two of us. With just a single person, you can build it up there. This way is a lot easier. So what I need you to do is go cut five straight bamboo lengths. One needs to be about two feet longer in length than the entire shelter is long. We call this the apex or topline. The other four need to be two feet longer than the width of the shelter. These will make the gables.” The woodsman instructed her.

Nya nodded and set out. She was, at this point, getting a little tired of cutting down bamboo. But she knew they were close to the settlement and this was the last lesson of the day. She’d have to hunt again to pay him so her lessons could continue. So far, though, the trade off was worth it. She was learning in leaps and bounds.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Surviving The Jungle III

Postby Nya Winters on November 7th, 2016, 8:19 pm

When Nya had all the supplies gathered, she looked to Randal for further directions. The complexity of the roof was out of her building experience. But she did know enough to get even the vines they would need in place of rope. She assembled the pieces by laying them out flat in the order he had requested them and then stood quietly, looking at it curiously trying to decide what to do with them.

Randal nodded his approval, then arranged the bamboo poles the way he wanted them. He moved the way they were arranged though, putting the longest in the middle and flanking it with two of the others in either side. Then he took the two remaining poles and laid them across each end. He took the hand axe from her and cut each of the ‘end pieces’ into three sections and laid them out like a triangle on the ground on either side of the three lines. They looked something like <|=|>.

When he was done, he indicated that she needed to notch and latch each ‘end’ to form the gables. They would be a solid set of <| and |> when she was done.

Nya set to work immediately. It meant making notches in each of the | pieces on the ends and on the ends of each of the < and > pieces. Those two went together at a right angle to form the peak of the roof ends. It was a lot of cutting, but the Kelvic was already familiar with it having formed the platform the same way. She was just glad it was bamboo and not something harder like actual seasoned wood. She wrapped and used the pole hitch to secure the gables. Then, with two solid triangle end pieces ready, she notched the ends of the apex pieces just as she had for the gables. Randal smiled in approval as she lashed that together then as well. Finally the apex sapling slipped into the V shape of each gable end and was lashed neatly in place. The roof was a solid frame when she was done. Randal came over and together they lifted it up and held settled it on top of the poles.

That was a mistake.

More notches had to be cut in the tops of the poles. This was something Nya decided she’d do on the ground if she built another shelter anytime soon. It was far easier to notch the top of the posts when they were laying on the ground than after they’d been tamped in. All she would have to do would be to be mindful of where they pointed as she raised the pole. As it was she had to stand on the platform and notch them hanging out into open space. It was an awkward position at best, but one she got used to by the time she’d gotten to the fourth pole.

Once more the pre-lashed structure went up. Nya stayed on the north end while Randal took the south end and they hoisted it up once more, each quickly lashing their ends to the poles. She smiled when it was done, having some idea of what to do next.

“Let me guess. Now we get smaller thin poles to cross up the roof lengthwise on both sides. Those get lashed into place, and then we cover the whole thing with big leaves to keep the water shedding?” Nya asked, looking up at the structure and already reaching for the hand axe.

Randal laughed. “I’ll cut. Your more agile. You go use the knife, get vines, and I’ll hand poles I’ll cut up to you to tie into place.” He said. Nya smiled. Though she was tired, she was definitely having a good time. She nodded to Randal’s instructions and headed out to look for suitable ties. She cut a bunch of them this time, noting that she was starting to become sticky. The vines weren’t like dried ropes, but instead bled sap all over her. Most of her tunic would need to be washed if she could even get the sticky resin out of the stiffened fabric.

The Forest Cat grumbled, not for the first time, about how inconvenient clothing was. Fur was much better… more secure, easier to clean, and it shed out once a year. Yet stoically she marched into the jungle, having to range further this time, to cut more lengths for the shelter. It was good practice and she already had something in mind for how she could adapt it to her own home.

Home.

It was a strange word, but she liked it here. Nya thought when she’d left Ravok and indeed Abashai, that she’d find home back at Lormar Tower. But the place had been a ruin when she returned, nothing like its former glory. There was no soul there now. Not even the echo of her parents love had remained at the ruined tower. And in a way she’d died a little just living there, growing silent and becoming in a way like the shell the tower was anyhow. It hadn’t been until Abashai returned, woke her up, and reminded her there was a whole life to live that she’d decided to start doing so.

Even Randal’s teaching was helping. Nya’s mind had been dull… dull and withdrawn since her bond with Shai had been broken. Abashai had been her center of the universe, one she’d revolved around and lost. It was hard to be on her own. She wanted bonds. She wanted connections. Nya needed them in ways she couldn’t explain. Even helping Randal build this shelter, taking his instructions, and producing things like fist full of lengths of vine to use as rope helped. She was serving. She was making fulfilling someone’s desires.

Nya cut the vines quickly and returned to the site of the shelter to find a pile of poles lying beside it. She quickly hefted several up, bracing them on the posts, and then began to arrange them neatly up the roofline, lashing them at each end to the gable frame. Randal brought several loads of the cross poles back so by the time she had them lashed into place, he’d started cutting broad leaved plants for the actual roofing material.

Together they started at the top peak and draped and laid broad leaves over the branches mimicking the roof shingles she’d seen in Syliras. Like the other shelter she’d made, they did layers, piling them on over the top of each other until there were at least three layers. It was hard work and often she had to stand on something, be it a rock she dragged over or Randal’s shoulders themselves. But they got the top put up and the shelter completed.

She stood back looking thoughtfully at it and surveyed their handiwork.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Surviving The Jungle III

Postby Nya Winters on November 7th, 2016, 8:58 pm

“Randal, how does this translate to something more permanent to live in? You said I could take this technique and make it an actual home. I don’t understand how.” She said, gesturing at the small structure that while it was a shelter was just not something that was homelike. The Kelvic tilted her head and thought perhaps she missed something. Turning she watched Randal think about her question.

“Well, I’ll need to teach you how to make rope. That’s not hard and its all part of Wilderness Survival as well. But what I was saying was that this basic building technique that we’ve just done, this basic construction, is a way to go about making a home. You don’t actually need walls in Syka unless you want privacy. And you can add roll down woven mats to do the same thing. You could make one of these larger, stronger, perhaps out of driftwood or coconut palm and it would be a perfectly decent home. Imagine it larger with a stuffed canvas mattress and some stuffed chairs of the same material. It would be beautiful, and with the right roof it would be completely comfortable and weather proof. The only issue you’d have would be with the winds and if Mathias was right about you, that isn’t an issue with you at all. He said you talked to them… you were a child of Zulrav.” Randal explained.

Nya nodded. “I am a Stormwarden. I had hoped to sell Stormgems to help make money here but it has not stormed at all.” She said, looking thoughtfully at Randal.

He answered her immediately. “Wrong season. In the summer and winter we have storms. In the spring and fall is our best weather. It seems contrary to what other regions experience, I know, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true. And we don’t get cold. We just get more rain and more wind, occasionally a hurricane or other tropical storm. The worst we get is lightening and heavy rains.” He said, looking thoughtful.

“Lightening?” Nya asked, her eyes widening. Randal mistook her widening with delight and read fear there. Nya was a master at hiding her emotions since Ravok so it was no wonder he made the mistake.

“Don’t worry. I know how to survive a lightning storm, Nya.”
She started to interrupt him but he held his hand up. Did the man not equate lightening to weather? Humans. Nya thought, looking perplexed as he launched into yet another Wilderness Survival lecture.

“Look, shelters like this one… the one we just built won’t hold up or protect you at all during harsh weather or a sudden storm. You need to avoid storms to begin with or seek deep shelters things like root sellers that protect you within the earth. You may feel you are completely safe if you are far away from the storm, but believe me I know from practical experience if you can hear thunder, you aren’t safe. You don’t even have to see the lightening to be vulnerable to it. However you detect a storm, if you detect it you are not safe from it. If it’s over the next rise or in the next valley you could be vulnerable. Take the time to prepare and hope it misses you. Don’t wait until the last minute to head to shelter. Unless it develops extremely quickly, you should be able to head to secure shelter long before the storm arrives given enough pre-thought and education. Don’t take your chances being outdoors during a thunderstorm.” He added. Nya could tell she’d pushed some sort of internal button, some tragedy that had him worried for her safety and giving her a lecture that sounded time tested and true.

“You have to get to shelter. Small places like outhouses or sheds won’t do it. You need deep protection within the earth and a lot of minimal contact to the ground. I know it sounds fantastical, but people get hit with lightening. They really do, Nya. I’ve seen it time and time again.” He added, continuing without so much as taking a breath.

“Sometimes you don’t have a place to go. Sometimes you are stuck outside and then I do know some last resort safety tips. But these are all last resort. Shelter is always best. Always! I can’t keep you from being struck, but I can reduce your chances and reduce the damage of a lightning strike.” He added even as Nya danced on her feet, eager to say something, even if it wasn’t about how scared she was. She loved lightning. It sang to her and she made the best most precious things from it.

But she drew quiet as she smelled his concern, his fear, and knew there were memories tied up to what he had to say to her.

Nya stopped trying to interrupt him and was now curious as to what these steps were. Maybe she could teach them to Abashai so he could learn how to survive lightning without his Stormwarden partner. Knowledge didn’t hurt. And Forest Cats were known for their curiosity.

“So if I’m stuck without shelter out in the wilds, what do you do?”
She asked, knowing Randal had a very pressing need to tell her this information.

“If you are in the forest, look quickly for a group of small trees surrounded by taller trees all of a universal size. Run into them. You can also find a low area like a ravine or depression. Avoid running to lone trees or objects that are taller than you like pillars of rock or stone outcroppings. All these things attract lightening. “
Randal said, looking serious. He emphasized his words, as if willing Nya to understand.

She nodded. “What if you aren’t around trees? Like say you are on a plain or in a field? Maybe even on the beach?” The Kelvic was getting concerned, drawing in Randal’s unease, even though she knew better. Her of all people had nothing to fear from Zulrav.

“Its somewhat the same. Look for a dry low lying area such as land depression or a natural roll downward in the land. Crouch down with your heels touching, head between her knees and cover your ears. Minimize your contact with the ground, so don’t lie down flat. IF you get hit, the lightning will travel through you to the ground. It will burn you everywhere you touch the ground. So don’t touch the ground as much as you can. That might even mean rising up on the balls of your feet in your crouch. It’s a hard position but it’s a safe position.” He said, crouching down and demonstrating. It looked super awkward, almost like he was trying to pass stool.

Nya tried it out. She was more graceful at it, but that was a given due to her Kelvic feline nature.

“I understand. I will teach Abashai these skills. I don’t fear the lightening, Randal, because it will never strike me and if it does I will make stormgems out of it. But its good information to know. I will tell others.” She added then rose up, stretched and looked around.

“This was a good trade. I will bring you more meat because you said you had more things to teach me. I have learned a lot today and will take the lessons home to maybe build my own home as well. But I want to learn Firecraft and the other things you talked about like learning to ford a stream. Can we do that in a few days if you have time?" Nya asked.

Randal nodded. “I can make time on the 27th. I’d like another tapir or an equivalent amount of meat for it though. Is that okay with you?” Nya nodded. She knew he passed out the kill to a lot of other people, trading sometimes and just helping other times.

“Yes it’s a very good deal.” She added, turning with him. They left the lovely strong shelter they’d built and started down a path that lead into Syka. The sun was already trailing low in the sky so it was more than late enough to call it a day in regards to the lessons.

“I will be there on the 27th. Thank you.” She added, waving goodbye as their paths parted at the base of the hill well into the settlement.

“You are welcome anytime, Nya.” Randal said, returning her wave and heading his own direction.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes