Closed [Training] A Letter, a Squire, and a Skinny Tradesmen (Alex)

Walde gets a knight to train him to fight, through slightly underhanded methods.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Training] A Letter, a Squire, and a Skinny Tradesmen (Alex)

Postby Walde Reiner on November 15th, 2016, 10:35 pm

69th of Fall 516 AV

Walde is bored, and when Walde is bored Walde does stuff that he regrets, mostly pranks and other stupid stuff. Walde tries his best to not be bored, it is part of the reason he took up gadgeteering. He was just sitting there on his bed attempting to think of something to do, "it probably should not be work, or I will lose my lazy card. I could look for some fun in my blade, but I don't have anyone to practice with, Garland is not around I don't know any other knights, perhaps I can devise a way to... manipulate some training time out of the knights, and perhaps increase my contacts, if not friends it is nice to have business partners, but I should probably not be caught manipulating the people I expect to work with. Perhaps I should find a way to train with a knight that is more direct, maybe a trade, no, I am running low on cash, and most of my possessions are useless to them or necessary for my job." He pondered a more direct way to train with a knight and when he found it he nearly laughed out loud at his lack of seeing what was right there. "I could write a petition one that discreetly calls into question there sense of honor, and draw from there duty to protect. A petition would also cater to their authoritative illusions, alright let's give this a try." He wrote the following letter.

"I, Walde Reiner, but a humble Tradesman, politely request a service from The Order, The Knights of Syliras, It is your duty to protect the people of Syliras, and when you are unable to do so it is your duty to teach the people to defend themselves.

Throughout my life I have been targeted, not only as a child but as an adult, there have been pickpockets, there have been drunken ruffians, and there has even been one mugger. My request is simple teach me, teach me to defend myself, so you don't have to, I come to you in my time of need so there will be no more times of need, so there is one less helpless civilian for you to worry about. i can be found in the lower tier apartments.

-Walde Reiner, Your Humble Servant

"Hmm, that should be high enough caliber B.S. that the knights take notice" He thinks to himself. Walde heads over to the barracks into the only area he is allowed, the peacekeepers office, a small and in Walde's mind boring room, to file complaints and apparently the best option for his letter, He is greeted by a knight who looks sick of duty here in the peace keepers office, who's monotonous, bored voice drones "Welcome to the Peacekeepers Office, how may I help you?"

Walde noticed an older knight who seemed more content in the peacekeepers office "You probably can't, or rather won't may I talk to that man? It will get you out of a conversation with a boring civilian." Walde mimicked the knights tone for that last part.

"Sure, go right ahead." the bored knight droned

"Who me? why do you want to talk to me?" The older knight pointed at himself.

"Simple. You are much less likely to through this away, your compatriot is not a veteran of the order so he does not cherish the times away from combat nearly as much as any veterans I have ever met." Walde smiles warmly.
"I see." the older man was unconvinced.

"I would simply request that you deliver this letter to an officer of your choosing, with a small selection of words, tell them, if you don't mind, 'I man with some modicum of intelligence is preferable' he will understand after reading the letter" Walde continued.

"So, you come in here and want me to act as an errand boy and deliver a letter that for all I know could get me fired?" The older man asked.

"Two things 1. Do you really want me gallavanting to an officers room to deliver it myself, and 2. if you want I will sign the envelope and put my address on it?" Walde raised an eyebrow.

"fine, I will go, it will be a nice change of scenery, no need to sign it." the man smiled and left.

At that Walde went back to his apartment to wait for whoever they send.
Last edited by Walde Reiner on November 16th, 2016, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a bad influence, You have been forewarned
Walde Reiner
A person in a place.

Words: 7574
Joined roleplay: November 9th, 2016, 5:20 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on November 16th, 2016, 8:43 am

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"
Alex simply sat staring out of the window. The encounter with that huge fog beast had set him just a twinge on edge though from looking it was almost impossible to tell. He carried the same sullen melancholic look as always eyes half lidded. Up too early and asleep too late. A winning combination. Still though the sound of a letter smacking into the bench before him next to the bowl of the remaining porridge was enough to make him flick his eyes back over.

“You look bored enough.” The older knight spoke with a rather amused tone.
“Bored enough for what?” Alex inquired with his usual soft and light voice the words trickling free.
“Had a strange fella come in and deliver that letter. Take a read, it’s on your plate now squire.” The knight chuckled to himself as he wandered off. Alex meanwhile glanced down at the letter the slip of paper enough to make him wonder what he’d done to deserve this. Then he remembered the stalinsas and it all made sense. Scooping up the sheet he began to read through. Putting it back down for fear of soaking his hands in the sarcasm that dripped from it.

Great another self-entitled person wanting a hand out because the knights cant mediate their city in a non-brutalized fashion. Let’s go and see. Strapping his swords to his belt he stepped out of the barracks leaving the paper and the remnants of food in the bowl.

His walk wasn’t long before he stepped before the dwelling of this “Walde Reiner”. Strange people in stranger living spaces. Alex shook his head, left hand resting on the hilt of one of his blades, his right hand rapped it’s knuckles firmly across the door, the plate against the wood was enough to echo throughout the hallway and emphasise the fact that Alex wasn’t here for his own good.
Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Walde Reiner on November 16th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Walde was sitting over his bench, planing down a plank of wood, mostly out of boredom. It had been about 45 minutes since he delivered the letter, although Walde was planning on having to wait at least till tomorrow. He was not expecting the knock on the door, "I am on my way!" as he grabbed his rapier and strapped it to his waist, the sheath had what looked like snake scales and at the end there was a snakes head tooled into the leather. He answered the door to see the man in plate armor, "so you are who they sent? Nice to meet you I am Walde Reiner, I apologize for the note, it was, in my mind anyways the only way to get you here." Walde extends one scarred hand "Your name is?"

Walde thought this man looked... boring, He was not a huge fan of uniformity, or conformity, he just doesn't see the point, Walde would not express these thoughts for two reasons 1. He was not going to lose what that letter gained him, and 2. He was not a masochist, and so getting his ass kicked was not high on the list of priorities. He was also not going to let a simply unimportant fact like his dislike of conformity to color his opinion of this man, Walde was at least fair.

"Where are we going to do this?" was Walde's final question.
Walde Reiner
A person in a place.

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on November 16th, 2016, 11:06 pm

Fifteen ticks. That was all that had passed since Walde had opened the door and Alex had taken stock of him. A definitive and very clear difference stood out, As usual Alex towered over him however he didn’t expect the disparity in size. Walde was thin as a rake for his size and Alex just sighed heavily under his breath as he heard him speak. There was an air of superiority pinned to his words like he thought himself better than Alex despite not knowing him in the slightest. Alex glanced down at the hand that extended towards him the litany of scars both small and large not unnoticed however Alex through simple courtesy didn’t shake. Instead offering a small nod.

“Alexander Faircroft. Though if you please just Alex.” Alex spoke with his usual almost whisper quiet but soft and gentle tone. His regular voice, not some put on air. Unlike most though Alex didn’t stand in an imposing manner rather one that was angled to appear as welcoming and approachable as possible despite the dark manner that lurked behind it. As for where they’d be training it was a simple affair Alex couldn’t take a commoner to the squires and knights training grounds so that left but one option.
“We’ll be headed to the pits. You could do with seeing how some other people also fight. If you’re going to learn, then learn by both doing and by watching.”

Alex seeing the thin rapier blade upon his belt shifted around and started to walk off slowly allowing Walde time to lock his door and follow. In his head Alex was already pulling up the memories of Belinda and how she fought with her rapier and how Ball fought with his smaller one. A small selection of techniques but enough for a novice to at least have a slim grasp.

A few moments later the duo Arrived at the fighter’s pit was given the time of day somewhat empty but still a few diehard mercs and other well to do fighters were there polishing their skills. Leaping the three feet down into the pit Alex bade Walde follow and then abruptly turned without even drawing his blade and spoke.
“Right draw your sword, I want to see if you can actually hit me with that thing. If not then you’re in for a really bad time, in more ways than one.”

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Walde Reiner on November 16th, 2016, 11:50 pm

He felt slightly better towards Alex, the more he walked and gauged him the more he noted a certain level of amiability, geniality even if there was a darker element to it, perhaps Walde should reconsider his view of this knight, if not the knighthood itself. As they were heading to the pits, Walde spoke to Alex more pleasantly this time and with a smile, "Right, learning by watching has always been a useful skill as a self-taught tradesmen, not that a squire such as yourself would be interested in that." Walde continues chatting fairly non-stop, Walde had always liked the sound of his own voice.

"Right draw your sword, I want to see if you can actually hit me with that thing. If not then you’re in for a really bad time, in more ways than one." Half-way through the words Walde drew and slashed letting out a slight breath as he was taught, Walde likes to use the element of surprise as a way of gaining the upper hand, any type of slash is a technique that is rarely ever used with a rapier, a product of being somewhat oppositional defiant Walde is willing to try most techniques once, in both trades and martial skills. He picked this technique off of a katana wielding swordsmen he saw once, he never got to use it against an opponent, only a little bit of practice getting used to the feel of the sword when performing this strike.
Walde Reiner
A person in a place.

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on November 17th, 2016, 12:17 am

The slash through the explanation was something that Alex half expected. Not through experience but because it was something he’d done once before when he was by far less skilled. Though the type of strike threw him a little, normally rapiers were stabbing specialized weapons however this one was being used in a fashion similar to a broader bladed beast. His right Steel clad arm shot up and blocked the impact of the strike on the steel of the vambrace.

“So you know how to swing.” Alex spoke calmly shifting his stance ever so slightly, and then faked a strike with his free arm his right hand clad in chain and leather gripped the blade and attempted to yank Walde off of his feet. And into that fake punch which would then become live enough to strike directly into Walde’s stomach. Hard enough to hurt but not injure.
“Be aware because surprise attacks only work once. And they can come at any moment in any format.” The difference in skill was enough to let Walde know that Alex was simply out thinking him. No frills no expert skill on display simply forethought and assumption through what he himself would do in that situation were he his old self. Still though there was a high change that Walde could avoid the strike but only via sacrificing the blade to the stronger man.

“When you use your weapon make DAMNED sure that you have a good speed at both the swing and the retreat. If not then you’re opening yourself up to a myriad of painful possibilities.” If Alex drew his blade ther would be almost no contest nor lesson taught simply a one sided thrashing. That would leave Walde broken and unable to act. This way bladeless he was at least showing how to fight against people who assailed with naught but armour and brute force.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Walde Reiner on November 17th, 2016, 6:28 pm

“So you know how to swing.” Walde felt pride at that, even if he held disdain for the majority of knights he at least accepted that they were trained well in the martial skills, and this knight seemed to be a decent guy. "OOF!" even if he is a bit underhanded, not that Walde wasn't guilty of the same. Walde breathed heavily to regain air after the strike to his solar plexus, "ugh, I like you." Walde smiled "I am glad you are willing to take underhanded means, you may be a compatible teacher after all" Walde chuckled "not that I have much choice in the matter,"

“When you use your weapon make DAMNED sure that you have a good speed at both the swing and the retreat. If not then you’re opening yourself up to a myriad of painful possibilities.”

"Or I can slow you down to my speed." As the words fall out of his mouth Walde releases a stomp on Alex's foot and hold his foot on top of Alex's to slow him down, simultaneously Walde attempts to crack the side of his blade on the side of Alex's knee, yet another strange attack for a Rapier. Walde had been stuck hanging around many unsavory types being forced to do demeaning errands, the thing about people like that is they are idiots who are all vying for the top spot a lot of the time that means fighting for it, they were as underhanded in fights as one could get, and there was a similar attempt used by the victor of one of these fights, except with a rod of iron not the flat of a blade.
Walde Reiner
A person in a place.

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on November 17th, 2016, 7:08 pm

Feeling the weight of a person atop the steel over his feet was something interesting. An underhanded tactic to be sure but then Alex was coated in steel from the shoulders down right now as he’d opted not to wear his helm today. Then came the strike at his knee from the side. The impact was enough to make him falter a moment but all Walde had done was leave his torso unguarded.

“If you’re going to slow someone down, then make sure you can protect yourself.” Alex shifted his arms slightly and drew his elbow towards Wald’s chest again. Aiming to knock the wind out of him. One of the things Alex had been subject too. Provided he could avoid it he wasn’t going to injure Walde just beat the lessons into him.

“Also if you’re going to stand on my foot then make sure you’ve got enough balance.” Alex slid his foot back pulling Walde’s weight with it and then came the donkey punch to the back of Walde’s shoulder blades. Whether it hit or not wasn’t the point. It was just to show that given the outcome of the placement of the two of them, that the more skilled of the two would often hold the upper hand.

“And if you’ve a blade of a certain style use it in that style. Rapiers are built for thrusting and limited cutting. Using it like a bludgeon is just going to snap your blade.” Alex then stepped back bout to gain ground and give Walde a chance to both recover and digest the information. Whilst simultaneously drawing the blades from his belt. The twin bastard swords enough to make most back off at the sheer sight. “And now comes the part where I see how good you are at dodging.”

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes