The Snow Stops Here

Morwen reveals that she will not spread winter across Mizahar this year.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

The Snow Stops Here

Postby Prophet on December 1st, 2016, 3:41 am

90th of Fall, 516 AV
21st Bell

The goddess drummed her fingers against the vanity made of ice stone. The repetitive rolling switched back and forth between the thumping of fingertips and the tapping of nails but the rhythm remained consistent. Frosted eyes shifted about her lavish dwelling, the outer chamber to her bedroom. It was adorned in silken cords that held translucent drapes which not only caught light but magnified it. Large furniture was arranged in such a way that several guests could be comfortable in various positions around the space.

Morwen pounded away at the smooth surface as pressure was passed from her pinkie through til her index finger before starting over once more. Her ears had tuned in to a story being relayed that was beyond troubling. When the young bard finished, he rose to take his leave but was quickly halted by a very large man –no doubt, a kelvic polar bear. The queen rose to her feet and stood still a moment to admire the way the sequins in her dress cast glittering gold flecks around her pallid decorum. A sigh slipped through plump lips that hesitated to form a pout.

As bleak as winter can be, the incarnate deity was almost always happy. She loved her home, adored her people and relished every moment of her matriarchal status. Thus, when sadness found its way into her heart, the Ice Queen always felt out of place within the emotion. Morwen harrumphed and spun on her bare heel then marched over to the disheveled performer. Graceful fingers lighted upon his shoulder, the touch drawing his gaze to meet her own which was fierce yet compassionate. “Sit and rest, unyana.” (Unyana is an affectionate Vani term for son) With grace, she eased him back into the large chaise then slipped past her guard. “See that he is well cared for and needs nothing.”

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

The palace hall was lined with Vantha all waiting to see their queen. This was going to be the last big party until Morwen returned from her yearly duties of spreading the wonders of winter to all of Mizahar. While it was a party, it was only half as much fun as the one the snow buddies would throw when she returned at the beginning of spring.

Music filled the air and members of Icewatch used their Ice reaving to shape sculptures in time with the tunes. People laughed and children played or listened to stories that were told with great fervor. The whole of Avanthal was in attendance and no expenses were spared. Food stretched on from table to table in a huge buffet and mirrors bounced the dancing lights of the aurora into every corner. The dizzying environment was, at first glance, overwhelming but it seemed to all fit together well.

A sudden hush fell over the massive ballroom and all eyes turned to the shimmering image of a dark-haired woman in a gold dress. Her hair was done up in the perfect combination of curls and mess with strands falling in just the right places to accent an elegant neck, high cheekbones and cute ears adorned in skyglass jewelry. Eyes as blue as the permafrost met the partygoers with twinkles and a smile though anyone could see the warm grin was missing its normal luster. As Morwen made her way to a stage fashioned after one of the ice flows along the Northern Sea, the room seemed to hold its breath. The gait of divinity was flawless, effortless and alluring. The simple switch in her walk seemed to be fueled by a natural grace so enchanting that it didn’t cause envy –only wonder and admiration.

Near the podium, the ice queen bowed to her guests but did not ascend the final three steps. Instead, she stood to the side and used the magnificent sculpture of the structure to create a means of contact with her people. Morwen looked around with sympathetic eyes and soaked in all of emotions that gazed upon her. Tiny droplets of water pooled at the cusp of her lower eyelids but were chased away with a blink. As they rolled off her cheeks, the water froze solid and fell catching the faintest glimpses of light until they shattered upon the floor. Morwen spoke but her cheerful tone was replaced with cold resolve.

“Gratitude and peace to you, my friends.” Her projection was a bit off and so she cleared her throat and spoke louder. “I will not dance around what burdens my heart. I can see the concern on your faces and I stand here to say that you need not fear.” The more she spoke, the more Morwen began to move around. Her radiant form slipped from the stage and began to weave among the crowd but she grew louder with every statement like the building of a storm before a blizzard. “I am your queen but I am also a goddess and have made this place my home. I have recently learned that there are those who would seek to do us harm and I, my good people, will not allow that to happen.” Everywhere the Ice Queen walked, the Vantha created space for her like a spotlight trailing the lead in a production. “On the tundra, a group of bandits and rogue mages have declared themselves to be our enemies. In secret, they worked against us, harmed our neighbors and ravaged the noble creatures of the wilds. Again I say to you- I cannot stand idle for these offenses. I will remain in Avanthal until this problem has been handled.” Gasps echoed across the room.

Morwen spun upon the bare skin of her heel and headed back towards the stage. “We will find these people and seek a peace. Not only will we pursue an end to the nonsensical acts but we will establish our city as the pinnacle of reason and truth.” Skin as smooth and pale as ivory was revealed when a leg, lean and muscular, escaped through the slit of her dress which ran to the thigh. Morwen climbed up to the podium and used her final words to stir the patriotism within those assembled. She tugged at their hearts and bolstered their souls. “I am your queen and you are my people. When we work together there is nothing we cannot do. These people are lost but we will show them the way.” She raised her hand as a sign of strength and cheers followed her actions. Amidst the uproar, the goddess whispered to herself so that no one else could hear.

“We will show them the way.”

Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)