Weapons aren't Toys. (Alex)

part II of Finding a Proper Foothold

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Infilia Snowsong on January 5th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Continuation

“Sixteen. It’s a number. And as for that blade you want to loop the belt over your shoulder.” A number? Infilia wondered what a number was in common. Though, her track of thought was lost as Alex told her how to handle the sheath of the Shamshir, it turned out he's quite observant, and Infilia somehow didn't like it. It made her feel slightly awkward, embarrassed, she slung it over her shoulder, and under her arm, her hand resting above the middle of the sheath lightly.

"Oh." She said, looking at the man as the two continued on, through the streets.

“I’m more than willing to teach you. Though. I wouldn’t mind learning some of your language in return.”Her, teach... Infilia isn't a teacher. She gets embarrassed when she's trying to show one of the younger Vanthas how to play a small tune, or tell stories. She commonly gets shy when she' s playing at the Red Diamond Tavern back in Avanthal. She wasn't sure if she were fit to teach Alex Common, but she could start trying. Right... at least, she's more comfortable around Alex than a perfect stranger.

"Okay. But, take... time." She paused, "Also singing, practice more you must." She said with a quiet whisper, as she followed Alex's lead at keeping things at a low. She was pretty close to Alex by this point, not exactly touching him, but close enough where the sheath of the Shamshir could touch him.

"Well if you want me to train you the best idea would be to find somewhere empty that I can teach you in.” Empty? This whole city is crawling with people, how on Mizahar will they find a place that's empty. In the distance, Infilia stood on her toes, trying to get a better look of the city, there seemed to be something fuzzy going on some feet down. Alex lead the two down some more passageways that leads towards a set of stairs. Confused, Infilia walked up it anyhow, as she didn't want to lose Alex.

The stairs opened up an open chamber, one squared chamber, and there seemed to be a mat along the floor. “I can teach you here.” Alex spoke, Infilia was confused still, why would Ionu answer to his calling, and not know that he has a Vantha? Most definitely, she might know, but perhaps she's letting Infilia slide? Who would know? "Okay..." She said, Infilia awkwardly had trouble with pulling out the sword after she pulled it off her shoulder. She held the blade with both hands at the hilt, the blade tilted upwards, she took her stance. It wasn't perfect, but she stood with both feet apart from each other.

“Though Infilia, if you want to learn you have to know one thing. You’re going to hurt people. Like it or not, you’ll have too. Otherwise they’ll do worse to you.” Infilia was uncertain, she figured that she would be capable enough to hide whilst outside in Alvadas. She wondered if she can try and go out herself some time, and hopefully not wander into that jungle again. She was silent, almost awestruck as Alex told her about harming people.

"Me use. Last... resort." She paused, arching a brow. "Quick run." She said, she took hold of the blade with her left hand, as she gestured her fingers in a motion to look as if she were running.
“Now if you want to train with me draw your sword, if you have the will.”She nodded, already ahead of Alex, she wanted to know if her positioning was right, was it?
"This good?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by Infilia Snowsong on January 25th, 2017, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Summer Threads - 2/5
1 of these threads are job threads.
Job Threads - 1/2

Note: I am doing what I can to catch up with past job threads. So bear with me please!
Infilia Snowsong
Player

Words: 113820
Joined roleplay: February 29th, 2016, 2:28 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 5th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

Alex Agreed to Infilia’s terms. “Not sure how I sound when I sing. Never really tried.” He spoke with an air of joking truth to it. Though within the empty space that they’d found. Almost like a calm within the storm. Maybe Ionu wasn’t as bad as Alex had initially given credit. Or maybe this was another way to mess with him. Alex couldn’t be sure but it was enough clarity and celerity to give him pause.

Infilia’s words were ones that made him pause a moment. She’d use what he’d teach her as a last resort and otherwise run. A good decision.
“A smart choice. I can only teach you so much so fast. But I can teach you one thing.” Alex watched Infilia draw her sword and ask him for advice. In all honesty it was…Shaky at best. Stepping up behind her and moving her quite literally with his hands he pressed on her shoulders to force her to bend her knees and then with his own legs pushed them further open. He then pulled her blade arm back slightly so the tip was level with her forwards arm. Before pulling her left empty hand behind her back to keep it safe from danger and there in case she’d need to draw her dagger.

Stepping back and away from her he spoke calmly.
“Right take a moment to adjust, and then take a few practice swings. Then you can come and try to hit me.” Alex smiled stepping back a little more. This though wasn’t the usual calm smile no this was closer to one that held a hollow indifference. Almost like he was a different person waiting for the right moment.

He took up a space opposite her waiting for her to move. His hands resting on the handles of his blades. Almost like he was tempting her to come at him.If she did follow his wordings and his orders then he’d show her just how much of a difference in skill there was and what she’d be dealing with if she chose to fight.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Infilia Snowsong on January 6th, 2017, 3:36 pm

“Not sure how I sound when I sing. Never really tried.”Infilia smiled slightly, she shrugged when Alex spoke.
"Practice." She said, looking at the man before her. She was still curious about Alex's intentions, but she didn't want to ask him flat out. She'll wait for the right times, find out why he's in Alvadas, maybe help him out, if she can. With whatever he needs, but Infilia has a few goals in mind that she's taking on at the moment.

One, she only came to Alvadas for one reason, to find her parents. Bring them back to Avanthal so that she could at least feel complete with being in the Snowsong Hold. Second, she needed to learn some self defense, and if she's needed to learn how to use a bigger weapon, she'll gladly do it. Though, if she were willing to survive here in Alvadas, she must take precautions and learn things unrelated to Avanthal now. She must be vigilant. And last but not least, she needs to learn Common. Alex said that he can teach her, but in return, she has to teach him. Infilia was uncertain still, how all of it will work out. She was still interested in seeing how it will take her.

“A smart choice. I can only teach you so much so fast. But I can teach you one thing.”Alex replied to Infilia's suggestion of how she might deal with danger, when things get out of hand. She can always run, she's pretty fast, and Alex hadn't seen her run yet, and she can be quite stealthy also. Fast and stealthy, equals dangerous, but a good combination.
"Hm?" Infilia asked about the one thing that Alex could teach her. She was curious of course.

“Right take a moment to adjust, and then take a few practice swings. Then you can come and try to hit me.”Infilia shrugged unsure how to respond.
"Okay..." She said slowly, holding the hilt of the Shamshir with both hands. She uncomfortably, swung her blade a few times horizontally, swiping it in a quick unclean motion. She practiced back and forth at least a few times, before practicing her thrusts. A Shamshir looked like a bigger version of the angle-knife. Though, less curvy. "Okay, ready." She said.

The Snowsong adjusted her stance, and charged at Alex with fairly dexterous speed. Slashing her sword, at least aiming for Alex. Though, her swing wouldn't be as fast, as she didn't feel sure about hurting the man. She didn't want to hurt him. That seemed to be the problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer Threads - 2/5
Job Threads - 1/2

Note: I am doing what I can to catch up with past job threads. So bear with me please!
Infilia Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 6th, 2017, 9:00 pm

The swings were unsteady, uneven and clearly shaky but it was enough to let him know that this was a novice through and through and he’d have to be careful both for himself and for her sake else he’d do some serious harm without meaning too, or get hurt through something really unexpected. With a sort double worded signal she turned and charged towards him She was admittedly pretty quick but that would only avail her so much.

Alex shifted the position of his grip and then started to move out of the way of the strikes. A wide wild strike. Open and easily dodged also clearly telegraphed. He exhaled slowly leaning back far enough with a half step backwards to let the swing sail through the air between them. And with without a warning he gave off a small smile. This wasn’t his natural smile nor the practiced one he usually wore, this was cold and dissonant.

“When you swing, Swing with aim. Pick a target and strike it. Else you’ll never hit it.” He spoke with his usual soft voice but followed out like a cool mist seemingly pooling around her feet before reaching her ears. And then with a soft slow scrape he pulled his own blades free from their sheathes. The two bastard swords sitting neatly in his hands as he emphasized his point. Swinging with force from his left arm but using it as a feint something pull her attention elsewhere and distract her. Hopefully she’d move her sword to block it and then his right blade would sail in at full speed and he’d thwack her on the backside with a firm smack from the flat of the blade. That was if she didn’t just run away from the strikes or the sight. After all she said that fighting was a last resort didn’t she?

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Infilia Snowsong on January 7th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Once Infilia charged, she instantly regretted the fact that Alex hadn't had his blades out, and that charging should have been an insecure action, and it costed her balance. She fumbled forward a bit, after Alex slyly avoided the move by stepping out of the way. Simple.She though, but she wasn't so sure if that was a tactical decision, or was it plainly obvious to do so?

“When you swing, Swing with aim. Pick a target and strike it. Else you’ll never hit it.” Infilia nodded as she regained her balance. Infilia stepped back as Alex withdrew his two blades. He smirked, Infilia observed, and she flinched into a duck as Alex quickly swung his left blade aiming for Infilia. Her eyes shifted into a malicious tangy orange color as she wasn't prepared, a response of usual anger. Alex used his other blade, and Infilia wasn't ready when he smacked her blade against her right side. It stung, she dropped her guard and lowered her brows, eyeing Alex.

"Hurt." She glared at him and rubbed her side. "Now what?" She said as she stopped the rubbing of her side. If he were to train her, wouldn't they keep going?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer Threads - 2/5
Job Threads - 1/2

Infilia Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 8th, 2017, 4:08 am

Timestamp:

The stark glare of the burning orange rings at him spoke more than he needed to see. Irritation and anger. The sudden dip of her weapon was something that he knew was coming. The short sharp glare at him combined with the stinging word that hung in the air even as she motioned her arm up to rub at the point of impact. Sure he’d hit her hard but not hard enough to leave lasting damage, maybe a bruise for a couple of days nothing more.

“I’m still teaching you.” Alex spoke softly but there was still that line of hardness running through it. “I’m teaching you something important. Be aware. Watch your attacker.” Alex spoke as he lifted his sword slowly at lightly tapped her arm with the flat of the blade. Using his other he tempted her to pick up the sword again.

“If you fight you’re not just going to hurt your attacker you might get hurt.” He took that moment to let infilia slip back into stance. His own swords pointed openly towards her. Yet he didn’t attack with them instead he flipped them and stabbed them into the loose and slowly creaking floorboards. And stepped towards her.

“If you’re angry good. Use it. But don’t let it control you. Know when to run. It will save your life.” He spoke as he made an open handed motion towards Infilia. And then before speaking he slipped behind her and his arms around and over hers. Gripping a hold of her wrists and pressing her form against his own so that he could run through the motions with her.

“Now swing in broad arcs like this.” He led her arms in large open swings but they didn’t start any further up than her shoulder and stopped no lower than her hip. The strokes through the air forming a n X shape then a cross shape. Forming an eight pointed star infront of her. “Keep them tight and swing in that pattern for a few seconds to feel the weight fully. Then get faster every four strokes.” It was the basics of basics for training but after seeing what she’d done in the initial stages this was by far the best way to teach her. He let go of her and stepped back allowing her to practice them on her own, as he gripped his own swords and sheathed one of them. Leaving the one out to show her the pattern again if she needed a refresher.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Infilia Snowsong on January 8th, 2017, 8:08 pm

“I’m still teaching you.”Infilia cocked a brow, her side felt sore already, and Alex had appeared to master maybe three to four weapons at hand. How long did training take him? Infilia wondered, she was uncertain about this fighting process. Though, training seems similar to learning a new language. Infilia is learning a new... device? One that'll help her defend for herself when things go bad and Alex isn't around. She hoped that this crazy nonesense will stop. If Morwen only decided to go back and spreading the Winter season all around Mizahar, things would probably go back to normal. Her people are probably being executed right now, at least some, because they're just Vantha. The Snowsong wanted nothing to do with this, she just wants to be at home. Though, she was afraid that the Vantha hunters might come and bombard her beleoved city and hunt her and the other Vanthas. Or at least, hypothetically speaking, she thought. She shook her head, and registered what Alex said.

"Still... teaching. Me." Infilia responded with a sly smile, her side stinging with pain, she wanted to lift up her shirt and see how bad it is, but it'll not gain her any benefit whatsoever.

“I’m teaching you something important. Be aware. Watch your attacker.” Infilia was confused, was she supposed to watch Alex? Infilia flinched as Alex raised his blade and tapped Infilia on her right arm. It didn't hurt, but then the bard observed when Alex used his other blade to raise hers.“If you fight you’re not just going to hurt your attacker you might get hurt.” The words weren't reassuring her, she didn't feel comfortable hurting Alex. What changed him to liking swords? Was he a kid who liked to fight? Alex was appeared to confuse Infilia, she was conflicted with emotions and she didn't know how to elaborate on her feelings. Her eyes shifted miracously from blues, to purples, and orange. She just couldn't really understand what's happening and it made her hurt inside.

Though she took a deep unsettling breath, and readjusted her stance, nodding over to Alex, signaling him that she was ready. “If you’re angry good. Use it. But don’t let it control you. Know when to run. It will save your life.”
"Alright. Ready, I am." Infilia spoke. She gripped tightly, allowing that anger flow through her, when Alex slapped her, she recalled her parents leaving her and she remembered her times of anger that she spent wishing that they would return. Though, they never did.

They could be dead already, and she'll swear vengeance with anger. Her eyes swirled into a solid orange colour. One that made her feel uncomfortable, but angry at the same time. She waited for Alex's instructions. He had his blades pointed at her though, but he didn't charge at leadt not yet anyway. Alex stepped towards Infilia, but something unexpected had happened, and instead of Alex coming after her, he drilled the blades into the wooden floorboards, and stepped closer to Infilia.

The swordsman made an open handed gesture, and Infilia was caught off guard, her eyes shifting to a mundane purple colour. Now, she wondered what Alex was up to, and she didn't feel comfortable with it. Then, he quickly spun around her and grabbed hold of her wrists. Her muscles were tightened, at first. But, nonetheless, she relaxed as Alex showed her how to swing with her blade, from side to side, slow, smooth arcs, an forming a nearly perpendicular X.

Now swing in broad arcs like this.”The man stated, he also added horizontal and vertical strokes, just to complete the formation of a star. That's how Infilia noted it as. Knowing how to use smooth strokes through the shape of a star. It wasn't hard to forget. She giggled some, and blushed. It was the first time where she could feel relaxed. It was quite... funny in a way. Mostly, because she was being taught by a near perfect stranger. Though Alex was one of the nicest perfect strangers she has met, by far.

“Keep them tight and swing in that pattern for a few seconds to feel the weight fully. Then get faster every four strokes.” Infilia nodded, and Alex released his hood on her and went over to his blades to sheath one and hood the other. Infilia arched a brow once more, but she kept her focused on the strokes. The blade was strangely getting comfortable to her, it seemed lighter. She finished her first star, and decided to move slightly faster. Her wrist twisting in the different angles that Alex showed her. It felt simple, but it felt that knowing how to use a blade wasn't just knowing how to stroke with it. It'll definitely take her some practice... and time. Lots, and lots of time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer Threads - 2/5
Job Threads - 1/2

Infilia Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 8th, 2017, 11:54 pm

He was simply telling her the one thing that was usually kept in the dark. The truth. It didn’t matter how good you were how practiced you were how skilled you were eventually you’d get hurt or you’d hurt someone in a way you didn’t expect too. Thinking back on it Alex decided that it probably was one of the greatest failings when he couldn’t stop his own blade.

The tirade of colours flowing through her eyes for a moment shrouded the whole event in a rather tepid air. He didn’t want to more for that moment for watching the aurora in her eyes. However when they settled back upon the stable and rather he now knew as angry orange he just nodded his head lightly.

Though the moment he spirited himself behind her and tool control of her motions quite literally for a few ticks to show her how to move the blade effectively, he could feel the heavy of her chest with the giggling and hear it clear as day. Perhaps this was a better way to teach someone completely new. To line up behind them and quite literally move them for them so they could get a feel for the motions.

Still though as she followed through on the motions after he’d let go he couldn’t help but see all the flaws in his own teaching. Though it was good to see her slowly and steadily getting the hang of the blade. The patterns got faster and faster but he still kept his own sword out in case she needed a pointer or two.

“I’m sorry for hitting you Infilia.” His voice eventually broke through the silence that had settled in. “It wasn’t meant in a bad way. I just wanted to teach you a hard truth.” He slowly sighed rolling his blade in his hands. The weight of the steel there a constant reminder of just how badly he’d messed up in the past.
“If you don t know the full story, you don’t understand it.” He offered a small reassuring smile with a twinge of genuineness playing at the corners of it. “If you’r sides still hurting in ten chimes I’ll take a look at it to see if I’ve done any real harm.” Again his voice had lost that hard lined edge, this was the usual softer Alex not the combat hardened one that he constrained to fight.

After her fifth rotation of the strikes he brought his blade up to intercept her blade.
“Alright Now I’m going to teach you how to use those swings to block.” His words again slow practiced and chosen very carefully. “Use the swing you want too to block this.” He swing his sword from high in a downward arc towards her a significantly slower pace than he was used to swinging it at, but after all he was teaching a novice or rather a complete beginner how to do the very basics. Once she’d blocked that however he’d change the swing and come from the side at the same speed, and even measured swing that was meant to teach not harm.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Infilia Snowsong on January 9th, 2017, 2:28 pm

“I’m sorry for hitting you Infilia.”Alex apologized. Infilia hadn't ever been hit like that before in her years, she would always do what she's told, and getting hit by the butt of the blade hurts to high hell. It stung still, and Infilia wanted to rub at it, but her guard was down when Alex spoke up.

"Okay, it is. No strong am not." Infilia replied, when she was stating the fact that she's not strong, she didn't mean mentally. She's quite capable with her mentality, and she can control it, at least the majority of the time. Only in stressful situations, when things like this happens, where as she'll lose control.

“It wasn’t meant in a bad way. I just wanted to teach you a hard truth.”Infilia was confused, and her eyes were a swirl of purple. Infilia nodded, as she registered the thought, she took a deep breath and her eyes were a mix of silvery purple hues. “If you’r sides still hurting in ten chimes I’ll take a look at it to see if I’ve done any real harm.” The ten struck her as odd, were they one of those number things Alex told her about, like 16"?
"Ten? Chimes?" Infilia asked in common, her eyes were merely a whole of purple swirls.

Infilia continued with the strokes that Alex had showed her how to defend with. It was either the fourth, or the fifth rotation when Alex brought his blade up and the swords clinked some as his intercepted with hers. Infiilia flinched. She took a deep breath, and her hands were sweating, she looked up at Alex waiting for instructions. “Alright Now I’m going to teach you how to use those swings to block.” He spoke slowly, as Infilia observed and nodded, understanding what he said.
“Use the swing you want too to block this.”

Infilia nodded and stepped back as Alex slowly Infilia raised her blade, it's direction pointed horizontally, point facing outwards on her left, Alex's right. Her palm was under the flat part of the blade, it clinked again as the two blades come across. The metal felt cold on her palm. Then, the swordsman released the force of the blade, and attempted a side swing. The Snowsong twisted her body, and used the blade as Alex came in to deflect the attack. The Shamshir was light, and swift moving, she felt as if she didn't need to hold it too tight to gain control of the blade. Her side stung, but still, she wondered how long she can keep up with Alex.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer Threads - 2/5
Job Threads - 1/2

Infilia Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 9th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Her selection of words was as usual less than great, but somehow he managed to piece together what she’d meant. A strange mix of trying to tell him she was understanding of why he did it, and it was the second part he was a little shaky on but perhaps she’d meant she was able to deal with it? Then her question about the times came across.
“Oh sorry. It’s a measure of time. So ten-” He held up both of his hands openly bracing the blade of his sword in the pinch of his elbow. “-Chimes.” And by that he hoped she’d understand the implication of the time by him then putting his hands together and slowly rotating one of them around like the hands on a clock. Though it would appear that his words fell upon deaf ears as her eyes continued with that purple hue letting him know at least to some degree she was still massively confused. He shook his head lightly as he returned to the things at hand.

The moment his blade made contact with hers the first time he could see that the strikes he’d taught her in a rather simple fashion were starting to set in. A little chink in the motion here or there, but nothing too major. When his second swing made contact he nodded lightly making two more swings one to her left and then one from below again allowing her to choose how she’d block, and letting her pick what she thought was the best option for that moment.
“You’re doing well Infilia.” He spoke slowly and calmly so she could hear the praise in his voice. “Next I’ll teach you how to use foot work.” As he spoke he allowed her a moment to catch her breath slowly starting to circle around her.

“Watch my feet, and I promise I won’t swing.” He spoke with a small smile again practiced and devoid of the emotion behind it but still gentle. He was genuinely sorry for having to land the strike but he needed to teach her how to deal with pain when fighting. It could potentially save her life.

His steps were short and measured enough to make it appear that he was moving at pace, but without sacrificing his footing. And then without warning he changed the angle of his foot and closed the distance to her within a single step almost right up a foot away from her if not a few inches.
“Most people don’t think about how they move to strike. Keep your steps small and even. Then at the end take a big motion to close the gap. Try and copy what I just did, I’ll walk you through it.” He spoke again with that much softer tone leading her through the steps. Almost like he was teaching her how to dance.
“Left, right, left, right, left, and then you turn your right foot when you land and step in with your left.” He spoke though his motions with her showing her almost exactly how to carry on with the motions. And then after the first example he let her carry on with the steps of her own accord.

Taking mental note of the time it’d almost been five chimes since the strike had landed and it should be starting to hurt more now that the initial burst of dampening from the adrenaline would start to ware off. With the force that strike had landed with it’d be starting to throb lightly and bruise. That would add another element of challenge to these steps.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next