Closed Rainy days and acquaintances (Salara)

Liriope and Salara meet again.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Rainy days and acquaintances (Salara)

Postby Liriope on January 7th, 2017, 7:43 pm

9th of Winter,516, early afternoon

Liriope stormed out of the World's end grotto with a indignant huff. She didn't like birds, pesky and wild. Waking up to one in her room wasn't quite the best awakening she had experienced.

A gull had been sitting near her when she awoke, pecking at some of her food with a vacant expression on its face, as if it didn't know what it was doing. Of course it knew what it was doing! She believed that, anyway.

Convinced that the gull had been purposely trying to inconvenience her instead of just trying to find refuge from the rain, she had chased it out of her room and left to find something to do.

The rain was the only issue, it thundered down and splashed onto her, soaking her hair and dress. She pulled her cloak closer to her as she walked with her hair down, it wasn't that bad really, she could survive underwater anyway, but it was still inconvenient.

Hopefully something to do would be found soon, perhaps she'd hear some interesting information, or find a unique person. Maybe she'd go to the library and read a book, hopefully find one with information about hypnotism, or anything about this city.

She had came here to find knowledge after all, a thing that she wanted to know all of. To her, knowledge was the weapon she used against people, and it had worked in her past, so why would it hurt to have more now.

If not she could always go back to the inn and have a drink, anything to get away from the boredom that had crept over her.

Liriope continued to walk aimlessly, in a random direction. She still didn't know her way around the city, and so had ended up not knowing which direction to go. After being lost for a while, she decided she would go wherever her steps took her.

Last edited by Liriope on May 4th, 2017, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Emotions are the fool's leader, and the genius' pawn."
Open for threads, just pm me.
Liriope
Player

Words: 13687
Joined roleplay: December 22nd, 2016, 10:44 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on January 8th, 2017, 11:49 pm

Salara had woken early to take advantage of a final chance to hunt before the expected rains set in. She’d heard the stories about mutant wildlife in the forest of the Zastoska Mountains but her recent forays through Mirahil Pass had only turned up increasingly rare critters of the natural persuasion. Today was her first successful hunt. Having lain in wait motionlessly for bells near an occupied burrow her patience had been rewarded and her belly now warmed around fresh raw coney meat. The animal had seemed normal enough to her; except that at this time of season it should have already developed a thick layer of fat and rich fur for protection against winter’s cold. Likewise, temperatures hadn’t yet dropped enough to kill the more hardy parasitic bugs leaving its thin flea-bitten hide more than useless.

It had been necessary for her to travel a disturbing distance from town to find active game trails so she hadn’t gotten back before the rains set in. Clutching her cloak tight it was hardly holding back the wet and the only consolation keeping her spirits high was the lingering taste of salty blood in her mouth. As she returned to Zeltiva through the upper foothills of the Old Quarter she imagined how nice it would have been to feel gorged. Gods knew there was plenty of fresh water, she thinks while blowing a drizzle of rain into tiny spray off of the tip of her nose with a loud PFFFT. If only there had been more meat she could have tucked herself away for several days without leaving what was looking like a much more comfortable room than it ever had.

Pulling her face more deeply into her hood she hurries home past the warm glow of lanterns from an establishment that in more kind weather would appreciate a fabulous view overlooking the bay. It was a moment of not paying attention. How many other fools could there be out in weather like this after all? So she was taken by surprise at a staggeringly hard collision. Grappling back and forth with the accoster for balance she finally manages to pull them both up after sloppily stumbling around - once to their knees.

“Beg pardon,” she offers politely once they are both upright releasing what might be a painfully tight grip on the other’s shoulders. Looking at her fellow soggily soaked fool she recognizes the familiar pale features and cool blue eyes of, “Liriope?” Without asking permission she clutches Liriope’s upper arm to guide her up under the sparse protection of the business’s recessed threshold over which hangs signage identifying 'The Quill’s Rest.' Pushing back her hood, her eyes reflect a golden glow from the lanterns’ light, “Are you alright?”
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Liriope on January 9th, 2017, 5:29 pm

She fell to the ground with a thud, her mind half ready to attack whoever had knocked her over, not that she was a good fighter. Instead she calmly got up, wincing at the slightly painful grip on her shoulder.

Upon looking up, she found herself faced with someone who she recognised, though from where it took her a moment to recollect. This was the girl she had met in the World's end grotto. Liriope straightened herself up and let herself be led into cover.

Salara clearly remembered her as well, as she addressed her with her name, more of a question than a statement though. To which she nodded, confirming it was her.

Clearly she had been out in the rain as well, her hair and clothes drenched from the rains that continued to thunder down. They had really began to be an issue, as much as it didn't cause her harm, it was beginning to get in her nerves greatly.

The other spoke, asking her if she was alright. Either because of the rain, or the stumble she had just took because of this fool. Her thoughts still slightly bitter after being knocked over, she, instead of kicking Salara with her bladed boots, decided to be nice. After all, she was new to this city, enemies weren't something she could afford to have currently.

Liriope nodded gently. "I am fine, thank you. Are you alright? You fell as well."

It wasn't a question she would usually ask, but over the years she realised that people tended to ask that after someone had been injured or suffered some kind of misfortune. It felt odd to ask it, why should she care whether this person was harmed?

Liriope spoke again, her tone smooth and cool, as it always was.
"How come you're out in this storm then? I didn't really expect anyone to bother going anywhere today."

She hoped running into this girl hadn't interrupted her plans for a peaceful day, but that was no matter. Perhaps she would be entertaining to speak to, more entertaining than reading a book anyway.
Liriope
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on January 13th, 2017, 2:16 am

Glad she hadn’t damaged the pale lady through her lack of attention Salara wasn’t aware of how close she had come to a drubbing. She made an ineffectual attempt to wipe some of the clinging mud from her own dress and cloak but only managed to smear it further. After another swipe to be sure she finally gave it up as a lost cause exasperated. “I hate being wet. I thought it would be a good idea to get some hunting in before the rains came but the storm hit sooner than I had anticipated.” She didn’t explain that like many wild creatures she could, to an extent, instinctively sense changing weather patterns. “I really didn’t expect anyone out today either,” she admits ruefully, “and obviously wasn’t watching where I was hurrying.”

Salara yearned to get dry and was about to bid adieu till more tranquil weather when a jag of lightning and thunder reverberated around them and the rains amazingly sheeted down harder than ever. Thunder in winter? Had she been feline, her ears would have been pressed close to her skull in displeasure; instead she only winced and grimaced. “Perhaps it would be prudent to take cover?”

Knowing they stood in the threshold of a business but unclear what business it might be she opened the door feeling simultaneously pleased and apprehensive. She was about to trod sloppy mud and wet – at least she didn’t smell like damp fur - into the warmth and relative calm of some type of gathering hall. The pleasant smells of wood polish, candle wax, and a musty hint of book leather and paper rolled through the open door leaving her with a distinct impression of luster and old knowledge.

It seemed Liriope and she were not the only ones seeking shelter from the storm as several small groups of students whispered and chatted busily in large comfortable seats around a merry fire. She watched a fellow, who must have been an instructor in formal robes with a stack of tomes tucked under one arm, walk past the small groups with a decidedly pinched look upon his face. A polished bar seemed to be popular as students sitting on high metal chairs were being served steaming beverages. 'Well-come to the Quill's Rest' and ‘Kelp Tea = 2sm’ was hand-written in white chalk on a small blackboard hung from a near column. Someone had creatively drawn a mug with squiggles of steam in different colors next to the listing. Light instrumental music was being played softly in the background but she couldn’t see the musician from the doorway.

In the back a grand curling staircase led up to a balcony circling the lobby. It seemed there were great, hinged windows up above which were currently darkened silver with streaks of heavy rain and the occasional flash of lightening. To their right was a small foyer with a myriad of dripping and dry cloaks hanging over a few piles of mucked up footwear. To their left there appeared to be small rooms with tables and chairs open to the lobby yet divided by artistically painted screens for small privacy. The nearest three-sided room was unoccupied. “Just the ticket,” she turns to Liriope, “Would you care to join me for a cup of tea? It’s the least I can do after landing us in the muck. Besides,” she looked outside apprehensively, “I’d really like to dry out a bit.”

Without waiting for response Salara entered the foyer to hang her cloak, shrugged her pack to her shoulder and stepped gently – to avoid shaking more dirt and water loose than necessary – to the first small nook leaving a dappling trail of mess along the way regardless. She pulled out a chair; it slid so smoothly on the polished wood floor, she noticed absently, and settled in as if to stay awhile. “Truth, I had hoped to run across you soon.” She encouraged Liriope with a flick of her hand to take the opposite chair.
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Liriope on January 13th, 2017, 6:26 pm

She looked over at the girl, who was attempting to explain how she had ran into her. "Perhaps my idea to go outside in this weather wasn't the best one, I understand how you wouldn't expect to see someone out here."

A loud thunder rang out and the Konti jumped in surprise. She would of continued walking if it was just rain, but lightning wasn't the best sign. Luckily the girl suggested going inside, an idea Liriope agreed with. "Yes, it would be."

They walked into the building that they stood by. Looking around it seemed to be full of students. Perhaps it was a place of knowledge, if the amount of books and writers here was an indication.

She stood up straight, despite her soaked clothes and the dirt on them from where she had fallen, as she walked in and looked around. The look on her face was almost one that looked like she thought she was above everyone. Which she did.

Liriope supposed that scholars were better than the rest of the rabble she had come across though, after-all, she appreciated knowledge and smarts. It was one of the few things she valued in people.

She hadn't known much about this city before she had came here, but a place where knowledge was important had attracted her to it. It was a nice change of pace from the other places she had been, the busyness of Syrilas, and the chaos of Alvadas. It was even different than the calm in Mura.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the girl's speech, it seemed that she had found a place to sit and was offering her a cup of tea. Kelp wasn't really her chosen drink, but she wouldn't turn it down when offered.

"It would be good to have something warm to drink while drying off."

She tried to sound grateful, though she didn't really manage to have her voice sound that way. Her voice had come through sounding cold as it usually did. She then realised the girl probably hadn't heard it, as she had began walking without waiting for a response.

Liriope followed, hanging her claok and walking over to the table, sitting down in the chair. Salara mentioned that she had wanted to run into her, and she gave a curious look.

"How come? I don't imagine there's much reason for people to want to run across me."

Her tone this time was surprised and curious, as she genuinely was. She wasn't sure what this girl could want from her.

Liriope
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on January 16th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Salara, head tilted inquisitively, watched her companion place her cloak and sit. She had heard the cool reserve, no, she would not call it insincerity; but certainly there had been several times there seemed a distance about this woman. Not unheard of to be so with strangers, yet, she began to wonder whom the right kind of person might be for the not-even-half-baked idea that was trying to be born in her brain. All she knew for sure was that it would require a certain level of trust. But in the moment of a long blink, hearing Liriope’s surprise to be sought after, she realized right now it would be nice to just talk with her and if it came up - this inkling of an idea - then perhaps the two of them could find some commonality.

She smiled as Liriope pulled up her chair, “I’ve spent nearly all my time here either in the wilds or pacing the smallness of my room. I haven’t ventured much among the people and I have to admit it was refreshing to see a face known to me. What better chance than the advantage of a storm,” her words are emphasized by a timely thunder rumble, “to make better acquaintance?”

“Boy,” her voice snags a student passing their nook, “Fetch us two mugs for a copper apiece?” Shuffling to a stop the young student flips his head in an effort to relocate stringy fore-bangs currently blocking his vision. His student robes are tidy and dry but for a damp ring of flaking mud around the bottom hem. “Make it two for two, lady, and you’ve a deal,” he grins insufferably. She gives him a look of considered scrutiny, “Done,” taking the bargain she reaches into her pack to toss him four silvers and a copper. “The other three upon delivery if you please.” With another ineffectual swing of his head still not clearing his eyesight, she watches that he scampers to the bar and not out the door.

Turning back to her companion she continues, “But I can’t imagine that you find all this moisture and wet to be intolerable? I swear I think it would be easier if one did have gills in this weather.” She’d never met a Kondi before and had to admit the idea of gills was intriguing. Would Kondi be considered amphibian? Perhaps that wouldn’t be a good question to ask a tiny voice of tact whispers ever so rarely. Two steamy mugs land with a solid thunk between them. “Three bits to ya, lady,” the boy holds out open palm into which she places his earnings. He nods, bobs his forelock, and wanders on to reclaim what scholarly pursuit or lack-there-of he had been about.

Pulling her mug close, Salara wraps long nailed fingers around its heated sides and sniffs appreciatively at the swirling steam above it trying to not look at the distasteful color of kelp tea – watery brown-green. “Have I heard correctly that Kondi are known for their abilities as prophets or seers?” She would imagine, if it were true, that some people might distrust a race that could perhaps know more than they should about an individual; and as such, Liriope might not be accustomed to someone welcoming her company. Trust should go both ways, she supposed.
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Liriope on January 16th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Liriope was, intrigued, at the least at the girls notion of wanting to make acquaintance with her. She didn't consider herself someone that people would want to befriend. However, thinking about it, it did make sense. A friendly face, even when faked, was always something that people liked to see.

"Yes it would be nice to make acquaintance, especially seeing as this storm doesn't seem to be calming any time soon." She smiled calmly, before a boy passed by them, and Salara grabbed him.

She offered the boy some money to go and fetch some tea for the both of them, and he looked upon her with a grin and haggled with her for more. The girl agreed and then the student went off to presumably fetch their drinks.

Salara continued, asking about the rain and her gills. "It's not intolerable, per se, but it isn't the nicest of things either. I suppose the gills help."

The boy returned with their tea, a murky green watery liquid in a warm mug. She wrapped her hand around it gently, taking a sip to warm herself. The taste wasn't as bad as she has expected.

The girl, seemingly a curious person from the amount of questions she had asked, question her about her abilities as a seer, or a prophet.

Liriope took another sip of her Kelp tea before answering Salara, her tone cold, but gentle at the same time.

"You have heard correctly, we are definetly known for that. Our goddess is Avalis, after all."

For a moment, she considered whether it would be worth telling the girl about the Vision water and the gift that was given to them. Liriope decided to share the information, for no reason other than to see what the girl thought about it.

"We are all born with a unique gift as well, one where we can see into the future, or past. Sometimes we can just see trivial things as well, while others have a more useful gift."

Liriope
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on January 17th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Taking a sip of her kelp tea, Salara doesn't understand why it seemed so popular except that it might be better than the beer in this city. Upon her palate it tasted green and was that a hint of fish? “I’m not familiar with Avalis,” she admits frankly as is seemed Liriope expected her to naturally recognize her goddess. “In fact I don’t really know much about any of the religions. I’ve always depended on my own strengths to get me by; and so if something went wrong I could only blame myself. I cannot comprehend a nebulous ‘being’ giving gifts or lending guidance or punishment based upon my choices.”

Discussing religion could be a sensitive topic; yet always ready to learn new things, Salara was certainly interested in knowing more and it seemed her companion was comfortable sharing at least some of her heritage. She pushes her mug aside, situates herself more comfortably in her chair, sets her elbows upon the table and rests her chin in closed fists - an attentive audience.

“So if one can see into the future it would be logical that they would see things that no one else could know. I wonder can you see things in the past that no one else knows?” Salara tries to steer the conversation and Liriope might gain an inkling of why she is so interested, “Could you see into someone’s past if they don’t even remember it themselves?” It was a long stretch to be sure, even if her Kondi friend had been granted such a powerful gift, so she wouldn’t be surprised to be disappointed.
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Liriope on January 17th, 2017, 6:58 pm

It seemed odd to her that someone wouldn't know much about religion, though she supposed that Salara just might not have been educated about these things. Perhaps this was a common thing though, as she was used to people recognising the gods or goddesses by name. Elaborating slightly, she briefly explained the Goddess. "Avalis is the Goddess of Divination."

Liriope took another slow sip of her Kelp tea, a taste which she had grown more used to after drinking some of it, and listened to what Salara told her. It seemed as if she was interested in her gifts, though it seemed like something of a personal interest than curiosity.

"I am sure there are Konti who can do such a thing, some of them are blessed with extremely useful gifts such as those. I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find one though, as I don't remember ever meeting one with that particular gift "

She smiled calmly, her webbed hands still wrapped around the warm mug. Liriope hadn't many a thing that could get her to play into what someone else wanted, (at least she thought so) however she was extremely curious of what this girl was going to talk about next. So she divulged.

"My gift isn't as much to see into the past or future, it is useful still, though more on the side of information."

Hopefully, the girl would continue onto why she was so interested in the gifts her race had. As Liriope had become intrigued by the possibilities of why she was asking so much. However it could also be possible that she asked about Liriope's gift, she was less keen to share that, but she wasn't that reluctant to.
Liriope
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on January 20th, 2017, 6:54 pm

“Oh, I see.” Salara sits back with a slight tone of disappointment to learn that Konti gifts rarely ran in the realm she has asked of or if they even reflected such a possibility. Sipping her tea, she considers telling Liriope more of her personal situation. She wasn’t even certain she was ready to tackle her long lost memories. It had always been just the way things were, so why start turning old graves? Only now, coming to this land and finding that there might be a way, was she even considering trying to break past her memory barriers. Not only that but there were many types of people out there, good and bad, with many different skills and knowledge sets. Would it be dangerous to reveal more about herself to this new acquaintance?

In moments she decides that whatever Liriope might think or know couldn’t be a threat to her in regards to her long gone past. What harm could come of such a casual conversation? With decision made she smiles across the table, wiping her hand through the air as if their talk was inconsequential. “It sounds as if your goddess is very generous to give such gifts to her followers. It must be an amazing feeling to know someone out there is always looking out for you. But I’d imagine you would wonder why I ask.”

Taking another sip she looks over the rim of her mug through the steam for a moment before seeming to change their conversation. “Did you know that my kind is often enslaved at a very young age? It’s true. Most of us are not considered valuable but for the menial service we can provide. Many believe that we are not as intelligent as other races, but it’s not true. I was fortunate to have a master who was not kind, but did recognize that I could learn and function at a higher level.” Her words are without regret or pain so should not elicit pity or sorrow from being heard. “But no sense in boring you with those details.” She continues, “But for me, what I do not know is of my life before becoming a slave. You see, I know I came from Sunberth because I’ve been told I have a Sunberthian accent. But I do not know any more than that.”
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Next