Closed Rainy days and acquaintances (Salara)

Liriope and Salara meet again.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Rainy days and acquaintances (Salara)

Postby Liriope on January 20th, 2017, 10:35 pm

The girl sounded disappointed as she spoke, so it could of been that she had a reason she was being so inquisitive, as Liriope had suspected.

Liriope drank the last of her tea, her hands still holding onto her mug though, savouring the last of the warmth. She spoke of Avalis, seemingly casually talking of how great it must be to have gifts from a generous goddess.

In truth, Liriope wasn't that bothered by her own god and goddess. She had to give them some credit, after all they were why her race was here. An outcast didn't need to worship them though, and that is what she considered herself as being. She would worship the more useful of the gods. It didn't matter to her if she had been raised to worship them or not.

Salara changed the conversation quite oddly. Speaking of her race. While the girl spoke, Liriope realised that she was a Kelvic. This didn't change her opinion drastically of the girl, as it would of with some people. She already considered most people to be below her, so why would someone's race change that?

The fact that the girl had gotten away from a lifetime of slavery though, impressed Liriope slightly. It would have been hard to do that, at least she assumed it would be.

Her tone was still quite indifferent when she spoke, but not cruel or cold as the girl told her of her being a slave. "You were a slave, and you wish to find out things about your past life?"

She smiled, chuckling slightly. "I assume you were curious if my gift could help you? It won't be able to find your memories, I'm afraid. Mine is certainly not able to see into the past like that."

Liriope paused for a second, taking a breath before continuing. "Perhaps I could still help you, I wasn't planning to tell this, but I suppose it wouldn't harm."

The kelvic sitting across from her certainly wouldn't be able to use the information about her gift against her, and Salara might tell her something useful, eventually.

"My gift is to see the person that one cares for or loves the most. Its quite an interesting one, I'd say. Useful aswell, as I have worked as an interrogator in the past."

"Emotions are the fool's leader, and the genius' pawn."
Open for threads, just pm me.
Liriope
Player

Words: 13687
Joined roleplay: December 22nd, 2016, 10:44 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on February 2nd, 2017, 1:43 am

Salara stills as distressed silence permeates around her upon hearing the revelation of Liriope’s gift, ‘…to see the person that one cares for or loves the most.’ Her eyes squint within a blink, hiding the sharp daggers felt within her clutched heart that would otherwise resonate within her gaze. The only one she could, would wish to see - the one she loved the most - was truly gone from her. Vivid pain and deep depression over the loss of her bond-mate was only just buried beneath the surface of her ability to continue functioning each day. This was not something she could share with anyone but the closest of companions; and perhaps not even then, were there such people still in her life. Without breath she watches the dregs of her tea settle to the bottom of her mug. “Would that tea leaves truly provided clairvoyance,” she wishes in cryptic whisper nearly under her breath.

Her chest heaves through a silent sigh as she continues looking into her mug with a forced smile that smoothens as she speaks, “That is certainly a great gift to have. But in my case, the memories I cannot find are of those whom I would have greatly wished to love, but have never known.” Her gaze rises candidly to meet Liriope’s who might still see some lingering anguish therein, but may assume it from deep in Salara’s past, “I know nothing of my parents, you see? My memory begins when I was little more than a kit within my first Kelvic year. I remember the branding.”

Swiveling in her seat she lifts her long mane to show Liriope the now fuzzed and faded black tattoo of the screaming cat inked indelibly at the base of her skull. “I do not think a child’s brief love unremembered would be enough after all this time.” Inwardly she shies at the love the Konti’s gift would actually lead her to instead. “I don’t even remember my ‘adoption’ by Cerilius Krenshaw who marked me so as his slave. Yet I can only imagine the tragedy that would have caused me to forget where I came from, who I really am, and those who surely loved me most.”

Shaking off any lingering melancholy she pushes her mug in circles swirling the dregs into a whirl before moving it to the side, “After all this time I’d imagine that it is just as well for what is buried to stay that way.”
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Liriope on February 15th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Her words caused the girl to look slightly distressed, and a more curious and less tactful person might have enquired to why. Sometimes it was better for Liriope to not pursue what she desired to know, as it had led her into trouble before.

Salara told her that she couldn't even remember her parents, that her memory begun at the time she was branded. The story could have been told to gain sympathy, though whether it was or not, the konti didn't even begin to feel any for the kelvic. It simply wasn't in her nature to feel things for people, she didn't understand it at all.

"It is a shame then, though whether I can help you or not, I assure you can trust me."

Liriope layered the djed on her voice, and turned to make eye contact with the girl as she did so. It was harmless really, but trust was a useful thing to have. Perhaps she used hypnotism too freely, recently, as she had found herself using it to get her way often.

Truly, she enjoyed using it, it was thrilling to have another thing to do, and half the time people didn't know that it was happening. Liriope was manipulative, there was no doubt about that. If one was to speak to her, when she was being honest, they would know.

However, she had to wonder why the girl wanted to meet her parents. They could have sold her to the person who she was a slave to, or they could have abandoned her.

"Why do you want to find out about them anyway?"
Liriope
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on February 20th, 2017, 7:09 pm

‘…I assure you can trust me.’ A smile curves her lips, what a kind thing for Liriope to say to someone so newly met. Whether it was truth or not, Salara was feeling more comfortable. Anything emotional in her needing to know who her parents really were passed long ago with the forlorn longing of a slave child in the depth of night wishing for a different story. And then again later, through times of hunger, fear, and danger, she may have keened for family as she struggled to sneak day-by-day along the edges of society. The time for imagining what her life could have/should have been was long past –fairy tales don’t come true after all. As an adult she’d gained and lost so much that the opportunity was more curiosity for an unsolved puzzle - a missing piece of herself; but even so, being encouraged to share her tale felt like a release with the effect of Liriope’s voice.

Head cocked to one side then the other Salara considers the question. “With such a gift for searching as is yours, I’d imagine you have heard multitudes of reasons why people would want to seek others in their lives.” She returns Liriope’s gaze frankly, “But for me, I can only believe something traumatic was repressed because my undeveloped young mind could not have survived for the knowing. But since then I’ve seen or experienced a depth of depravities that goes beyond anything I could imagine; yet in the end, with sound mind and body, I live. It isn’t so much about finding out what happened or who or where they might be but the fact that I cannot remember. Yet it goes beyond curiosity to more of a desire to be complete by knowing from whence I came.”

“So I ask myself, ‘Can one truly know oneself if a part of them - the very foundation - is unknown?’” She shrugs, “It may matter much or very little; but this I cannot answer until I can remember.” Pausing a moment in contemplation she becomes distracted by the storm outside. “It sounds as if the storm’s deluge has slacked somewhat.” Then she turns back to Liriope to the topic at hand, “But there’s no sense in dwelling on it, eh? Not until I can find some way, if there is any, to break through. I’ve lived with the unknown this long so I’m sure I can continue to do so.”
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Liriope on March 12th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Her hypnotism seemed to work on Salara, or maybe she just believed her words. Perhaps she was gullible, or merely wanted someone to trust. Either way, Lirope was glad that the girl began to talk more.

The kelvic's words were true, over the years she had heard a lot of different reasons. People would usually seek out others and seek companionship, they seemed to crave being near other people. Lirope had always wondered why she didn't want it as much, and as a young child she had concluded that it was because she was above others. That was why she didn't seek others.

Samara continued on, telling how she believed that something had been repressed, something traumatic. 'a desire to be complete', that was a reason the konti hadn't heard before. It was intriguing, that she believed she wouldn't know herself. Looking at the girl sitting across from her, she wondered how well that she really knew herself.

"You're right in the fact I have heard many reasons, though it is mainly just a simple human desire for love. People have sometimes deluded themselves into thinking they love someone who they don't." She spoke after Samara had finished, her words unintentionally coming across as cool again. "Besides all that, I'm sure that you'll be fine even if you do not find out."
Liriope
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on March 17th, 2017, 12:40 am

“Deluded love? That’s an aspect I wouldn't have considered being an outcome from the effect of your gift. Truly I only considered the happy aspects of looking for someone most loved; but to unexpectedly recognize another – stronger love… It would be revealing to say the least. I see how it could be useful in convincing oneself that their attempt to love the wrong person is misguided. Such information, in a timely fashion, could avoid a drudgery of disappointments and frustrations for many a mismatched pair.”

Looking at Liriope with new eyes she felt it was no wonder the Konti seemed so cold. Having to deal with the emotional drama the recipients of her gift must go through would be maddening if one had an empathetic core. Emotion would just feed on emotion until everyone burnt up. She wasn’t sure though, if she’d want trade the adrenal liveliness of emotional response for the cool calculation in Liriope’s demeanor. Her expression goes pensive before an ironic smirk twists her lips as she recalls two or a few over-the-top emotional outbursts she would have been better off without and adjusts her thought, …not all the time anyway.

As they spoke, Salara had noticed students ebb as they wander from the tavern taking advantage of the slackening rain. It was getting late and the coney meat in her belly warmed by kelp tea was beginning to make her drowsy. “It seems I’ve talked all evening about myself and haven’t had a chance to hear much about you.” The end of her polite apology is muffled by a squelched yawn. “But it has been a better evening than I anticipated and I hope we get a chance to visit again soon. I’m sure I’ll see you around town.” She slides her chair back and rises.

Leading the way to the cloakroom she comments over her shoulder, “I’m glad the rain has lightened. I think I’ll stay drier heading home if I don’t put that wet cloak back on!” As she reaches for hers a sandaled toe catches on a muddy pile of footwear and she tumbles into the rack knocking several soggy cloaks to the floor including her own. “Drat!” She growls annoyed, now muddier yet, and grabs her garment from the pile in a wad across her forearm. Careful to not smudge her new mud on her new friend as she passes, Salara turns back with a sheepish grin and warns, “Watch your step,” then exits the Quill’s Rest.

It had been very early morning, before the torrential rains started, since she’d been home. Opening the door of her flat she yelps startled when a brownish grey shadow darts out the door across her toes. “Rat!” She could identify that cowardly scamper even if she were blind. “Oh, how I hate rats!” Stepping into her single room she was appalled to find it fouled and torn far more than a single rat could do on its own. Her nose wrinkles in disgust as another two dart out past her before she slams the door so no others would escape as easily. This night wasn’t going to end soon; because filthy rats or not, they were fresh meat when fresh meat was rare and right here for the pickings.

Before beginning to disrobe to allow the feline its natural inclination for prey, she shakes her cloak out to hang it far from rodents’ reach and a dark blue bundle hits the floor with a moist smack. Picking it up she shakes it loose revealing a student’s worn but hardy cloak. Her eyes glint seeing the embroidered university emblem. Really not a bad night at all.

Naturally very agile creatures, cougars weren’t clumsy often…

OOCDeducted 4.04 sm for Kelp tea and tip.
Request to Add University cloak 18.75 sm? (embroidery modifier & 75% Good condition?).

Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Karyk on June 7th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Liriope
Skills
Socialization: 3
Subterfuge: 1
Hypnotism: 1

Lores
Lore:
Salara: Hates Getting Wet
Kelp Tea Isn't That Bad
Salara: Doesn't See the Value in Gods
Salara: Formerly a Slave
Salara: Had a Practical, Unkind Slave Master
Salara: From Sunberth
Salara: A Kelvic
Salara: Doesn't Know Her Parents
Salara: Branded with a Screaming Cat Symbol

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Previous Season Expenses Paid (Spring 517): ✓

Salara Kelhalavath
Skills
Observation: 1
Socialization: 3
Negotiation: 1
Philosophy: 1

Lores
Konti: Have Gills
Konti: Prophets and Seers
Konti: Avalis is their Patron
Konti: Born with a Gift with Varying Uses
Kelp Tea is Better than Kelp Beer
Avalis: Goddess of Divination
Liriope: Cannot See the Future or Past
Liriope: Can See What a Person Loves Most
Liriope: Formerly an Interrogator
[

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Previous Season Expenses Paid (Spring 517): ✓

A nice fun read, to see more on Salara and Liriope's styles of thinking. Well done, both of you. Liriope, please mark the post in the Zeltivan Grading Queue as Graded.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Previous