PM to join Tables and Trinkets (Hwyn)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Tables and Trinkets (Hwyn)

Postby Artigan Crowley on April 16th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Spring 40th, 517

It didn’t happen often, but Artigan liked it when he was called to put things together. Designing and creating components were all well and good, but nothing was quite as delightful as assembling a physical item and seeing it work. Usually he had gone through the entire process by that time, but sometimes––like today––Rhysol’s fate would see fit to present him one out of the blue, and he would get to spend an entire day out of the forge putting a puzzle together.

So were the circumstances that pulled him toward the Nitrozian residence.

It was a fine day to be out (although, really, every day in Ravok was a fine day to be out) and the populace seemed in high spirits. When Artigan flagged down a ravosala, the man directing the vessel was armed with a smile and a pleasant whistle, peppered with occasional remarks about the city at they passed on their way.

The trip from Thorin’s forge to the Nitrozian estate crossed more than half the city, right down the middle. It seemed a bit odd to Artigan that the family should live on the opposite side of the city center as the Nitrozian Plaza, but the journey was too pleasant for him to feel particularly negative.

He reached the estate right about that in-between time that was neither morning nor midday, thanked the ravosalaman and made his way to the entrance. Upon knocking, the towering door opened to reveal a young woman in a maid’s uniform.

“Hello,” Artigan said preemptively. “My name is Artigan Crowley; I’m the one asked to assemble a table?”

“Ah, Mr. Crowley, of course. Come inside, please. May I take your coat, sir?”

“Oh, yes, I suppose that’d help. Thank you.”

She closed the door behind him and slid the coat off his shoulders with practiced grace. When the garment was neatly hung on the nearby coat rack, she gestured for him to follow.

“Right this way, Mr. Crowley. The third building has a small carpentry workshop that you will be using; to my understanding, all the parts should be there save for the table head itself. One of our hands will also be there to help you, should you need it. Once it’s all put together, ask to visit the main common room in the first building; that’s where the table head is. You can bring the rest to that room and make it complete.”

“Thank you,” Artigan replied when it was clear she was finished. “I’m sure I’ll have everything I need.”

“I’m sure you will. The Nitrozians are prepared to be very proud of this table.”

“I’ve heard.”

The workshop was indeed small when they reached it, but there was more than enough space to assemble…

… the haphazard pile of metal bits on the workbench.

Well. That would take some extra time. Artigan took the assembly plans out of his pocket to check them over; it wasn’t stunningly complicated to make a rotating table, and there was an organized list of the parts to one side, but there were enough parts that setting everything straight would take an unpleasant amount of busywork.

“Well,” Artigan said with a sigh. “I’ll get this together as soon as I can.”

“Splendid. An extra pair of hands should be here soon.”
Artigan Crowley
Player

Words: 39574
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2017, 2:03 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Hwyn on April 17th, 2017, 10:01 am

Tables and Trinkets

Odd jobs were… well odd, though Hwyn would say he preferred them to regular chores, though tending to Eva was still preferable to either. However it with her sleeping habits and binges, it was semi-often that Hwyn was left with free time that was then taken by the estate. Shrugging as Byrony pulled him along he listened to her chatter on about how nice the table was supposed to be and that it was unlike anything she’d ever heard of before. He frowned at the discreption wondering why anyone would want a table that spun, it seemed like more trouble than anything.
Hwyn shuddered at the the thoughts of wine glasses toppling if someone bumped into such a table, he still didn’t understand the concept though his pessimism wasn’t allowing him to come up with any creative reasons why such a table could be a boon.
Entering the carpentry shed, that was usually home to their Akalak gardener working on some project or other it was odd to see another person in his place. He didn’t appear to be Staff his clothes weren’t neat enough and he still looked a tad lost in the shop, outside help?
Mirroring the older Maid Hwyn curtsied in greeting nodding his head in greeting to the person. It was perhaps a tad formal but it was always safe to err to the side of caution when you were unsure of another person’s rank in society lest you offend the wring individual.
Letting Byrony do the Introductions Hwyn smiled sheepishly as she informed him that Hwyn would be helping him with his project. Then with that the older maid left leaving Hwyn alone with the gadgeteer.
“S-so… w-w-we’re making a table…. That… spins?”
Walking over to the table that was assemble with a confusing array of pieces of wood and metal Hwyn frowned at the thought of being able to assemble anything from this mess.

“T-to be honest.,,, I’m not sure what any of this is…. B-but. I’m a pretty fast learner… so I’ll help however I can.”
Letting the man who would probably be getting a nice sum of money for the project Hwyn waited tell orders cam his way while he fiddled with the hem of his black skirt waiting on the man to hand down orders. He didn’t like having to deal with new people, humans… or really any of the races were unpredictable, and it wasn’t the first time he’d come up against volatile personalities that he wasn’t sure how to deal with. He hoped that this would be an easy quick job so that he didn’t have to spend a terribly long time with a potentially dangerous stranger.

Credit to Shimoje, the bestest buddy
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Words: 275288
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2015, 1:26 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Donor (1)

Postby Artigan Crowley on June 1st, 2017, 7:13 pm

Artigan glared at the pile of components, then sighed and leaned against the table to begin rooting through them. He knew the design and recognized the parts, but he didn’t want to have to look through the whole pile for every individual item.

It wasn’t long at all before the cheerful maid returned, touting along a short, scruffy… girl? Boy? A person with blond hair and a hunched, fearful aura about them.

“This is Hwyn,” said the maid. “Hwyn will be helping you today.”

“Ah, alright.”

“Is there anything else you require?”

“Not at the moment, although I’ll need directions to the table once I’m finished here.”

“Oh, of course. Just catch the nearest servant and ask for Byrony; I’ll be with you soon and I’ll show you where the rest is.”

“Thank you kindly.”

“I’ll leave you to it.”

She departed, and the one she’d brought––Hwyn––stumbled their way through a question.

“Yes, that’s what we’re making,” Artigan answered, smiling warmly. “Some sort of fancy map, I’m told. Although these pieces are less than ready to be assembled, I’m afraid; I can’t do anything until I get them organized. How about you help me get them in order, hmm?” The servant seemed very tense, so Artigan took care to speak gently. “We’ll start by separating things into groups. Wheels in one group, rods in another – find things that look similar and put them together. Some things will look like nothing else, and that’s alright; we can just set them aside.”

To demonstrate, Artigan fished a two-foot-wide metal ring out of the mess and set it on another part of the table.

“Once we have everything organized, I can assemble most of it here. Then, it’ll mostly be a matter of fastening it to the table and then getting the table head onto the whole thing. I’m not certain how heavy that will be, but four hands are better than two.”

Returning to his organizing, Artigan hesitated for a few moments before giving voice to his next question.

“Hwyn, if it’s not a terribly rude question, are you a boy or a girl? I mean no insult––you are very pretty either way––I just don’t want to call you the wrong thing.”
Artigan Crowley
Player

Words: 39574
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2017, 2:03 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes