[Location] The Kelp Bar

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Location] The Kelp Bar

Postby Liminal on May 18th, 2009, 10:24 pm

The Kelp Bar

A generous soul might have called the building "unprepossessing," while someone more cynical might have described it as "run-down." It was a weatherbeaten structure made of bleached-out boards that had salt stains running along the bottoms. In front hung a sign that appeared to have been lettered by punching holes in a piece of sheet metal; the letters read THE KELP BAR.

As the bar was very close to the docks, most of the clientele were either sailors or shipyard workers. The interior was lit by a few sputtering oil lamps, whose light looked feeble even in the middle of the day. No two of the tables and chairs seemed to have come from the same set, and several of the chairs were so rickety that a person was taking their life in their hands by testing their seats. It was the sort of place where anyone who wasn't immediately known to the regulars could feel themselves being examined upon entering, although rarely was anyone overtly hostile -- at least at first.

There was a bar along one side of the room. It was tended by a grim-looking woman whose brown hair was shot through with streaks of gray. She had the appearance of someone who might have been very attractive once, but time had not been kind to her, and her face showed some of the weariness that she obviously felt.

A large sign behind the bar declared in large, black letters: KELP BEER, 1 HALF-NILO. It didn't have any other items listed, because the Kelp Bar didn't sell anything else. Food shortages were common in Zeltiva, public restaurants didn't exist, and the only beverages that could be produced locally were kelp beer and water. And the kind of people who came to the Kelp Bar spent all day working in and around the water, and weren't about to drink any during their private time.

Should one have the courage to order a mug of the stuff, they would be confronted with a flat, green substance that smelled suspiciously like a dead fish -- probably after rotting for several days on the beach. All the locals in the bar seemed to drink it with impunity, but the kindest thing an outsider had ever said about it was that it was an "acquired taste." If one were to actually drink it, they would find that it tasted almost exactly like it smelled, except saltier. It also contained an extremely high quantity of alcohol, which might be the only fact that allowed a person unfamiliar with it to keep drinking it.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

[Location] The Kelp Bar

Postby Phipreas on July 29th, 2010, 4:15 pm

59th Summer 510 AV

Taking a seat down in the mold-ridden seats, Phipreas relaxed, drinking the vile mixture that was supposed to be alcohol, taste far more like rats piss; not only that the whole place stank of fish, he wished he could have got into the university bar, at least there wouldn't feel so out of place. But no, he was in the university so a poet like him had to go to a place like this!

He'd come here to gain an easy coin, to afford a dwelling for the night, he was sick of flying out the city to find rest in some tree. He wanted a bed, a comfy abode to rest and relax. It didn't look likely now from what he saw, inside it was full of muscled fools, and leering bar man.

No girls were going to come here, well no respectful girls, he could detect the distinct odour of sex from this place, but it was early, the whores weren't out, and right now it was full of drunken testosterone fuelled sailors.

When someone touched his wings, he swung round, fury in his eyes, no one touches his wings.
Last edited by Phipreas on July 29th, 2010, 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phipreas
The Last Paladin of Scotland

Words: 13006
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2010, 11:00 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet

[Location] The Kelp Bar

Postby Ben Traven on July 29th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Ben was looking at the wings in awe to bad he didn't have a magnifying glass he had seen nothing like it which would be awkward since he is a alchemist. To Ben the wings had a whispery texture "Im so sorry it is jut that i haven't seen anything like it before and trust me i have seen a lot of things" . Ben stopped and sat beside the what he would call a strange man Ben's robes swept up some dust from the floor Ben looked down at the floor and had a worried expression on his face .
"There are two types of knowledge in this land there's intellectual knowledge and there is damn right evil used for personal gain" Ben Traven
Ben Traven
Physician/Scholar

Words: 9552
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2010, 8:12 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

[Location] The Kelp Bar

Postby Phipreas on July 29th, 2010, 4:28 pm

This was extremely odd, the man seemed harmless, and he was human, but why be in a place like this, it was beneath a poet, so he imagined it be below an alchemist even more.

"You can look, but don't touch." He said the last word like a hiss.

The person nodded and admired them, smirking a little in the flurry of being looked at with such dedication, he unfurled the wings slightly, letting the sun hit them. The stained-glass like appearance making the human gape.

Hues of blue erupted from the silken wings, making them appear to glow.

Realizing he was drawing attention to himself, he closed them.

Swigging down his drink he smiled at the man, "My name is Phipreas."
Last edited by Phipreas on July 29th, 2010, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phipreas

Character sheet

[Location] The Kelp Bar

Postby Ben Traven on July 29th, 2010, 4:34 pm

"Im Ben nice to meet you" Ben held out his hand so Phipras could shake it "don't worry i wont harm you" Ben kept looking at his robes as though they where sacred . Ben's dark brown eyes seemed to glow a little from sun light Ben was 20 but seemed much older than that he seemed as though he was 40 or more. Ben used his free hand to remove his backpack and put it on the floor it had another leather bag and a scrollcase attached to it.
"There are two types of knowledge in this land there's intellectual knowledge and there is damn right evil used for personal gain" Ben Traven
Ben Traven
Physician/Scholar

Character sheet

[Location] The Kelp Bar

Postby Phipreas on July 29th, 2010, 4:45 pm

It was bothering Phipreas too much now, he had to ask, he didn't care if it was rude. The guy kept looking at his robes, and it was severely irritating him, so turning on his wit he said, "Are they going to burst into flames?"

Ben seemed startled by this, but said nothing meanwhile Phipreas opened his wings again and raised himself off the seat, getting into a sort of levitating flight so he could move forward and not have to use his tail to move about.

Checking his backpack he pulled out a Dairy and wrote out of Ben's eye view.

Day 1: 510 AV

After leaving home I flew to nearest port and have now met a human, I can scarcely believe going to say this, but he seems someone I can consider an equal.

Closing the diary he then asked, "Can you get me into the University bar?"
Last edited by Phipreas on July 29th, 2010, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phipreas

Character sheet

[Location] The Kelp Bar

Postby Ben Traven on July 29th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Ben looked around at him "sorry i can't get you in yet im not part of the university yet im applying for a course in errm never mind in about two days then i can get you in so we can have a decent ale". Ben smiled when he mentioned ale "out of curiosity what do you wan't to do for a living?". Ben opened his backpack and produced a book "Basics on Medicine" and dusted it down and placed the book on the counter.

Basics on Medicine
by Jonny
Ben Traven
Physician/Scholar

Character sheet

[Location] The Kelp Bar

Postby Phipreas on July 29th, 2010, 5:02 pm

Phipreas smiled, the grin seeming to intrigue the Ben, "I'm a poet and storyteller." he took a dramatic breath, "How I came to be here, is an amazing story in itself, but why I came here, was to make coin, by making the plebeian fools fall in love with my recital."

The man nodded.

"So you wish to be a Doctor, but why you'll surely be forgotten. I want to be remembered so I'm writing an epic, but before I can begin I must explore the world, gain inspiration from all living life."

This would be difficult he knew, but the challenge and the idea of managing to surpass the greats drove him. It was amazing that while warm weather outside, he was cold in his brown garb.
Last edited by Phipreas on July 29th, 2010, 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phipreas

Character sheet

[Location] The Kelp Bar

Postby Ben Traven on July 29th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Ben looked at him with surprise "i wasn't expecting poet and not really a doctor my well hidden identity really a alchemist although i find being a physician fun and is worth it ".

Ben un-strapped the leather bag from his backpack and laid it on the counter while putting the book back in the backpack "do you know what this is " . Ben smiled while saying this and he pictured his dream wife, Ben seemed as though he badly needed to smoke but he didn't want to ruin his first impression.
Ben Traven
Physician/Scholar

Character sheet

[Location] The Kelp Bar

Postby Phipreas on July 29th, 2010, 5:17 pm

This was insulting, because he had no idea what it was, it seemed to be alchemy but he couldn't make hide nor or hair of what it was, scratching his head, he sighed, but kept trying to work it out. It was obviously used for making something and all the little bottles and formulas certainly made it obvious this guy was as much a doctor as Phipras was a warrior.

Growling in frustration he asked his voice straining to keep control, "I've no idea what it is."

The man smiled with utter glee, while he rolled his eyes.
Phipreas

Character sheet

Next