Open [The Sakel] Unwanted Visitations

60th of Su, 517 AV, 7.The Sakel manifests a deceased loved one or enemy and places it in confrontation with the PC's life. (Multiple use event)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Sakel] Unwanted Visitations

Postby Robinson Gilli on June 15th, 2017, 8:05 am

60th of Summer, 517 AV, 9th Bell

It was supposed to be a normal day, or so he thought, it was supposed to be just another in the mess of it that is one Robinson Gilli. The weather was humid, the sweat he screated refused to go as the humid air kept it to him. Even for this city it was near unbearable but that was not what brought him trouble, in fact it was something that bordered on the realm of madness.

The face he stared at smiled back maliciously. Gray, cap, blond hair, tacky dandy-like clothing and only thing decent about it a pair of boots, and more importantly a sheathed scimitar hanging from his belt….. a scimitar that Robin was quite certain he had tucked away in his current abode.

Robin was frozen stiff in the middle of the road, to the passerby it was like he saw a ghost but they didn’t see what he saw. No, they didn’t see the memory of a past literally standing there before them as if given flesh.

“Yer dead…” Robin croaked almost voicelessly. Thumper laughed, a drunkards laugh based on the brief knowledge Robin had of the man he killed, the immature man and his friend who tried to kill him as a mark. The two he killed because they also had a mark on their heads.

Thumper kept laughing, all wheezing and drunk like as if he just saw the funniest in his life ‘ Unlife… maybe?’ Robin corrected, his mind barely processing and understanding what was going on.

A pat on the shoulder caused Robin to jump, a look of surprise on his face as his darted to the new presence only to see it was one of the Akalaks, showing concern and wariness.

“You are alright?” He said inquisitively. Robin turned his gaze around to see a dozen other folk watch curiously as they passed by. Others clearly guards lingering their hands to their weapons at the first sign of trouble.

His voice dry, Robin hazarded a question “ Ye don’ see ‘im?” He asked, jutting a chin towards to Thumper who was now sitting on his rear, his elbows resting on his legs as his head rested upon the palms of his hands. The Akalak spared a glance, but then shook his head and wondered no Doubt if the human was ill so thought Robin.

I jus’ might be’ He gulped “Right, guess I be jus’ a little tired then. Heat getting’ to me" Which may as well be a partial truth he thought. Thumper merely laughed again, his juvenile and malicious cackle unheard by all save Robin.

Robin was determined to keep this a hallucination, a delusion brought on by the heat. It had to be, the dead don’t simply dust themselves off as if nothing happened then carried on, right? A corpse stayed a corpse and that’s how it should be.

“Right…uh, be headin’ back to proppa shade” He declared to the Akalak, who gave him a cautious nod and let him be on his way. Robinson had originally intended to get some archery done at the Stained Pelt like he’d done days prior, but evidently it needed to be on hold if he was this delusional.

He felt it a wise idea to head away from the area, instead of finding solace in the Blue Bull he would go to the Kulkukan, enjoy the shade there, have a meal and drink a copious amount of liquid. Yes, he would do that.

As boots hit the stone beneath, his ears picked up another pair of steps that were consistent with his own. His gaze snapped to his left to see the hallucination of Thumper walking beside him, a lazy swagger and an insufferable grin on his face.

“Oh, don’t ya be lingerin’ that there gaze Robbie. Ain’t want more people thinkin’ ya a nutter, eh?” The hallucination started, and Robin snapped his gaze forward and just marched faster.

Ain’ real, ain’t real, ain’t real’ He mentally recited the mantra, his heart rate spiking as he felt the organ thump faster and loudly in his chest. ‘ three years, yer a rottin’ corpse full o’ maggots, three years!

“Oh come now Robbie boy, ain’t exactly kind o’ you ta be thinkin’ that eh? ‘ave some sympathy for the dead” Thumper drawled, yet his tone indicated he was enjoying every second of this.

Jus’ a hallucination, Robbin. Jus’ somethin’ yer ‘eads cookin’ up’ He kept rationalizing as he began crossing the bridge, his destination not too long away for now. His mind didn’t help further as he recalled that day where his misfortunes seemed to start.

The job was a simple one, a small time gang was getting’ uppity, someone wanted that taken care of. Robin didn’t question his handler nor the source of the job, things like this were typical in the Birth. Then he met the two, Thumper and dimwitted Georgie, two of a gang of five or six all with a characteristic gray cap.

Turned out the two had a mark on him in return they wanted to cash, a set up that made no sense. He’d done nothing wrong as far as he was aware, and the timing was so close he’d assumed it to be a set up from the beginning. He never got the answer as to why, but its effect lingered on for years on him.

“The why really matterin’ now, Robbie? Thing is you’z all out of the Berth now, a lil’ pariah. Gots to tell you its brings me all a tingle ta see ya so down in the dumps” Thumper cackled. Robin turned only to meet a gaze that went ‘ Go on, let all the fine folk ‘ere think yer a nutso, they ain’t seein’ me an’ hearin’. Whatchu gonna do about it?’

He kept his mouth shut, fixed his gaze forward, and made his way to the damn Tavern!
Last edited by Robinson Gilli on June 20th, 2017, 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Languages spoken:

Common=fluent, Fratava=basic, Pavi=poor

"Is not that I dun wanna talk, is jus' that I'm not good at it"
Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Words: 88416
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2014, 7:43 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

[Sakel City Event] Unwanted Visitations

Postby Soikka on June 19th, 2017, 11:12 pm

The Kulk was quieter than usual, as most pubs tended to be in the mornings; the usual thunder of conversation had faded into a pleasant drone, easy on the ears. Though the rowdy atmosphere of the Blue Bull was a little more suited to his taste, there was no denying the quality of the ale at the Kulkukan. The company wasn’t bad either, if you knew where to look -- while it was a bit more straight-laced than the other taverns Soikka had populated, there was an abundance of human travelers and traders passing through. Besides, there wasn’t much danger of a drunken customer flipping a table before he could manage to down his mug.

Soikka ordered his mealLedger: -2 SM and drinkLedger: -4 CM lethargically, striking up conversation with Chell and nearby patrons as he waited. He was in no hurry to go down to the Warren, content with taking his time before rushing headfirst into the fray of the marketplace -- he had decided to dip into the Kulk for a bite of food before heading over to open his stall, just before the activity in the market would start to peak.

When all was done and paid for at the bar he meandered over to a table near the front, settling down with his breakfast. The youth took a swig from his tankard, realizing a moment too late that he had a business to run in the afternoon. Ah, well, he reasoned, staring down his the mug. A cup of liquid confidence won’t hurt. Operating a honestly-established stand was harder than he had imagined -- well, ‘honest’ was a bit of a stretch, seeing as he scammed the coin out of most of his customers. It was a quite a change from the scrappy life he lived in Ravok, though he still wasn’t entirely sure if it was for the better or worse.

The thud of an opening door drew Soikka’s attention to the entrance, silver orbs flickering up to catch a look at the newcomer. To his surprise, the face was not an unfamiliar one; the mercenary he had came into contact with just a week or two ago strode into the Kulk, his features hard-set as always. Soikka felt his lip twitch a bit at the expression on Gilli’s face, finding it amusing how the seasoned killer walked into a pub all stiff-like as if Rhysol himself was trailing in behind him.

“Ay, Gilli!” Soikka called, waving over at the man casually with one hand as he cradled his mug with the other. “Didn’t think I’d be seein’ you again so soon.” Soon was a no understatement; barely a week and a half had passed since they had last run upon each other -- in a bar, no less. “It seems like we’ve got a shared fondness for places like this, eh?” he grinned good-naturedly, tapping the tabletop with his finger. He supposed it wasn’t too surprising to see the tall man headed into a place like the Kulkukan in the earlier hours of the day; Gilli seemed like the type to appreciate a cup of good ale more than the actual people hanging about in a tavern, if his silent demeanor was anything to go by.

Upon second glance at the man, Soikka noted the stiffness of his posture and his ashen face with more curiosity than concern. “You feelin’ alright? You’re lookin’ a bit out of sorts.” the con-man commented unabashedly, setting the container full of ale back down onto the table.
Common | Pavi
Soikka
Soulsearcher

Words: 11161
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2017, 9:24 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aladari Coolwater on June 20th, 2017, 3:56 am

Aladari didn't quite understand Riverfall yet. She didn't understand the way people talked, or the way the city guard hovered, or the way women were treated. But booze, now that was a common language, and Aladari spoke it fluently.

"So, you're telling me," She asked slowly so that her accent wouldn't misconstrue the words at all, "That this here e'spensive wine is gonna get me more for my Mizas than that good ale?"

"Well, of course, they're both good ma'am." The bartender reassured her. "I was only commenting that wine tends to be more potent. I'll go on and get you the ale now."

Aladari frowned, trying to think through the cloud of fog in her head. Potent. Potent. I know this one! What does it mean, dammnit. Finally, she gave up, leaning back in her seat with a pout on her face. "Just get me one of each."

"Of...of course."

While she waited, Aladari took the opportunity to glance around the near-empty tavern. There were a few folk scattered here and there, but most appeared as if they were only there for breakfast, having spent the night. This surprised the fisherwoman, as she was used to taverns this close to the docks being chock-full of rowdy sailors no matter the time of day.

Things really are different around here. She thought. Or, I'm in the wrong part of town!

It was with a private smile at her own jest that Aladari accepted her drinks and wandered off to find a table. On her way, she sniffed at the ale in her right hand before cautiously taking a sip. Her caution proved unnecessary, as the ale was delightful and warmed her throat all the way down to her stomach just like she loved. It wasn't until she closed her eyes in bliss that the action started. Naturally.

The man who stumbled in was at first glance no more than a drunk. His eyes were glazed over in that same lazy unseeing way, and he walked as if he hadn't learned until yesterday. Content with her own ale, Aladari brushed off the occurrence. However, when his friend began to comment on his appearance, she knew something was off. Drunkards didn't have concerned friends- hell, they hardly had friends.

Still trying her best to keep to herself, but also intrigued, Aladari scooted one table closer to the scene with her drinks. Out of habit, she stared at his eyes, hoping to see his emotional colors in them. Instead she was met with a blank stare. Perhaps he was drugged? She remembered how she had felt under that curse. With those drugs in her system, it had felt like she wasn't a part of the world, and that's exactly how this man looked.

She didn't want to get into trouble so soon in her new home, but the quickly disappearing mug of ale was warming her up to the other folks in the tavern. She decided to compromise by giving the concerned friend a little advice, but staying away from the drunkard himself.

"Aye." She offered, "In Sunberth we see that all the times. Is drugs, I'd bet." There was a soft pause as she considered the idea, finally following up with an impulsive, "Ten Coppers," and a big, sloppy grin.
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on June 20th, 2017, 8:21 am

“Ah, looky ‘ere Robbie” Came the voice of what appeared to be Thumper, the figure only he could see and hear even though it seemed he was in the flesh around him. The so-called imaginary figure approached Soikka, the lad whom he’d met a number of days before along with another. The tall lad still looked unreasonably skinny to him but if he ate right he’d fill out proper he was sure….

“ Less ‘e stays a gawky twig.” Thumper commented, the ‘hallucination’ moving about and behind the lad. Robin stiffened further as Thumper ran a hand through the lad’s skull, going through it yet leaving the unaware boy himself unharmed.

Like a damn ghost’ Robin thought.

“Oh I could be jus’ tha’ Robbie boy, a ghost of yer past comin’ ta give you a haunting for yer misdeeds” Thumper snickered, now taking an empty seat and raising his legs upon a table as if he were actually there to sit upon it.

He grunted, ignoring the figment and focused d on the reality. Giving Soikka a nod of acknowledgement but before replying to his comment and explaining his disheveled mannerisms, another voice soon broke in from an adjacent table where a miss with drinks. Even as she sat he could tell she was much shorter than he and Soikka.

“You be jus’ losin’ tha’ bet” He gruffly commented, even as he heard Thumper howling in the background. If he wasn’t so sure about not partaking in drugs he would have gladly accepted it as an explanation.

“You ain’t tha’ lucky” Thumper commented, his laughter dying down to snickers as he now moved to share a spot next to the lass. To them it must’ve appeared like paranoia as his eyes darted to empty spots, as if a danger was there yet simply wasn’t.

“Oh I could be a danger’, you ain’t never knowin’ for sure. I mean, we all is havin’ a lil’ monster o’ the past creepin’ on us ain’t we” He said cryptically, extending his arms in a grandiose gesture “ Tha’ street rat lookin’ brat may ‘ave somethings naggin’ ‘im now, ya never now. Girl too now tha’ I’m thinkin’ it” He grinned maliciously.

“AH, but I’m yer hallucination. Don’t ya be worryin’ yer lil’ head much. I ain’t ready to share”

Each time he spoke he felt aggravated, each time he felt aggravated he felt just a little bit of him being sapped away. As if the mere act of him talking was costing Robin energy. Robin sighed wearily, sharing Soikka’s table and bringing his hands together to rub ‘is forehead.

“Jus’ ‘avin’ me some bad memories, ‘s all”

Said bad memories was grinning like a loon right now, promising more to come but was staying silent this time. Robin turned his gaze to the gal, giving her a look.

“Now, about tha’ there ten copper” He inflicted as much coherency in those words, lips tugging into a small smirk despite the situation “ How ‘bout ye gimme a couple o’ ales instead an’ I call us squared?”

He spoke with more confidence than he usually did, but if money and ale was on the line then who wouldn’t benefit from it?
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Aladari Coolwater on July 11th, 2017, 5:56 pm

In a more sober state, Aladari might have questioned the man's confidence- especially with his shifting eyes and the lines creasing his face. However, she was not quite capable of such logic at the moment, and instead begrudgingly believed him.

"Aye, ain't good to mix ale an' any drugs, but if youse drinkin' then we'll find out if youse tellin' the truth, huh?"

The girl flagged down a waitress, pointing at her mug of ale with purpose. The waitress was more than familiar with the tipsy language, and waved back in understanding before heading to the bar.

"You wanna sit down?" She offered wheile the waitress came back with the drink. "I hate for you to hit the floor, an' it's lookin' like you might. I can't pay for medicine, and on top of that I ain't know any doctors around 'ere."

Although she wasn't quite mannered enough to pull out a chair for the man, she knew enough to offer a seat to anyone who looked so faint. Her ma hadn't raised an animal, after all, and this man showed all the pale, shaky, nervous signs of someone ready to pass out. Once he was safe, either sitting or just stabilized on his feet, Aladari introduced herself.

"Name's Aladari." She held out a warm hand to her partner. "An' believe me, I know some bad memories." Although her own Sakel had yet to rear its head and she remained unaware of its presence in Riverfall, it would be certain to have plenty of fodder when it did. She had plenty of bad memories hidden within her; some she hadn't seen in years, but some so recent they still stung.

There was always a positive to be seen, though, and Aladari knew more than one way to cope, besides ale. In both her interests of storytelling and the man's of healing, she offered him one of her own personal favorite solutions.

"Is it anythin' makin' a good story to share? Might help to get it off your mind, y'know, if you could tell."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on July 12th, 2017, 4:46 am

“Aw Robby Boy, you jus’ scored yerself a seat with that there pretty lady then?” The Sakel in the shape of Thumper mocked as he crossed his legs and had hands behind his head as he leaned back “Well, oughtn’t be rude eh? Jus’ take a seat an’ let out all yer lil’ worries an’ yer heart ‘ll feel all a flutter” He drawled.

He couldn’t help but glare at what supposedly was a hallucination of his mind, of the form of the man he only ever so briefly knew yet somehow he’d formed an entire personality on based on the man’s arrogance. He wanted to punch him in the face, hard.

Regardless, the woman had a point and this hallucination was taxing his energy. What was supposed to be a morning of polishing his skills quickly turning into a morning of bad memories as he gave another quick glare to Thumper who just sat there smugly.

He sighed mentally, taking in a breath as he pulled back a seat and shared a table with Aladari. Resting his arms on the table he closed his eyes briefly as he licked the back of his teeth “Aye… Aye, ‘s nice knowin’ ya “ He began, a finger now tapping the table lightly. Grabbing the drink he took a sip of as if it was the best thing he needed right now “Name’s Robinson” He introduced at last, once some of his wits were brought calm again.

“ An’ I ain’t sure ‘z a good un’” He said as much as he felt, with Thumper now standing in the background behind Aladari making a nuisance of himself, using the gal’s head as a rest of sort as he brought his hands over her head and rested his chin. The illusory bastard would be weightless to her “But if tellin’ it ‘ll make a tad easier, I’ll be for it” He sighed, taking another sip of the ale.

“ I’s from the Berth, born an’ raised” He admitted, though it would have been obvious simply by hearing him speak “ Far as livin’ was goin’ me an’ the fam were doin’ good. Da’s a sellsword an’ I learned from him, so it was I’s become one too” He pointed to the unstrung composite longbow on his back, one of the tools of his trade.

“Ah, ‘member that lil’ thing. Good thin’ we got the jump on you when we did else we wouldn’t be ‘aving this ‘ere conversation Robby” Thumper added, and Robin truly wished he could have shot the fool before he even heard his voice. Though knowing his luck he’d still see him and he’d be getting rude charades instead of words.

Withholding another sigh even as he felt about ready to snap, to shout at the hallucination, he carried on “ An’ well, in my biz ye’re likely ta get as many jobs as petchers tryin’ ta kill ya an’ that there’s plenty” And that was a truth he could have done without.

Wiping a sweat at his brow, he looked up at the ceiling “Woulda been fine with it, mos’ me jobs ‘ad me killin’ upstarts tryin’ ta make it as another big gang an’ it paid well enough. But then I gets me another job like it, ‘s all the usual fare… but a hitch came ‘n it was the start of all me troubles “He murmured grudgingly as he glared at the ‘memory’ in question.

And he simply smiled right back.
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Aladari Coolwater on July 25th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Of course he was from Sunberth. It should've been obvious in the way he walked, the way his eyes shifted and his mouth stayed pressed together. If nothing else, she should've recognized the way he talked. But she had blocked some portion of that out already, and so the words hit her unexpectedly hard.

"An’ well, in my biz ye’re likely ta get as many jobs as petchers tryin’ ta kill ya an’ that there’s plenty." She swallowed hard on her ale, forcing it down her throat in a painful lump. Suddenly she was far too sober and far too drunk at the same time, memories coming swirling back between the mix. The scar on her arm itched and burned, no matter how she rubbed at it.

"I know whatcha mean." She consoled him as best she knew how. "Been in Sunberth myselfs, if you didn' tell. Had a couple a run-ins with the wrong folk."

In her mind, she could see the layout from a bird's eye view. A great hulking form of a man was searching her pockets as she lay completely prone on the ground, taken by some drug or another she hadn't really known the name of. His rumbling voice mocking her, his hands pulling rope tight around her wrists...

In front of her eyes, she could see the soft rope tying around her wrists once more as if it had happened again. She let go of her glass and tried to pull her hands away from the knot, but found her hands perfectly bound.

Doing her best not to show any panic or weakness, she took a deep breath. It isn't real. It isn't real. She repeated to herself. It happened seasons ago, but now it's over. I'm imagining it. Just pull your hands away, Al. Hard as she tried, though, she was unable to move her arms apart, instead barely straining the fine rope. In her ear, she heard a whisper.

You gonna tell 'em, pretty? You gonna let 'em know you wasn't nothin' but a- She closed her eyes and reopened them, finding the voice faded from her memory. Aware that she had been acting strangely for too long, Aladari tried to return to the conversation despite her situation.

"Aye, I been in some nasty spots. Mostly nothin' happened, though, thank the Gods." Another deep grumbling laugh brushed the back of her neck. "I's lucky. But not you, eh? What's the...'hitch'?"
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes