Closed [Knirin Gardens] Part of the Scenery

[Martini] Robinson makes an acquaintance of a Martini, an artist and most definitely not a drink

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Knirin Gardens] Part of the Scenery

Postby Robinson Gilli on June 18th, 2017, 7:49 am

517, 35th of Summer, 13th bell 25th chime

The Knirin Gardens, another of Riverfall’s beautiful wonders. The corner of Robinson’s mouth quirked in amusement, any more beautiful wonders and he’d become jaded. Admittedly he doubted he would but one did have their limits sometimes towards even the most joyous of things. The mercenary explored. The entire area comprised of Riverfall’s natural flora being used to create the beautiful landscapes, the tranquil settings bringing relaxations, serenity and focus for its various visitors who made use of it for their own ends.

Its lake held one massive building, doubtless there being more wondrous things to view inside. He didn’t make his way there to it yet, preferring to stay outside a bit longer. There was enough shade for him not to be bothered by the heat. In fact it made watching other people easier though what they did was predictable.

Akalak children ran about, running about and playing. Play fights, or maybe they were training he could never actually be sure, where a common sight amongst them. The adults were either training themselves, enjoying the quiet, or doing their bit to cultivate the gardens. Some wandered much like him, outsiders taking in the beauty before them.

Some, he noted ruefully, where enjoying the company of each other. Unsurprising considering where he was. Some enjoyed the fruits of their romance as evidence by families having picnics in certain areas.

S’all so sweet might s’well be pukin’ ’ He thought harshly, and he didn’t mean to be malicious about it as his face curled in confused nausea, but it was all just so much he was half tempted to get one of the Akalak’s to punch him in the face to adjust his testosterone levels.

Eventually he would try to locate a more isolated area, deciding a place with few people as possible. He might as well take a nap in such a local, it might do him a world of good.
Last edited by Robinson Gilli on June 21st, 2017, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Languages spoken:

Common=fluent, Fratava=basic, Pavi=poor

"Is not that I dun wanna talk, is jus' that I'm not good at it"
Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Words: 88416
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2014, 7:43 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Martini Elwood on June 18th, 2017, 8:29 am

Martini had awoken bright and early that morning and headed out with her artistry tools. Her backpack hosted blank sketchbook, her quills tucked behind both ears, and a ink vial placed carefully with her sketchbook. She had been very productive of late and wanted to try something new. Of course it wasn't often something new slapped her in the face, but being outside, in the city, or around it always gave her inspiration. No matter how small.

So she set out early in search of new muse material, though there were only so many times you could see something before you 'sight' dulls it. A beautiful garden looks ordinary once you've seen it all your life. Still beautiful, but not in a creative or fresh in the mind sense.

She always painted scenery. Sunset? She's drawn it. The waterfalls? She's drawn them. Although the aforementioned weren't the best quality, they had still gotten her pretty coin and some praise. The feeling of validation and success, or even relief after finishing a project... Nothing could compare.

It was now early afternoon and the sun had taken it's place in the sky, stray clouds shielding eyes from harm. It's rays beat down on all, but the humid heat waves never stopped the children from running around tirelessly, or the Akalak men from training and bodybuilding.

Martini was situated in the shade of a tree, the wooden bench she sat on almost gave her a view of the whole garden. There were a lot of couples here for romantic first dates and such, but Martini wasn't the slightest bit interested in them.

She had her sketchbook in her lap opened to the blank page she'd been glancing at for the last thirty-six chimes. She wanted, no needed something new. Anything new...

Now that she thought about it she had never tried to draw people before... That was her answer! She needed to draw something new..? She needed to draw people! She immediately considered asking an Akalak, but most of the ones present were training, and she didn't want to be a bother. Next best thing?

Man walking away? Perfect. She hurried to put her book back in to her bag and then tried to catch up with the man. She called out to him and walked to his left.

"Sir, er, SIR! Could I have a moment of your time?"
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Words: 133955
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2017, 2:19 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on June 18th, 2017, 8:48 am

Robin froze in place, wondering who this sir was. He turned his gaze about, confusion coloring his face. He had just been minding his own business, but now it seemed his business involved something else as he saw a young woman approach.

She was an attractive thing he had to admit but that wasn’t his interest at the moment. His confusion as to whom she sought evaporated as he moved towards his side, though it was quickly replaced by the wonder as to what the girl could want of him.

It bewildered him truly because there was no danger he could see, and if there was she’ donly need to yelp to find half the male’s present moving to her side to offer protection. No, it couldn’t be danger that was certain.

Directions maybe? A new comer hoping for direction? It was possible but judging by her Riverian style attire it was unlikely. It was also possible she just adopted the attire for the duration of her stay, but again it felt unlikely though for this he had no realization.

He pushed all those thoughts aside as he realized he had to dome communication. Mentally he groaned at that, talking not one of his strong suits and he found himself unconsciously tapping his thigh with an index finger. He looked at her inquiringly, not unfriendly but still curious as to what she wanted with a ragged looking man such as him.

His mind measured the words, eyes darting around a bit as if some glim hope she was looking for another before finally replying “Um… yeah?”
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Martini Elwood on June 18th, 2017, 9:18 am

Martini caught up and as the man turned she realized he might not be interested. What if he said no? She still had a chance to walk past him and pretend it wasn't him she was talking too right? Wrong. The man had already faced her with a response and she wasn't rude enough to walk away. She steeled herself and spoke.

"Er, sorry for interrupting your walk..." Martini shifted her weight to her left foot as she observed the mans features. He had somewhat of a lean build, silky black hair and a fuzzy angular chin. His eyes were a hazel green, he looked to have nice skin. The most striking feature the was his height and also what intimidated her. She hesitated before speaking.

"Um, I'm Martini, Martini Elwood. If you don't mind I'd like to draw you?" She meant it as a statement, but it came out more of a question when she noticed he was looking around. Was he distressed? Had she done something she shouldn't have? She hurriedly backtracked and explained her reasoning wit an apology.

"Oh Gods, I'm sorry! I'm an art student, and I needed a new subject and I saw you so I thought, hey, let's ask him since he doesn't look busy! And --" Martini covered her mouth, appalled by her rambling and hoped the man didn't take the later as an insult. She corrected herself again. Martini was embarrassed. Very embarrassed. First she had to go and make the man uncomfortable, then she had to insult him, and finally annoy him with her pointless rambling.

"I mean, all the children are playing, and the Akalak are practicing their skills... They just seemed so busy, and I was really nervous to disturb them. I'm, uh, actually just gonna go. Sorry for wasting your time." Today was supposed to be her inspirational fuel day, instead she was embarrassed and ashamed. The brunette bit her lip gently and shouldered her backpack before turning away.
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on June 18th, 2017, 9:52 am

The request caught him off guard, he didn't mind admitting. Granted he didn't quite understood what she meant by draw since it could be another thing entirely. Regardless of the intent he wondered why him and well, he received the answer in the form of rambling.

Long and short she wanted to draw him, on paper or whatever those sorts used, because he didn’t look particularly busy. He would have felt insulted, but a part of his mind felt otherwise. Why be indignant at the truth after all? Really he was more worried by her worry at probably having offended him, which she hadn’t but caused him to worry about accidentally gaining ire from the Akalaks who valued the opposite gender. It was unwise to earn their ire, it would do his none existent mercenary career no good if he happened to cause distress to a lady.

He raised his hands in frantic gestures, trying to forestall her from walking away. But no words came to mind as he didn’t know how to comfort the opposite sex, much less well… anyone else really. He was better at listening than actually talking, most folks appreciated a listener did they? Why couldn’t that demeanor translate into these situations…. Truthfully sometimes he wished his da had taught him how to talk alongside archery and axe practice

Finally, inspiration struck him! Again he had nothing to do other than wandering and train, and while he appreciated the latter two he had nothing but time for them. It was more vexing than relaxing really so why not make use of his time for something new? So he gathered his breath, one hand tapping his thigh while the finger of the other was raised, and said

“Uh, I’z not really mindin’…uh…ma’am, for whatever it iz you be needin’”
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Martini Elwood on June 18th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Martini had almost turned away when the man started to speak. At first she didn't comprehend the sentence. Did he really just agree? Oh thank the gods, he didn't he? Martini immediately turned back to him to gauge his expression. He didn't look to be lying, not that she'd be able to tell anyway. When she found no hint to tell her he wasn't being truthful, she lit up in excitement.

If he was observant, he'd notice that she stood straighter and talked more clearly than before, possibly from a boost of confidence. She was a alight with motivation. This man had agreed to help her, so she would put all her effort into the piece.

"Thank you very much! As I said, I'm an art student so I may not be good, but I'll try my best. To be honest, I've never draw a human before... But I swear I'll make it look as great as I can!" The closet thing she'd drawn to a human was stick figures of her family as a little girl. He mother had kept them when she was small, but as she aged her mother began to trash them since she didn't approve of her lack of skill. She had always said if one is to do something, one must do it best.

She wasn't a strong believer in practice makes perfect, however Martini was a different story altogether. Anything she put her mind to, she mused, she could be great at. It would take hard work, determination, and dedication, but she would reach the goal if she held fast.

"Okay, so we need a place to sit and do this. There's a bench just over there," She gestured with her hands then for him to follow her. Her mind was racing a mile a minute. What if it turned out awful? What if she couldn't get the proportions right? Oh gods she was nervous. Once at the bench she inhaled deeply through her nose and exhaled slowly to calm herself.

"I guess we should introduce ourselves then. I'm Martini, in case you didn't catch it before. What's your name?" The brunette inquired, shrugging off her backpack. She took out her sketchbook and the vial of ink and began to set up. She regretted not bringing a band to pin back her hair but she'd find away to manage.
3/3 Threads
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on June 19th, 2017, 7:48 am

’oh gratitude ta whoz ever god ‘s watchin’ He mentally breathed in relief. He almost feared he didn’t hear him or worse even understand him considering he spoke in accent. If there is one thing he noted here is that sometimes even the folk who spoke common, be they human or otherwise, didn’t tend to get his words the first time because of the way he spoke.

He couldn’t really help it, he spoke what he grew up on after all. He pushed those thoughts aside as it was not the time to dwell upon them. Instead he focused back on the girl who seemed to gain a measure of confidence if the cheerful tone and happy appearance gave any indication. It warmed his heart he had to admit, otherwise he’d have felt rotten and he had enough of that without adding ‘making girls cry’ to the list.

He accepted her warning of her not being good and the addendum that she also hadn’t drawn people before with ease. It of course lowered the expecations but in a way the fact she could draw anything at all put her on a different leage than him already. His eyes flashed back to moments of childhood where he had a stick and he’d just draw in the dirt, only to receive looks of confusion from his parents and playmates as… whatever he drew.

Looking back, he wondered what it was he drew? Must’ve been a whole lot of gibberish to be sure. While she spoke about a spot he simply nodded, showing he was listening at the very least and plastered a look of agreement as he followd her to a bench.

As she sat down, he in turn sat opposite of her. She reintroduced herself once more and he nodded, smacking his lips as he flexed his fingers in nervousness. May as well give a name “Er uh… Robinson Gilli, miss” He then resumed to awkward silence.

Curse his limited conversation skills.
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Martini Elwood on June 20th, 2017, 2:26 pm

"A pleasure to meet you." Martini sat on her knees facing Robinson and took out her commission journal, jotting down the details of her newest project. It was a little uncomfortable sitting that wa but nothing she couldn't work through.

Client: Robinson Ghili(?)
Deadline: 31st of Summer, before the 18th Bell
Purpose: Portrait Practice
Project Taken on: 35th of Summer, 517
Approximate Time Elapsed:
Colors: Black

Details: Just some practice sketches of Mr. Ghili. Hopefully they'll be good enough to give to him. No charge this time since I initiated the commission. I'll try a portrait to begin with, eventually I'll try anatomy... Looking at his face, I'd say he doesn't really have any stand out features so I'll equalize the detail on the portrait without a focus.

"Martini not miss." She didn't want to call him sir so Robinson didn't have to call her miss. Of course, she had noticed that his way of speaking was different, almost incoherent. She managed to pause a bit to think about his words, just enough for her to understand them. She had her doubts whether or not he was born in Riverfall however.

His accent said otherwise as did his clothing. Then again, she wasn't from Riverfall either, yet she dressed and acted like a native. Things were different in Riverfall than Syliras. Syliras was crumbling buildings, Riverfall was elaborate and beautiful structures. Syliras was always crowded, Riverfall was so much more calm and the people less distracting. Ah, but now wasn't the time for that.

"A moment please." Is all Martini said before lowering her head and closing her eyes for a quick prayer to Akvin. Hear me God of Creativity, Innovation, and Invention, for as one of your children I am ever in your service. Please lend me your mind and prowess, that I might do honor to your name on this canvas. Let my imagination and creativity know no boundaries. She lifted her head once done.

"Thank you." The brunette directed this at Robinson before setting an ink vial before her in the space between them. She would need to start with some throw away sketches in order to get her creativity flowing. She would need something to doodle, so she decided to practice eyes on the book of paper. Between being a student and having a job, Martini didn't have much time to herself. When she did it was usually spent resting, not practicing or studying.

"Oh right. Don't worry about posing or smiling unless that feels natural. Try to relax and be comfortable. If you're uncomfortable just tell me and we can stop." Martini shifted her legs taking the quill and dipping it in the ink. She made three circles on the page, each about four inches in diameter.

She then proceeded to draw lines on them. The first one she drew a line down the middle and a horizontal line across it. These would help her keep the eye in place. She then flipped the page so that it was able to see it through the next sheet.

"I doing some practice to warm up first, then I'll get to the actual drawing. Also, if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer."
Last edited by Martini Elwood on June 21st, 2017, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3/3 Threads
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on June 21st, 2017, 9:40 am

He nodded, if she wished not a title then he would oblige. To his ears she sounded like a local, and he never really thought her an out of towner. Granted, the reason he didn’t assume so was because the Akalak population was too vast a difference to use in comparison but also because he thought that not every woman would be attached to an Akalak here

Though I’m supposin’ e mos’ very Akalak ain’t mindin’ bein’ attached to a woman’ He chuckled silently as his lips quirked into a smile. As he thought this he let her have that moment of hers, he didn’t know what she was doing but he gandered a guess that she was simply bringing her thoughts to a focus. When she raised her head and gave him thanks, he merely nodded in reply though he didn’t understand what she had need to give him thanks.

Politeness, he supposed.

His lips then pursed, unsure if he was going to be able to relax or be comfortable. He supposed he could watch the scenery while she drew, but then again the fact he was being watched would mire the experience. Lose himself in his thoughts perhaps? But that could probably encounter the same hiccup.

Bes’ jus’ keep a lid an’ let ‘er work, no reason ta muck it up for her’ he reasoned to himself, finding better solace in that reasoning than ruin her time simply because he felt a bit of an itch about it all.

He didn’t even need to be stiff still, just still enough not to be a bother. Questions also seemed like a good idea to pass the time, and so he ventured forth.

“Uh… um” It began swimmingly he did, smacking his lips like he so often did when gathering the words “So uh… drawin’, uh… good work issit?”
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Martini Elwood on June 22nd, 2017, 8:46 pm

Martini drew a miniature circle inside the other and inked it in. That would be the pupil. She did a little bit of shading around the pupil, as light as she could using ink, for the iris. The brunette paused when Robinson asked about being work. It took a few ticks, but she shook her head before nodding.

"I'd like to think so." Martini wasn't often asked about her work except for her skill level and what she could and couldn't draw. She supposed that it didn't really matter to a client wether she enjoyed it or not as long as she got the job done. That was fine, but sometimes she felt the need to gush over her talent and the work she put in to it.

"If you enjoy something enough to dedicate most of your time to it, why not make it a profession." The brunette had reason to believe art was her calling even though she had yet to explore all the forms open to her. She supposed having an instructor would help her with that though. She continued to stay close to what she knew, even if she insisted she was adventurous.

She was interested in learning, yes. Though it was mainly for the sake of inspiration. She had gotten some of her best ideas from a new experience days - even bells - before. She didn't mind sharing her experiences, but that was only when others asked about them.

"What's your calling?" Martini made small talk to keep the man from boring himself. She knew she couldn't sit still without something to do, so she wouldn't make some else do it. She again made a circle on the previous page before flipping to the next. She began to experiment with the shading this time, trying to make it lighter for the iris. It wasn't working. She huffed before trying again.
3/3 Threads
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes