PM to join A day for knowlege (Orin)

Cas takes a day to study

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

A day for knowlege (Orin)

Postby Casanova DeGhetto on July 7th, 2017, 1:48 am

Riverfall
8th of Summer
517 A.V

The tingling sensation of something wet and warm awakened him from his drunken slumber. His head ached, the drunken damn breaking away as memories from the night before flowed to the front of his mind. "Well good morning to you." He spoke sarcastically, his chest rose as he took a breath. A repositioning of his hips allowing the woman from last night to get more comfortable. His body gave a slight twitch then a shiver as his body was drained of it's energy, sinking deeper into the bed. There was a slight moment of stillness, a chocolate colored hand stroken the woman's hair like flowing silk.

"Happy birthday" she teased as she arose from the bed with a flirtatious smirk. He gave a snort at the compliment, brown eyes watching the nude bronze colored woman stretch her slender body. Another sigh, this one of dissapointment, arising from the comfort of his bed to find clothes for the day. He was still amazed at how a simple conversation over multiple drinks could make a person more suggestive, throwing in his birthday was just icing on the cake. Still this is the part that he hated the most, digging through the scatered clothes in search of his own garments.

"Here, I think this is yours." He tossed a dress to the woman.

"Oh, thankyou. So what are the plans for the day?"

Here it was. They always asked in some way or another. What are the plans? Where are we going? So what now? This is why he usually paid for it, at least they left on their own. Then again who was he to talk, the only reason he woke next to her was because of her generosity and drinking problem. In reality he didn't have an ounce of seduction in his body. Still though, this had to be delt with. "Well, I'm going on an errand , and maybe we might run into each other again?" There was a moment of silience as the two got dressed. "What about tonight? I mean it's still your birthday, I'd expect you to be there." Tonight? Damn he hated being put in these situations, it was his own fault though.

Uhm, s-sure, tonight is fine. fully dressed he turned to a cotten dress slipping over a slim figure. A motion of the door as they both walked out. "Well I guess I'll see you tonight?" he heard her say as he quickly walked away to avoid conversation. Before he knew it, he was already down the street where he would make a right then another where his location would be straight ahead.

The Valkalah Library, a home away from home. "Cas! Welcome back.

"Zander" the human greeted the Akalak. It was confusing at first for him to tell the two brothers apart, but after suggesting they both adress him with a different name, it became a lot easier for the most part. "I could actually use your help.

The large man gave a grunt. "What is it that you need?"

"A book on philtering please." The Akalak took a moment to finish hearing the sentence before giving a nod and disappearing for a moment. Cas relaxed. He needed the book for studying his medicine among other things. he enjoyed the quietness of the library. To not be bothered by the noise of the world for a moment.
Casanova DeGhetto
Player

Words: 11478
Joined roleplay: June 30th, 2017, 12:07 am
Race: Human

Postby Orin Fenix on July 7th, 2017, 5:53 am

Waking up the past few days had been a chore for Orin, though not because he'd been up late the night before or been drinking excessively, or anything along those lines. No, it was because of his injuries. Why in the world did I think that testing for Kuvan status was a good idea? he asked himself daily, looking at the fresh tattoo on his left wrist as he did so. It was a mark that would forever change his life, at least for as long as he remained in Riverfall, and Akalaks everywhere at least would recognize Orin’s status. Still, it was too soon to tell whether the mark was worth the pain Orin had gone through to get it.

Ever since his combat trial at the beginning of the season, Orin had been bruised basically all over his body, but the worst had to be the ugly purple marks on his ribs that made it hurt to breathe and the swollen mass that was his wrist. Testing both, Orin was pleased to see that his wrist, at least, was more functional today than yesterday, based on the fact that it bent more easily than yesterday, even if trying to push it to far caused his wrist to spasm. Groaning, Orin flopped back into his bed. It looked like today would be yet another day of rest. Supposedly in celebration of his newfound rights and responsibilities, the chef had been given a few days off from work, but in reality, it was in deference to his injuries. A chef without two hands wasn't a very useful chef at all, and Orin was growing restless. There wasn't much that he could do. Physical tasks were completely out; even if he could shoulder through the pain, Prim figured that resting his body was the fastest way to recovery. He didn't have any friends to visit, given the fact that he'd been a loner basically his entire time here. That left mental tasks, and nothing immediately sprang to mind.

It looked like yet another day in bed, but Orin was sick and tired of acting like an invalid when he was mostly fine. Petch that. His mind still worked after all, even if it did go hazy from pain every now and again. So Orin was going to go out, even if it killed him, which it wouldn't. Without a specific destination in mind, Orin decided that he'd go somewhere that would stretch his mental muscles. His legs worked too, and a walk would probably do him some good.

First, though, Orin had to dress. Putting on clothes with one hand was not for the faint of heart, especially when every movement caused something in Orin’s body to twinge. He was doing just fine until he got to his shirt, though. That, unfortunately proved a challenge, as Orin had to contend with both his wrist and his ribs. After much wrangling, Orin managed to get most of the shirt on. Bracing himself, he slid his injured wrist through the hole. The world went white with pain for a moment, but Orin managed not to pass out this time. On the first day, when he'd actually tried to go to work, he not only took a bell to get dressed, he actually had fallen unconscious from the pain. Progress!

Orin briefly debated bringing his daggers with him but eventually decided against it. If anyone attacked, he wouldn't be able to defend himself, so he'd probably just run away. Maybe not very courageous, but he'd live to flee another day. Faced with a decision, Orin resolved to make his way to Valkalah Library. The Library was renowned throughout Riverfall as being quite the repository of knowledge. Even if it didn't have everything, it was a good place to start looking. Consulting his map, Orin was pleased to note that it appeared to be only a short walk down the road. That he could definitely handle.

With the route memorized, Orin set off. It was later than he usually got out, and he'd unfortunately missed the sunrise. While it was too late for his traditional prayer to Syna and Leth, Orin turned to the distant Watchtower. Bowing his head, Orin offered up a slight prayer to Priskil. ”Priskil, lady of light, she of the eternal watch, may you banish the darkness within and without, and may you help those who stand steadfast against evil. And, as always, may your watch be ended soon.”[/b] It was a little generic, but Orin didn't have anything more specific in mind. Besides, it was the thought that counted, and it wasn't as if Priskil listened to the plea of a simple chef. The prayer, while clearly for her, also gave Orin a sense of routine and a sense of purpose. No matter how dark he felt inside, he should always strive to spread a little light and hope wherever he went.

Walking along the road, Orin examined the faces of the people walking past. Nothing seemed different now that Orin had become a Kuvan, but truth was it opened up a whole world of possibilities. Soon enough, Orin arrived at what he hoped was Valkalah Library. Entering the building, Orin took a moment to admire the beautiful wood that made up everything inside, the large windows, and the rows and rows of books. This last part was clearly the most exciting to him. Back in Syliras, knowledge was severely restricted, and Orin still found it remarkable how much freedom everyone had here. Except of course the slaves. Orin frowned. He hated the practice but wasn't sure what one human could do in the city of Akalaks. Still, it was a thought for another day.

Making his way to the front desk, Orin smiled brightly at the Akalak seated behind it. Whatever Orin might think about their customs, he was always nice to individuals he was asking for assistance. It seemed to make most of them much more inclined to listen to his requests. ”Hello there. I'm Orin Fenix. It's nice to meet you. I was hoping you could help me with some projects of mine.” Orin extended his right hand to shake before remembering his injury. Leaving it there hanging awkwardly for a tick, Orin finally let it drop back down to his side.

The librarian, for his part, didn't blink an eye. ”Welcome to Valkalah Library. My name is Zandar. How may I be of assistance?”

Orin grinned, pleased that his slip up had been ignored. ”What sort of books do you have here?” There were a lot, but knowing Akalaks, Orin didn't exactly peg them as the scholarly types.

Therefore, the librarian’s answer surprised him. [color=#FFFFFF]”We have tomes on every subject you could think of, from magic to philosophy and religion to, of course, war and the martial arts.”
There was an amused glint in the Zandar’s eyes, as if the Akalak was used to shocking people with that answer. ”If we don't have the volume you're looking for, we will acquire it for you and send you a message when we have. It's a proud tradition of ours, to be able to lay our hands on anything and everything.”

Orin thought they were right to be proud. That much knowledge, available to the public, was baffling to him. Confronted with the fact that he had so many subjects to guide from, Orin tried to figure out what most struck his interest. Remembering something that he'd done in the past, but hadn't had the chance to work on in ages, since it was a relatively obscure practice, Orin knew what he should request. ”Do you have a section on philtering? Both general knowledge and specifically as it might be used in cooking?”

Zandar nodded, though there was an amused glint in the librarian’s eye that Orin did not understand. ”We certainly do. Although I have to say I’m surprised, because the chances of two people seeking such an obscure subject on the same day do seem small. Sure you're not meeting someone here?”

Orin shook his head, but he could feel excitement building in his chest. If someone else was here to study philtering, then maybe this fellow knowledge seeker was an actual philterer. If so, they could help Orin sift through the knowledge more efficiently. ”No I'm not but if there's someone else here interested in the subject, I'd love to meet them.”

The Akalak nodded. ”Tell you what, why don’t you go talk to him, while I fetch your books for you? He’s right down there.” Zandar pointed at a spot farther into the library, near one of the tables.

Orin nodded his appreciation. ”I think I’ll do that. Thank you so much, you’ve been quite helpful.” With that out of the way, Orin began making his way towards the man in the distance. His target was dark skinned and huge, especially for a human. Even from a distance Orin could see that this man would tower over the chef. The other man had a shaved head, and brown eyes that accentuated his strong nose and full lips. When he was close enough that the chatter wouldn’t interrupt anyone else in the library, Orin began speaking. ”Hello there! Sorry to bother you, but Zandar back there told me that you were looking into philtering. I just so happen to be here with the same task.” Luckily, Orin had learned from his mistake earlier, and did not try to shake this man’s hand. ”I’m Orin Fenix. Pleased to meet you.” Orin found that if he just kept talking people eventually just accepted his presence, and hopefully that strategy would work well here. ”I only have a little bit of experience with philtering myself, and mostly use it in the kitchen. But I’m hoping to improve. Why are you looking into the subject? Are you an actual philterer?” Orin couldn’t possibly have gotten that lucky.
Last edited by Orin Fenix on July 12th, 2017, 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Casanova DeGhetto on July 8th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Zander went and returned back with multiple books in his muscular hand. "Here they are." the blue man spoke in a cheerful tone. Everyone could tell that the llibrarian took pride in his work. There wasn't a book that the two brothers didn't know in these halls. "Made any new friends?" Zander asked. Cas gave a silient sigh. He loathed when the Akalak tried to configure his life for him. He understood the kindness and sinserity of the comment, but it still put him in a slight mood. He could understand where the man was coming from though. If anyone wanted to find Cas, they just had to come to the library. He was there everyday at some point. He didn't need friends, they came with new outlooks on things, skewed outlooks, and he was not about to dumb himself down for "friendship"

"I find you to be my friend" Cas tried to lay it on thick, but the Akalak saw right through it. "Only because you're studying us." Zander shot back lightly. Nov's muscles twitched. He was right, the dark skinned man was indeed studying the Akalak brothers. Merely due to the fact that they were the only two Akalaks he knew that woudn't punch him in the face when approached. His research was on Akalaks and what made them tick. How did the two souls operate inside one body? There were so many questions he had, but that would be for another time. Giving an awkward smile, he slowly slid the books from the massive hands of Zander into his own before sheepishly walking away.

It was easier to find a seat in the library than the bar, mostly bcause many people would rather get drunk than to read, "Typical" he whispered under his breath. Sitting down off from the entrance but far enough to not be easily noticed or bothered, Cas began his studying. He had grown a liking to philtering, after a few bad gadgets went to shyke and introduced him to medicine. He'd seen the potential in the art and wanted to use it for his trade. So there he was, locked into the book, eyes skimming back and forth along the lines only to go back if he misred or misunderstood something. He heard the sound of talking, Zander helping another patron that visited the building.

"Hello there! Sorry to bother you, but Zander back there told me that you were looking into philtering. I just so happen to be here with the same task.”

It took him a moment to realize that the voice was meant for him to hear, peeping up from his book to see the man standing before him. He was short, lean but not muscular. Black hair and pale skin, that couldn't be anymore opposite in color, and made his blue eyes pop. Nov also noticed that the man was badly bruised and swollen in places, giving a quick glance around the man, he saw Zander standing, looking at books with a slight "cheeky" smile resting upon his face. That damned Akalak.

"’m Orin Fenix. Pleased to meet you" The man still stood there. ”I only have a little bit of experience with philtering myself, and mostly use it in the kitchen. But I’m hoping to improve. Why are you looking into the subject? Are you an actual philterer?”

Was he an actual philterer? No, but still why would he be in the library studying philtering if he wasn't aiming for the goal. Cas refused to have his intelligence tested. "Did you actually get your ass handed to you?" he shot back in the same tone the man used.

"Hey Nov, I found another book that I think you might be interested in." His shoulders shivered at the words. Not because of another book, but it was Kvanth who was bringing it. Kvanth was Zander's dark brother, and Cas didn't have a problem with him. He was actually just as nice as Zander. He was just...intimidating. It felt like he forced Cas to do things like make friends and be social. All that were good, but it felt uneasy, like Kvanth would gut him if he didn't try to make friends. "Ah I see you've met Orin, he's also interested in philtering, Zander had sent him this way. Well here's your book, I will leave you two to your studies." And with a pat on the shoulder, the man went back to the desk. Cas let out a sigh.

"Casanova, Cas, Nov, Nova. Which ever one you wish to call me. Yes, I am studying philtereing though i'm not an experienced philterer, not yet. I'm studying to apply it's knowledge to medicine. He gave the beaten man another look up and down. "He could make a perfect practice subject. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind seeing that it's to help him." he thought to himself. He motioned for the man to sit.

"So, Orin? How does a man studying philtering for cooking end up getting his ass kicked and a swollen wrist?" He asked investigated the new book titled "Socialization". That damned Akalak, he grunted as he placed the book on a random shelf, knowing that it would make the man uneasy to have a book in the wrong spot. Two could play that game.
Casanova DeGhetto
Player

Postby Orin Fenix on July 9th, 2017, 4:09 am

Orin’s eyebrow quirked up at the tall man’s reply to the chef’s introduction, and Orin was concerned that the other man was contemptuous of someone with injuries. It was pretty rude, as responses went, for a variety of reasons. Still, Orin wouldn’t let it deter him. After all, this might be his only opportunity in Priskil knows how long until he’d get the chance to talk shop with someone who wasn’t just a pure chef, and Orin wasn’t going to let a little complication such as incompatible personalities stop him from learning about philtering. He’d just have to as charming as possible.

Thinking for a moment, Orin grinned before quipping, “Why yes, yes I did. But really, you should see the other guy.” It was a terrible and corny joke, and Orin shrugged to acknowledge that fact. To be perfectly honest, it still stung how badly Orin had been defeated. While he’d still somehow managed to pass the test, his pride had been wounded, and he had decided that as soon as he was feeling up to the challenge he was going to step up his training. Especially now that Akalaks who routinely honed their skills essentially from birth surrounded him, Orin felt that he needed to work harder and smarter to even compare with them.

Still, nothing could be done about that until Orin healed, and the chef needed to focus on the situation at hand. Before Orin could actually try and persuade the tall man to let Orin stick around and maybe even do research together, but the two of the were interrupted by the librarian, who greeted the other human very familiarly. The Akalak handed the human he called Nov, a very unusual name. Nov didn’t seem to be too thrilled to see Zandar, which was odd, seeing as the librarian had just done him a favor. However, that wasn’t the most puzzling part of the whole situation. When the Akalak mentioned that he’d sent Orin to find Nov, it sounded as if the librarian was speaking of another person entirely. It was odd, and as soon as the librarian was out of earshot, Orin turned conspiratorially to Nov, keeping his voice pitched low just in case. “I’m confused. Does Zandar always refer to himself in the third person?” It was odd, but it was a mystery that could wait.

Nov finally introduced himself, which Orin noted took quite a bit of time. Seeing as Zandar had already introduced them, albeit indirectly, Orin wondered if Nov would ever had shared his name. Apparently the full name was Casanova, but Orin decided to stick with the nickname that Zandar had used. “Well, Nov, as I said, it’s always nice to meet another seeker of knowledge.” When Nov finally admitted to the chef that he was studying philtering, but not actually a philterer himself, Orin nodded. “You’re a doctor? That’s useful. And it sounds like we’re here for a pretty similar reason.” While the cook wanted to get right down to it and say the two of them should work together, for some reason his instincts were telling him to take it slow.

As Nov once again brought up Orin’s injuries, the chef tried not to let his annoyance show. Really? We’re back to that? He had come here to get away from thinking about the whole situation, and now it kept getting shoved in his face. Have to stay cheerful. And polite. Orin just wished that Nov would work with him a little here. Jokingly, Orin explained the source of his injuries. “Well, you know how it is, a human walks into a Kuvan test, a human barely walks out of a Kuvan test, it happens to the best of us.” Waving his left hand with its new tattoo, Orin couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride. “But I passed, so I guess I got the last laugh.”

Noticing Nov rejecting the book that Zandar brought out, Orin frowned, especially when his fellow human placed the book on a random shelf. That couldn’t make life easier for the librarian who’d been nothing but kind and professional so far. Wandering over to the book, meaning to just drop it off at the front desk on his way out, Orin scanned the title. Ah. Looks like someone is trying to play matchmaker. Orin glanced curiously in the direction the Akalak went in, but the chef couldn’t see the dark-skinned giant from where he currently stood. Taking the book, Orin placed it face down on the table. It was probably time for him to get serious. “Look. I’d like to be your friend, but frankly that’s not important.” Taking a deep breath, Orin continued. “What is important is that I think I can help you and you can help me. Why don’t we share information, compare notes?” Nodding at the volume currently in front of Nov, Orin suggested, “Starting with that right there, perhaps?”
Last edited by Orin Fenix on July 12th, 2017, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Casanova DeGhetto on July 12th, 2017, 4:02 am

He noticed the man's face change expression for a moment before regaining his composure. "A temper? A chef that angers easily, and that trians to fight Akalaks." Cas spoke to himself. I could be a possible lie. What were this man's true intentions? Or was he really just all over the place with his life? Cooking, fighting, philering. What did all this equal up to? What was his drive? Cas wanted to be the best of the best at anything he put his mind to.

It was then that he'd heard the man's awful joke, asking of zander's personality, and telling the story of which he gained his newly branded tattoo by passing this "Kuvan" test. This intruiged Cas. To gain a higher ranking in society among these lower beings by besting an Akalak in his own ninche, his own world, his natural habitat. It was irony a-

"I'm confused. Does Zander always refer himself in third person?"

The question sat in the air as if someone had passed gas from their backends. Cas felt insulted a bit and it began to anger him. Was this some form of joke from the gods, or even Zander? Akalak reaserch was his biggest personal project thus far, and by a mere "coincidence" a man who just so happened to be studying the same subject as him, shows up badly bruised from an Akalak fight, and has the audacity to not know about the twin souls?

" If I may ask a serious question this time? How did you past a test fighting Akalaks and not know about the twin souls? He could feel the itch of incompentent annoyance bitting in the back of his head. Orin still going on about the test, retrieved the book that he'd purposely misplaced and glanced upon it causing him to focus back to his original reason for being here.

“Look. I’d like to be your friend, but frankly that’s not important.” Orin started before taking a breath. “What is important is that I think I can help you and you can help me. Why don’t we share information, compare notes?”

Cas had to admit it, he did have a point. Would he really befriend Orin though? They both had an interest in philtering, that was a start. The man did seem intelligent, if he still was closed minded. There was potential, the question was, did Cas have the patience to actually befriend someone? Logically speaking, it would be nice to have someone around, to get a second opinion from time to time, and it would get Zander off his back a bit. He gave another look at the man. How much did he know really? An idea.

"Tell ya what." Cas started speaking improper common when he got excited. He clapped the book shut. You really need to patch yourself up. Why don't we take a trip to the market and pick up some supplies? I could practice my medicine,
and you could cook dinner since you're a chef."
he added sarcasmn on the last word, seeing that he still half way didn't believe this guys story. "That way we could compare notes, and see what we both have to offer. It could help with our studies." He was a bit anxious to begin this "friendship". Not so much of the friends part, but the part where he could possibly learn something new. He began collecting the books, including the one on socialization, and began carrying them to hopefully Zander standing at the counter for check out. "So tell me Orin, how often do you get ya ass handed to you?"
Casanova DeGhetto
Player

Postby Orin Fenix on July 12th, 2017, 11:10 am

Nov whispered something under his breath that Orin did not catch. Narrowing his eyes at the other man, the chef debated telling Nov that talking about people either behind their back or when they were standing right there was rude, but somehow Orin didn’t think that the other man would and appreciate it, and Orin hadn’t given up hope that he could learn something from Nov. So the chef changed tactics. “What’s that? I didn’t quite hear you.” Hopefully that would embarrass the other man enough that he actually spoke to Orin, instead of about Orin. If it didn’t work, well, Orin at least had attempted it.

The response to the chef’s question about Zandar’s method of using the third-person was not what Orin had expected. Casanova looked absolutely shocked that Orin would even ask a question like that, and for the life of him Orin couldn’t determine why. Zandar had been speaking really oddly, Nov seemed familiar with the librarian, and so it seemed natural that Orin ask the question that would’ve been on any reasonable person’s mind. Casanova was acting as if Orin had committed some terrible faux pas. Maybe the chef had – Orin wasn’t exactly always keyed in to the subtleties of social situations, unless he was focusing – but unless it was some Riverfall custom he was unaware of, which was entirely possible, Orin thought everything he’d done had made sense.

Then, Nov responded to Orin’s question with another question and Orin was more confused than ever. “I don’t understand,” Orin began slowly. “I’ve never heard of these twin souls that you refer to.” Deciding that the situation had grown far too serious far too quickly Orin tried to break the tension with a joke, as was his habit when he grew nervous, a habit he’d never been able to break. “Akalaks can be pretty extreme with their emotions though, I’d be the first to admit that. They all seem to need a spa day all the time.” It wasn’t even funny, but Orin couldn’t come up with much better. As for the test, Orin shrugged, and then winced, having forgotten his ribs. “I assume they bleed just like every else? Regardless of the number of souls they have? Regardless, they assessed my combat skills, and I passed.” Admittedly Orin had actually lost the fight but that wasn’t something he thought would be relevant to this conversation, or information that he wanted out in the world.

Casanova seemed to respond much better to Orin’s more straightforward approach to the situation and Orin made a mental note to continue to be direct in his interactions with the other man. It wasn’t Orin’s preferred method of communication but if it worked then Orin wasn’t going to challenge it. However, when Nov suggested that they leave the library, Orin grew wary. Besides, even if he trusted Nov and Nov’s information, which so far he didn’t, Orin had a policy not to let strangers into his home or to enter into the home of strangers. That was a quick way to get hurt or dead really quickly.

Besides, Orin was beginning to suspect that maybe Casanova couldn’t help him after all. Perhaps it was time to put the self-assured man to the test. After all, if Nov was going to judge Orin for his lack of knowledge on obscure subjects than Orin thought it was only fair to do the same. Carefully, Orin decided how to proceed. “I don’t think so. At least, not yet.” That established, Orin quickly continued, “I’m happy to exchange services, but I’m not taking you to my home or going to yours. I’m sorry, I just don’t know you well enough yet.” Orin wasn’t really sorry but it seemed appropriate to say under the circumstances. A complete rejection seemed a bit extreme, so Orin decided to offer a compromise. “I can take you to the place I work, which is more comfortable anyway and has more space.” It was also in a highly public area, not that Orin would mention that.

However, even that wasn’t going to happen until Orin received some assurance that Casanova was going to help the chef learn some philtering. It was, after all, the reason he’d come here, to acquire knowledge, not to go gallivanting about the city with a man he’d just met. “I’d be happy to trade notes as well. First, though I need to know something.” Orin was getting tired of Nov’s attitude, and the chef thought it was time to do something about it. Sitting down, Orin snagged the book Nov had been browsing, not caring what the other man thought at this current moment in time. It was called ‘A Philterer’s Primer,’ the last word of which Orin didn’t recognize. Opening to the first page, Orin read aloud, quietly, but loud enough for Casanova to hear, “Philtering is the art of reducing objects to their most concentrated state. It is used extensively in medicine, perfume making, cooking, and even in magic. Typically, but not always, the end result is a potion that the maker has infused with special qualities. Heat is the most common method for teasing out ingredient’s essences, but other techniques can and often are used, either alone or in conjunction with one another.” Finishing the section, Orin snapped the book closed.

Orin, sick and tired of Nov’s condescension, which Orin received more than enough of from the Akalaks, had decided to stop playing as nice. While normally he caught more flies with honey than with vinegar, this particular fly was proving to be particularly stubborn. Orin wasn’t going to be insulted by anyone. He hated bullies and Nov, with his superior attitude, was acting like one. “Less often now that I’ve begun training extensively,” Orin responded flatly to Nov’s question about losing fights. With an amused smile, Orin added, "I'd be more than happy to show you what I've learned." It wasn't a threat, more of a warning, and even though Orin was injured, he thought he could push through the pain if he had to teach Nov a lesson in manners.

Now, though, Orin had a question of his own. “So tell me, Casanova,” hitting the consonants in the other man’s name hard, “What can you tell me that this book can’t?”
Last edited by Orin Fenix on July 15th, 2017, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Casanova DeGhetto on July 15th, 2017, 5:04 am

Cas was about to make his way to the desk when Orin stopped him short with a quick question. He could tell that Orin was a bit "agitated" by the tone of his voice, but in all actuality he'd brought in on himself. But Cas was not one to be easily overpowered mentally. His personality would not let him have it. He was vindictive, callow, and simply did not care. He hit low and hard and always had to get the last word no matter the cost. He held back with Orin though, he didn't know if it was of Zander, or because he'd found someone for him to practice his medicine on for research. But he really started to feel the want of his....Acquaintance.

"Excuse me?" Cas responded, taking a mental sigh so he did not let the wrong things slip out of his mouth.

“I don’t understand,” Orin began slowly. “I’ve never heard of these twin souls that you refer to."

“Akalaks can be pretty extreme with their emotions though, I’d be the first to admit that. They all seem to need a spa day all the time.”

“I assume they bleed just like every else? Regardless of the number of souls they have? Regardless, they assessed my combat skills, and I passed.”

His tension began to release once the questions of the Akalak's twin souls resurfaced. This was common ground for them. Something that could grow from the discussion. He could work with this.

Ok, so this is why you think Zander is talking in third person. It is because he is not only Zander, but he is also Kvanth, Zanders dark brother...Or ligh brother, I haven't figured it out yet." He mentioned whilst taking a sigh.

"[/b]This is one of the reasons fathers almost immediately take their sons from the birth mother. Young Akalak, although well-balanced until their secondary soul emerges, can be quite dangerous because there is no way to predict when a second personality will emerge. The rule of thumb is, the older the Akalak is when the dark brother or light brother appears, the stronger that opposing personality will be and the more dangerous that individual Akalak can become due to the potential for emotional instability. It is generally far safer for the males to raise the children, because they understand the signs of unbalance and because the Akalak are driven by the need to protect females that do manage to produce offspring for them.[/b]"

Cas spoke, giving a quick summery on a side note he'd learned in school about Akalak culture. "Basically put, some Akalaks are not one, but two totally different people mentally. They talk different, walk, eat, sleep, feel, even fight different. Applying that to your test, you could have started out fighting one personality and ended fighting another. Pretty impressive, IF you fought one that met that criteria. I mean, pfft you only passed." Cas ended not wanting to give the man too much credit. After all, he had to get the last laugh.

That last laugh may have been a little too much for the other human as it was now obvious that he was trying to hold his composure as his temper flared underneath the calm face with veins popping from his face.

“I don’t think so. At least, not yet.” Orin spoke on, Nov's suggestion of treating his swollen wrist and getting a cooked meal in return.

“I’m happy to exchange services, but I’m not taking you to my home or going to yours. I’m sorry, I just don’t know you well enough yet. I can take you to the place I work, which is more comfortable anyway and has more space.”

Cas understood completely. In actuality, he would have suspected Orin more of being a liar if he would have went along with it so easily. What was he going to do though? He truly didn't know how to fight, even with Orin being injured. A mental note "Learn how to fight." It was then that he felt the lightness of the book leaving his hands and resting in Orin's who began reading the introduction of the book loud enough to show that he was trying to prove a point. Placing the book down, he looked to Cas and followed up with a mild threat.

"So, CaSaNoVa." the added sarcasm impressed him he had to admit with a sly smirk. "What can you tell me that this book can’t?”

He did not know how to handle this. Half of him wanted to let Onion Ring have it, while the other half kinda wanted to have someone with the same interests. Trying to deescalate the situation to the best of his ability.

"Well, I CAN tell you, that I can't tell you anything about the book because you popped up distracting me while I was trying to read it." he started off offensively. "But maybe, if we work together we can both find out something new." That part sounded generic and foreign coming out of his mouth. But he wasn't done. Picking up the book titled "Socialization" he mimicked Orin.

" Socialization refers to the process of learning one’s culture, behavior, and lifestyle, and how to live within it. He spoke as if he were teaching a class as he closed the book with a loud clap and looked at Orin. Check mate.

"Your wrist is swollen very largely, bruised and not broken seeing that you are not grieving in pain. The same goes for your ribs." Nov mentioned. It was only the obvious, but he was pretty sure chef boy didn't know much about medicine and tending to wounds. "I'd be glad to trade services with you as well as study philtering. The place you suggested is fine." He finished with an extended hand for a shake. Orin was smart, and had a different way of thinking. Persistent if not strong willed with his decisions he made, even if they were a bit, sketchy. Still though, he had potential
Casanova DeGhetto
Player

Postby Orin Fenix on July 15th, 2017, 11:49 am

This whole encounter was not going very well, and Orin was pretty confident in saying that it was not his fault. In fact, the chef had been going out of his way attempt to be polite to the other man, and the other man was definitely not making it easy, or even possible. Orin normally wouldn’t mind, since everyone had different upbringings and values. Still, though Orin could see why Zandar may have been trying to force a friendship between the two humans. Frankly, if Casanova was this abrasive to everyone, Orin could imagine it was quite difficult for the other man to make friends. Then, just when Orin was starting to feel bad for Nov, Nov decided to try and act like nothing had been said about Orin under Nov’s breath. “I heard you. Don’t try and pretend it didn’t happen,” Orin responded tartly. This whole situation was getting rockier by the tick, and Orin was having trouble finding it within him to care.

Apparently something that Orin had mentioned had caused a strange reaction to overcome Casanova. Orin could tell the other man was struggling with something, based on the way Nov was reacting to what Orin was saying. Still, nothing Orin had mentioned, about Zandar at least, had been an unusual observation. However, when Casanova finally started explaining, Orin figured out why the other man might have been so flabbergasted by Orin’s comments.

The chef frowned, considered what Casanova was trying to teach. That can’t be true, Orin thought stubbornly. He’d been in Riverfall long enough, and been around Akalaks often enough, that if this twin souls notion were true, he surely would have heard of it. However, if it was the case that every Akalak had two souls in one body, it actually might explain some of the discrepancies Orin had observed about Riverfall culture. “That’s…a fascinating concept,” Orin admitted grudgingly. “But how do you know it to be true?” It seemed like an impossible theory to prove. However, Orin’s natural curiosity was getting the better of him. “Why are there two souls? Why are they called light and dark? How is it determined which soul is in control? Why some Akalaks and not all of them?” There were definitely more questions but Orin didn’t want to overwhelm Casanova, because that would be rude and rudeness still went against Orin’s principles.

Orin gritted his teeth. He’d been willing to give this Casanova character the benefit of the doubt. But frankly, if Casanova wasn’t to make even the slightest overture towards being respectful to his conversational partner, Orin didn’t see any reason why he would have to either. Nov kept bringing up Orin’s test and didn’t seem to understand that Orin had no interest in discussing it further. Still, Orin wasn’t willing to back off, now that he’d committed to confronting Casanova. Perhaps a new approach was necessary though. “Tell you what,” Orin said with a faked bright cheerfulness. “Why don’t you go take the Kuvan test and then we can compare notes. And injuries.” The taller man didn’t carry himself like a fighter, and Orin didn’t see any weapons, which led the chef to pretty reasonably conclude that Casanova would be thrashed if he tried to take the Kuvan test. Maybe that knowledge would get Nov to finally be quiet about what he considered to be some sort of failing on Orin’s part.

Orin’s little maneuver had seemingly put Casanova on the defensive, which made Orin happy in one of the darker sections of his soul. Orin deeply disliked bullies, and he’d come to the conclusion that Casanova, as much as the other man tried to disguise it, was a bully. One Nov was placed in that category in Orin’s mind the chef wasn’t going to feel an ounce of remorse about treating Nov as hostile. Frankly, Casanova was acting in an aggressive manner towards Orin. As far as Orin knew, nothing he’d done or said to Casanova, at first at least, should’ve been considered problematic.

Hilariously, Casanova was trying to mimic Orin in some sort of strange masculine one-upmanship. It was funny, really. Orin didn’t typically get competitive, angry or annoyed that easily, at least, not on the surface. However, one skill that had been drilled in him since birth, and that was being polite and above all maintaining appearances. Sure, Orin didn’t always follow that rule, because social situations weren’t a particular strong suit for him. But he strived to always be kind and courteous, even when he was acting like a fool in public. Besides, Orin didn’t gain his self-confidence from trying to put himself over other people. He knew he was the best at what he did, which tended to do wonders for the self-esteem.

So Orin didn’t need to play Casanova’s game to feel good. Still, Orin was more than willing to knock the other man down as many pegs as was necessary. Clicking his tongue, Orin shook his head at Casanova. “See, you didn’t answer my question. Actually, you know, listening to your conversation partners instead of jumping to conclusions about what they meant or they prowess at something would make your whole life easier.” Lowering the book on philtering, slightly, Orin smiled at Casanova, but the smile was faked and clearly didn’t reach the chef’s eyes. “I asked you what you could tell me about philtering that this book couldn’t. So far that’s nothing.” Orin laughed when Casanova finally asked to work together. “You’ve been nothing but rude and condescending to me since we’ve met. Those are not qualities I, or anyone, find endearing. So, since you don’t have knowledge I don’t” – in fact, Orin thought he knew more than Nov did about philtering – “and I get the impression you don’t even want me here, if you’re serious about working together, you’re going to have to convince me.”

When Casanova started reading from the Socialization book, Orin chuckled. Clearly the other man was trying to make some sort of profound point, but seeing as he’d missed the reason for Orin’s own lesson from the philtering tome, it didn’t land with the sting Nov probably thought it would have. “See, here’ the problem. I know all about socialization. Generally, feigning interest in other people, not talking about them under your breath, and using your manners are considered good form when speaking with others.” Orin nodded at the book in Casanova’s hands. “See? Knowledge that book probably can’t give you.” Having made his own point, Orin picked up the philtering book to read further.

‘Philtering typically requires a quite elaborate set of tools. While it can be done without a laboratory specifically set up to handle philtering, with more advanced potions, the risk of a dangerous interaction goes way up, and without the protections built into a lab, philterers are at risk of becoming injured or even dying. Beyond that, certain potions can only be made with the specialized equipment.” Orin frowned, trying to absorb that. It made sense, though. Basic cooking could be done on a campfire, but the more advanced work needed the elaborate kitchens Orin was now used to working with.

Casanova apparently wasn’t done with Orin, though, and the chef was actually surprised by the latest development. “Yes, thank you, I had no idea about my own set of injuries,” Orin had replied drily. Still, although Orin didn’t think he’d misjudged Casanova, perhaps the other man was capable of bending just enough for Orin to work with. “Alright. We can relocate, assuming we bring this book with us.” However, when Casanova held out a hand to shake, Orin shook his head and held up his own wrist. “You know, for a doctor, I might’ve thought you would discourage me from unnecessary wrist movements.” Orin would have to drill the tendency for thinking about others into Casanova’s head if the two men were to spend any significant amount of time together.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Casanova DeGhetto on July 15th, 2017, 2:16 pm

"Then why would you ask if I'd said something?" Cas shot back. "Sorry dude, you walked into that one." he mocked. Though he obviously wouldn't admit it to Orin, he actually enjoyed this interaction. It felt nice to have someone who could dish it out, if not as well as he. One thing Cas hadn't figured out though, was why was Orin so persistent on befriending him. Most people would have already up and left, if not knock his lights out first. His mouth had gotten him into lots of trouble throughout his life. It was something that he'd actually grown accustomed to. He knew that he was difficult to deal with, but it was necessary. Weak minded people bring you down, and if Orin was strong enough to deal with Cas mentally, then they possibly could make this "friendship" thing work. Or at least that's how Cas looked at it.

Orin had broken Nov's train of thought once again with a speed round of questions about the Akalaks two souls. It was noted that this topic was a recovery point for the conversation. When ever the conversation had gotten too intense, the two seemed to regroup their consciousness at Akalak and how they work. "Hm, you seem like a very intelligent man after all." Cas thought out loud. He literally bit his tongue trying to not follow up with a sarcastic remark.

"To answer your questions though, as far as why they have two souls, I haven't researched them enough to figure that out, but some Akalaks have two souls from birth. In most Akalaks, the dominant personality, referred to as the light brother due to the fact that they are in control for most of the time, controls everything dealing with the body and mind while the dark brother, the submissive persona, watches from inside their shared mind." Cas tried to make it as understandable as possible. He hoped that he wasn't loosing the man.

Generally speaking, the term light and dark have nothing to do with personality. Either soul could be good, bad, or in some cases both. It's kinda like two people in one body. All in all though, which ever soul has the strongest will power controls the body. Unless their like Zander and Kvanth who share the body from time to time. Based on my research and knowledge of the subject. Everything that happens between the two souls is based on willpower and mental strength. The reason that some Akalaks don't have two souls is because in a sense, one soul killed the other and took full control of the body by completely overpowering the other soul to the point where it couldn't exist. This usually happens in Akalaks with two opposite personas that can't get along, or sometimes on accident. If the good persona wins, then you have a regular Akalak with a single soul. But if the bad soul wins, they may possibly become a Cerulean. I don't know how deep this really runs out side theory and limited observation, but I hypothesize that maybe the two souls feel pain differently too.

Cas leaned back in his chair, pondering his thoughts. Take Zander and Kvanth for instance." He nodded towards the librarian. "If they were to go into battle, and Zander grew tired thus letting Kvanth take over, would Kvanth be tired as well? Do Akalaks share fatigue or allergies, can one soul be tired while the other is wide awake? Raising his hand, it was a short moment before the librarian made his way over to the table.

"How are things going with you two-"

"Horrible, but I am teaching Orin about Akalaks and their two souls and was hoping that you could switch to who ever you're currently not?"

The Akalak paused, giving Nov a "Really, you're doing this thing again?" look before continuing with the conversation.

"So like I asked, how are things going with you two and your work?" Cas hated when the Akalak did that, and he knew it. Cas had known Zander for nearly all his life. The library was his home away from home, but through rain and snow, the Akalak was always here. The two had a, special type of friendship, if it could be called that. When ever Cas needed books Zander gave them, when ever Zander wanted to have a conversation, Cas tried at least. He wasn't one for general conversation. Returning back to the conversation. "Things were going good, could you please?"

"I find it very thoughtful of you to want to learn a bit about my culture, Orin." The librarian thanked the man. "What made you want to learn about it? I see you've passed the kuvan test, congratulations." Zander was making him wait. He knew this for a fact, and even though he did, it still ate him on the inside. Cas was an impatient person, he hated waiting, especially for simple tasks and unnecessary things. He would not let the Akalak best him, not this time as he twiddled his thumbs while the two had their conversation about who knew what. It was none of his business, so he didn't pay attention as he took the chance to skim through the book that he'd gotten earlier.

"Chromatography

This is a supplementary process used for identification. The appearance of some substances can be tested thus identifying what they are. A sample of an unknown substance is dissolved in water and poured through a tube lined with papyrus or paper. Elements and compounds within the unknown sample move through the tube and paper at varying speeds and the colors line up in bands on the paper. Philterers can then identify components within the sample based on the colored bands and in turn have a better chance at identifying the unknown sample." He read quietly from the book.

"Cas, Cas! I thought you'd want to see this for you research too." The bellowing voice pulled him from his reading. Looking up, he saw Zander take a step back. Zander closed his eyes, taking deep breaths, allowing his body to relax. A moment passed and a slight jolt of his body before he took another breath and opened his eyes. "Hello Orin, allow me to properly introduce myself. I'm Kvanth." The Akalak gave a nod. Cas was trying to hide his cheeky "I told you so" smile as the two carried on. "I'm sure that you must have many questions, but it looks as if I'm needed at the desk, maybe Nov here can answer some of your questions." Kvanth dismissed himself.

"Thanks to you both." He whispered out to the large blue man before turning back to Orin. [b]"Okay, I proved my point, and you proved yours. Now if we are done seeing whose ego is bigger, would you like to study?" He was growing tired of this going back and forth. He'd even let the comment about his knowledge slide this time if it meant that he'd actually get some work done today. Deciding to take the initiative, he re-introduced himself.

"Let's start over? Hi there, my name is Casanova DeGhetto, but most call me Cas or Nov, or Nova. I'm studying philtering to better my knowledge of medicine so I may incorporate it with my gadgeteering. He didn't want to admit the fact that it was also because some of his gadgets back fired and forced him to learn medicine as well. "I'm not a doctor, but by looking at your wrist, it is badly bruised and swollen, and you may have bruised ribs. Nothing that cleaning, bandages, and rest can't take care of. If you allow me to, I can assist you with that, and in return I ask that we share knowledge gained from our studies." That was the best he had. If that wouldn't work then it was a lost cause.
Casanova DeGhetto
Player

Postby Orin Fenix on July 16th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Orin leveled a glare at Casanova. His already strained nerves were not reacting well to the other man’s manner. “I was attempting to let you save face, dude.” Orin hit the last word especially hard. “You know, make up something plausible so we could both pretend we’re enjoying each other’s company?” If ice could've dripped off of words, frost would've been forming on the windows given the chill in Orin’s voice. Something about Casanova rubbed the chef the wrong way. The other man had an arrogance about him, an attitude of superiority, and a chip on his shoulder for no reason that Orin could see. “Clearly I should've realized I was dealing with someone who feels no shame.” Orin meant for it to be an insult but given Casanova’s reactions so far the doctor probably would take it as a compliment. Orin snorted. “Forgive me for expecting at least a modicum of courtesy from you.”

Orin very carefully kept his temper in check. He wanted to reply by saying that he wished that he could say the same about Casanova. But Orin bit his tongue. This was one of the least antagonistic interactions they'd had so far and Orin wanted to see where this went. Orin was always willing to forgive and forget if he felt that the other person was properly forgetful.

On top of that, this discussion about the nature of Akalaks was fascinating, although Orin wasn't sure that he bought it. It seemed too fantastical and though Orin knew that there was a whole unknown world out there just waiting to be explored, he couldn't believe that he had missed such a fundamental detail about the lives of the dark-skinned giants. Since Orin didn't know whether Casanova was trustworthy, and the chef didn't like the other man at all, Orin was going to take everything that Nov said with a grain of salt. Still, Orin was willing to entertain the possibility, at least, that Nov was right. “Dark and light still seem like they're saying that one is good and one is bad, although I'll admit the Akalaks might have a different relationship to darkness than I do.” Seeing as Orin’s goddess, Priskil, was the lady of radiance, he might have a skewed perspective here.

Thinking hard about what questions he wanted to ask, Orin listened to the rest of Casanova’s explanation. “Is it a fight for control all the time, or does the submissive personality simply let himself be pushed into the subconscious parts of the mind? Can Akalaks willing give up control to their second soul, and why don't they do that all the time, if the alternative is a constant battle?” Unless the soul was diametrically opposed to everything Orin stood for, he couldn't see willingly keeping another person locked inside him without permission. It wasn't a question of willpower; Orin had plenty of willpower. It was a question of right and wrong. But still, Orin had learned not to cast judgements until he had heard the whole story. When Casanova got to the part about some Akalaks only having single souls, Orin frowned. “How do you kill a soul?” the chef asked, his voice troubled. It seemed that it should be an impossible task and the fact that it could happen to anyone, anyone at all, should be a cause for concern.

As Casanova spoke about the two souls feeling pain differently, Orin felt confused. He didn't think that Casanova’s theory held water. “I think, unless it's a purely mental pain, they're going to feel the same pain.” They shared a body, so it stood to reason that they would share everything that happened to that body. “I think where your confusion comes from is that perhaps the two souls have differing pain tolerances. After all the longer you try to ignore pain the harder it gets. So fresh souls would also have a fresh level of endurance to draw from.” That made sense to Orin although it still felt like an unfair and unadvertised advantage. “But, as I said earlier, if I cut an Akalak, both souls are going to be bleeding. It's not like switching souls magically cures their wounds.” Otherwise, Orin imagined, they'd be switching souls all the time.

Casanova had called the Akalak over, and Zandar tried to make a friendly inquiry, which Casanova rudely cut off. Orin shot Nov a look, but managed to refrain from making a comment. The chef didn't know the relationship between Nov and the librarian --librarians? Orin wondered -- so Orin would stay out of it for now. Indeed, it appeared that Zandar was more than capable and willing to put Casanova in his place. The librarian seemed uncomfortable with the request and was seemingly ignoring Casanova’s further pleas. Well, if Nov wasn't going to play nice, than Orin was more than willing to. “Our studies have been going well. Although I do admit that we have gotten a bit sidetracked from our original topic of philtering.” Orin leaned forward and whispered to Zandar, hopefully quiet enough that Casanova couldn't hear, “We seem to be having a bit of a personality clash.

Rolling his eyes at Casanova’s impatience, Orin began to answer the series of questions that Zandar directed their way. “Well of course! It seems rather silly to live somewhere and not yet and immerse yourself in the culture.” Orin did, fundamentally believe that although there was a deeper reason behind it. Most people tended to see it as frivolous but it was at the center of who Orin was. “I'm a chef. And I've found that found is often integral to the understanding of culture and culture is integral to the understanding of food. So I try and learn local cuisines and customs simultaneously.” Orin was rather proud of the way he'd phrased that, and it had the added benefit of being true. Glancing at his wrist, still new to the concept of people being able to ascertain his status simply because of a mark, Orin took a moment before responding to Zandar. “Oh, thank you. I'm still getting used to it, to be honest.”

Casanova, at this point, had apparently already grown bored of the conversation he'd started and had started browsing through the book on philtering, talking quietly about his findings. Orin listened with half an ear. He didn't think that this chromatography technique, used for identifying substances by dissolving them in water had passing them through paper, had much practical use for the chef, but he supposed that the more he knew, the more he'd be able to do with philtering. Perhaps he could use it to recognize sauces or spice mixes he was unfamiliar with.

Orin didn't have much time to ponder philtering, as Zandar suddenly decided to put Casanova out of his misery and demonstrate whatever it was the librarian had been called over for. The Akalak closed his eyes and a few moments passed before the Akalak twitched, and finally opened his eyes. Orin blinked, suddenly more willing to believe Casanova. Orin couldn't put his finger on it, but some instinct was telling him that though the Akalak had the same body, it was being controlled differently than before. Maybe it was something about the posture, the focus in the eyes, or the way the same features had been arranged completely differently. Whatever it was, it was uncanny. When the Akalak, Kvanth now, Orin supposed, spoke, it was the same voice but with a completely different inflection and pattern. “Hello Kvanth, it's nice to meet you.” Thinking for a tick, Orin added, “Although I suppose you've already had the benefit of meeting me.” At least that was how Orin thought the mental sharing worked between the two souls.

The librarian had to leave, which was fine with Orin. Shockingly, Casanova thanked Kvanth. Orin hadn't thought the other human had it in him. “Yes, thank you. Sorry to take you away from your work!” Casanova, at that point, turned to Orin. Apparently something must've finally penetrated Nov’s thick skull, and the other man was being surprisingly social. Orin quicker an eyebrow at this development. You definitely have the larger ego, the chef thought but wisely didn't say. “I'm always willing to let bygones be bygones,” Orin replied easily. It was true, although the chef would still be on guard for Casanova to revert to old behaviors. “That's very interesting,” Orin responded honestly, “I didn't even know that philtering could be used in conjunction with gadgeteering.” If Casanova was a gadgeteer that might explain a few of Nov’s habits. Gadgeteers had reputations for being weird. “I would appreciate your assistance, although, truly my injuries are not that bad. They haven't kept me from getting through a day.” That wasn't strictly true, but Orin didn't want to admit that to Casanova. “I'm always happy to share knowledge with a fellow seeker.” That much, at least was the complete and total truth. Orin thought that keeping secrets was probably the worst action a scholar could take. Orin was hopeful that the relationship between him and Casanova could be salvaged. All the chef had needed to know was that Nov was willing to at least meet Orin part of the way.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes