Closed A Splatter of Emotion

A depressed Valour encounters a fellow artist; Martini Elwood

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

A Splatter of Emotion

Postby Valour Skyglow on July 2nd, 2017, 11:18 pm

Valour Skyglow
Summer 66, 517 AV

Valour was angry. It was not an emotion she tended to portray, it was almost one that she had never experienced. However, after finding out about the Vanthas having a bounty on their head, and heard the talk of the possible attacks on Avanthal, she had gone from nearly sane, to nearly insane. It wasn’t in the sense that she would go on a verbal rampage, or scream and cause a scene; it was all mental. She had become infuriated with the fact that Vanthas would be killed due to Morwens decision, a decision that should not have caused an unfair domino effect.

She was walking through the Kniran Gardens, her hoodie pulled over her head, ebony material flowering behind her, and a canvas tucked under her arm. She held paintbrushes and paint in the other hand, and her walk was one of uncertainty, one that wobbled and appeared to be on the verge of collapse. She felt weak, both of crying due to the reoccurring thought that her family was probably dead, and the idea that her life was on the line; she didn’t know what to do. She considered going back, though knew that unless she knew how to fight, she would be a burden to her family. Staying in Riverfall meant she would have to remain concealed from most, appearing like an average human rather than Vantha. It made her sick to her stomach- that children – including herself – would be killed for mizas.

Her eyes were a light red- both due to crying and natural shift in color; it appeared normal, so she was not concerned with it. She settled on a bench under one of the towering trees, placing the canvas on the wooden surface. Over time her anger had turned into sadness, resulting in her depressing aura. She was not concerned with what others thought of her, but rather felt that being alone would be best, thus being negative would drive people away.

Pulling out her paints, she placed them on the side before taking out a large brush. Valour nearly forgot her palette, though brought it up beside the paints. She placed a bit of each one in their designated locations, nodding in meager triumph. She then dipped the waiting brush into the red paint, and began painting intense flame-like lines, starting from the bottom of the page to the middle, lower half. She pressed down at the base and lightened her grip towards the top. She did this with the yellow, before combining it with the red. She made sure to pick out which colors were where- the red being the most intense. The yellow was painted out with a small brush, swift strokes used to efficiently fit it with the crimson. The orange was added to the top, the brush caressing the canvas softly though making noticeable marks.

The fire represented her bubbling anger, from the blood-red streaks to the painfully light yellows. The canvas was slowly getting fuller and fuller as she added to the intensity, drawing out the streaks with an increasing anger. She abruptly slammed the brush down onto the surface, pulling her knees to her chest and yanking the hoodie down farther. The paint had managed to remain unscathed, though her brush had splattered a bit of the liquid onto the bench. The brush itself had rolled from the small table and onto the ground. Despite this, Valour did not care- she was too focused on the water that began to well up in her eyes. She wasn’t sure whether to feel hopeless, furious or depressed.
Valour Skyglow
Player

Words: 53050
Joined roleplay: June 22nd, 2017, 11:50 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

A Splatter of Emotion

Postby Martini Elwood on July 4th, 2017, 10:35 pm

Martini didn't often leave her home. In fact, she preferred the nice space and cosy atmosphere of her apartment. Every once and a while though, she was told to go out or left because she had nothing important to work on. It was in these instances that the brunette found herself wandering Riverfall, taking in whatever sights her feet lead her too.

Today was no different.

She had walked quite a ways, making several twists and turns before she ended up in the Knirin Gardens. The second time I've been here, she mused. It was a very beautiful place. The lush evergreens and even some season specific plants littered the place in a beautiful arrangement of colors, shapes, and sizes. The air was thick with moisture and the smell of vegetation greeted her every time she inhaled.

She had yet to draw the scenery here, perhaps she could try it. It was most certainly inspiring, so she didn't have a reason not to. She needed somewhere were she could see most of the area so she made her way deeper in to the garden.

She heard something slam on her way through the garden, and found a hooded figure next to a canvas. This person had been painting a beautiful flame, and had meshed the colors with enough skill to look decent. She was furious so she walked closer to inspect the drawing, assuming the person was resting until she heard a sniffle. Wait, were they crying?

"Hey now, no need for tears," Martini stumbled on her words, trying her best to reassure the person that whatever they were crying about would be fine. She had yet to see their face, but she was hoping to maybe calm them down a bit. "You made this, right?"

OOCI think you forgot to pm me, because I just saw this thread. xD
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Words: 133955
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2017, 2:19 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

A Splatter of Emotion

Postby Valour Skyglow on July 8th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Valour Skyglow

Valour’s head rested against her knees, her hot, tear streaked face concealed from any onlookers. She hadn’t been wary of her surroundings, and so the sudden voice caused her to stir visibly with discomfort. She wasn’t sure who she could possibly trust, after all, greed was a common feeling that most could not suppress. Plus, the prize for a dead Vantha was something most would certainly not want to pass up, especially if the subject was a stranger.

Her fingers trembled as each set grasped a single knee and pulled them closer, rocking herself back and forth as she attempted to calm the toppling emotions. Valour knew that she would have to maintain purple as the main eye-color, considering it was what they reverted to when she was neutral. Her excuse for their coloration would be a genetic malfunction resulting from her parent’s heritage. The blue streaks in her hair - upon first glance - could appear to be simple highlights done manually. She would need to control the pigmentation in her eyes, and make sure that no one ever witnessed a change in them. Considering she was rather tall for a Vantha, her height and physical stature was not too much of a concern to her. The sole problem was in the expressive eyes that always so willingly, and unintentionally switched color.

All these thoughts had welled up upon the stranger’s gentle confrontation, and as much as she wanted to trust at least one person, she could not. There was so much hidden beneath a person’s exterior, no matter how sweet and sympathetic they may appear. With these thoughts kept locked up in the deep and dark crevices of her mind, she removed the mask of her knees from her face. However, she did not make eye contact nor reveal her face to the acquaintance, but rather stared at the complimented painting. Seeing as she had finished the flame with a gaze adorned with a blinding blur, she hadn’t been able to see the completed piece.

Keeping her head low and her hoodie safely pulled over her forehead, she wiped away the salty tears from her face. She then began to trace the painted, emotional lines with her vulnerable gaze, remembering how they had been done with such a feeling, one she had never experienced before. “Thank you. . .” She bobbed her head slightly, adding to the gratitude. “I’m sorry if I disrupted your walk, honest mistake.” She responded, her tone brisk and cold.

She inhaled and exhaled slowly, attempting to clear away the thoughts of the man-slaughter that would be ongoing back in her homeland. In order to keep from being one of the victims, she would have to keep her eye color from changing, thus attempted to revert them back to violet.
Valour Skyglow
Player

Character sheet

A Splatter of Emotion

Postby Martini Elwood on July 10th, 2017, 2:46 am

The - what she assumed to be - female looked at the painting before turning her gaze away from Martini. She swiped at her eyes as she spoke to Martini, her voice laced with what Martini could only assume to be chilled sadness. While she was curious about why the young woman had been crying, she didn't want to further upset the other so she let it drop.

"No, not at all. I go wherever I end up while wandering, so this is a nice stop for me. It's beautiful here. Do you come here often?" She was attempting to calm the woman, maybe make her comfortable. That would be important. Maybe she was having some difficulties with living in Riverfall? It was pretty far out there to assume, but she couldn't tell if the girl was human, so she didn't put anything off.

Whether or not the girl answered, Martini turned back to the painting the other had done. It was done with minimal skill, but it was better than things she had seen done before. Of course she had no room to criticize since she didn't know very much about painting. She knew it involved colors and canvas, but that was the extent of her knowledge on the subject.

She was probably worse than a newborn baby at it. She could always try to mix the styles she had she supposed. Draw the outline, paint in the color... however she would need basic paint color information for that. She sighed and looked around before taking a seat opposite of the woman as not to invade her space.

"I can't paint as well as I'd like, but I can draw pretty good. Do you usually use canvas? Or is that the best surface for painting?" Martini jerked her thumb at the painting as she spoke easing to the ground. She didn't want to upset or frighten the other woman, but something was bothering her so she wanted to keep her company for a bit.
3/3 Threads
If you are grading a thread I participated in I'd love feedback or improvement notes on the writing itself <3
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

A Splatter of Emotion

Postby Valour Skyglow on July 15th, 2017, 10:18 am

Valour Skyglow

Valour released a lengthy sigh, her quivering hands releasing her knees. They seemed limp as they flopped beside the base of the bench, their life revealed by an occasional shift in position. Despite her mood, her appearance was very well kempt; her hoodie covered her forehead, though her hair lay in a neat braid at the side of her head. The peak of her crying had been subdued to an empty sadness, the sadness of a child with lost hope. In her mind, she had no family anymore- they were all probably dead.

The stranger spoke again, confirming that she had not been bothered. Valour responded with a slow nod of her head, followed by the placement of both her arms on the table. She pushed the canvas to the side, wishing to clear its image from her mind. All she could think about right now, besides the nagging worry, was the fact that she would need to train and train hard. She wished to become a strong fighter, one that people would prefer to stay away from. It was rather peculiar, how all of these thoughts had been a direct result of a few overheard voices and posters. Valour had never dreamed of becoming a violent person unless in a situation of life or death, though it was mainly exclusive to hunting. Nevertheless, she had come to terms with her situation and decided that she would need to step up her game.

She could feel the red fading slowly, though replaced with blue; she still could not reveal her face to the stranger. They were speaking now, referring to her expertise before asking her two questions. ”Yes, I use canvas or I paint on walls. I mean- If I’m given permission to.” She added quickly, not wishing to give the woman the wrong idea. ”I don’t think painting should be exclusive to a single surface, it can be done anywhere, really.” she added, with a shrug of her shoulders.

Valour had grown up with a mother who painted and a father who carved; both her parents worked together. When she was young, Valour had watched her mother paint; paint on her father’s carvings, the walls of her room, average canvases and more. Her mother had admired the art of painting, and expressed herself using it. The idea of painting was – to Valour – able to be done virtually anywhere and could not be restricted. When she grew older, she had been allowed to paint the inside of their small house, as well as help her dad out with coloring some of his carvings. She had left her home because she sought to find her own passions, wants; overall, her own adventure. Her mother had given her a painting kit that consisted of just three primary colors, while her dad simply hugged her goodbye. She had loved them both so dearly and learned a lot from them.

”You should sit.” She stated politely while regaining her overall composure. She felt herself calm and her eyes revert back to their purple pigment. Feeling it to be the right moment, she looked up carefully. Her eyes were trained on a woman who did not appear too old, but rather in her late teens. Her eyes were a hazelnut and her hair a honey brown, both complemented her light skin very well. She was obviously human, and would probably find Valour’s eye color strange. Nevertheless, if she questioned, Valour had an appropriate explanation which would not give away her race.
Valour Skyglow
Player

Character sheet

A Splatter of Emotion

Postby Martini Elwood on August 3rd, 2017, 2:12 am

Martini hummed her acknowledgement. She had painted before, but hadn't had the right mindset to fully appreciate it. It was interesting to hear the woman had painted on walls before. Much like she thought, painting - like drawing - could be done on almost any surface. It was a matter of preference. She had always met people who exclusively used canvas.

When the young woman looked up, Martini found her eyes a faded purple? Was that natural? Her eye were a purple hue, perhaps it was just the lighting? Martini took a glance at the woman's face as she nodded and sat next to her. Even in the shade they seemed to be purple. Martini turned away with an apology. "Excuse my staring, it's just I've never met anyone with such eyes before. That is to say they're very pretty! I was just wondering... Ah, but that can wait. I'm Martini, may I know your name, miss?"

Martini extended her hand for a shake with a sheepish smile. Now that she could see the young woman's face, it appeared her skin was somewhat fair and her hair, as seen earlier was a dark brown that was close to her own.

OOCSorry this is so late and so small. I'll be trying to get in quicker responses.
3/3 Threads
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

A Splatter of Emotion

Postby Valour Skyglow on August 7th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Valour Skyglow

Upon waiting for the newcomer to reply, she took a glance at her painting. Inhaling a shaky breath, she rested her arms onto the wood, intertwining her fingers between each other. She wasn’t sure if she would be able to keep her eyes this purple pigment, though she knew that it was mandatory. No one was allowed to know about her race, it was simply unsafe, and a risk she was not willing to take. She mentally shrugged off the thought, attempting to remember things that made her feel happy and warm inside; lying to herself was the only way to assure herself of her eye color.

The voice snapped her out of her thoughts, and she looked carefully upwards. It was inevitable that her eyes would be brought up, and they were. However, the girl seemed to brush it over, and introduce herself. She seemed to want to inquire something, though Valour did not ponder much on it. She knew she would have to act like her eyes were completely normal, and speak of them as if they did not matter. Acting would be key in this scenario, and her years of hearing stories and watching people act definitely helped.
”Ah my eyes?” She chuckled lightly, hating that it was forced. ”They’re always brought up, so I get where you’re coming from!” She smiled, raising a hand to wipe away her stained cheeks. ”It was an odd genetic mutation between my parents, not sure exactly how, but I know that it doesn’t run in our family, I was the weird one.” She grinned; it was all fake. She was acting happy, and believing she was happy, though at heart she was devastated. The way she acted was lying to herself in the moment, and making herself believe that everything was dandy and perfect.

Reaching her hand forwards, she daintily shook Martini’s.
”It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Valour, but you can call me Val.” She offered, raising a hand to pull down her hoodie. ”I’m sorry you had to see that, just a few family problems, nothing to worry about.” She hoped that the answer would satisfy the others curiosity, she couldn’t possibly utter the word ‘family’ any longer without her heart wrenching.

Clearing her throat, Valour motioned towards her painting, picking it up and flipping it over so that Martini could properly see it.
"Not too bad...? I'm still trying to uh... improve." Valour admitted, gnawing on her lower lip in embarrassment. She wasn't too good with new people, she was normally cold and shy. It was often mistaken for a rude attitude, though it was all just worry.
"I learned to paint through my mom... what about you? You seem to know how to criticise this, or showed signs of it, at least." She inquired, though her eyes were a void of no emotion, same as her voice. It wasn't laced with interest or boredom; it was blank. She had calmed down, though was in a grey area between acting as happy as she possibly could, and being depressed.
Valour Skyglow
Player

Character sheet

A Splatter of Emotion

Postby Martini Elwood on April 6th, 2018, 1:55 am

Martini wasn't sure if the smile the woman - Valour as she introduced herself - was genuine. She assumed it had something to do with her trying to put on a brave front in order to avoid the reason for her tears. Martini knew the feeling so she let it drop.

The brunette would try to take Valour's mind off it if it would help, and her opportunity came soon enough. It wasn't often she had a chance to gush about her teachings and such so the answer took her a few ticks to formulate.

"Well, my parents tried their best to help me gain my special talent. So whatever ever I wanted to learn they would have me taught if the coin allowed," Martini huffed a sad laugh before she realized she was frowning. Her parents... no, now wasn't the time. "I was born to a family of artists. I actually picked up drawing when I was young and have used it to express myself ever since, even going as far as to make it my career."

Martini puffed her chest out, a playful smile on her lips as she looked at Valour. It was easier to forget the past than it was to confront it, and with her non existent acting skills it was impossible hide the crack in her 'happy' smile. It was.. difficult to process so Martini never had dealt emotionally and mentally with the death of her parents. Some times she awoke and thought she was home in Syliras, but it disappeared when she blinked.

"It's hard not having them here but the best thing I can do for them now is live... Oh! You probably don't want to hear that, especially since your dealing with stuff of your own." Martini apologized shortly after. Maybe she should find someone to speak to about it. Either way she lightly slapped her face with both hands and turned back to Valour.

"It's always nice to see someone in a similar profession. I like to see what others can do and teach."

OOCI've returned! Sorry about the hiatus. Let me know if you don't wish to continue this. c:
3/3 Threads
Martini Elwood
Painting away Anguish

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

A Splatter of Emotion

Postby Paaie on June 18th, 2018, 8:29 am

G R A D E
VALOUR

If you return to Miz, don't forget to deduct living expenses for Summer 517AV from your ledger, then PM me or resubmit this thread to the queue for your grade!

MARTINI

Observation +2
Socialization +2
Rhetoric +1
Philosophy +1

Martini: Prefers the comfort of her apartment
Riverfall location: Knirin Gardens
Socialization: Comforting someone who is upset
Painting: Any surface may be painted
Martinit: Still grieves for her parents
Martini: Not a good actress
It is easier to forget the past than to confront it

NOTES

This was a lovely interaction with very natural dialogue.
If you feel I missed anything don't hesitate to PM me. Don't forget to edit your grade request here.
Paaie
Player

Words: 63032
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)