Closed Out of the Cage, into the Fire (Shainn)

Shainn is tasked with a personal mission

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Out of the Cage, into the Fire (Shainn)

Postby Kayak on July 26th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Summer 12, 517 AV

Researcher Corbin Notalm sat in his office, hung over and terribly agitated. The man was normally one of the more kind researchers, having worked quite close and personally with many of the Kelvics in this facility. There hadn't been many promising candidates during this rotation of his, just the one really.

An assistant researcher popped her head into his office with a curt knock first, "Mister Notalm, are you ready to do rounds?" Sighing a bit, he waved her out of the office, but she knew that meant he would start in just a couple of chimes. The gentle man's head hung loosely from his shoulders, cradled in his palms. Sighing, he slapped a palm down upon his desk in frustration, chair squeaking against the wood floor as he finally stood up. Certain that he may not only lose this job soon, but probably much more, he decided to let today just slide by.

Grabbing his notebook, Corbin paused for a moment. Opening a drawer from his desk, he pulled out the two objects within. The first he uncorked and took a long swig, wincing at the bitterness of the spirit. The second was a vial, liquid clear and without scent. He knew just a few drops in each of the food dishes would kill every Kelvic here. It wouldn't stop the research, but it would be a nice 'Petch you' should his head roll here soon. Slipping the vial into his pocket, he left his office, his assistant waiting and smiling. He handed her the notebook, and they made their way to the kennels.

After a longer set of rounds, Corbin and his assistant finally reached the birds section. There weren't many this season, a couple of crows, a particularly aggressive rooster, and one owl, the single standout of all the kelvics currently. This one, Shainn, was especially responsive to the tests. Owls always fascinated the researcher, with how stealthy and observant they could be, and usually a higher intelligence than many birds.

Not yet looking in the cage, Corbin spoke to the assistant, "Increase the dosage, an extra quarter vial daily. And schedule a full medical work up, I want to make sure our star pupil is in good health, so that he can keep making me proud."

Corbin said this in such a way as to ensure that Shainn would hear him, but without it being obvious that he was meant to. Kelvics almost always responded well to praise from authoritative figures, especially when presented in an inauspicious manner.

"And increase his meals, add something special, something... alive, daily. He deserves it. And do it in the large enclosure. A marvel like Shainn must be allowed to spread his wings, and be the hunter he was always meant to be..."

With that, Corbin trailed off slightly. An idea was forming in his mind. Perhaps Shainn could help him with his problem, under the guise of a reward. If he was successful, not only would Corbin save his job, but would get valuable research as well.

"You may go."

The assistant nodded, handing Corbin his notes, and left. Corbin now looked into Shainn's enclosure, "Hello Shainn, how are you feeling today? Are the assistants treating you well? They aren't hurting you, right? They know how special you are."

He gave Shainn a moment to respond, "I think it might be time to reward how well you've done here. Would you like to help me with a special project Shainn? You'll get to fly, outside of this place. Show me just what you can do?" Corbin's face wore the stress he genuinely felt, along with what appeared to be a comforted smile, as if to say, only Shainn could make him feel better, as if only the Kelvic could help him, of all people in the world. The man rubbed at his temples, "Would you like that?"

Signature courtesy of the great and wise Prophet
Kayak
Retired Staff

Words: 83721
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2017, 11:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Shainn on July 30th, 2017, 1:49 am

hello, how are you today?

OUT OF THE CAGE, INTO THE FIRE
Subheading: Summer, 12th, 517av

The rooster Kelvic in his cage across from Shainn glared over at him. Shainn couldn't really read another bird's expression when the Kelvic was in animal form. Though, they could possibly speak to each other, alas the rooster has been aggressive lately. Shainn wondered if it was mostly because of jealousy of how well he was doing on these tests. He pecked at his wings with his beak to clean out the matted fur he has balled up under his wings. He was perched on a makeshift ledge that seemed suitable enough for birds. Shainn didn't really like to socialize much, unless he needed to. The other scientists cordially explained to him how well he has been doing with all of these tests they've been giving him. Corbin seemed to be enjoying the fact that Shainn was doing really well. It even pleased Shainn that Corbin was pleased, and mostly just because Shainn was being successful with the tests. Shainn didn't like failing his masters, and he would do whatever he needed to.

Though, as Masters Corbin and his assistant came ambling through to the bird section of the KRI, Shainn transformed into his nude human form and he was ready for his daily routines of medicine and intimacy. Shainn definitely heard what Corbin said about rewarding Shainn. Corbin ordered his assistant to fill in Doctor Corbin's new requests for Shainn. The Great Grey Owl, felt proud of how prideful Doctor Corbin sounded when he mentioned how well Shainn was doing. The Kelvic praised that he was doing just fine with the experiments and was glad that Doctor Corbin was rewarding his progress.

"Hello Shainn, how are you feeling today? Are the assistants treating you well? They aren't hurting you, right? They know how special you are."

"Oh yes, they are just treating me fine," Shainn said neutrally and waved his hand. "They are not hurting me sir." He added cordially with respect.

"I think it might be time to reward how well you've done here. Would you like to help me with a special project Shainn? You'll get to fly, outside of this place. Show me just what you can do?" "Would you like that?"

Shainn smiled rather gleefully and nodded.

" I like it very much sir. I'll do whatever you ask of me sir. I promise I'll do my best!" Shainn replied exuberantly, though he was quite confused about the project. Though, he didn't ask of it as it wasn't any of his business to impede on Doctor Corbin's work.
Shainn
Player

Words: 30907
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2017, 2:30 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayak on August 8th, 2017, 12:05 am

Corbin's smile stretched just a stitch more. He had no doubts that Shainn was going to accept. After all, the boy lived off his every word. Corbin reached down to his belt, and unsnapped a ring of keys. He flipped through them, pausing for a moment at a normal iron key. Then he moved onto a shiny brass key. It was the master key. But Corbin wanted to further reinforce Shainn's thoughts of him being extra special in the man's eyes. So instead of using the normal iron key assigned to Shainn's cage, he used the brass master key, to give the illusion that this was in fact, Shainn's key.

The key slipped into the lock with a light rattle, and with a metallic kerthunk, the lock to Shainn's cage unlocked, and with a slight squeal, Corbin swung the door outward. "Come with me Shainn." And with that, Corbin turned on a heel, and started toward the man door to the staff area, leaving Shainn to close his cage door and follow him.

Right by the door were the newest arrivals' cages. On the left was a large spotted cat that had been there for a few days. It had been staring at Shainn ever since its arrival, hungrily, and as Shainn walked by, it crashed into the cage, attempting to reach out with a clawed paw. Other handlers in the area immediately swarmed on the jaguar, and subdued it, injecting it with the drug, and it forced a shift into human form. There on the floor was a beautiful, young woman, blonde hair, tanned skin, unconscious from the subduing.

Corbin paid her no attention, unlocked the door into the offices, and passed on through. He led Shainn through the hallway, past several doors of offices and laboratories. The wood that made the walls was dark, well smoothed, lit by overhead windows to bring in natural light. Corbin stopped at a door, pulling a key from a leather cord around his neck, and slipping it into the lock.

Corbin stepped into his office, and slumped down into the lumpy arm chair behind his desk. He gestured to a similar chair for Shainn. The man looked tired, stressed. "Shainn, the world outside these walls is quite cruel. I've been vexed by a temptress that wants to destroy this home. She wants to hurt you, hurt the others here, and especially wants to hurt me. She lured me through the use of alcohol, knowing that I am stoic and resilient otherwise. This woman seduced me, and in my stupor stole from me, in my own home. She stole important research, research from you and the others, research that could help all kelvics everywhere. But with this research lost, I'll be removed from my position here. I'll be killed."

Surprisingly, all of this was told with a voice of genuineness, "Which is why I need your help Shainn. I think you're smart enough and talented enough to help find this woman. I don't know where you'll find her, but she was at The Spot, where I was drinking. She called herself Nayasa. She has very dark skin, with these tight bunches of black curls in her hair. I think she's from the deep south. She wore these big hoop earrings, gold too. Very pretty. She got me drunk there, and took me back to my house. I live right by the Bell Tower, can't miss it, I have a bear knocker on my door."

Corbin stood up, got into a cabinet, and pulled out a backpack, a pile of folded clothes and shoes, and a small bag of coins. He set all of these on the desk in front of Shainn. "Think you can find this woman, and get my research back? I don't know how you'd do it, but if you don't, I'm finished. This place is finished. I really need you for this Shainn."

He sat back down, his face in his hands for a few long moments. "You can probably fly over the lake, if you can carry the backpack. Or take a boat. I know its a lot to take in at once, but if you can do this, I know you're more than ready for more freedom. If you get lost, the city guards are incredibly helpful. But nudity isn't tolerated in public Shainn, so be discrete."

And with that he slumped against the back of the chair, nursing his hangover some more. A broken, defeated shadow of a man. Then as if he'd forgotten something, he moved over to the window and unlatched it, opening it. "No other windows in the entire facility open. Just mine. Make haste Shainn, they could be coming for me already."

Kayak
Retired Staff

Office
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Shainn on August 8th, 2017, 2:11 am

All of it was almost overwhelming, though Shainn listened and he listened carefully. With every breath that the man had breathed it had began to make sense why he sort of smelled like a bad tasting drink. Which he called Alcohol; it did things like subdue you. Shainn would probably have to make note of that. Professor Corbin said that this woman, Nayasa; and she could hurt them all. Them as in Kelvic, and that could mean to hurt Shainn. But, Shainn was doing so well with the experiments, he needed to help Professor Corbin, or else it could ruin everything. Professor Corbin explained how the outside world could be cruel. From his description, just a pretty lady could be quite cruel and deceiving. How could Shainn trust anyone other than Professor Corbin? Where could he go, and who could he trust?

Professor Corbin went on about describing this Nayasa; and what she looked like. Dark skin, big golden looped earrings, tight curls. Last place Professor Corbin had seen her was the Bell Tower. Whatever that was- though it did make sense to Shainn. If it was a tower, it must be quite tall. Shainn observed the older man before him, and watched as he looked very tensed. Shainn could sense the fear, just ever so slightly that was slowly rising from the man. Aside from the Bell Tower, he also said something about The Spot. Wherever that was; perhaps that that was the place where the Professor went to drink, and meet the lady Nayasa. Though, descriptions of a lady doesn't really help him much. Shainn couldn't sniff out a woman just by details. He waited until Professor Corbin was finished with whatever he was saying; as he was talking Shainn was stuffing his newly given belongings in his new backpack.Including the coins that the old man had stuffed in their for him.

"I-er, have something from her? Anything you took, that I can catch a scent of? Your clothes-" Shainn stuttered,"You have some of her scent- I- I can smell it." Shainn was really nervous himself, but the woman's scent seemed to be small. "I'll find her, I'll bring the research back. I promise." Shainn assured him. The Kelvic was getting goosebumps all over his skin, he felt wary, scared, and nervous; but above all he felt determined. He won't lose the lives of every Kelvic in this institute; and especially he won't lose Professor Corbin. He lowered the backpack down that had his stuff in it, and shifted into his Grey Owl form. A flash of pure divine light briefly flashed in front of Professor Corbin and what stood a human was now a flying Owl. Shainn tredded the air with his wings, and rubbed his head against Professor Corbin's own head for affection and assurance. He picked up the bag with his talons and took one last look at Corbin before he left out of the window. With one thing on his mind, to find Nayasa.
Shainn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayak on August 21st, 2017, 6:29 pm

Corbin heard Shainn's request and turned a furious shade of blushing red. He pat the naked boy upon the head, and reached down, pulling open the bottom drawer of his desk. There inside was a pair of women's undergarments, just out of view of Shainn. If the boy paid attention, there'd be the musky feminine scent that accompanied such an article of clothing. Corbin's fingers toyed at the thin fabric, ashamed to have to pull it out. As he was fumbling with it, he sighed in relief. There beneath the undergarments was a ribbon, one she'd worn and he'd found in his bed. He grabbed the ribbon and pulled it out, handing it to the boy. "This is hers."

There wasn't much scent on the red ribbon, certainly not enough for an owl to follow for any distance. But perhaps it was enough that if he were in her immediate presence, he'd be able to recognize her. Corbin watched the boy shift, and he nuzzled the bird in return. It was good to show Kelvics physical displays of affection, they responded a lot stronger to physical touch and body language. Corbin relaxed greatly as he did so, to give off the vibe that what Shainn did was helping the man.

Watching Shainn fly out the window, the man reached down, grabbed the undergarments, brought them to his nose, inhaling deeply. The man sighed, falling back into his chair. Despite the fact this woman had robbed him, he couldn't help but still be terribly attracted to her. He walked over and locked his office door, closed the window, and got comfortable in his chair, a satisfied grin upon his face as he started to unlace his trousers.

Meanwhile, Shainn's departure didn't go unnoticed. His whole flight, to whichever destination he chose, he felt eyes upon him. These eyes would feel as if coming from every direction, above, below, all around. In the flight over Lakeshore, a large number of ravens and crows could be seen, cawwing in annoyance at an owl threatening their air space. Over the water, many geese and ducks honked and quacked oblivious to the predator bird. Within the city proper, every roof held more crows and pigeons and morning doves.

The Bell Tower stood proudly right near the center of the city, far from The Spot on the west side. It was a normal day within the city, many people out shopping, spending time with their kids and family, just enjoying the safety and security that Rhysol provided. The ravosalamen were busy ferrying their fares, keeping ears open for potential news, eyes open for anything unusual. Guards walked about, their weapons not peace tied, looking around, to keep everyone safe. All in all, it was a pleasant day in Ravok.

Kayak
Retired Staff

Office
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Shainn on August 22nd, 2017, 6:07 pm

HEADING 1
Subheading: Date

Shainn was more than happy to help Professor Corbin out with his job. For a Kelvin c being studied on, he was quite generous for a scientist. Plus, he was... nice. Though, it sounded generic to entitle him as nice, but he wasn't technically mean, or cruel when it came down to scientists. Shainn enjoyed Corbin's company, and Corbin seemed to like it when Shainn was doing so well with the experiments. They were definitely improving Shainn. Shainns eyesight was very obstructed due to the sunlight, it was making it hard for him to see. Plus, he couldn't fly around forever, carrying a somewhat heavy bag with his claws. The Bell Tower was close, and Shainn could probably quickly shift into his human form as long as no one was around. It was magnificent, as Shainn looked at The Bell Tower, he wondered about the history behind it all. Shainn had only been around for three years of his life, and he learned that Kelvics lived shorter lives than humans do, because they take on the characteristics of the animal that they have been bred into

Shainn swooped into the top of The Bell Tower and transformed. A flash of bright light flickered for just a few moments, and Shainn was back into his naked human form. The scent of the woman's undergarments was still quite strong, but Shainn noticed that there were a lot of people in the streets of Ravok. Shainn had only been in the city for a number of rare accounts. He was once brought out to be sold as a slave, and just a couple of other times when he was behaving quite good and his experiments have been working. Shainn quickly changed into his new clothes that his professor had given him. He fumbled around a bit, but eventually he managed to get them on. At first he had his shirt on backwards, though he felt the collar was wrong. So he had to change it. Than, his own undergarments he realized were on backwards. So he changed those. Anyways, things were smoother after he got his socks and shoes on.

The Kelvic brushed a hand through his hair and scooped up his bag that contained the coin, and toiletries. He wondered if he could find this Nyssa. She was bound to be here somewhere. Shainn made his way down the tower and nodded to a few of the local citizens as they possibly wondered why someone was upstairs. Shainn hoped that it wasn't much of a bother.

Corbin explained that The Spot was near the Bell Tower, mostly quite close close. Shainn asked someone where he could find The Spot. Shainn thanked the woman who had aided him. As he made his way towards The Spot, he prayed silently to Rhysol that he would find the woman.
Shainn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayak on August 30th, 2017, 8:30 pm

One of the women that Shainn had nodded to in the tower was a close, personal friend of Arnold Iyure, the keeper of the Bell Tower. Her and her gaggle of friends had passed and nodded at Shainn as he descended the tower. The woman eyed Shainn's backside as he made his way out. She had been here a while and there had been no newcomers since Arnold had rung the bell several chimes back. That must mean he saw the lad on his last ringing, and might know more about him.

The young lass, Laisa, in her early twenties now, unwed, came from a family with ties to the Lazarin family. Her father was a non-blooded member of the family, and had been pressing her to marry. Perhaps to one of the blooded members of the family. She was a sweet girl, though had a bad habit of developing crushes on people who didn't even know she existed, only to have her heart broken when they didn't show interest back.

She was an independent seamstress, not having any formal business of her own, working for Lazarins and various local neighbors of hers. Deciding she liked the look of this mysterious friend of Arnold's, she descended the steps as well and knocked upon on Arnold's room. "Arnold, who was that man upstairs earlier? He was cute. You should've seen the scruffy stubble he had."

The older man was busy hunched over another one of his gadgeteering gizmos looked up at the young woman, "Man? What man? I've no idea what you're on about."

The woman looked confused, "But you must've seen him, we've been here since you last rung the bell and no one else has come. He came down from the top."

The man sighed, putting down his tools, turning to face the girl. "Probably another petching climber. Come with me, point him out. I've mopped up enough blood from failed climbers, this man needs an arse chewing."

The girl nodded, a bit too timid to try and stick up for the stranger, "I'll show you, we should be able to catch him."

The pair left the tower, and it wasn't long before they saw a woman talking to the good looking man. She pointed at him, and Arnold stomped his way over, grabbing the man by the shoulder and spinning him around to face him. Arnold's face was red with anger and annoyance, "Who do you petchin' climbers think you are? Climbing my beautiful tower! You tear at the bricks every time you do! And I tire of having to mop up the blood. And every time one of you falls and dies, people stop visiting for a while! Its so annoying! Stop climbing my tower! You and all your other climbing friends. Tell them!"

The man let go of Shainn's shoulder with a bit of a shove. His face was returning to its normal color as his rage subsided. It seemed he just needed to vent more than he actually wanted anything done. A city guard that had been alerted by the angry voices strode over, to break up any confrontation. "Arnold, what's the problem here?"

The bellkeeper looked at the guard, "Nothing to worry about Stephan. Just teaching a kid some manners. Sorry for disturbing the peace."

The guard nodded, looked at the boy, "You best listen to him boy. We don't want any more trouble around here. What's your name, hmm? I've not seen you around, let me see your papers."

Kayak
Retired Staff

Office
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Shainn on September 4th, 2017, 4:02 pm

HEADING 1
Subheading: Date

Shainn was confused when Arnold was telling him off about climbing the Bell Tower. There was a guard coming from the alley. Stephan. Shainn looked at the guard.

"You best listen to him boy. We don't want any more trouble around here. What's your name, hmm? I've not seen you around, let me see your papers." The guard said.

"They... flew out of my pack, sir." Shainn said,he tried to cover up his lie as best he could though,the guards at the KRI were always able to tell when he was lying. "That's why I um, had to climb the tower?" If Shainn mentioned any part about Professor Corbin, he could probably be in even more trouble. "I thought I saw them over by The Spot?"
Shainn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayak on September 13th, 2017, 6:35 am

The guard, Stephan, looked very annoyed at Shainn's response. The boy hadn't answered his question on his name nor did he seem to have his papers. His eyes narrowed shrewdly at the boy and his hand reached back, loosening the leather strap that tied his short sword securely in its sheathe. "You could see papers at The Spot... from the Bell Tower? Who are you trying to fool boy? The Commorancy is a huge building, there's no way you saw papers from that far. Stop lying to me boy." The guard flicked his sword up an inch from its sheathe, just enough to give that warning sound, that metallic shhk, letting the boy see the glint of metal.

Laisa didn't like what she was seeing and hearing. Mainly because she knew of Stephan's reputation. He was a bully. He dated one of her friends last season, and Laisa had heard how rough he was with her. And to the young woman, it seemed that he was just further bullying this boy. Stepping forward, a soft smile upon her face, "Then you've never spent time at the top of the tower. I'm there all the time, you'd be surprised at how far you can see Stephan. At the things you can learn about a person from up there."

She moved in close, putting a hand protectively on his arm, and looking at Stephan. "I'll take him over there and help him find his papers. Sometimes people just need a bit of help is all."

Stephan's eyes flared angrily, and he stepped up to Shainn, nose to nose. "Don't you let me find you without papers again boy." He shoved the boy hard in the chest, letting his sword settle back into its sheathe, and he stormed off fuming. Arnold was staring at Laisa incredulously, not believing she'd be so reckless. She got on her toes and kissed Arnold on the cheek, "Don't you worry, I'll be fine."

Laisa took Shainn by the arm, guiding him over to a canal, and waving down a ravosalaman. A tall, dark haired man guided the craft over, and Laisa handed him a couple of coins. "Take us to The Spot please." Laisa sat down upon the cushioned bench, pulling Shainn down next to her. Once they started the slow journey south to the tavern, "So what is your name? And why were you really climbing the tower? Why do you lie to the guard?"

Code courtesy of Prophet the swagnificent

Kayak
Retired Staff

Office
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Shainn on September 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Title

Day, Season,Year

Shainn was shoved in his chest and threatened by the guard. He scowled at the guard mentally, and watched as the guard, Stephan ambled away. Shainn would kill to not encounter another guard like him.

The Kelvic turned to face Laisa as she asked him questions and did help him out. The least he could do is to be honest.

"It's true, my papers are in The Spot. Everything.
A woman by the name of Nyssa took them."
He spoke as it was a half-lie, but kept his composure together as best he could, he felt his chest and it stung a bit.

Shainn climbed on board of the Ravosoula, and Shainn knew that he was listening, since he was quiet. Shainn glanced at Stephan as he shrunk into the crowd of people that were walking about the streets. Then, he turned to face Laisa.

"Please, don't tell anyone else. Those papers are important... " Shainn's eyes glimmered with wishful hint of hope.

| "My Words." "My Thoughts."
| "Your Words." |

Shainn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next