Open Divined Aspirations

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Divined Aspirations

Postby Konrad Venger on July 27th, 2017, 8:16 pm

45th Day of Summer, 517AV || Pridesun Pavilion

"What in it for me?"

Yacob couldn't believe the balls of the walahk. They were surrounded on all sides by dead grass, bare dust, dried up river beds and animals turns to hollow husks by Syna, and yet th bastard was actually asking for payment.

"You gather water, it is for us all," he said, trying his best not to sound like he was speaking to some horse-kicked idiot. He knew how prickly Hansel could be. "It means you have water, too. For your skin, for your food, for-"

"I get water now," the man said with a shrug, smiling and doing naught but stretching his scars a little. "Can get tomorrow, too. Why can get, is why you come to me."

He considered himself a patient and understanding man, or tried to be. He'd seen what Jonas had turned the pavilion into, even if he didn't see it properly until after he was dead. The way he twisted loyalty and gratitude into shackles, desperation into adoration... Yacob cursed himself for not seeing it sooner, and going to The Seven with what he'd feared.

He did not want to be a leader, but he had to be. That means compromise, negotiation, patience, welding together men and women and children from a half-dozen places scattered across the continent, many of whom barely spoke Pavi. He had done so, because they needed him, and he could not do everything alone.

But now, with Hansel, he felt his hands ball into fists... and the big bastard kept smiling.

Aye, don't feel too good, does it, boy?

Konrad crossed his arms and spat out a hefty gob into a puddle. An actual puddle! Such a thing was rare indeed on the Sea of Grass those days; like rivers and streams and great, storming deluges that washed away tents. Konrad remembered when such storms were feared; now people actually prayed for them. Because within a bell, maybe three or four, Syna would bake the smear of rain off the ground and into nothing. Unless it could, somehow, be scavenged and harvested.

But how? How, indeed? Me. That's how.

"There are others we could ask," Yacob said, and Konrad could hear the iron behind his words. The way he had to stop himself from snarling them. Too good a soul, that one. Thinks everyone is as nice as him. "Other mages that can draw water from the ground."

"Yes, but they make you pay."

"Which is why we are asking you. You are one of us!"

Konrad knew his role, or what Yacob assumed it to be. The outsider-turned-good, happy and content among his new people, willing to take on duties and risks for his adopted... what? Family? Konrad didn't stop smiling. Just injected something hard and bitter into his face that curdled it even more.

"I am not you." He spoke slowly, making sure the words sank in. His Pavi was improving every season, but some of the pronunciations still tripped him up. "I help, I hunt, to help me. This thing?" He gestured to the sodden ground around them. "You want from me? Only I can do. Not need you help. So why I give?"

He didn't wait for an answer. It would only be more useless prattling about honor and gratitude from the stunned young man, and Konrad had no desire to hear it. Besides, Syna was up and burning: they didn't have much time. He held up a hand and tried his best to make his face look... a little more neutral.

"My traps? Now on, I trap, is mine. Not share. You let me do, and when have rain, I get water for all."

"You could be taking food from people who need it, the old, the sick, children-"

"Not me children."
Another shrug. Another flush of color into Yacob's face. "Yes or No? Come. Waste time."

Konrad flexed his fingers, inhaled... and when he breathed out and shook them, he willed a brief stream of djed into them, so they seemed to glow at the tips, gaseous green-black djed dancing around them. He winked, and heard Yacob's teeth grinding.

"I ready. You take deal?"

Sedon had never hated Hansel, but watching his sheer, uncaring battering of Yacob into agreeing brought him pretty damn close. A whole pavilion's worth of people were watching it unfold, and Hansel seemed oblivious to them. Dozens who would remember his indifference, his lack of care for them. People who'd helped him in the past, tried to make him feel not so alone and isolated... and this is how he repaid them.

Still a sellsword, he thought, shaking his head at his own foolish hopes. Still a man who deals in death, whether he's holding a sword or not.

"... fine. You keep what you trap." Yacob's finger shot up before the grinning cunny could wallow in his success, words flowing fast and mean, now. "But you come whenever I say. We find a puddle the size of that hat you're wearing, and I tell you to use your wyrd, you do it. We clear?"

Konrad shrugged and nodded. That worked. His traps weren't the best but every other day he caught at least something. Having them all to himself... well, that made things much easier for him.

Yacob kept the glower on his face, and quietly marveled at how short-sighted the man's greed made him. Two traps? For the contents of two snares, he would earn the hate of everyone in the pavilion? State to all that he cared nothing for them, that all his help would come with a price? And what was his concession? That now, whenever Yacob needed him, he would come. Without complaint. All for two snares.

Walahks, he thought, allowing himself to shamefully slip into the old prejudice that Jonas had been so famous for. They understand nothing of honor.

Konrad didn't seem to see things that way. He sighed, one of those peculiar sounds that was halfway to a laugh, and thus so strange to hear from his lips. He turned on the younger man, arms stretched out, shaking his hands and tipping back his hat a little once they were good and loose. He closed his eyes and turned up his face to Syna.

Come out, come out, he whispered, and within that ruthless frame, terrible energies stirred. Time to work...

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Million Words! (1)

Divined Aspirations

Postby Konrad Venger on August 9th, 2017, 8:58 pm

"Get bucket and thing ready."

Konrad didn't spare a thought for how his vocabulary still needed to improve; much like how he didn't open his eyes to check if they were following his command. He would do what he was supposed to; if they were too slow, clueless, or deaf to collect what he drew up, that was on them.

Come out... now.

There was a muted chorus of quick, awed breath as green-black gas began to ooze from Konrad's hands. The ends of his fingers, the scars of his palms... they smoked with the stuff, as if his limbs were faggots and the ends were the flaming head. But this was smoke with a purpose, with orders, and Konrad did not need his eyes to issue.

Quite the opposite, actually.

Come together. Be one, and then grow...

It did as it was told. Over a year of training, of progress, of pain and lessons, both from his dead mentor and himself, meant that when Konrad called the res from within him, it came promptly. The gas curled and wound into a spot in front of him, turned in and congealed on itself. Became a spinning globe that became more and more like liquid as it whirled, a green planet scarred and slashed with perfect black.

"Now," Konrad whispered to himself, eyes opening, arms outstretched, beholding his creation. "Come up-"

His fingers curled in on the last word, halfway to fists, emphasizing the sheer violence in it. The command he was giving... what, exactly? The res? The water? Himself? It didn't matter. Reimancy, he had learned, was a matter of will. This was no different, and now he knew what result he wanted.

Bubbling from the ground. Dripping. The patter of water on dust, almost like rain in reverse. Konrad looked down and found the misty, spattered look of water on the dry ground had become... something shimmering... moving. Almost separate from the ground itself. Or trying to be.

Come... up.

He raised his hands, and there was another intake from the Pridesuns. In a fifteen foot radius around the head-sized ball of res he'd created, water was wobbling upward from the ground. Moving towards the ball of res in a rough cone, attracted towards it at Konrad's bidding... more and more of it, leeching from the ground, and why in the petch weren't-

"Why you wait?! Go!"

Konrad barked the words in Pavi that sounded like it was being ground out by an animal, but he was obeyed without question. They were all thirsty, and spellbound as they were by the site of such liquid flying through the air, they were a practical people.

Collect first, admire later.

Like minnows they ducked among the flying strands, tried to capture them in buckets and skins and bowels and pots... but the water kept moving. Kept floating towards that which attracted them without compromise. Konrad cursed their impatience and opened his mouth again to-

"Don't try and catch it! Hold whatever you have steady, and wait for him to drop it."

Yacob. Of course, he would get it first. Konrad could have thanked him: he didn't need to waste time and concentration explaining. But he still had to tell one of them to get the biggest prize, and already... yes... muscles spasmed and twitched in his arms. His djed was gnawing at his bones, telling him he was reaching his limit. So his words were bit out quickly, like a man in pain.

"Yacob? You, get bucket, under big ball. I make to water, too."

He wasn't slow, or stupid, but the handful of ticks seemed much longer to Konrad. His fingers were trembling and he could feel that familiar, coppery, acidic taste start to flood his mouth. Rain water was hanging free in the air in puddles, a dozen feet under the res ball, and Drykas were crouched and stooped under it .So many receptacles, so many eager faces, and all he needed was one more-

Yacob heaved his bucket under the ball, and Konrad breathed in-

Now.

-gave the mental order and the res became a ball of water, just hanging there in defiance of nature for a moment, until the man dropped his arms as if they'd suddenly become lead-

-and everything else fell with it.

Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Divined Aspirations

Postby Konrad Venger on August 10th, 2017, 3:34 am

Konrad made it rain again, if only for a moment.

He heard the patter of it, though his eyes were closed and his breathing heavy from his exhaustion. A shower, brief but distinct, sloshing in buckets and into waterskins and bowels. Then again, ticks later, as the surprised, wonder-struck Drykas spilled some here and there, marveling at the liquid now filling their various tubs.

Konrad opened his eyes and found more than a couple of gallons collected. Not much, in the grand scheme, but more than they had a chime or two ago. He rolled his shoulders, and felt the tension and tightness bite at him. Work its way down his numb arms, until they came alive again with a thousand needles biting at them.

Give it time, he told himself calmly, the feeling far from alien to him. You'll be good to go again in-

"We're going to need more than that."

As if reading his mind and deciding on the opposite, a voice chimed in. Konrad didn't need to look to know whom it belonged to: the tone of grim command with a hint of sour victory was enough to tell him it was Yacob.

Konrad cracked his knuckles, each one popping like an old man, and quietly wondered if overgiving could actually age your bones. His head worked side to side on his neck and vertebrae crackled like twigs. He looked before him and found naught but dry grass: where he'd worked still had some spatters, but nothing worth his efforts.

Decide fast, you're wasting time.

"There."

He didn't wait to see if Yacob followed, or ask his advice. He found himself slipping to that mercenary mindset, though he probably didn't recognize it as such. A contract had been made and agreed on, his services were hired and now it was on him to make himself useful. So he would do so... and if the people who hired him were smart, they'd shut the petch up and let him work.

He walked across the scorched earth that he'd just leeched of moisture, until he came to... another stretch of grass, much the same as the last one, only about thirty feet over. The shower had been brief, fierce, but seemed to have drenched all of Endrykas and the area beyond it. Konrad had plenty to choose from.

For now. Until Syna eats it.

The walahk chuckled. Ah, to be a mage, and feel competition with Syna, of all things. He flexed his hands and reached down, inverted, closed his eyes and took a breath and stretched out his hands where no-one could see... and found his djed bubbling in the caverns of his soul.

I need you again.

"Give me chime."

"We don't-"

"You know this magic?"

"I... well, I-"

"No. You do not. I do. I know what can do. What I can do. I know if make me go fast, will be bad. Will hurt. Maybe kill."
He turned and finally faced Yacob, face cool and composed, even with a thick sheen of sweat. "Not worth dying for. Not for traps. Not for you. So... wait."

First Rule of the Sellsword: No Contract is Worth Dying For

So he waited. Yacob waited. Sedon waited. The Pridesun pavilion waited, because they all seemed to be here. Why? Because Hansel - hated, despised, resented Hansel - was the man who could make it rain. He was the one among them that could pull the water from the ground, and drop it into their hands. Already half of them had full skins for the day ahead; the rest were eager to get their fill.

Konrad listened to Yacob separate the ones who had already filled their boots from the ones that had yet to. Cant be greedy, after all. Such a concept was not alien to the Drykas, but he had seen it. They're not even close to as perfect as they believe themselves to be, and hardly a superior race. Jonas was the prime example, but Konrad didn't need to see such a prick at work to know the truth.

We've all got darkness in us, thought the man raised in a stone hell of a city, words apropos as he lit his own darkness with djed. Just depends on how much we let it out.

Petch me. Getting philosophical as I get older. Bloody pathetic.

"... come..."

It came slower, but it still came. Like an animal that had already performed and now expected to rest. Reluctant and growling softly through his flesh, but still, it was his will. Konrad just had to remember it was his ass, too, and so he was more careful this time. He raised his arms slowly and waited until he could feel his arms pulsing with power. Feel the djed flowing through his muscles... pooling in his hands...

"Now."

He didn't bother with just thinking the words: he spoke them, and made his will real in the world, if only for a moment on the breeze. Again there was that rush of breath around him, as a green-black fog leaked from his hands and started to flow towards some ordained spot in front of him... above the ground... already making the rain water under it shimmer and jerk.

Not yet. "Not yet. Grow."

He didn't focus on the water, but on the res. That was the key. The larger he made it, the easier it became to attract, and the bigger the pay off once he finally transmuted it. He breathed out, squeezed the djed from his body like water from a waterskin (fitting enough). He could feel it exit him, all that energy expelled, taken from his body and soul and mind and pressed into the ball the size of his torso.

"Higher. Right there."

Yacob watched in grudging wonder, as that selfish bastard made magic glow in the air in front of him. He knew Hansel was a monster with that curved sword and his bare hands, but throwing magic into his corner, too... sometimes it seemed like the gods favored him a little too much.

Probably gave him that face to even it out. He shook his head, chasing the ugly thought away. The gods didn't do that to him, that much was clear.

Konrad steadied himself. It was close, now. Moments away. He opened his eyes and turned his hands so they faced palms up, and then spoke loud enough to be heard around the clearing-

"Rise... Rise now."

The water obeyed.
Last edited by Konrad Venger on September 12th, 2017, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Divined Aspirations

Postby Konrad Venger on August 10th, 2017, 3:28 pm

It didn't take long for him to realize he was dancing on the edge of his abilities. That final push, that last command, was enough to send tightness followed by ache shooting up his arms and into his shoulders. He gasped, arms faltering for a tick-

No! Not yet!

-and jerked them back where he needed them to be, palms rising again, and with it-

"Come on, go, go, move!"

Yacob's barked orders seemed so far away from him; as if across a great expanse or an abyss. Konrad's face dripped and shone with sweat; his eyes were wide and focused on... nothing. Seeing nothing. Not the people or the grass, or the magic he wielded. All of it looked inside, keeping rigid control over a body and a power ticks away from defying him.

The Pridesun didn't care. They saw only the water.

More than before, it seemed. Tendrils and arcs and shimmering waves of the stuff, thin but still visible, rising up from the grass and dirt as if gravity had taken ten chimes for a break. Children scrambled low under the waves, giggling as an errand strand wet their hair, shoving pots and pans under where they'd fall. Buckets followed, waterskins... even a rubber tarp held by four older, enterprising women.

Konrad blinked. Seemed to come back to himself. The res ball was as big as it would be, and he could feel a swell rushing towards him, like an island spying a tsunami. This had to stop. He checked under the res ball and saw the tarp, hoped they were ready-

Now. "Now."

Green and black became liquid silver in Syna's light. Konrad gasped and a scream choked itself in his throat. His arms... gods, they were burning, they were-

He let them drop and slumped to his knees. The Pridesun whooped and cheered as the water rained down again, spattering into various containers, the four women laughing as they struggled to keep a saddlebag's worth of water from spilling out of their tarp. Already their children and relatives were scooping skins and bottles through the little pool.

None of them paid attention to the man that had done the deed. Slumped down, then on his side, arms too weak to even hold himself up. He was gasping, coughing and when he spat out to the side-

Yacob's eyes widened briefly. There was blood. He took a step over, and Konrad's gaze met his. He wiped his lips with a trembling hand and ground his teeth like a caged animal. Ground and forced the pain back and away as he rose up on shaking legs, on hands that were brittle as old glass.

"We... done...?"

Yacob was no leader, but his orders were obeyed. No-one else wanted the job, note even the behemoths that Jonas had toted around as bodyguards. He could have demanded another show, another swell of liquid into their reserves... but looking at the man, inches away from trembling and stumbling, he knew that was asking too much.

Konrad coughed in his throat, hiding it as much as he could. Never show weakness. Never show your wounds. Be invulnerable, indestructible, immortal. Even to those who've seen you as anything but.

"No. That's enough for today. But later-"

"You know where I am."

He turned, and he left. Yacob watched him go, and only after he'd vanished into his tent did he realize Hansel hadn't taken any water. Then he smirked softly to himself, and mentally smacked himself upside the head.

Why would he?

Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes