Completed From The Sword to The Mug

Xen visits Tidepool Bar for a chance at a new life

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

From The Sword to The Mug

Postby Xen on June 8th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Summer 1,
A.V. 516
The elaborate cluster of Ranchos impressed Xen more than he anticipated. He did not expect to see a dignified, yet simple structure possessed by simplicity and beauty here, alongside a Falyndar coast known for its beast inhabited jungles. But then again, Xen felt he should have expected much from a place so beautiful it's called: paradise rediscovered.

Xen proceeded to walk toward The Tidepool Bar and wasted little time as he hurried across the pier with quickened and excited steps. All around him the sea water churned with small, silver fish and red fiddler crabs eager to consume any food abandoned by their owner to fall into their waters. However, Xen never noticed them; his mind too concerned with other things prevented him from offering the free time he possessed to the smaller creatures of life.

Xen entered The Tidepool Bar dressed in a white shirt and pair of tan shorts. He figured normal attire would make him look humble and—maybe even somewhat suited—for the place that would eventually become his workplace. Then Xen quietly observed the bars tropical setting as its fruit, and salt-scented air wafted around and filled him with feelings of excitement and warmth.

Somehow, The Tidepool Bar compelled Xen to feel a bit nostalgic while he was among its scented atmosphere, empty chairs, and quietude. Probably, because it reminded him of the massage parlor called: The Red Room—a place he once worked at during his time in Zinrah; the home of his kin, the constrictor dhani. Except here, Xen could see the heavens and feel the warmth of the sun and the wind unperturbed by stone and uncultured myrians.

“ A new beginning amidst paradise—eternal spring and summer—how befitting, ” Xen whispered in The Tidepool Bar with a forlorn expression.

He realized he would be starting over alone without those he considered his friends and his loved ones again. However, the saddest thing manifested as Xen's cold acceptance of his solitude and weakened social life. It was the lot fate bestowed onto him at birth or maybe before his parents roamed the world with the idea of Xen and his siblings secured and withheld within their minds.

Xen sighed and looked back at the pier he walked across: an allegory of his life. The narrow structure was lonesome and suspended over waters which brimmed with life and standing on the other end was a man.
Last edited by Xen on January 13th, 2018, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Words: 390077
Joined roleplay: July 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Xen on September 10th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Summer 1,
A.V. 516
Xen noted the stranger's visage and the way he walked. Xen saw no lack of confidence or any of that particular maliciousness or coldness he'd become accustomed to permeating the stranger as he walked towards him. Naturally, Xen felt displaced: his confidence stirred within proximity of a man seemingly liberated from guilt; devoid of doubt, and at peace with his world. So like a sulking creature which had adapted to the harsh, dark underbelly of his environment, Xen recoiled from the warmth and light the stranger represented to let him pass.

“ Welcome stranger, welcome! ” Stu gently placed a hand on Xen's left shoulder to show he was harmless since he recognized the weariness in Xen's less than lively eyes. “ Tha..thank you, do you happen to know who owns this place? I'm looking for work. ” Xen stuttered before he could properly articulate his words on account of an oddness he experienced after Stu touched him. It dawned on him: an unexplainable singularity, something he could only describe as positivity like—once again—life was worth celebrating. He felt happy.

“ Yes, I do know who owns this bar. He's a handsome, intelligent fellow with long flowing hair. ” Stuvantis Alkamar uttered as he crossed his arms then stroked his chin in admiration of himself. Xen smiled at Stu's humorous remark and gestures; he knew the priest hinted at his identity. But the way Stu did so reminded Xen of his younger, mischievous self which prompted a smile.

“ I bet the women adore him; he's a lucky man to be utterly lavished by female attention. If only I held his charm, ” Xen clasped his together and looked to the ocean in faux hope of being just like the mysterious Tidepool Bar keeper. Stu laughed: he seemed to be aware of the fact that Xen sensed and saw through his shenanigans and liked how Xen responded with wry humor befitting a "social butterfly". “ It seems I cannot fool you. I'm the owner of The Tidepool Bar: Stuvantis Alkamar! ” Stu slightly tilted to the side as he opened his arms in an exaggerated fashion and smiled like a rascal.

“ Everythings accounted for except the hordes of unyielding, adoring women, ” Xen raised his right hand above his eyes and started to look around for the unaccounted admirers. “ You wound me, friend! Wound me! I thought we understood each other! ” Stu in faux betrayal leaned back onto the Tidepool Bars threshold with a hand placed over his heart, prompting laughter from Xen.

Xen noticed how he changed within Stuvantis Alkamar's presence: the man possessed an air about him which compelled all the brightest emotions to rise, flourish in nimiety and promote all sorts of verbiage. It was against his nature to engage in conversation with strangers unconnected to his kith and kindred, yet Xen witnessed himself talking and opening up to one man alone in a place he hardly knew. Indeed, Xen was perplexed and oddly amused by the strange happening.

“ You do not need to call me friend; call me by my real name Xen or Jori. ” Xen outstretched his hand in a way that suggested he was willing to solidify a friendship or a bond between them near and away from the Tidepool Bar. Naturally—by good customs—Stu gratefully shook Xen's hand then beckoned him inside the Tidepool Bar he hoped would become a supplementary home for the young viper dhani enticed by morbidity.

The Tidepool Bar awoke with steps, questions, and conversation; Stu showed Xen around the bar, allowing him to slowly become accustomed to it while no one occupied the tropical setting.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xen on September 27th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Summer 1,
A.V. 516
Xen watched the way Stu studiously spoke, behaved, and moved around the Tidepool Bar's recesses, memorizing each way the priest gestured to him and exuded welcomeness and feelings of kinship. He believed that by mirroring Stu's mannerisms, he could adopt a similar charismatic air, yet again failing to understand the need to focus on more inward qualities he possessed.

Eventually, Stu and Xen entered the kitchen that carried an abundance of fruit varying in colors and aromas upon quaint counters. Interestingly, a tall figure stood where Stu and Xen were supposed to be with jars, an alembic, and a small brazier strung out in front of him while he ground something into a paste. Xen noticed the man's height and would have foolishly assumed the stranger was a constrictor dhani if his skin was not so vibrantly, blue. “ Jansen, I didn't know you were here! ” Stu greeted the Akalak by his first name like a good friend and disarmingly approached the giant; Xen closely followed him.

Good day, Stu and company, ” The akalak: Jansen Alavarth turned to properly greet Stu and Xen who walked in on him while he was in the process of making his evening lunch. “ Nice to meet you, Jansen. I'm Xen, and hopefully, your future coworker, ” Xen approached Jansen and outstretched his right hand to shake the akalaks hand. “ I don't work here, unfortunately, but you can always visit me if you're ever in need of help. ” Jansen replied and shook Xen's hand: thus completing their humble greeting and first impressions on a positive note, except Xen noticed the tinge of sadness in Jansen's voice, alluding to an unfortunate past.

That's right, Mr. Jansen here owns a big, fancy clinic called: The Panacea. Though, it pales in comparison to our ole Tidepool Bar here, ” Stu said to Xen.

I guess Stu is right, Jansen, only alcohol can heal a broken leg, ” Xen uttered to Jansen's amusement; Stu simply rolled his eyes. “ You're correct, Xen no amount of medical assistance can measure up to the grand, healing powers of The Tidepool Bar! ” Jansen said out of sarcasm.

Yeah, I can feel the sarcasm.... I should treat you wise men to one of my special blends later, ” Stu stated to his companions; Jansen rejected the offer by shaking his head and waving his finger, Xen by observation was smart enough to do the same.
“ Not this time I've learned from my mistake. Your last "Blue Whirlpool" had me so hungover my darker half was complaining the whole day! ” Jansen said which greatly amused Stu and left Xen wondering what kind of crazy, eccentric man Stu was.

“ Thanks for warning me, Jansen I will be cautious around Stu when he offers me a drink from now on, ” Xen squinted his eyes at Stu, giving him an accusing gaze, as he spoke to Jansen. “ Oh come on, Xen don't be like that... I'll only serve you a little bit,” Stu said with a suspicious glint in his eyes.

“ Don't trust him, Xen, ” Jansen said to Xen. “ Don't worry, Jansen... I won't. ”
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xen on December 6th, 2017, 9:15 pm

Summer 1,
A.V. 516
“ I guess that's enough fun and games for the moment. I still need to gauge your skills, Xen, and the daylight doesn't last forever. ” Stu added to the conservation, reminding both Jansen and Xen about the meaning of his arrival. Afterward, Xen—who had not forgotten about his reasons for entering Tide Pool Bar and inquiring Stu about a job—realized he'd overindulged in side-talk for too long and took on a more serious, if not, focused attitude.

Jansen noticed how the atmosphere changed quickly and decided to quiet down, as to not distract Xen and to become a bystander as Stu’s test unfolded. “ There are times when I feel overwhelmed since a man can only do little for himself while attending to his home, people, and lord. ” Stu said as he walked by Xen and Jansen and placed a hand on the counter.

“ Nevermind, I probably shouldn’t ramble. So let’s get started, ”After he spoke, Stu gathered some leftover fruit he had sitting around on the other side of the kitchen and placed them beside a knife on the counter. Xen approached Stu, as did Jansen, and stood next to him, wondering what the priest had in store for him.

“ Like always, let's begin with the-dicing-of-fruit.” Stu uttered with a smirk; he hoped someone noticed his wordplay. “Oh, okay, ” Xen replied, blatantly unaware of Stu’s witticisms. Xen looked at the assortment of fruit in front of him; he noticed an apple, orange, peach, pineapple, and a banana sat quietly in front of him, seemingly waiting for him to make a decision. He chose the softest fruits—the banana and peach—slid them closer to him then grabbed the handle of the knife.

Excellent, now gently— ” …. WAM-WAM-CRACK!?!: Stu was interrupted by Xen’s sudden, loud chopping. “STOP, STOP, STOOOOP! You’re going to break the knife! ” Stu grabbed Xen by his wrist, but it was already too late: Xen had slashed the peach and banana into messy pieces like an old, malfunctioning blender. “ I apologize, I remembered you mentioned limited daylight and assumed you wanted things to start moving faster, ” Xen stated apologetically with shifty eyes.

I’ll just grab some of these, ” Jansen said as he gingerly grabbed the remaining banana skins and the butchered seed of the peach and tossed them out the window. “Thanks, Jansen, but Xen let’s avoid doing such things, okay? Your courtesy, though, is appreciated. ” Stu mentioned to Xen while he cautiously moved Jansen’s mortar and pestle to Xen; Jansen watched in apprehension. “Yeah, you’re right Stu. Now how do I use this bowl and stick? ” Xen asked as he lifted the pestle with his right hand and squinted at it.

The bowl is called a mortar, and the stick’s called a pestle. ” Jansen replied. “ I recommend you put the banana in the mortar then gently tap it with the pestle, you’ll see how it works, ” Jansen continued. “ Hmm... ” Xen followed Jansen’s instructions: he scooped up the banana pieces, placed them inside the mortar, and then repeatedly tapped the banana pieces. “Now try turning it, ” Jansen added while he guided Xen through the steps. In the meantime, Stu snuck away to grab some powdery yeast.

Naturally, Xen appreciated Jansen’s guidance, especially, since his last blunder left him feeling a bit awkward. Slowly, he started to turn the pestle like he was stirring a pot of stew and watched as the still somewhat solid banana pieces gradually turned into a semi-solid paste. “ A mortar and pestle create pastes? ” Xen asked Jansen while he practiced his stirs. “Powders can be created, if you have enough dry materials, ” Jansen said informatively; Xen carefully noted Jansen's words.

Stu returned with a bowl of yeast then peeked at Xen to see how far he progressed. The banana had become a paste, unlike the mutilated peach that sat completely unloved. Stu sympathetically placed the diced peach into the jar. “ He should be done by now unless you want him to make some… banana Stu (stew), ” Stu chuckled. “Really? ” Xen said after he stopped stirring and displayed a look of disapproval. “Yes, he’s done...No more of those puns, please. ” Jansen said to Stu, who simply laughed.

Heh, you know it was funny. Now Xen put that paste right in this jar, ” Stu said with a smirk. Xen poured the paste into the jar: “Awww, it doesn't look very appealing… wait, ” Xen facepalmed: he realized Stu’s puns had rubbed off on him. “Oh right… I forgot we needed water. ” Stu scratched his head: he couldn’t believe he had forgotten water, and worse, he didn’t have any purified water ready. “ I can make some. It won't be the best quality, though. ” Xen stated without hesitation.

Xen surprised himself: normally, he would have hesitated and let Stu gather some water, but that astonishment faded quickly after he realized the time he spent with Stu and Jansen helped him see they were good people. And it made him feel genuinely happy. Next, Xen used that happiness to fuel the desire to manipulate the djed flowing throughout his body. Then he closed his eyes to focus and began channeling djed beyond his shoulder, down his arm, and then into his fingertips.

Soon, a tingling sensation enveloped Xen's hand as a transparent mist-like substance rose from the skin along his outstretched, right palm. “ I felt less strain than usual, but it is still a little exhausting to perform magic, ” Xen thought.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xen on January 13th, 2018, 1:40 am

Summer 1,
A.V. 516
Afterward, Xen slowly maneuvered the djed toward the jar. He made it move upward as Stu opened the jar then down into the glass object until the length of its gaseous form fit inside. Soon, he quickly focused his attention on transforming the res into clean water. Which—with some difficulty—occurred thanks to the combined effort of his imagination, experience with water, and will. Now a jar of mixed fruit and water awaited further attention.

So you're a mage too? ” Jansen asked Xen, someone, he did not anticipate to be capable of producing and manipulating an element. He assumed Xen-the quirky serpent-had some other profession other than one that focused on dealing with djed, like a farmer or animal handler. By reason that Xen's quiet, awkward character and silent disposition was like someone who tended to other livings, whether sentient or nonsentient. But Jansen only nodded at the sudden lesson life just taught him and remained humbled.

A water mage is welcomed in Syka, however, ” Stu slid some yeast to a distracted Xen, grabbing his attention diverted by Jansen's question. “We need to finish this work before we discuss anything else. ” Stu plainly stated. Under Stu's instruction, Xen slowly titled the bowl and poured yeast into the jar, to finish the task.

What's next? ” Xen asked expectingly.

Well, that is how you create alcohol from fruit. You can add sugar to your brews to make them stronger, but avoid adding too much. Oh, remember boiling and washing fruit you gather from the jungle is a must, even skinning them can help too. ” Stu said, informing Xen on the basics of brewing.

Anything thing else I should remember? ” Xen asked in case Stu had forgotten to tell him something.

Yes, thoroughly boil sugar water; mash your fruit, and stirring yeast will be your first steps. After this, stir your mix once a day for a week then you will filter your brew. The last step is letting it ferment somewhere it will be disturbed; maybe somewhere cool in your bungalow or deep in the sand.

” Stu continued, pouring his knowledge on Xen.

I can teach you philtering, someday, Xen. It's a skill worth your time if you enjoy brewing. ” Jansen added.

Xen's head started spinning after Stu's explanation, yet he noted Jansen's proposal for a later time. “ Ugh, there's so much to remember, though, I feel I can enjoy brewing despite everything. ” Xen humbly announced to Stu and Jansen, who only nod before Xen's rising conviction.

Good, then we will stop for today. I will talk with the founders and see if they accept my approval of your employment, but I doubt they'll have objections. ” Stu said confidently as he guided Xen from the kitchen and toward the Tidepool Bar's entrance.

Jansen you heading out with us? ” Xen looked back asking his akalak companion; Jansen shook his head. “ No, I'll be staying. I haven't finished working here yet, see you later, Xen. ” Jansen stated with a grin.

Alright, I'll visit you another day for those philtering lessons. Until then, take care Jansen, ” Xen waved goodbye as he finally left the kitchen and ushered an end to his busy day.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on January 21st, 2018, 7:58 am

Xen

Experience: Observation +5, Socialization +2, Planning +1, Cooking + 1, Brewing +1

Lores: Syka: Location Of The Tidepool Bar, Stu: Owns The Tidepool, Jansen: Owner Of The Panacea, Cooking: Proper way to chop fruit, Cooking: Mortar and Pestle
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)