Closed [The Rearing Stallion] Boiling Point (Tiath)

Tiath comes to help Orin in the kitchen

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Rearing Stallion] Boiling Point (Tiath)

Postby Sylvette Sciath on April 9th, 2015, 12:11 am

Still fixing Orin with Big eyes Sylvette puffed out her cheeks and put her hands on her hips. "But Oooriiin, I was hungry before I shifted, and now, I'm Reaaally hungry". Then gesturing to the white summer dress she was wearing, "And I even put on clothing, I don't see why you are fussing at me again." It was at this moment that Orin told Sylvette that she was being rude to their guest, the other man in the kitchen, the tall light haired man who was cooking next to Orin, Peeking around Orin so that she could make eye contact with the man she took her thumb and pointed at her small chest, "My name's Sylvette" Before withdrawing back behind Orin, Sylvette didn't particularly care for men, Other than Orin that was. Well really she didn't like people beyond Orin, though people that were significantly taller than her made her feel mildly threatened, especially so after some of the fights Sylvette and Orin had been in. Though Sylvette was of a rather shy disposition to begin with, Though Orin had overcome that side of her via his cooking, and general pleasantness to be around. This stranger on the other hand was just that, a stranger.

Crossing her arms and again looking at Orin, "He didn't seem me shift cause I was careful bout it this time" Sylvette told Orin in a hushed tone. Then widening her eyes one more time Sylvette stomped one of her bare feet fixing Orin with a beam twice as strong as her previous one, "Oriiiin, I'm huuungry nooooww" then twisting one of her feet back and forth and clasping her hands in front of herself before looking at the ground, "So pleaase can I have just a bite?" With that Sylvette held the posture trying to look as pitiful as possible, after all this was a matter of food. And the only thing better than food later, is food now. Not that Sylvette didn't understand the importance of Orin's work or the deadlines he had to meet each day, but Every now and then Sylvette liked to bug him for treats and the like, sometimes to lighten his mood, other times, cause she was hungry. Peaking around Orin Sylvette looked at the man who was helping him cook, giving him the same pleading stare she had just fixed Orin with, perhaps she could win him over along with winning over Orin, then she would have leverage and an even bigger chance of getting a treat.
Sylvette Sciath
Ginger

Words: 37951
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2014, 4:24 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Tiath Othos on April 9th, 2015, 9:32 am

It was a difference experience for Tiath to be in front of the two of them and watched them bicker back and forth about food and something about shifting, which he choose to shuffle his feet nervously as he had not even the slightest clue on what they could be on about. His home life had never very few arguments or even heated discussions in front of him, they always had happened behind closed doors or while he was away, the only way he had even been able to tell that one had happened were that his mother seemed less then inclined to make that nights meal of a good quality. Well at least those two are very comfortable with themselves... It’s actually pretty nice Smiling to himself he kept silent for as long as he could, trying to not bring any attention to himself.

Even tho he was trying to keep to himself, it was hard to not just listen as they talked back and forth between themselves. When the girl was defending and pointed out that she had even put on clothes caused him to choke momentarily, spluttering he turned back to watch the rest of their conversation with more interest, "Is clothing really that optional?" He wonder aloud before remembering that he was also standing in the kitchen without a shirt learning to cook, maybe this is just a normal thing around here?.

He smiled as the girl introduced herself, bowing slightly to her in return as he had been taught, "It’s nice to meet you miss, my names Tiath." He paused for a moment, Was that too much? Straight away started to regret the formality of his greeting, a trait he had gotten from the years of addressing his father and anyone that he had been introduced to. He couldn't guess her age at all, she seemed to be only a bit younger than him but the way she acted he would have guessed that she was a few more years younger than he would have guessed.

Tiath listen slightly amused as she pleaded to Orin for some food, feeling a slight heart tug for her, she played the pitiful card really well. After all she was just wanting some food and it wasn't like the request wasn't too unreasonable. He was rather surprised when she gave him a look as well, pulling at his heartstrings, sighing he glanced at Orin before clearing his throat mildly to try get his attention. "If you want... I could always go out and get some bread or something... You are teaching me something and I feel like I owe you at least that much?" He said somewhat awkwardly, unsure if he was stepping out of line by butting in or not.
Tiath Othos
The quiet blacksmith.

Words: 75918
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2014, 11:20 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on April 9th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Orin rolled his eyes at Sylvette’s childlike behavior. Of course, she was just out of childhood but even Orin had known better at her age. So Sylvette’s begging wasn’t going to work even though it half broke his heart to see that pitiful expression on her face. Orin was going to have to get a lot better at controlling his emotions if Sylvette was going to keep pulling stunts like this. Of course, Orin knew nothing of caring for another, especially someone who wasn’t quite fully grown. Since Orin hadn’t had any siblings or even close relatives with children the only experience he had to base Sylvette’s behavior off of was his own. And Orin would be the first to admit he’d had a rather unusual upbringing.

That just meant there would probably be quite a bit of trial and error involved before Orin got a handle on being the responsible one and the caregiver in a relationship. Not that Sylvette wasn’t perfectly capable of taking care of herself but she did have an annoying habit of deferring to Orin’s judgement. Orin had been trying to break her of that, wanting to put her on the steps of independence. Of course, they’d almost always be linked but Orin didn’t really see the bond as anything more than an emotional tie that was similar to the one shared by two lovers or siblings. There was a bit more to it than that, of course, but two people who cared for each other and spent a lot of time together did seem to develop a sort of an extra sense when it came to the other. Orin didn’t have that with anyone else but he did think that his bond with Sylvette was more of an higher level of that. And there was no reason that Orin and Sylvette couldn’t both be fiercely independent and yet still lean on the other for strength from time to time. It wasn’t that Orin feared being tied down. But he feared other’s being too overly reliant on Orin since Orin wasn’t sure he had the capacity for that much responsibility.

Not letting his stern expression change, Orin stepped so Sylvette’s view of Tiath was blocked. Trying to rope him into her desperate bid for food and attention wasn’t a very nice course of action. ”No Tiath, clothing really is not that optional in public. But I appreciate you at least trying. Maybe we’ll work on underwear next yeah Sylvette?” Orin tried to make his face look even more pointed if that was even possible. Orin wasn’t very good at glaring but he had a feeling Sylvette would make him become quite good at it in a very short amount of time. ”And that’s very kind of you to offer Tiath. But we’re in a kitchen so going out to get bread would be kind of silly. Not that I don’t appreciate it though. But this is something Sylvette and I are working on.” Never letting his eyes leave Sylvette’s, Orin leaned forward. ”You need to work on your patience young lady. I told you the food would be ready in under half a bell. Surely you won’t starve to death in the intervening time. Therefore, as I said, you’re just going to have to wait. And further pouting isn’t going to get you anywhere.” Unable to bear the pleading look on her face for another tick, Orin turned back to Tiath. Besides, they finally needed to add the fish.

Picking up the cod chunks, Orin threw them into the pot. ”Now we’re going to add the cod. And the lemon juice. Just a splash of that, not too much. Otherwise the taste will get overpowering. And, more importantly, we’re going to move it down from a boil to a simmer. That just means lowering the fire, or, in the case of this stove, moving the pot to a slightly cooler portion.” Picking up the bottle of lemon juice, Orin poured a small portion in, and then passed it over to Tiath to do the same. Moving his pot to the outside of the stove Orin pointed out another place for Tiath to move his. ”There is good. Careful though, even though it’s not a forge the metal is still hot enough to burn you.” As Orin knew very well having grown up with numerous burned limbs and singed hairs before he’d finally learned to protect himself. ”Ten more chimes of this step. I’ll tell you what comes next at that point.” Turning his body so he could keep Tiath and Sylvette in his vision at the same time and still keep an eye on the stew, Orin casually spoke. ”So, Sylvette, why don’t you tell Tiath a little about yourself?” Orin wanted her to get some practice speaking to someone other than Orin for a change. If Orin had to go through it then Sylvette would. And it would be nice for her to have more people she could call friends. Mostly, though, Orin wasn’t up to talking to her himself after their little spat.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Sylvette Sciath on April 10th, 2015, 11:19 pm

Orin could be quite confusing at times, and at other times downright frustrating he would at times get frustrated with Sylvette not being independent enough or following him too closely, then at other times he was bossy, it was quite confusing at times. In response to Orin telling her to wear underwear Sylvette replied by sticking out her tongue, "If you don't wanna wear a shirt cause it's hot, Why should I wear underwear?" Sylvette dress did go just down to her knees so it wasn't like she was exposed which was what Orin worried about, So why make a big deal about it? It wasn't like Sylvette had never seen Orin naked before, and he hadn't made a big deal out of it then, though he had thought her to be a cat at the time and had been more private sense he had come to know that SYlvette wasn't an ordinary cat.

Giving up on getting any food out of Orin this time Sylvette trotted out from behind Orin to get abetter look at the man who called himself Tiath, He wasn't wearing a shirt either. Maybe hypocrisy was a virtue among men? Looking him over once Sylvette approached him looking him over more closely this time. His body was slim though fit and had a fair share of scars on it. He was at least a wole foot taller than Sylvette and had for what Sylvette noticed a second time, Shockingly white hair. Adrressing Tiath Sylvette looked at him. Orin wants me to tell him about myself, well, what is there to say. "Well Tiath, I get rid of pests, Like rats and the like, beyond that, well.... I like food, taking naps, and getting petted. I don't like wearing clothing, and I don't like it when Orin gets stingy with snacks." Sylvette wasn't particularly mad at Orin, and it showed in her voice, there was a light tone to it that showed that she was rather enjoying herself, even if she had lost to Orin in their clash of wills. "So Tiath, What do you think, Should i have to wear a dress and underwear or isn't it to hot for such things?" Moving onto her next game Sylvette began to tease Tiath, not that there was any ill will behind it. If anything it was because Sylvette didn't find the young man very intimidating, he seemed to be of a similar temperament to Orin so it was likelyshe could play with him without getting herself into any real trouble.
Sylvette Sciath
Ginger

Character sheet

Postby Tiath Othos on April 11th, 2015, 10:10 am

He gave a small shrug before giving Sylvette a sorry look, he had tried for her but there was no way he was going to argue with Orin, not wanting to risk getting on his bad side even in the slightest. He took a moment to think about them, actually... What are they...? I mean if I was to guess I would have to say that they are brother and sister? They argue like family but they look nothing alike. Maybe they had paired up for some reason? He glanced between the two of them for a moment, it’s not like they were a couple as far as he could tell, and the age differences made it seem very unlikely. He was slightly surprised when Orin said that the food still had about half a bell left, glancing over what they had done he would have guessed that it wouldn't have been that long to finish, maybe a quarter a bell? Again shrugging mentally he begun to follow Orin's newest instructions on what to do next.

Picking up the chunks of fish, he tipped them gingerly into the pot, retreating his hands as he felt the heat from the water splashing up towards his fingers before taking the bottle that had been passed to him. He glanced over at Orin’s pot, wondering exactly how much the chief had poured into the pot. A splash? How much is that exactly? It can’t be that strong a taste can it? Glancing at Orin to see if he was watching, he placed a small dab onto his finger before biting his finger lightly, licking the spot where it had been dabbed. Regret was the first thing he experienced as his tongue touched the juice, jerking away from his hand as if to physically get away from the taste that assaulted him. Screwing his face up from the taste, he leaned forward and poured a small amount into the pot, not sure if he had put in too little. Even if that is not enough, nothing that sour can ever be good for food. He carefully pushed the pot across the stove to the place that Orin had pointed out for him, careful that he didn't come to close to the hot steel that was below him, he had burned himself a few times at the forge tho it hurt for longer he had found that hitting himself accidently with a hammer hurt more.

He had to hold back a small laugh as the girl questioned Orin on his shirtless state in comparison to her having to wear underwear, it was a very strange but funny to him none the left. He couldn't tell that she hadn’t been wearing it in the first place and now that he had been... Enlightened to the fact, it made the whole thing a little bit more awkward then before, if that was somehow possible. He was rather surprised that Orin had asked the girl to speak to him, she had seemed rather shy about it before, maybe I missed something from their argument? Turned out things still had a little way to go with making the situation more confusing for him as Sylvette told him about what she did and what she liked, forcing him to give a small laugh at her obvious love for food. Her next question really caught him off guard, bringing the redness back into his cheeks as he tried to give a half decent response. "Well... Uh... It depends? " He looked to Orin in a desperate cry for some help, "I guess you if it’s just you and Orin you could??" He was becoming flustered to the point where he couldn't even meet her gaze.
Tiath Othos
The quiet blacksmith.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on April 11th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Orin’s jaw dropped at Sylvette’s response. He closed and opened it a few times, sputtering and completely unsure how he was supposed to react to that statement. ”That’s not, I mean, what makes you, what, how, why I don’t know how I’m supposed to…” Orin trailed off then rubbed his temples. He could feel the beginning of a headache coming on. Perversely, Orin hoped that some of it backlashed onto Sylvette. Usually only strong emotions passed through their mental link but if one or the other was focusing sometimes subtler nuances bled through. Orin was still figuring out how exactly being bonded worked. A lot of it was intuitive, such as the fiercely protective instinct that kicked in whenever one of the partners was threatened. Some needed quite a bit of careful thought about how Orin was supposed to treat Sylvette. And that’s where Orin kept stumbling. Their relationship defied the categories that Orin knew and so he was basically making this up as he went along. Still, Orin hoped he was doing a good job. Sylvette hadn’t left yet. Of course, Orin wasn’t even sure that they could leave one another.

Placing his right hand on the table and the left on his hip, Orin gave Sylvette a sickly sweet smile. He’d come up with a particularly brilliant idea and Sylvette probably wouldn’t know what hit her. Orin couldn’t keep the glee out of his voice. ”Alright you got me. I guess if I’m shirtless then it’s okay for you to not be wearing underwear. But oh, look at that, I’m putting my shirt back on. Guess that means you have to go get some underwear now doesn’t it?” Orin slipped his still damp shirt over his head. It clung to his body. Still it was a small price to pay for Orin to finally win an argument about Sylvette’s notion’s about nudity. Orin was feeling pretty pleased with himself for this one and it showed on his face. Turning to Tiath he gave the other man a friendly wink. ”Sorry about this. We’re still working on a few ground rules. And she should know better than to bring strangers, well, new acquaintances rather, into it.” Grabbing the bottle, Orin poured a little bit more into Tiath’s pot. He hadn’t missed the expression on the man’s face when he’d tasted it. Orin knew that pure lemon juice was quite difficult to swallow. But as a flavoring it was invaluable. ”Don’t worry, cooking mixes the taste with the other ingredients and dulls the potency a bit. You don’t have to be afraid it’ll be that strong in the final dish.”

Speaking of, Orin judged enough time had passed for them to put the last batch of ingredients into the stew. Picking up the milk, Orin poured it into a cup, then dumped it into the stew. Handing the milk and the cup to Tiath, Orin smiled at the man. ”Here. Add a cup of milk then we’ll have to wait another ten chimes but we’ll be all set. Well, actually, I hope you don’t mind if I handle the spices. They’re quite expensive and I’m barely allowed to use them myself. I trust you obviously or you wouldn’t be here but I’d get in a lot of trouble if a stranger wasted spices you see.” Picking up the salt and pepper, Orin sprinkled a bit into both of the pots. It wasn’t supposed to be that much. It was just enough to give the dish a bit of a kick. Salt especially when paired with pepper tended to elevate good dishes to exceptional. Which, combined with the difficulty of harvesting it was probably why it was so expensive. When he finished with the spices, Orin tied them off and then put them back into the cabinet.

Unfortunately Orin hadn’t been paying attention to his surroundings. So, when a booming voice rang out from the back door Orin was completely startled. He whirled to see Rondo in a rage if the color on the man’s cheeks was any indication. ”What is this menagerie you’re running here Orin? Who said you could have guests in my kitchen hm? When Remi finds out about this I hope she’ll finally fire you, you useless boy.” Orin was so surprised that he did nothing at first as Rondo swept into the kitchen glaring at everyone before settling on Orin with a sneer. ”Finally after far too long putting up with you bumbling around my kitchen, I’ll have blessed peace. Maybe you should just pack up and flee like the coward you are.”

At that, something deep with Orin revolted. Straightening up, Orin felt fire rush to his limbs and in the pit of his stomach. For too long Orin had stood by meekly, letting Rondo get his way. Since clearly being passive hadn’t gotten through the man’s thick skull, perhaps a bit of shouting was in order. ”Oh really? You think I’ve been messing up? What about you huh? You’re close-minded, ignorant, entirely too set in your ways and a snob. You make the same dishes over and over and call them masterpieces when any fool with a tongue could tell you that it gets old fast. You’re losing your touch old man and you’re just jealous that I’m going to be a better cook than you could ever be. And leaving me in the kitchen when Remi is out hoping I would fail is a cheap underhanded trick and I won’t stand for it anymore.” It was Rondo’s turn to be speechless as Orin stalked forward to stab a finger into the man’s chest. Orin was spitting mad and he didn’t particularly care who or what heard him now. This was two seasons worth of frustration coming out and Orin wasn’t going to let the moment slip by without giving as good as he got. Orin was beyond consequences, too focused on giving Rondo a piece of his mind.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Sylvette Sciath on April 12th, 2015, 11:34 pm

Every now and then Orin displays incredible amounts of stubborn logic, and this was certainly one of those moments. Giving Sylvette a look that could only be called smug Orin agreed with Sylvette, only to turn her words against her. Pulling his shirt over his head he informed that since he was now wearing his shirt then Sylvette would have to put on underwear. Looking at Orin incredulously Sylvette shook her head in defeat. After all one needs to know when they have lost an enlargement, and since Orin was using Sylvettes own logic against her, well there wasn't a way to win. "I guess I have to then, though I hope you know, it really is too hot for them." Turning on her heal Sylvette spun about and headed to the pantry where she had stowed her clothing for the day and walked in. retrieving her undergarments.

As Sylvette was doing this she heard a voice come from the kitchen that had always made her roll her eyes in irritation, Rondo. From the sounds of it the man was in a particularly confrontational mood today as well. He was shouting about his hopes for Orin to finally get fired from the Stallion. Just hearing the gall of the man made Sylvette's blood boil. He had no right to speak to her partner in such a rude way. Though before Sylvette could say anything Orin returned the man's shouts verbally pushing the man back with a torrent of words that put Rondo's to shame. Seeing Orin in this state was always quite troubling and yet intriguing at the same time. Seeing the anger that Orin could produce always awed Sylvette as it was such a rare occurrence that when it happened one did not want to be on the receiving end of it for fear of what the outcome would be.

Standing back though close enough to interject should she be needed Sylvette watched the argument and Tiath to see how he was handling the situation, After all Rondo had thrown blame on him as well as far as being a source of the issue.
Sylvette Sciath
Ginger

Character sheet

Postby Tiath Othos on April 14th, 2015, 5:05 am

Suppressing a laugh, Tiath couldn't help but grin at watching Orin start to stumble on his words, it had been like watching a cat play with a caught mouse. It was amusing to watch for him as he had just been the awkward one not long ago and he was happy to not be the only one, it looks like she has got you with that one Orin. He glanced over at the pot for a moment, leaning over it to look at the cooking food, it was starting to smell rather good, maybe the lemon juice hadn't been as overpowering as he thought. Well Orin is a chief after all, I would hope he knew his craft if he his running the kitchen[i] He had only been barely paying attention to the kitchen around him, since the moment he had entered things had been a bit stressful for him to take the time to do so and glancing around the kitchen was pretty good, at least from what he had experienced which was just his mothers and that was nothing in comparison to where they were now. [I]Orin said he was the assistance chief... I think... I wonder what the head chief would be like then, I wonder what he can cook in comparison to Orin...

Leaving the thought hanging he brought his attention back to his current teacher, becoming slightly disturbed by the very strange smile that he was giving Sylvette, Did I miss something? It was Orin's counter logic that got him, unable to stifle the laughter that came as he watched Orin put his shirt and the look of defeat that Sylvette gave in turn. Smiling at the two of them as he took a step back and watched Orin pour a bit more of the lemon into the mix in, "Don't be sorry, I am having a really good time besides I was the one that stumbled in here. Thank for taking me on for the by the way, it’s been really run" He paused for a moment and glanced over at the retreating Sylevtte, "Very strange as well I will admit but still fun" He said joyfully.

Watching as Orin pulled out a cup and milk, watching as he poured then mixed it into his pot before passing the ingredients to him. He listened to Orin half-heartedly as he made sure he didn't waste any of the milk as he filled up the cup, trying to get the cup completely full before he tipped it over into the pot before turning giving him his full attention. Again he stepped back from the pot to let Orin do his thing, I really should put my shirt back on... Following through with that thought he quickly slid it on, patting it down a little before returning to watch Orin work with the spices. "You're very trusting to let a stranger even do this much" He commented aloud "Though I can understand, you are cooking for a tavern and this ends up being for customer’s right? "

Tiath jumped as a voice boomed from behind them, panicking at the new sound as he turned around to see a very angry figure standing behind them, his eyes glancing over towards the cupboard where Sylvette was, for some reason very glad that she hadn't been seen as he was unsure if she was supposed to be here or not. Judging from the way the man was yelling he took a guess that this may have been Orin's head chief or at least someone who was higher up then him. He involuntarily felt himself shrink and redden under the man’s gaze, perhaps I should have asked Orin if this had been allowed, that didn't matter now as things seemed to be going badly. "Orin was just..." he started quietly before he was completely shut down by Orin's returning volley of charged words. He physically backed away from the two of them, a hand running through his hair out of the nervous habit he had, his hand twitching towards his shoulder where he normally kept his sword. He had not brought it as he thought that a maybe cooking wouldn't have required any sort of confrontation, turns out he was wrong. He was beginning to freeze up as Orin continued to rile into the man, unsure of whether or not he should intervene, it pretended that he had to make a choice but he already had. He gathered up what little courage that he muster before voicing his opinion, "Orin didn't do anything wrong!" He yelled loudly. Surprised that at himself for being loudly, he shrunk back a little, now feeling nervous that he had stepped into something he shouldn't have. "Orin didn't do anything wrong" He repeated in a more nervous tone, "He had offered to teach me some cooking so I didn't just keep eating bread each day and" glancing at Orin for a moment "He is not to blame" with each word he felt himself shrinking back more and more. "Sorry Orin"
Tiath Othos
The quiet blacksmith.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on April 15th, 2015, 12:16 pm

The look on Rondo’s face was priceless and Orin would treasure it for the rest of his life. As Sylvette might say, this kitten has claws. Sylvette probably wouldn’t ever say something like that but Orin felt it was particularly apt. After all, Orin had been so meek that Rondo had apparently mistaken Orin trying to keep the peace and not my waves for Orin not having a backbone. And that was so completely off the mark that it just enraged Orin even further. Rondo had a lot to learn when it came to treating employees right. Especially employees that had surpassed one’s own skill. Orin, if he was ever in Rondo’s shoes, would happily pass along the role of leader of the kitchen to anyone who could rival Orin’s abilities. After all, infighting and jealousy and clinging to the remnants of a glory-filled past did nothing to help the tavern, the customers, or the art of cooking itself. If Rondo had just let Orin in, what the two of them could have done together would have been absolutely amazing. But instead, the man had shut Orin out and now he was paying the price of his choices. Orin didn’t foresee himself coming out of this encounter with a job. However, seeing as Orin was now probably one of, if not the, best chefs in Syliras, Orin didn’t have any doubts about his chances of finding a new job. It was not so much a function of when as where. What tavern, inn, or organization would Orin want to work for. The Herald’s Arms was an option although Orin didn’t know how he would feel being forced to watch the other business of that place. Luckily, Orin would probably be in the kitchen the entire time so the sensual dances and the private company that The Herald’s Arms offered wouldn’t be in Orin’s life unless he wanted them to be.

Still, The Herald’s Arms was just one option. Orin was certain there were numerous other shops, business and organizations who would hire Orin in a heartbeat. If not, Orin was pretty sure the Order needed cooks, so as a last resort Orin could ask to go work for them. Orin didn’t particularly want to be under the scrutiny of the Knighthood all the time but it was better than being without a job entirely. Of course, there was another opportunity here if Orin was feeling brave. Perhaps this was the sign Orin had been waiting for from the universe to tell Orin that now was the time he should strike out on his own. After all, Orin had only been asking for a little push and this certainly counted as more like a big shove telling Orin to take this time to explore. And even as the hot flame of anger filled Orin’s chest and gut, the glorious joy of freedom filled Orin’s brain.

Turning to Tiath, Orin shook his head. ”There is no need for you to be sorry. At the same time, Rondo started recovering and it wasn’t pretty. He began shrieking at Orin, at Tiath and even at Sylvette who had sequestered herself away from all of this drama in the pantry. Hopefully she’d finally put on her underwear and had gathered everything else she had stashed away here since Orin guessed they’d be leaving soon. ”You are making a mockery of this institution and mouthing off to your superiors, and I will not stand for it!” Rondo’s face had turned a fascinating shade somewhere between red and purple. Orin idly wondered if the man’s heart could take all this strain. ”I could put up with incompetence because let’s face it, everyone is incompetent in comparison to me, but this is completely unacceptable. You’re fired my boy and don’t go looking for jobs anywhere in Syliras. After I’m done, no one will hire you with your reputation.”

Orin laughed. It was a genuine laugh full of absolutely unadulterated joy. It brought Rondo’s words to a halt. Orin wiped the beginnings of tears from his eyes, then faced off against the older cook. ”Oh that’s rich. That’s absolutely rich, thinking that you, of all people, would try and tarnish my reputation. Let me let you in on a little secret, Rondo. Nobody likes you. Nobody else would put up with your ridiculous the way Remi does. You’re a fantastic chef but a terrible person. So good luck trying to tell all your ‘buddies’ that I’m a horrible person. I’m sure they’ll believe you.” Orin’s voice was practically dripping with sarcasm at the end. And Orin still had a long way to go yet. Orin hadn’t quite realized how deeply under Orin’s skin Rondo had gotten until this moment. ”Now, I love that you think you can fire me, because you can’t. That power lies in Remi and Kevith’s hands and I know it must hurt to be placated by them in your own kitchen. It’s kind of like when we humor our elders even when they’ve slipped so far into old age that they can’t take care of themselves. Or letting a child have their favorite toy because they’ll throw a tantrum. Rondo, you’re spoiled and immature and full of bluster and arrogance but, beyond what even I have to say is a talent for cooking, you’ve got nothing. You’ve got no friends. And I honestly feel sorry for you even though you’ve done your level best to make this job unbearable for me since the day I walked through the door. So, I’m going to give you a present, Rondo. I’m done. I’m leaving. I quit. So you won’t have to put up with my face every day and deal with what you see as my incompetence but what I see as you fearing my rising skills. I’m sure I could replace you here in a heartbeat but I’ll be the better man and find my own place. And I find it remarkable that through all this, you didn’t even notice that the fish stew is done.”

Orin had honed his sense of time and his nose over the years until he could count chimes almost exactly, and even when that failed his senses didn’t. He whirled on his heel and stalked over to the stove, taking the two pots off and hanging them and putting a lid on to keep them warm. Untying his apron, Orin threw it into Rondo’s arms as he left. ”I would ask you to tell Remi goodbye and that I’ll miss her for me, but I know you’ll never do it. Oh, and have fun explaining to Remi how you let her prized employee walk through the door. I’m sure you’ll think of something.” Orin walked into the alley and down to the street. However, his sense of elation and victory were short lived. Orin’s adrenalin ran out and he slumped against the wall, his limbs suddenly drained of strength. While that had certainly been a dramatic gesture, Orin wasn’t sure that it was the right one. If he’d groveled Rondo would’ve let Orin come back. But Orin was done bowing and scraping to someone who was no better than Orin himself. It was time for Orin to stand on his own two feet. And Orin, if it was in his power, would never let a bully get their way. And Rondo was an enormous bully, although in the other chef’s case it was emotional rather than physical. Still, Orin wouldn’t condone such behavior any longer.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Dove Brown on November 4th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Orin Fenix
Skills
  • Organisation 1
  • Teaching 3
  • Flirting 1
  • Negotiation 3
  • Mathematics 1
  • Philosophy 1
  • Rhetoric 1
  • Politics 1
Lores
  • Organisation: gathering the ingredients together
  • Tiath: saw a flier?
  • Tiath: wants to learn to cook
  • Tiath: as awkward as me
  • Precipice: can't go, can't stay
  • The difference between smith types
  • Cooking: Fish stew
  • Resigned from the Rearing Stallion
  • Giving Rondo a piece of my mind

Sylvette
Skills
  • XP
Lores
  • Lore:
Miscellaneous
  • Mizas (+/-) | Amount
  • Item Purchased (+/-) | Amount
  • Item Sold (+/-) | Amount

Grade withheld due to inactivity

Tiath
Skills
  • XP
Lores
  • Lore:
Miscellaneous
  • Mizas (+/-) | Amount
  • Item Purchased (+/-) | Amount
  • Item Sold (+/-) | Amount

Grade withheld due to inactivity

Comments: Enjoy your grades
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Previous