Stigmas and superstitions regarding handedness?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Rowan Brightmoor on December 11th, 2017, 7:28 pm

I have this weird quirk where I make all my characters left handed since I'm left handed and it got me wondering. How is handedness perceived in Mizahar? Are there any negative connotations with left handedness like in real life? I was just wondering as it could add some interesting dynamics for roleplaying.
Rowan Brightmoor
Player

Words: 9874
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2017, 4:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on December 11th, 2017, 8:49 pm

We could add some but I can't think of any in game atm.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Prophet on December 11th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Would this be more of a domain thing? Or through the HD?

Great question, btw.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Rowan Brightmoor on December 11th, 2017, 9:10 pm

It's good to know that there aren't any biases currently implemented. If you were planning on adding some in, maybe it could be culture dependent. Perhaps certain races could have a reverence or disdain for left-handers. For example, a very combat oriented culture could hold left handedness in high regard as it does give a slight advantage against a right handed opponent. Or maybe left handedness could possibly be some kind of omen. Maybe people consider it linked to magic somehow and are suspicious of left-handers. IDK, I'm just spewing out some random ideas.
Rowan Brightmoor
Player

Character sheet

Postby Meriann on December 12th, 2017, 12:28 pm

I like this discussion. I too am left-handed and most of my characters end up being lefties too. It would be interesting to see left-handed bias/stigma. :)
Meriann
Never to be free

Words: 87682
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2017, 5:22 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Grim Ravenwood on December 14th, 2017, 1:16 am

Well, in class I sit with a left handed person, and when we are writing, we never have enough room on the desk, since our elbows are always against (or above) each other, always fighting for control over what little space we have >.<

As far as people go, I have not seen any direct discrimination against people who are left handed. Though, our world is constructed primarily for people who use their right hand - thus leaving those using their left hand inconvenienced at certain situations, and with certain designs.
Grim as an Eiyon, appears to undead as either something to be fearful, or weary of, depending on their personal power. To others, he might seem like a mystery, or just odd.
Grim Ravenwood
You reap what you sow~

Words: 124151
Joined roleplay: June 30th, 2016, 1:54 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Rowan Brightmoor on December 15th, 2017, 4:35 pm

See if you can switch places with them. Bumping elbows is so annoying lol. Nowadays, there isn't much discrimination towards lefties, just a bunch of inconveniences everywhere. However, there has been discrimination against lefties historically. In the past, left handed people were labelled as any thing from unclean to disabled, and even as devil-worshipers at one point. Here in the US, left-handers used to be forced to switch to their right hand as the left hand was the "wrong" hand. Seeing as Mizahar takes influences from medieval Europe, I thought it would be interesting if there was some kind of bias like there was in historical times.
Rowan Brightmoor
Player

Character sheet

Postby Tierra on December 15th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Well there is some stigmas in terms of racial bias. I mention this because I usually play Pycons and ICly the clay people are seen as toys most of the time. Unable to do what the others races are capable of doing.

In some cities they are seen as test subjects or unworthy
Total Threads: 9/10|ThreadAny Threads that are not solos 6/8|Solos 3 of 2

Until I have some free slots available I will not be taking on any new threads.
Thank you for understanding.

Due to some changes in my family dynamics I will be as active as I can. Please bear with me.
Tierra
You have no secrets even in shadows.

Words: 73477
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2014, 5:13 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes