Character Starting Equipment Question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Hayden Youngblood on December 21st, 2017, 6:17 pm

Hello!

I had a question about starting equipment. I wanted my character to start off with some basic climbing equipment. (An enormous rope, a harness, and maybe some leather gloves.) Since this isn't one item, I figured putting this as a family heirloom would not be allowed.

So, I was wondering, can you buy something before you start the game by subtracting the money amount from your starting amount?

And, on that note, about how much would said climbing equipment cost?

Thanks so much! :)
Avatar Art From: Magic The Gathering, Unstable (Amateur Auteur)
Hayden Youngblood
Player

Words: 9659
Joined roleplay: December 20th, 2017, 7:05 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Asterope on December 21st, 2017, 6:53 pm

Hi again! :D You can definitely buy things with your starting money; even when you start RPing, not everything your character owns has to be bought in thread, just as long as you're keeping your ledger up to date. You're also right about the heirloom, although you could make one of those items your heirloom if you like.

Here is the price list! Though it's quite organized it's also huge, so I suggest you make use of ctrl+f when looking for something specific just to make your life a little bit easier. There is in fact a climbing kit that's available that has most of what you're interested in and then some; however, it's a bit pricey if you're only starting out with 100 GM.

"Common" | "Nari" | "Pavi" | Thoughts
"Other People's Speech"

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Hayden Youngblood on December 21st, 2017, 6:59 pm

Hello again! :)

This was incredibly helpful. :)

I have one other question, for the horsemanship skill, it says that a novice/competent horseman can own 1-2 horses (10-20 competent) in a stable. Does that mean you start with horses and a stable? Or does it just mean you could own that many horses?

If not, then can a family heirloom be a horse? I think it fits since a horse would truly mean a lot for Hayden.

Thanks again!
Hayden Youngblood
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Asterope on December 21st, 2017, 7:28 pm

Skills don't contribute anything to your equipment; being a novice in horsemanship simply means that if you were to own/run stables, you could feasibly manage 2 horses. (Competent being you could manage up to 20)

You could start with a horse without paying for it if you took the tent starting package for housing. Otherwise, most breeds are too expensive for an heirloom, which must be worth 50 GM or less. Here is the list of horses; judging by a brief glance at it, you could probably take a mixed breed as an heirloom, since they start at 50 GM.

I do notice, however, that your race right now is Drykas. If you're going with that and you want to start in Endrykas, then you could also simply start with your bonded Strider and Windmarks already. If you have any questions about that, I unfortunately don't know much, so you'll probably be better off contacting Meadow, the DS of Endrykas, for details on that.

"Common" | "Nari" | "Pavi" | Thoughts
"Other People's Speech"

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Hayden Youngblood on December 21st, 2017, 7:31 pm

I can't thank you enough. :)

I'll try contacting Meadow, which was great advice.
Hayden Youngblood
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets