Solo Palm Trees and Salty Sea Air

Aladon arrives in Syka for the first time to start a new life

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Palm Trees and Salty Sea Air

Postby Aladon on December 16th, 2017, 11:32 pm

Time stamp: 1st of Winter, 517

“Are you happy the voyage is almost over? I am sure. Your not used to being on the open ocean since your a Isur. I am sure your legs are unsteady on the water.”

Leaning on the rail of the White Spray. Aladon turned his head to the voice of the captain of the ship. The wasn't particular fond of the captain of the White Spray. He learned through the couple days of travel that the man was from Sylira region, but he was honestly the most narrow minded human that he met. All he knew about Isur was they lived underground, and he literally asked him if he was afraid of the open sky when he first left his cave. The cave comment annoyed him the most, but Aladon handled it quite well. Even if on more than one occasion, he wanted to push the insufferable man overboard. Aladon eyes locked with the eyes of the captain and said with a artificial smile, “I appreciate your concern for my safety, but the water is giving me no issues.” The Isur knew that the journey was almost over, so he made a comment out of annoyance about the maintenance of his ship, “However, I do have to raise concern about the floor boards on your ship.”

The unshaven human looked at his passenger and stated quickly, “My floorboards? I don't know what your talking about Isur. My ship is in fine shape.”

Aladon pushed himself off the railing of the ship and adjusted his hat and said, “On more than one occasion. I stubbed my foot on couple of warped boards on the deck off your fine vessel.”

“How would you know the floor board is warped. Aren't you just a blacksmith?”

Aladon knew that he can't professionally call the board warp cause he not a blacksmith, but any person with two eyes and brain can see something wrong with the board, so he said said, “I can tell you if you walking level ground with no obstacles, and suddenly you foot slams into board sticking up even a little bit, and causes you to trip and fall that something wrong with your floor.”

“What could be causing it?”

Aladon blinked for a moment and said with shrug, “Hai if I know. I am just a blacksmith. You should talk to carpenter.”

The Captain of the White Spray was clearly concerned, and the red in his leather looking face was turning red with either frustration or concern. Regardless, Aladon could care less for the man's ship. The Isur turned and walked away, but the human grabbed his shoulder and insisted, “Your a tradesman. Make a guess.”

Isur rolled his eyes before forcibly move his shoulder out of the human's grip and thought to himself, 'The gods want you to find another profession...'

Aladon looked at the human and said the first thing that came to mind, “Termites.”

A horrified looked took over the man said without even thinking, “I can't have termites. We mostly make port in civilized cities. Unless they came from the row boats! By all the gods, I knew. I shouldn't have docked in Sunberth.”

The Isur took a deep breath and thought to himself, 'Seriously human. Think. I am a blacksmith. Why would you take the word of a man who knows nothing about ships or wood...'

The human looked at him and asked with anguish in his voice, “You have to show me where if I have termites, or I am done for.”

Aladon pressed his lips together in frustration. This man clearly wasn't listening to subtle hints that he knew nothing about carpentry or ships. He was a blacksmith, and he knew about metal. Aladon said simply, “Come with me.”

The Isur motioned the captain to follow him. He walked him over to the floorboard that he tripped over. Kneeling down on the board, he noticed the board look warped where the board was bowing down, so the ends were sticking up. Looking at the board, he reached down and pulled out a rusty nail with a part of the board coming with it. Aladon was concerned about how quickly the nail came out of the board, but he said nothing. Looking at the captain, he said as clear as possible, “I am not a carpenter, so I suggest you talk to carpenter in Syka or Riverfall to look at your wood around your vessel, but I can tell you that your nails are starting to rust. They might be just old and the oil coating protecting it is starting to wear off. The rust is a problem because eventually the iron will start to become brittle and loose it strength. Here.”

Standing up Aladon handed the captain the nail, wiped his hands on his pants, and said simply, “Rusty nails are bad in the long term. I fear for your safety if you put a lot of stress on them.”

The Captain looks at the nail in his hand and asked, “OK, I have bad nails, but what about the termites?”

Aladon just stared at him for a chime without saying a word. He never hated anyone as much as he hated the captain of White Spray. The Isur was grind his teeth, and he was about to shake the poor idiot, but suddenly he heard from a sailor from above him yell out, “Captain, I see Syka! Land on the star board side!”

The Captain took the rusty nail and said with a smile, “Thank you Isur. I will have my ship looked at for termites and deal with the floorboard as soon as I get to larger city. I hope you enjoyed your journey to Syka.”

Aladon sighed in defeat and said with a nod, “It was a pleasure, Captain...”
Last edited by Aladon on December 26th, 2017, 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thank you Gossamer for the posting template!
Aladon
Eccentric Perfectionist

Words: 116392
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2017, 3:46 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aladon on December 25th, 2017, 7:42 am

Aladon walked off the plank and onto the dock, and he felt someone tug on his shirt. He looked over and saw little blond girl standing on the dock of to the side waving and smiling at him. The Isur enjoyed children, so he twiddled his fingers. The girl giggled in silence. Suddenly, he heard a young man's voice behind him, “Are you Aladon Blackforge Sultros? I would like to speak to you about your personal affects.”

The Isur said with glanced at the man who was sailor on the White Spray and said, “Yes. Is there a problem?” The blacksmith looked back towards the little girl, and she was gone.

Aladon looked around for the blond girl, and he wondered if she jumped into the water. He frowned at that scenario because he would have heard a splash when he turned away from her. If she would of slipped by him, he would have noticed her running down the dock. No she just vanished without a trance. The Isur turned to the sailor and asked, “Did you see a little girl sitting on the dock?”

The sailor looked at him confused and said, “No I was standing right here, sir. There was no little girl around us.”

The blacksmith just shook his head because he swore that he saw her. Turning to the sailor, he asked, “OK. What is wrong with my things?”

The sailor put up his hands and reassured him, “No nothing is wrong, but we were allow carrying cargo for Syka. It will take sometime to unload it before we can get to your belonging. Sorry for the inconvenience, sir.”

Aladon nodded to the sailor and said, “I understand. I will come back later and get my things. Besides, I have business to attend to first.”

The sailor gave him a nod of his head and turned walked back to his ship. Aladon surveyed the area around on the dock for a few chimes, and he still didn't see out of the ordinary especially a little girl. The Isur decided to walk down the dock towards shore. He didn't walk very far when he saw a shirtless well muscled human male standing in the middle of it. When he approached the human, the shirtless man asked with a smile on his face, “You must be Aladon Blackforge Sultros. Welcome to Syka!”
Aladon
Eccentric Perfectionist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aladon on December 25th, 2017, 7:49 am

The man seemed clearly excited to see him, and Aladon approached him, stuck out his left hand, and asked, “You seemed to know me already, Stranger. What is your named?”

The tall human have his hand a shake with a strong grip and said, “My name is Randal Zor one of the three founders of the settlement. When I heard that we were able to recruit a Isur blacksmith and metal-smith. I had to meet you myself. How was your voyage here?”

Aladon snorted, “The sailors were nice, but I am surprised that we made it here. Anyways, Founder? I am surprised that you would come out to see me arrive.”

Randal nodded, “We aren't as formal as the large cities to the east. We are just folks here, Aladon.”

The Isur nodded, “Good, I hate saying titles anyways.”

Randal smirked and asked, “Lets conduct business at the Tidepool Bar. It been a long day so far, and I need a drink.”

Aladon smiled and followed the founder. He was led down the main pier onto the beach, and he followed the founder till they eventually came to a cluster of building on a pier. Randal walked onto the dock and led him down till he came to large open air bar. The Isur followed him to the bar. He took a stool next to him. Randal nodded to the many with long hair behind the bar. The man came over to them and placed a wicker coaster in front of each of them. The bartender smiled at Isur and said with a smile, “My name is Stu Aklamar the bartender. You must be new to the city. What is your name friend?”

The Isur said with a friendly smile, “Nice to meet you Stu. I am the new blacksmith and metal smith in town.”

Stu Aklamar said with a laugh, “That is wonderful, I can finally get a break from Randal complaining about not having one in the settlement.”

Randal said with a chuckle, “I thought there was a sacred oath about bartenders not sharing customers secrets, Stu.”

Stu shook his head and said, “No, you're are thinking of doctors and healers. Anyways who is buying.”

Randal said with a nod, “I am Stu.”

Stu nodded and said to Aladon, “Order the most expensive drink on the menu if he is buying. It might be your only chance too.”

Aladon said with a smirk, “I don't want to take advantage of his generosity, so I will just order something reasonably priced.”

Stu shook his head and said to Randal, “Sounds like you found a honest one, Randal. I will prepare your drinks and leave you to your business.”

Randal said, “I will take a All Girls Are Now Pretty.”

Aladon said as he looked at the board, “Rum Punch.”

Stu said with a nod, “Good choices. I will be right back with them.”
Aladon
Eccentric Perfectionist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aladon on December 25th, 2017, 7:52 am

Randal looked over at the ocean than he looked back at Aladon, “So why did you think you were going to sink?”

Aladon shook his head, “The maintenance on the White Spray was awful. It might a been a nice ship fifteen years ago, but I saw loose nails, warped floorboards, and moldy planks everywhere. The idiot has a good crew. I fear for them if they get caught in a storm.” Aladon moved the coaster with his finger, “As I said to the captain, I am no carpenter, but anyone could see that the ship was in poor shape. I think he was just to cheap to fix it. It explains his cost to board his ship.”

Randal said with a nod, “Unfortunately if you get what you pay for.”

The Isur said with nod, “I have been a blacksmith and metal-smith apprentice for fifteen years in Riverfall, and I came from a poor family in Sultros. I am never been a Isur with means, Randal, so when I finished my apprenticeship in Riverfall, I jumped at the opportunity to start up a forge and life in Syka. He was the only ship that I could afford...”

Stu came back with the drinks and placed them on the coasters and said, “Enjoy.”

Aladon watched the bartender serve a woman on the other side of the bar. Turning his attention to Randal when he asked, “Did you have any opportunities in Riverfall to start up a business? Do you regret leaving civilization.”

The Isur picked up his drink and took a sip. The rum was quite strong, but he knew overtime the taste of alcohol would fade. He looked at the drink in his hand for longer than he took few sips, “You always regret leaving a home that you lived in for so long. I had friends and people that I loved there... It was tough leaving Riverfall. Just as painful as leaving my homeland of Sultros, but I don't regret coming here to Syka. The opportunity was to good to pass up especially if you grew up with nothing.”

Aladon took a drink of his rum drink, and he looked at Randal, “To answer your first question, I did, but I probably would be working in someone's forge. Under their rules. You appreciate something more if it is yours, so that is why I am here.”

Randal smiled at him and said with a nod, “You won't get rich here, Aladon. Are you OK with it?

Aladon took a sip of his drink and said, “I don't need to be rich if I am happy. Besides, I will be living in a paradise if I have a good woman by my side and maybe a child in the future. I will be happy man.”

Randal laughed and said with a smirk, “I was expecting you say adventure. I hear it a lot. I didn't expect you want to be a family man.”

Isur shook his head and said bluntly, “Men with to much time on their hands look for fame and adventure. I am a blacksmith and a follower of Izurdin. I am born from simple folk, Randal, and I will probably die a simple man. At least when I die. I would be surrounded my people that I love, and not strangers who loved me for my fame or fortune.”

Randal said with nod, “It refreshing to hear. OK down to business.”

Aladon laughed out loud and said looked at his half drunken glass, “Smooth business practices Randal. Wait till I am halfway down my glass to negotiate.”

The founder innocently put up his hands and said, “We are both honest folk, Aladon. Most negotiations in Syka take place with a rum drink in their hands.”

The Isur smiled and said, “Fair enough.”
Aladon
Eccentric Perfectionist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aladon on December 25th, 2017, 7:56 am

Randal continued, “Stu Aklamar was right. I have been complaining about needing a blacksmith and metal-smith for awhile now because we are in dire need of construction material like nails, fasteners, and metal hinges for doors. With no blacksmith on site, we have to import those building materials from the larger cities out east, so it gets expensive for normally cheap material. Also being so remote location of Mizahar, some ships don't make a trip here to deliver the goods because it simply not profitable for them. Bringing up the prices of simple goods up in Syka. It just economics.”

Aladon understood his dilemma. Metal goods are normally expensive in the major cities, and if you need to import them into Syka. The price tended to go up because the supply was low. Having a blacksmith reduced the need to import metal items from the main land, and it allowed them to use their money on other things the settlement needs. The Isur nodded and said, “I understand, but ore is expensive too and not easily available. Do you have enough ore and raw materials to smelt the metal?”

Randal said with a nod, “Yes, we have stockpiling for awhile now. You should have enough if you conserve it.”

The Isur nodded, took another drink, and suggested, “I can conserve it, but if you want other items other than just building materials. You will need raw ore, so you will need to mine, or you can buy scrap metal from the major eastern cities. If you are shrewd enough in your negotiations, you might convince them give it to you for next to nothing. Another man's junk is another man's treasure. It a just a thought.”

Randal made a face about the idea and said, “Lets first focus on getting your smithy built first, so you will need a forge right.”

Aladon took another drink and nodded, “Yes, and I will need a small blast furnace to smelt metals. A smelting pot will melt softer metals, but if you want steel and stronger metals, you will need a blast furnace.”

Randal just listened to him and nodded, “Alright, we put the forge and the furnace in the same building for you. Will you need to take out a loan for tools?”

Feeling slightly embarrassed, the Isur said with a nod, “All the tools that I used as apprentice weren't my own, so yes, I will need to take out a loan for them.”

Randal nodded, took a drink, and said, “We allow you to take out up to 1500 mizas, for anything that you need in Syka. It take a lot of courage and money to pick up and leave civilization to come here. Will you be taking the full amount?”

Aladon said with a nod, "Yes, I will take the full amount, and I will pay it back in a timely manner. How much is it to buy the forge from the settlement? I would like to own it eventually."

Randal said with a smile, "Lets get it built than in the future, we can discuss ownership of the forge. It is nice to hear that you want to invest in Syka for the long term, Aladon."

The Isur never even seen the amount of money that Randal just offered him in his life. He knew that he needed to pay it back, so he would just use the loan for his smith and live off whatever is left after the loan payment was made. Aladon knew if he accepted the loan. He could never leave till he paid it back. Aladon finished his drink and asked before he made the agreement, “My family never owned the home or business while we lived in in Sultros. It was part of the reason that I came here was the parcel of land and chance to start up my own forge. Is that true or just something the recruiter said to get me here, Randal...?”

Randal looked him in the eye and said with smile, “I might be Man of Means, Aladon, but also, I am a honest man. The parcel of land comes with deal if you want, or you can buy one of the already built homes on the shoreline.”

The Isur wanted to cry at the thought of his own land. His father always talked about owning his own plot of land outside of Sultros. It was pipe dream for the old poor metal-smith, but he would be ecstatic if he knew his son owned his own plot of land even if it was in the middle of nowhere. The Isur wiped his eyes and said with smile, “Syka has themselves a blacksmith and metal-smith.”

Randal didn't say anything about the emotional Isur. He just glanced over at Stu and said with knowing smile, “Give me fifteen days to construct the forge. Your going to help right?”

Aladon said with a big smile, “Of course. Izurdin would be displeased with me if I didn't have a hand in building it; however, I am no carpenter.”

Randal stood up and patted the Isur on the back, “If you can use a measuring device, a saw, and hammer and nails, you will do fine.” Randal put some mizas on the counter and said to Aladon, “Enjoy the palm trees and salty sea air, Aladon, and I suggest you think about a plot of land with beach and jungle, so you get the best of both worlds.”

Aladon looked at him with a big smile on his face, “Thank you for the opportunity, Randal.”

Randal just smiled, “I will let the other founders know we have a blacksmith. See you at the construction site Aladon.”

Aladon watched the founder leave, and he actually had butterflies in his stomach about the prospects of owning his own forge with a blast furnace and the land. The bartender Stu walked back over to him and said, “Welcome to Skya, Aladon.”[/b]
Aladon
Eccentric Perfectionist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby J'Ak on January 20th, 2018, 10:52 am

G R A D E

XP

Socialization +3
Rhetoric +1
Observation +2
Investigation +1
Negotiation +1

LORES

Captain of The White Spray: Odiously narrow-minded
Rust causes iron to become brittle
Randal Zor: Founder of Syka
Syka location: The Tidepool Bar
Stu Aklamar: Bartender at The Tidepool Bar
Aladon: Wishes for a simple life
Syka: In need of a blacksmith
Economics: Importing is expensive
Investigation: Asking about Syka's ore resources
Negotiation: Stating ones needs
Smithing: A smelting pot smelts soft metals
Smithing: A blast furnace smelts steel & stronger metals
Randal Zor: Honest & fair

If you feel I missed anything let me know via PM!
Don't forget to edit your grade request
here,  
J'Ak
Player

Words: 8630
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2015, 2:35 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet