Solo New Sands

Jhale arrives in Syka

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

New Sands

Postby Jhale on January 6th, 2018, 3:26 am

9th of Winter, 517 AV

Jhale curled her toes into the sand as she slowly walked across the beach towards the settlement of Syka. Winters in Falyndar were always mild, this one was looking to be no different. Truth be told the young Kelvic had seen nothing but mild jungle winters. More wet than cold, really. She was sure spending this winter away from Taloba would be an experience, even if the weather was going to be just about the same as it would have been had she stayed.

At least she knew what to expect, weather wise, having lived in this region all her life. Her minimal clothing and meager supplies would not be of much use in a colder climate she imagined as she let her eyes move down to her white garb. A tight fitted white vest and loose white wrap pants. There was a pair of boots tucked into her pack along with a heavy coat. She usually did not need either, but some parts of the jungle needed you to be a bit more covered and protected than if she were just strolling along the beach like now.

The settlement was coming upon her as she continued to move forward. She had separated from the Myrians who hung back to set up camp and get their things together before going on to do anything else. She did not expected to see them again as her plans involved her becoming very busy once she joined the settlers properly. In a way she would miss the tall warrior like people she had been raised with, but she felt something pushing her to move on, to not look back.

She paused outside of the settlement. There were few people here, compared to what she was used to seeing in Taloba. No one really seemed to pay her any mind. Sure she was armed with a spear, but the weapon was secured to her pack on her back and she was not trying to hide her presence. One of two sets of eyes lingered on her a moment as she stood there, looking around for a moment, but when no one really made a move to talk to her she started walking again. Hoping to find the center of the settlement and whoever was in charge, or at least someone who could give direction.
Last edited by Jhale on January 9th, 2018, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jhale
Player

Words: 9356
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2017, 4:43 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

New Sands

Postby Jhale on January 6th, 2018, 5:33 am

9th of Winter, 517 AV

Jhale readjusted her pack slightly, between is being stuffed with her few worldly possessions and her neatly packed tent, it was a bit awkward to carry. The further into the settlement she walked the more excited and nervous she became. It was so interesting seeing so many different kinds of people here. Sure they mostly all seemed Human with a handful of others she did not recognize or know about yet, but that was still very different from Kelvic and Myrian.

Before long she stopped in front of what she assumed was an important place, there seemed to be people in it, and upon closer inspection Jhale could see it was some sort of business selling things. The Mercantile. She poked her head in and saw a girl working the counter and putting some small supplies away as she spoke with an older man. The girl looked up as Jhale looked around quietly.

"I'm looking for... whoever runs this place?" The Kelvic managed to ask, unsure of exactly what or who she was seeking out. Just someone to get squared away here. The girl exchanged a glance with the man before he spoke to Jhale. "Welcome to Syka." He started as he walked closer to her and motioned for her to follow him as he left the Mercantile.

"I'm Captain James Chaliva, what can I do for you?" He asked as he glanced back to ensure she was following him. Jhale quickly followed after him, "I am Jhale. I was hoping to join the settlement." She explained, eyeing a few tents as he lead her to what seemed to be a common area for the people of Syka.

The Captain offered a smile to the small Kelvic woman as he found a seat and motioned for her to do the same. He seemed like a nice man, from what she could see. He carried himself well enough she supposed, his manner of dress was relaxed, cut off slacks, sandals and a tunic. As Jhale took a seat across an empty fire pit from him, he reached under his seat and pulled out a guitar and began to idly strum on the instrument. "So what do you do?" He asked finally as he looked up from his instrument to the young woman.

"Oh, I work with wood. I'm no master, but I've been learning carpentry and some basic construction." He gave her an amused grin at her reply. "What are you looking for here?" He questioned her again, his absent minded melody still being plucked out on the guitar.

"A fresh start. I don't really know. I just knew I needed to go somewhere else, and this place seems... right, if that makes sense?" It was hard to explain.
Last edited by Jhale on January 9th, 2018, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jhale
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

New Sands

Postby Jhale on January 9th, 2018, 2:52 am

9th of Winter, 517 AV

James seemed to mull her response over for a minute as he strummed at his guitar. The Kelvic suck a little deeper into her chair and watched him curiously. It was interesting to think this man and a few others had come here to start a new settlement. Mizahar was a dangerous place. She had lived somewhat decently in Taloba, protected and content, but she knew it was hard to make it out on your own, she had heard the stories of terrible monsters, and wild Djed storms. Of the elements of nature themselves bringing travelers to their doom; extreme cold or heat for an unprepared traveler usually meant doom.

"It will be good to have another carpenter around. Randal is currently the only one we have at the moment, so you'll have plenty of work as people continue to come here and start building." James said with a pleasant enough expression as he tapped his fingers along the sides of his guitar. "If you can prove useful to Syka, and you help the community we are willing to offer five acres of land to you as well as some financial help in the form of a loan, should you want to start a business here." He added.

Jhale looked a little confused for a moment. She had heard they wanted to bring people here, but a loan and land? "I'm not sure about opening a business just yet, but I won't say no to land." He gave her a smile and a nod, "All the useful settlers get the same deal."

The dhole nodded and made a mental note to be sure she did not try to claim any land already being staked. Being a Kelvic would help a bit, especially if most people have walked their perimeters- she could try to sniff out any areas that had a lot of the same scent and avoid trying to claim it. It seemed the settlement was still relatively small so she figured she could find a nice bit of beach and some jungle to call her own.

"Welcome to the community Jhale. I hope you enjoy your stay." The man said as he watched her pondering the news he had given her. "I'm usually either sailing on the Veronica or working with my daughter in the Mercantile if you have any more questions." He said before standing and strapping his guitar to his back. "And feel free to make camp wherever there is room. I recommend not straying too far from the rest of the group though." And with that she was alone in the commons.

Well, there are not many people here, but this place feels right, and it will do until I feel the pull to move on. She thought as she placed her elbows on her knees and set her chin in her hands. "I'd need more coin to get to any other place anyways." She mumbled to herself, not that she had any current desire to leave Syka, but she figured it could not hurt to make enough money to be able to move onto the next closest city if need be. It was not quite home yet though she knew. She still had to set her camp up and settle in properly, maybe even meet some of the settlers already here. At least the promise of land and a fresh start would likely attract people. More people meant a better chance at finding the right person to bond with.
Jhale
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

New Sands

Postby Jhale on January 9th, 2018, 8:33 pm

9th of Winter, 517 AV

After a while the Kelvic pulled herself out of the chair and began to wander the settlement. Idly tapping her thumb along the leather wrapped shaft of the spear on her back as she eyed the different buildings and tents that were littering the small settlement. She moved east along the coast from the Commons, eyeing the bungalows as she passed them. Each little rental looked well made and Jhale found herself pausing momentarily to eye ones structure a little closer, peeking inside the seemingly empty place just long enough to take in the way it was lofted and the styling of the porch.

Being a little nervous about seeming like she was up to no good she did not inspect it too long and eventually made her way past the twelve little bungalows. What she came upon next really excited the builder in her though. The Ranchos. A few nice little buildings set upon poles hovering over the water. Her lips parted in wonder as she moved closer to the nearest one, just wanting to get e better look. She would be building her own home eventually, why not get some ideas from the already established buildings here?

Tossing her pack, spear and clothes onto the beach in a not so neat little pile the now naked Kelvic made her way to the water, just to get a closer view of the support beams that held the Ranchos up over the water. She was not the best swimmer, but luckily they did not seem to jut out into the water too far, so she was able to maintain her ability to suck air as she waded through the warm tropical waters. She pushed herself through the water towards a support beam and gently placed a hand on it. It seemed well secured under the sands and coated in something dark, tar perhaps?

"Wow, the carpenter already here must be really, really experience, these are incredible..." She mumbled to herself quietly, still not sure if there was a resident and again not wanting to seem like she was here to cause trouble. But getting a closer look at the way the support beams held up the Ranchos was very insightful. Already she was trying to memorize the way the underside of the Ranchos looked. This style of home was incredible to the Kelvic and she thought it might be fun to build something over the water. Once she got a better handle on everything anyways. Perhaps she would find this Randal guy and pick his brain sometime.
Jhale
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

New Sands

Postby Jhale on January 9th, 2018, 9:12 pm

9th of Winter, 517 AV

Even though examining the structure was incredibly interesting to the young Kelvic, she knew she had other things to do and it would be easier to do them in the light. As a dhole she had fair night vision, being an animal that was occasionally nocturnal, but still, pitching a tent in the light as a human was easier and her night vision in this form was not as keen as her dhole form. Thumbs were super helpful in this endeavor she knew, so she did her best to get back to the beach quickly, looking like a dog paddling in the water as she tried to swim back, preying no one saw the ungraceful attempt. Once back on the sand she shook some of the excess water off herself and grabbed her things.

She glanced further east and noticed that the Ranchos were more or less the last buildings in the settlement reaching that far and decided to move back towards the Bungalows. A spot between the two would be good she decided on. She could be close enough to come and eye them when she needed inspiration and she assumed the Carpenter Randal lived near by, likely in one of the structures he built.

She made her way towards the jungle. She would not venture far into it, just along the edges, trying to find a spot with dense, tall trees. She would need timber to build her home eventually and figured having access to some local wood would be better than not. Bamboo she was especially interested in, it grew quickly and would be easier to work with in her first draft. She knew as time went on she would change her design, expand on parts and reinforce spots once she really got her own aesthetic down. For now though, Bamboo would be a decent material.

At the edge of the jungles she began moving back west towards the direction of the bungalows, looking at the vegetation as she moved along the edges, looking for a nice little patch of bamboo, or even fruit baring trees like coconuts, which she was particularly fond of. She mostly preferred meat, but coconuts were a special treat she had always eagerly devoured growing up- plus the milk of green coconuts was a life saver if there was no fresh water nearby and you were thirsty.

Eventually she settled on an area and set her things in the middle of the area she wanted, dropping her things in a pile where she figured she would pitch her tent. She closed her eyes and in a sparkle of grey smoke a small fox like canine stood in her place. The dhole was about the size of a border collie, but less fluffy, and looks very similar to a fox with a rusty coat and creamy white underbelly. Jhale yawned and stretched out her limbs, her tail swishing from side to side behind her. Once she felt more limber, she stuck her nose to the sand and started seeking out anything that might alert her to someone else claiming this area she wanted for herself.

A few rounds along what she meant to make her perimeter and she was convinced people had only passed through here and had not staked a claim yet, so the dhole went to work marking a few spots at the edge of the jungle, rubbing her neck and cheeks along some trees as far in as she dared to go. She knew humans did not have her sense of smell, but perhaps some smaller predators would leave her area alone and give her a nice little place to hunt, as well as letting any other Kelvics know she claimed this spot.

Once satisfied with her scenting, she padded back to her pile of things and seamlessly shifted back into her small humanoid form. "Time to get to work setting up this tent then." she mumbled to herself as she pulled her wrap pants back on, tying them carefully before pulling the neatly folded tent and tarp from her things and leaving the vest with her pack and spear. She had set up a tent once before, though she had had the help of her father and his bondmate. Jhale racked her brain trying to remember every little thing they had told her about setting it up correctly.

The first few attempts ended poorly. The first "attempt" ended in her staring at the obviously incorrectly pitched tent with such confusion she wondered if she had ever done this before or perhaps just dreamt it. The second was better, but she had an extra pole in her hand she was very certain she should not have. It became quickly apparent this was indeed the case when she lifted the entrance flap and the whole thing sort of collapsed. For the third attempt, some god must have felt pity for her, because somehow the tent was pitched, no extra poles were laying around and it seemed steady. A sigh of relief escaped the dhole as she looked towards the horizon to note the sun would be setting soon.

"Of course I would take all day to figure out this simple task." She chided herself as she finished staking down her tent over the tarp. The hardest part of setting up camp was done for now at least. All that was left was to tuck her supplies away and set up her bedroll. Once that was completed she sighed, glad it was over and tossed her self down onto her bedroll and closed her eyes. "Thank Caiya I was able to find this place so quickly, and that they did not immediately run me off." She muttered to herself as she took a deep breath and began to slip off into the clutches of sleep.

word count 2832
Jhale
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes