Smoke on the Water...

Ialari carves out a small start in Syka before witnessing the mysterious Fire in the Sky.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Smoke on the Water...

Postby Ialari Pythone on January 12th, 2018, 5:26 am

13th day of Winter in the Year 517 AV

It had been 13 days since Ialari first stepped foot off of the Veronica. She spent the first day and half slumming it on the beach. While maintaining some stark differences, Syka's beach still felt a lot like the beach she had spent so many seasons on back on the eastern coast of Syliras. There she had discovered a series of pre-Valterrian ruins which she claimed and called, The Retreat. It was in those ruins that she established a doorway to her Dominion. Splitting her time between living on the beach and at The Retreat and living in and shaping her Dominion, Ialari had come to know the comforts of the beach. It filled her with a sense of peace and freedom quite similar to what she felt living in the Kingdom of Sultros.

On the beach of Syka, she spend much of her initial time there reflecting on the journey that brought her there and her purpose for coming. Eventually she realized that in order to discover the reason she was drawn there, she would need to integrate herself into the settlement. With that in mind, she made her way into the settlement in search of whoever was responsible for new arrivals. Asking around, Ialari discovered that a man named, Mathias. The name was familiar to Ialari. Many seasons ago she had made a mistake in creating a Dominion door and ended up in Riverfall long before she traveled there intentionally. While there she encountered Mathias when he was first planning an expedition west of Riverfall. Although unable to join the expedition, she did have the pleasure of attending a party held by Mathias and even shared a dance with him.

Ialari found Mathias outside the Syka Mercantile. When she approached, he glanced over to her with a look of recognition. Ialari bowed her head and said, "Hello, Mathias, it's good to see you again." Her accent was still thick; something she had never really learned to soften much. Despite that, Mathias smiled as the memory of their brief meeting dawned on him.

Cheerfully he replied, "My dear, while I may forget names, I never forget a face. Especially one as pleasing as your own. It is good to see you again as well."

Returning his smile, "Ialari Pythone. I see your expedition was successful."

"Mathias smile faded for a moment yet returned in earnest. "It was not easy. A few false starts but yes, we finally made it. What brings you here to our humble settlement? I never thought I'd see you again."

Ialari, while having learned more of interacting with people from Kavala, was still a bit uncertain when engaging in more mundane conversations. Pausing for a moment to formulate thoughts to words she finally said, "That, my friend, is a long story best saved for a more appropriate time. In short though, I am here in search of something. In the meantime though, I was hoping to find a place to settle my things and maybe offer my services in return." She spoke slowly, trying to articulate her words in the most understandable way possible.

Being a man of many talents, Mathias had little trouble understanding Ialari though noted the exotic nature of her accent. "Of course, of course. I would be happy to help you find a place to stay and there are many opportunities to help out around here. We are a small community with unique needs. I can set you up with all that you need and as far as your search, if you need any help with that, I am at your disposal. There are a few places available for you to stay. There are the bungalows as well as the overwater ranchos; which ever suits you best. As an added welcome to the settlement, you may also claim for yourself five acres of land to use as you wish. As far as employment, I guess it comes down to what you have to offer us."

Ialari smiled more. Business exchanges were the bread and butter as it were for the isur. Even having been apart from her people for so long, that was something that was never forgotten. "Well, I have quite a bit of experience with living and surviving in an environment much like this. You're surrounded by jungle so I imagine you've had your fair share of encounters with snakes, spiders and a variety of toxic substances. I am rather skilled in handling a variety of poisons and toxins related to your surroundings. I've dealt with the crafting of minor medicines, salves, tinctures and tonics and dabble here and there with various magic-related issues. I would be happy to offer my skills in crafting antidotes and aid in whatever medical situations may arise." Ialari paused for a moment to think before continuing. "I also enjoy a strong bond with the Divine Father, Izurdin. As such I may be able to help reinforce your structures with the power of the God of Strength to help in resisting the occasional storm that I'm sure you encounter here."

Mathias considered Ialari's offerings and quickly realized that she could indeed be a benefit to the settlement. "I must admit I am pleasantly surprised. We could definitely use such talents here. I will set you up with the Panacea, our local house of healing to offer you compensation for your services. If there is anything else you need, please feel free to let me know and do please take the opportunity to get to know the rest of those who call Syka home."

Nodding, Ialari offered her hand to Mathias who in turn took it. With a shake followed by lifting it for a soft kiss, he said, "Welcome to Syka, Ialari. It's a pleasure to have you with us."

Concluding their meeting, Ialari was given directions to the Panacea as well as to the bungalows and ranchos. "Thank you, Mathias, I look forward to my time here." With that, Ialari set off to find a place to live and establish herself as an assistant at the Panacea. Among the many things on her mind was the idea of having five acres somewhere in or around Syka to do with as she pleased; it was a startling yet enticing proposition.
Last edited by Ialari Pythone on March 7th, 2018, 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Granted Flashback Threads between 510 and 512 by Tarot.
Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Words: 923994
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2009, 3:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (2)
Overlored (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Smoke on the Water...

Postby Ialari Pythone on January 12th, 2018, 6:01 am

Ialari left Mathias feeling good about the encounter. The fact that he remembered her was a bonus yet she couldn't believe the coincidence of seeing him again. Her first stop was the Panacea. Upon first glance, it didn't look like much. The building was little more than an open aired treatment center with a few beds, a small one room lab, and an attached bungalow where the attending healer slept. The healer, an Akalak named Jansen, was to Ialari much like the other Akalak she'd met in Riverfall, complicated. By the time she had arrived to speak with him, Mathias had already sent word of her coming. The Panacea's resources were offered to Ialari if she needed them and Jansen also referred her to a woman by the name of Uta. Uta was the local herbalist learned in the various plants that grew in and around Syka.

After making contact with Jansen, Ialari went in search of a place to live. Mathias had mentioned both a series of bungalows as well as the overwater racheros. While the bungalows were less expensive, Ialari was attracted to the idea of the privacy granted by the rancheros. The cost was only slightly higher but the setting was worth it. She made claim to one and contacted a man by the name of Randal Zor. She agreed to the rental price and proceeded to unpack her gear and make herself at home.

The accommodations offered by the ranchero were not quite comparable to those that Kavala had offered in the Sanctuary but they were more than acceptable. It had everything she could want with a separate sleeping area, hearth, dining/work area and adequate space to unwind. The wrap around deck over the water offered a wonderful view of the beach and sea.

In reflection, Ialari said as she stood on the deck overlooking the water, "If this is where I may find an answer, at least I can do it surrounded by this kind of beauty. I never would've imagined such sights as what I've seen up to now when I stood in beneath the mountains of home. Izurdin indeed created a wonder beyond wonders."
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Smoke on the Water...

Postby Ialari Pythone on January 13th, 2018, 6:52 am

Back inside the rachero, Ialari took stock of the things she'd brought with her from Riverfall. With her meager possessions laid out on the bed, she began sorting out what she would need on an everyday basis and what she would stash in the offered chest at the foot of the bed.

When Ialari did travel, she did so lightly. Most of her more encumbering possessions were kept in her Dominion. Before leaving Riverfall she'd made sure to stash away most of her things in the Ukalas where they would remain safe and secure. When she left the Dominion Scrolls with Kavala, she had also left instructions for her friend on how to access that Dominion via the doorway under the bed. Before Kavala, there had been no mortal individual Ialari trusted enough with such knowledge. Yet after having spent some time with the Konti and having been blessed with the woman's selfless generosity, Ialari felt it was only right to return the favor.

What Ialari had brought with her consisted of but a few items of light clothing, her fur cloak just in case, her poisoncrafting kit, some light survival gear, the dagger she'd carried since shortly after her departure from Sultros years ago, her magecraft harness and hammers, the snake-headed Staff of Salvari Pythone, and a few small odds and ends as well as her journal.

As she looked over her small collection, she realized that the need for extensive clothing was non-existent. Even in the early days of winter, it was hot. In fact, it was too hot for the dress she currently wore so she stripped out of it and put on a simple silk loincloth. While she'd noticed many a resident of Syka walking about fully nude, Ialari was not yet comfortable enough in her new surroundings to go that far. Still, she decided to forgo the small, silk chest wrap she often wore mainly due to the heat that was already causing her to sweat a bit. Although she'd spent quite a bit of time on another beach far to the east, it was a more temperate climate and not nearly as warm.

As she proceeded to put away the rest of her clothing in the chest, she retrieved her belt, belt pouch and dagger. While Syka seemed harmless enough on the surface, Ialari new better than most that looks were most often deceiving. She put her poisoncrafting kit on the nearby desk and leaned her staff against the wall next to the bed. Her magecrafting harness and hammers were unusable for the time being without access to other magecraft tools yet she never was far from them. She hung the harness from a small hook protruding from the wall.

She told herself that eventually she would need to find an appropriate place to establish a doorway to her Dominion yet the ranchero didn't exactly offer a suitable spot to do that.

Once she had sorted her things and put them in their place, she decided to head out and begin to get to know this new place called Syka.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Smoke on the Water...

Postby Ialari Pythone on January 13th, 2018, 7:46 am

11th day of Winter in the Year 517 AV

It had been several days since Ialari had arrived in Syka. She'd quickly set to finding a place to live and even finding a bit of employment to support herself. The overall feel of the small settlement was carefree and calm. Most people seemed to be responsible for certain tasks that they diligently tended to and the small number of residents allowed for the whole rather simplistic system to work. The people were generally welcoming although Ialari did receive a few odd, thinly veiled glances but she attributed that to the fact that she wasn't exactly the most common sight around.

Her time in Riverfall had allowed her the opportunity to eat better and even exercise a bit which had served to fill out her curves more. Excessive amounts of time spent living in her Dominion and lack of plentiful food had taken their toll on her. Now however she was looking more like her old isurian self save for the numerous scars that patchworked their way across her body. She had been rather malnourished before Riverfall with her overall fitness having greatly suffered. She hadn't realized just how awful she'd allowed herself to become until Kavala had pointed out how unhealthy she looked. With the Konti's help, Ialari had returned to her more accepting stature in the eyes of Izurdin and rediscovered the joy of such a thing.

Still, she was the only female isur in Syka and the only individual to sport the jet black, silver-veined metallic arm. However, being a bit of an outcast never really caused Ialari much concern. Looking to her shoulder she traced with her other hand the elaborate raised markings that ran down to her elbow; her marks of Izurdin. She then looked to her open palm and to the mark of Dira, Goddess of Death. That was another part of her that tended to set her apart from others, even if they didn't quite realize it. She bore the aura of death. Even if hardly noticeable to anyone not similarly marked, it seemed to sometimes have an unconscious affect on others. She took comfort in it though; her connection to the gods was strong, made stronger by her connection to the Ukalas.

With a sigh of satisfaction, Ialari walked out onto the wraparound deck of her ranchero. It was early morning and the heat of the day hadn't quite settled in. Looking out over the water, she took in the beauty of waves in the distance and the seemingly infinite horizon. Although she'd witnessed views of explainable beauty in the Ukalas, there was still something about the mortal world that held equal if quite different beauty.

As she looked out over the water, something drew her attention to the sky. It started as a what looked to her to be a swirl in the clouds that quickly grew in intensity. Then came a deep rumble that reverberated all around. The wood of the ranchero's deck rattled and the sky appeared to explode. She could only describe it as an instant burst of wild flames that engulfed the sky in vivid colors. Swirls of red, yellow, green, blue and violet blanketed the sky with varying patches of light that changed to streamers, arcs, rippling curtains and shooting rays that lit up the sky with an incredible glow. She'd never seen anything like it even in the Ukalas.

The entire event lasted for a short moment before the sky returned to normal and the rumbling ceased. Ialari scanned the sky for a moment longer, hoping to see something else that may explain what she'd just saw but there was nothing. The clouds had returned to normal and looked as though a rainstorm was not far away.

Ialari's perspective in the mortal world had been somewhat altered by her time spent in the Ukalas. After being in the Ukalas for so long, it had changed her in ways she was still discovering. She had gained a sense of how intimately everything in the world, living, dead and otherwise was ultimately connected to one another. If she concentrated hard enough, she could ALMOST see the lines of djed that interwove between things. This event however, this strange fire that engulfed the sky, felt almost blinding to her. It wasn't blinding to the eyes in the traditional sense, it was more blinding in the spiritual sense; as if looking at a bright flash of light in one's mind. It didn't actually blind but it did cause a bit of disorientation.

After a few moments of trying to clear the blindness of the mind's-eye, Ialari realized that, whatever had just happened, couldn't have been a natural occurrence. Looking to the other rancheros and to the the parts of the settlement she could see from her vantage point, she noticed that other individuals had also noticed the event and seemed just as confused, excited and even frightened at what they'd just experienced.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Smoke on the Water...

Postby Ialari Pythone on January 13th, 2018, 8:17 am

Although her experience with magic was limited to a few specific disciplines and experience, Ialari fancied herself a student of all things arcane. Yet, what she'd just experienced escaped explanation. Even in her time in the Ukalas, with the shifting landscapes, alternate realities and things that otherwise escaped rational description, having the sky erupt with wild, multicolored lights that resembled some form of magical fire was new to her. Immediately her mind went into overdrive trying to understand it all.

Going back inside the ranchero, she retrieved her journal. In it she'd recorded all of her experiences since leaving Sultros so many years ago. The well-worn, leather bound book was thick and filled with added pages, scraps and fragments detailing all that she'd been through. Second only to the Dominion Scrolls, the journal held firsthand accounts of things that were rarely, if ever witnessed by mortal eyes. Opening the book that had become rather sacred to her, Ialari carefully skimmed through its pages in hopes of finding something that would help her understand what she saw. So many things felt similar yet when she reread them and tried to remember, nothing quite fit.

There was the shifting landscapes of her Dominion before she was able to shape it properly and anchor it to a single location. There were alien skies filled with strange colored clouds and horrific winged beasts. There were burning seas of pitch and sulfurous air, infinite pastures filled with creatures that never had the chance to exist in the mortal realm. Yet, despite all the wonders and oddities, Ialari could not find nor recall having seen a fiery sky like this one.

Her analytical mind got to work, Ok, so if this was normal, the other people wouldn't have looked so surprised. That eliminates anything routine and expected. The rumbling sound felt as though there was a definitive source but I couldn't tell from where. That means it was not simply a trick of the eye. In fact, the disorientation it caused meant that it affected more than just natural sight. It only lasted a very short time which could mean that it was maybe the start of something more? But I guess it could also be a one time thing, a strange magical phenomenon perhaps that won't happen again. What if it does happen again though, is it dangerous?

While some people may see such an event, marvel at the exotic, unique, mystique of it all, Ialari had been through too much to simply write it off as a one time thing of little significance. Nothing in her life happened without a reason even if she didn't understand it. As she struggled to understand what it could be, she couldn't ignore the possibility that it was divinely related or even perhaps related to whatever drew her to Syka to begin with.

Could it be a sign from the gods? If so, what was the meaning behind it? It doesn't feel like Izurdin; he thankfully isn't that flamboyant. The lights and its resemblance to fire could mean something related to Ivak. Yet he hasn't shown a display anywhere near that since the Djed Storm and his release. Ialari recalled the vision that she'd been granted of the Fire God's release from his eternal prison, a prison she'd been taught was created by Izurdin himself.

There was so much of the world she was still discovering; a fact that delighted her with every revelation. Perhaps it is indeed magical in nature. If so, the sound that accompanied it felt as though it had a physical source. If so, it can be found. Could it be tied to why I am here? While such an event would certainly intrigue her, Ialari felt more empowered to discover what it was all about as it may help her understand her reason for coming to Syka. She couldn't however deny the possibility that the lights in the sky were simply a coincidence and were in no way related to her or whatever it was that called her to Syka.

Tucking her journal back into the chest with her cloths, Ialari made her way out of the ranchero and toward the settlement. Maybe Mathias had an idea of what was going on and if he didn't, perhaps there was someone else around who had an intelligent thought on the matter.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets