Closed Toes in the Sand

Nieve has arrived in Syka and is looking to settle in. (Gossamer)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Toes in the Sand

Postby Nieve Glass on January 29th, 2018, 4:56 pm

20th of Winter, 517 AV

Evie wanted nothing more than to curl up in the warm sand and nap in the gentle breeze. She was exhausted from her trip to Syka and then hauling all of her gear up onto the beach; but she knew she needed to speak to someone in charge as soon as possible to get herself settled in.

The beach was hot, and the linen clothes she'd worn comfortably on the trip there were beginning to feel more and more oppressive. Stripping down and gleefully kicking off her boots, Nieve tossed her clothes with the rest of her gear, wriggling her toes in the sand. With a shimmer of light, she shifted into her yowlwing form and took off at a bound down the beach, not overly worried about her things in such a small settlement.

She spread her wings wide, letting her flight feathers trail in the sand as she trotted along, enjoying the air that swept up under them, cooling her slightly. The waves of the ocean washed up along the shore to her left, just barely brushing her paws and keeping them cool and damp on the hot, dry sand. Contrary to one might thing due to her nature, she quite liked water; perhaps it was because yowlwings were native to Riverfall, but either way the ocean's waves were welcome.

She passed a few people as she walked, and some of them cast her curious glances but didn't do much else, while the rest didn't even look at her. It occurred to Nieve suddenly that perhaps she should stop and ask someone who exactly she was looking for. Perhaps it would have been easier for her to arrive on the Veronica, the ship she'd heard mention of that traveled between Riverfall and Syka mostly for trading purposes; but she had been impatient and didn't want to wait around for it or risk not being able to get passage.

Continuing along, she finally spotted someone else. Shifting back into her human form, Nieve rolled her shoulders before trotting over to the man she had spotted, her two-legged lope not dissimilar to that of her four-legged one.

The man who she approached paused to look at her, not seeming to bat an eye in the slightest at her nudity, which pleased Evie to no end; it was good to know she wouldn't be chastised for running around without her clothes on.

"Hello," she greeted, bright green eyes giving him a cursory glance over. He was relatively young with dark, shaggy hair and tanned skin, a bit of stubble lining his jaw.

Waiting a beat for him to return her greeting, Nieve began to speak, rocking back and forth on her heels not out of nervousness, but rather because she enjoyed the feeling of sand sticking to the soles of her damp feet.

"I'm new to Syka." That part was probably pointless to mention, since judging by what she'd seen so far everyone probably knew and recognized each other. "I'd like to stay. Please." Belatedly remembering her manners, she stuck out a hand. "My name is Nieve."

She hoped she wouldn't be turned down; she had no idea where she'd go, if so. Would anybody looking to settle on the island even really be turned down? Surely they could use all the people they could get, not only for population but for useful hands. Nobody was totally useless. So busy was she pondering these things, Evie almost missed whatever it was the man had to say to her.

Her pale eyes snapped back up to his face as she pulled her attention back to the task at hand, meeting his gaze; her pupils were merely thin, dark slits thank to all the bright sunlight. She didn't blink, her eyes the only part of her that seemed to remain perfectly still.
Last edited by Nieve Glass on February 1st, 2018, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nieve Glass
Feathery feline

Words: 99031
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2017, 3:10 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Toes in the Sand

Postby Gossamer on February 1st, 2018, 4:18 am

Randal smiled when the woman bounded naked towards him. He indeed was out and about today, walking along the beach to go head down to a home site he was scheduled to start a build on in a few days. Bungalows were going up all over the place, and it pleased him because it meant permanent residents were settling in.

Honestly, after so many seasons in Syka, he appreciated beautiful naked women but he was so used to seeing them topless, bottomless, and frolicking that it really didn't bother him much anymore. This one was pretty with her curls and deep skin. She wouldn't burn like some of the paler northern folk that had come as of late.

The Founder had more things to worry about this season than beautiful skin unfortunately. But still, a newcomer to the Settlement always piped his interest. And this one, with her bouncy way and her easy smile, was definitely a Kelvic. Besides, he had seen her fluttering up the beach. One of those little Riverfall Yowlwings? She was as cute in her winged tortie form as she was in her human one.

"I know a Kelvic when I see one. Half this Settlement is full of them and another kitten is welcome." He said cheerfully. "Welcome Nieve. I'm Randal. You were looking for me?" He asked, taking her hand and shaking it. Then he released his grip and reached up and gave her a scratch on her head behind her ear. "We have a lion, a very large Talderian forest cat, but no yowlwings. I bet our other two feline ladies will love you." He said, smiling at her. "The other cats have been begging me to talk James into importing a few cats or even yowlwings so we could have more in the Settlement. I wonder if I can just introduce you and you'd count." He said with a grin. "Of course you can stay. We even offer land and help starting a business if you have any marketable skills or something you can do that you can contribute to the settlement with." He added, looking thoughtful.

"So... why are you here? And are you going to be needing any building done? I'm the one that puts up most of the structures around here. I can also help with starting businesses and generally getting settled." He added, beckoning her to walk with him so he could keep his 'appointment' without too much delay.

Syka time was flexible. So he wouldn't actually be late. But he didn't like to stretch out these types of planning visits too long because it took away the actual building time he had in a day.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Toes in the Sand

Postby Nieve Glass on February 2nd, 2018, 4:15 am

Nieve's eyes visibly lit up at Randal's words; more Kelvics! Excitement bubbled up in her. She'd never met another Kelvic before. The man shook her hand, introducing himself, and Evie realized her luck as she put together that the man was in fact one of Syka's Founders.

He suddenly reached his hand up towards her head as he dropped hers. Evie's nostrils flared instinctively, but he simply settled his hand into her curls and gave her a quick scratch behind the ear. She tipped her head into his hand without even thinking about it, the human touch more than welcome.

A small sound of contentment left her throat, and Nieve blinked slowly at Randal as he mentioned the other types of feline Kelvic in the settlement. Delight crept back into her expression, and she raised up on her toes, clasping her hands together. A lion and a Talderian forest cat; those were huge, wild cats. She was thrilled, awed, and a little bit intimidated all at once.

Randal beckoned her to walk with him as he continued to talk, and Nieve easily fell into step beside him. She had to bound a little bit every three or four steps to keep up, short as she was. The sand was beginning to grow uncomfortably hot beneath her feet now that they were dry again; it wasn't quite painful, but it certainly wasn't pleasant.

Land of her own? She looked to Randal with wide eyes; that was more than she could have ever hoped for. "Land? Really? That would be..." she trailed off, trying to find the right word. "Incredible." That certainly wasn't what she wanted to say nor did it sum up the extent of her feelings, but she hoped it conveyed them well enough.

"I don't know anything about business. I don't think I'd be very good at it, it seems boring." Her voice was blunt, her tone brooking no room for argument to try and change her opinion. "But I can hunt, and fend for myself mostly. And I make pottery!" She flashed a pointy toothed smile at Randal, clearly proud of that particular skill. "I could scout for things too, if you need. Seeing things from the air is a lot handier."

As they walked and Randal questioned her, Evie let her eyes wander. Syka was truly beautiful; the white sand almost gleamed in the light of Syna, and the dense foliage near the treeline was a vibrant shade of green and offered plenty of shade. Different types of trees bore vibrantly coloured fruit that she'd never seen before.

She opened her mouth to answer Randal's question, then shut it with a soft click as she contemplated. Why was she there? "I have nowhere else," she said, honestly. "I didn't belong where I was. I think maybe I can belong here, though." She worried that her answer wasn't enough, that it was too simple; but it was honest. She had no complex or ulterior motives for coming to Syka except that it appealed to her as a place she could make her home. Somewhere she could be herself.

"I'll need a house eventually, and maybe a proper kiln. If you could help with that at some point that would be nice of you." She had a vague idea of how to go about creating a makeshift one, but one made of bricks or stone would be preferable. "But I brought some things with me, so I'll be okay for awhile. I have a tent." She had noticed that many people along the beach still seemed to be living in tents, and that suited her fine. She wasn't in a rush to get things done.

Having answered all of Randal's questions, she had a few of her own. The first one that left her mouth was, "Where are we going?" She had followed without question, but she was curious as to their destination. While Randal didn't seem to be in a hurry, he was walking with purpose. The rest tumbled out somewhat rapid-fire, not unlike the manner in which a curious child would pose questions.

"How many people live here? Do you get a lot of new settlers?" The tents lining the sand periodically suggested so, but she wanted to ask nonetheless.

"Is there anything I'm not supposed to do?" Having come from Syliras and Riverfall, she was used to having a long list of rules and laws to follow, many of which were not even actually official and left her confused. "You said there are other Kelvics here. They're not...well, they're not slaves or anything, are they?" A frown made its way onto her mouth, her brow furrowing as she looked up at the man beside her.

The realization had come suddenly, forcing her to ask the question; Randal so far hadn't been condescending in the least, asking her how she could be useful and making the offer of land. But the way the general population of Riverfall had treated her had left a bad taste in her mouth, and she was wary of being demoted to the status of pet again. She knew she was better than that. She was sure the other Kelvics in the settlement were, too.
Nieve Glass
Feathery feline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Toes in the Sand

Postby Gossamer on February 3rd, 2018, 3:05 am

Nieve was one of those delightful creatures the Gods created to bring everyone joy. Randal could see it in her the moment he met her, and the feeling grew the more time he spent with her. Walking up the beach with the happy little Kelvic practically dancing alongside him further convinced him of such. But not being completely oblivious, he did slow down his pace, so she could keep up with him without having to leap ahead after several strides. He didn’t mind. Syka time was flexible and he loved to be able to do a couple of things at once.

“Not only land, but five whole acres. It’s not a huge plot, but its plenty enough room for buildings, some beach, some jungle and to run a business and grow food if you want too.” He suggested, glancing over at her and then chuckling at her next words. “Nonsense. I bet you could be good at business, Nieve. Don’t write it off so quickly. I know quite a few kelvics and they are good at business. They just make a game of it, cutting out the boring parts and adding in far more exciting things. It is, after all, your life. You live it how you see fit. And if you don’t want to do boring things with it, don’t. Do exciting things.” He suggested helpfully, knowing this was indeed one of the repeat Kelvic philosophies he’d heard before.

He changed the subject though, worried he would put too much stress on her to think about things she might not want to think about until she was ready.

“I’ve always wanted to have wings. I think half of us grown people and all children want wings. I know the priests of Yhal even have them. So, you are lucky, little one.” He said with a grin and kept walking. “You make pottery and can scout? Those both sound very useful. I know we have one potter already in Syka, but she’s so busy I bet she’d welcome someone to help meet the demand. You see, no one has any bowls or cups or even big storage vessels to hold water when they get here. Everything we have here we have to build from the ground up. And if something breaks? There’s no store to go replace it. We have to treat everything very carefully and improvise. So I’m sure I could help get you a kiln up and running. We have a clever blacksmith too that might know about heat and fire enough to assist me. His name is Aladon and you’d like him. He’s an Isur.” Randal said that last word with a bit of pride. He was glad they had attracted an Isur to the settlement.

Randal reached out and stroked her curly head once more when she softly admitted she had no where else to go. “Kitten, don’t you see? Everyone has some place to belong, the trick is to make it your own and decide It is going to be your home. Home isn’t exactly where you live. It’s where you fit in and make a place for yourself. And while some of that is about who you are and how you are around people, mostly its about your own outlook and how you see the world. Someone said something to me once that stuck with me. The quote was…. ‘The only difference between a good day or a bad day is your attitude.’ I think feeling at home some places is a lot like that too. I know there are a lot of good people here in Syka that will gladly help you make a home. I think you might be able to be useful and help them with the same thing. It’s important here that we help each other. This is truly the Wilderness and we are building the support structure… the infrastructure… of a city we need to allow others to come here. The first of us must be strong though, resilient. Are you strong, kitten?” He asked, his voice amused as they walked along the sand. He’d slowly lead her down closer to the water where the sand was firm from the wet and an occasional stray wave would cool their warm feet.

“Well, don’t decide on the house right away. Things here in Syka are different. Buildings are different. You should visit a lot of people’s homes and see how they do things. Mine, for example, you might love because its lofted high in the air to catch breezes. A creature with wings might love something like that…” He hinted slightly, the corner of his mouth tilting up.

“We are going to Uta’s place. She’s an herbalist and she wanted to build an addition to her home… which you’ll love since her main seating area is a huge swing over a creek that’s completely surrounded by a couch. She wants to expand her workspace since she’s taking students now and her place is a bit crowded.” He explained, leading Nieve on down the beach.

Her questions had him thinking. “I think we have around thirty people now… hardly enough to really call it a settlement. But we are growing. Each season we get one or two new people that move in and settle down. We got the blacksmith this season. And you too…. probably more will come on the Veronica’s next trip. Word is spreading. And that’s good for Mathias’ grand plan of having Syka be a real city one day. I just wish a few more carpenters or construction folks would come to help build this city Mathias dreams of.” He added with a chuckle. “I am starting to feel very busy and behind.” He explained.

Soon the pair had come across a large creek draining into the sea. Randal turned them inland following the creek. Uta lived fairly close now, close enough that they’d be there in just a few chimes.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Toes in the Sand

Postby Nieve Glass on February 4th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Nieve had no idea what the size of an acre was, but judging by Randal's description, five of them would be more than plenty. She was so used to being in cramped quarters without much open space, the thought of having all that open land - and to herself, no less! - was absolutely thrilling.

Her brow creased slightly as he spoke about business; how could business ever be fun? He seemed so certain, though, that it made her wonder. Perhaps looking into it and seeking out the Kelvics he mentioned would be worth her time at some point down the road.

The mention of her wings, however, completely made her lose her train of thought. A broad grin spread across her face, and almost instinctively she flexed her shoulders; her wings were her pride and joy. "Then I can definitely help her with pottery! I'm not very good. The things I make aren't all that fancy. But they work!"

Nieve wasn't sure what an Isur was, but she nodded enthusiastically; a blacksmith would certainly be helpful. Silently, she filed the name away for future reference; Aladon the Isur. While her attention span could be brief, she had a keen memory for things that she wanted to remember.

Her eyes flitted up to his face when he stroked her hair again, and a strange feeling she hadn't ever experienced welled up in her chest; it was a bubbling mixture of joy and hope. "I am strong!" She exclaimed, puffing up her chest slightly. She knew was small and that she was often underestimated because of it, and she didn't want Randal to think that. She was determined to prove she deserved to belong in Syka. "You'll see," she said, eagerly.

A house lofted in the air? A pleased gleam entered Evie's eyes at the thought, but before she could say anything about it Randal launched into an explanation of where they were heading. "You're going to help her build it, then." It wasn't a question so much as a statement as they followed the stream up and in towards the jungle. "Today? Or are you just looking? Can I help at all?" She was eager to begin proving her usefulness.

"Busy indeed," she agreed with a smile, tipping her head to the side. "But you shouldn't feel behind. There is so much more here than I expected. Besides, behind on what? Who is timing you?" Amusement laced her voice, though it was a genuine question; what sorts of deadlines were imposed in a place like Syka? She supposed perhaps the other Founders may want things done in a certain amount of time.

As they walked, Evie noticed the occasional telltale glimmer of fish beneath the surface of the creek, reminding her of how hungry she was. She paused as they approached Uda's house and the treeline, and gestured up to one of the trees holding the round, red-orange fruits she'd seen on her first trek down the beach. "What are those? Can they be eaten?"

Should Randal inform her they were indeed edible, the yowlwing would shift into her winged form. Leaping up into the air with a hard flap to gain altitude, she batted at one of the fruits hard until it dropped from the tree and landed with a soft thump in the sand. Swooping down, Evie gripped the fruit in her jaw before leaping up onto Randal's shoulder, balancing herself with her front paws on one and her back on the other, mindful of her claws.

The fruit wasn't overly large, perhaps the size of a rat, but it was slightly heavier than she had expected. Her sharp teeth had pierced the skin, and she found a sweet but faintly tangy flavour flooding her mouth.

She remained on Randal's shoulders for the few short times it took them to reach their destination, tail wavering and wings loose to keep her balance. Once there, she hopped down with a flutter of wings, standing on two legs again in a brief swirl of lights, holding her prize in one hand; she examined it by turning it this way and that as she licked the juice from her mouth.

"How do I eat it?" She asked, uncertainly. While her teeth had pierced the skin of the fruit, it seemed a bit thick to simply bite through and chew. She trailed after Randal as she spoke, her attention warring between interest in the fruit and excitement to see the swing in Uda's sitting area. While she didn't want to be rude, especially in front of Randal, she would not hesitate to make a beeline for it.
Nieve Glass
Feathery feline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Toes in the Sand

Postby Gossamer on February 11th, 2018, 11:54 pm

He liked the little kitten with wings. She seemed high energy though, and in a way Nieve reminded him of the energetic monkeys that were always causing mischief around the settlement. She was, however, far more charming than they were and he doubted that she’d ever rained down her feces on people below with a fantastic aim with the sole purpose of ruining their day. Randal chuckled at the thought.

“We all start somewhere. The more you work at your pottery, the better you will get. And we don’t need fancy here. We just need functional. If your cups hold water, they will be good enough for me.” The youngest Founder said with a laugh. “And if they are a little lopsided or the color wasn’t what you expected when you glazed them before you put them into the fire, I’ll love them even more.” He said with a chuckle, reaching out to ruffle the Kelvic’s curls once more.

“No no… we aren’t going to work on it today. We are getting her on the waiting list which I suspect will be around the 70th at this point. I’m doing some measuring, figuring up some lumber needs, that type of thing. Tell you what, if you can read and write I will let you take notes for me, or at least hold the measuring tape. I have to decide how much lumber to order from the saw mill and what fasteners I need to order from Aladon at the forge.” He explained, coming into view of Uta’s place. Like he said, it was built over a stream for ideal breezes and had a swinging sitting area beneath it.

When Nieve plucked the mango, Randal smiled and took it gently from her. He drew the bowie knife at his belt, ran it around the edge, splitting the fruit in two. Then he scored the inside of each half in a checkerboard pattern and inverted the leather-like case for her. “They are delicious. Mangos, we call them. We’ve managed to cut down or back everything that is poisonous along the settlement pathways and we’ve encouraged and transplanted more edible stuff. So if you aren’t sure ask, but everything along a known path is edible at this point.” He explained. It was something Uta did when the settlement initially got started. She prided herself on how much the surrounding land could feed the settlers if they kept the local monkeys out of it.

“I only feel behind because there are so many people needing homes built and so few carpenters to do it. I can’t build the entire settlement myself, so it’s a blessing if people with construction and carpentry skills would move here.” He said, to answer the young kelvic’s question. He didn’t mind Nieve perching on his shoulder for a bit, nor eating her treat. He actually picked her another and sliced it up, offering it to her in case she was still hungry. If she wasn’t, he’d snack on it himself.

When the walked up the path and to what constituted Uta’s front door – though no resident in Syka truly had a door – the woman was waiting there on the steps for them. In her mid thirties, Uta smiled, gesturing to the kelvic. “You brought a friend.” She said, gesturing to Nieve. “I’m Uta. Local botanist.” Uta said, looking around and smiling at Randal. She turned then, gestured at a freshly cleared piece of land to the right of her bungalow, and said ‘ta dah!’.

Uta smiled. “I cleared it myself. I hope its big enough for a little botany and philtering lab, a table students can do work at, or I can do research on. Covered, of course, due to the rain, and maybe enclosed on two or three sides, just as a windbreak. I have sticks marking about the size I want.” She added, as Randal laughed and dug into his bag.

He pulled forth a notebook and a piece of charcoal and handed it confidently to Nieve. “Ready to take notes?” Then he reached in and pulled out a cloth measuring tape he began to unwind. Together, the two residents and the kelvic began to measure out the dimensions of the home. While they did, Randal introduced Nieve to Uta.

“Uta, this is Nieve. She’s another kelvic in the colony… a kitten with wings. I forget what they are called in Riverfall. High energy…” He said, winking at Nieve to show her he wasn’t being critical. “She’s a potter, so you might be able to order some of the things you need for this new lab from her.” He said coyly. Randal loved linking the settlers together and intertwining their needs. “And maybe in return you can give her some lessons on edibles around here. I explained how you’ve cleared most of the paths of poisonous or things that will cause rashes like that ivy…. But she’d like to know the names of things. I think she’s very clever.” He added, calling out numbers to Nieve as they measured out the dimensions of the building that was going to be put up here. He also asked Uta various questions, telling Nieve to write down the answers… such as types of floors, deck or not, awnings or canopy, type of roof, etc. They worked quickly and effectively, getting some of the major work to planning a new structure done in that one visit.

Uta looked pleased that Randal was doing such a good job on the details. But then again, she knew he wouldn’t let her down. He’d designed her original home, one she was very comfortable in.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Toes in the Sand

Postby Nieve Glass on March 5th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Mangoes. Nieve noted the name of the fruit for later fruit; the dark yellow flesh, bordering on orange, was deliciously sweet and juicy with just the faintest tang left on the tongue. When Randal cut a second for her, she took it with a bright smile and a thanks; she hadn't realized how hungry she was.

She listened intently to Randal's words, nodding in understanding. She could do functional. She wondered if the clay in Syka would be much different from what she was used to working with; in such a damp environment, surely there had to plenty of it.

Randal's hand in her curls once more sent a small thrill of happiness through her. The action wasn't demeaning or aloof in any way like the attention she'd received in Riverfall often had been. It seemed much more playful and genuine, and it delighted her to no end. The offer he made for her to help him with note-taking only further solidified that in her mind.

Upon arrival at their destination, the woman was waiting for them. She smiled, her voice bright and cheery as she introduced herself, not seeming at all put back by Nieve's presence. Evie didn't get a chance to introduce herself before the woman was gesturing to a cleared area off to the side, beginning to ramble to Randal about what she was hoping to have built.

Nieve knew little to nothing about construction, and she didn't have much interest in working in a lab, but she was still excited to see what would come of Uta's ideas. She eagerly took the charcoal and notebook from Randal, wanting to prove herself. She knew how to read and write, but it had been awhile since she'd done either.

The charcoal stick felt clumsy in her hand, and it took her a moment to settle it into a position that felt comfortable, resting it in the crook between her thumb and forefinger. "Ready!" She chirped, trailing along as Randal and Uta began to measure out the dimensions with the cloth measuring tape.

Evie was focused on writing down the numbers Randal called out patiently; her brow was furrowed slightly, tongue tucked between her sharp teeth in concentration as she moved her hand deliberately so that the numbers were undoubtedly clear. She was so focused, she almost missed the conversation between Randal and Uta.

"Hm?" She looked up, blinking and focusing her wide green eyes on the pair. "Oh! Yes, I'd love that." She beamed at Uta, her cheeks colouring at Randal's praise. "There's just so much here, and it's all so new. If you could teach me anything that would be nice of you. Of course I wouldn't mind making you things for your lab in exchange." What sort of equipment went into a lab like that, anyway? Jars, almost definitely.

With the measurements done, Randal questioned Uta on the details of the new space she wanted. Nieve hesitated here and there over the spelling of certain words, but in the end she was pleased that she had managed to write everything down in legible script; she hadn't even needed Randal to repeat things to her all that often.

Once Randal was satisfied with the information, Nieve offered him the notebook and charcoal back, her fingertips smudged black. "Sorry if there are spelling mistakes." She had no doubt Randal would notice them, and while the thought made her slightly anxious, she played it off casually with her apology, not letting her sudden nerves show through.

"Is that everything?" She was eager to discuss her plot of land - hers, that she owned! - with the man, but didn't want to rush him. Provided he agreed, she would remember to bid farewell to Uta before they left so as not to be rude.

"Is there much space left for settlers?" She asked, and then a sudden thought occurred to her. "Do I get to pick where I stay?" She looked up at Randal for his answer; the thought was almost intimidating.

She'd just arrived and already so much was happening. Never in her life did she expect to have so much freedom and choice, or to be considered someone useful and to own a whole plot of land. It was almost too much to take in all at once.
Nieve Glass
Feathery feline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Toes in the Sand

Postby Gossamer on March 12th, 2018, 2:45 am

Randal took the notebook back, scanned its contents, and only paused at one word, pointing it out to Nieve and asking her what it was. Otherwise, he understood her hand writing well and laughed when she apologized for the spelling. “Yours looks a fair bit better than mine, Kitten. Don’t worry about it. Thanks for taking notes. I hate trying to write everything down and visualize what I’m going to create all at the same time here. Remind me to pay you on the way home…. Syka Style.” He added, closing the notebook and putting it and the charcoal back in his bag.

He said his fairwells to Uta, letting Nieve and Uta work out any deals they’d have on trades of information or goods. Uta did offer Nieve an invitation back any time to discuss trade or for a lesson or two. That pleased him since Uta wasn’t exactly social, but evidently did better with Kelvics than actual humans.

“That’s everything.” He confirmed, shouldering his back and gesturing back down the path they’d traveled. “There’s a lot of space left for settlers. I can walk you around and show you some of my favorite spots and some of the spots I think would make a good location for a potter. But ultimately the decision is up to you and you alone. You can pick where you stay, though I encourage you to rent a Bungalow for your first few days here, maybe even the whole season while we build a place for you. Don’t worry if it seems fast, life here is really slow. It’s just a little frantic getting settled from your move and getting started on a slower pace of life.” He added, then directed them off the pathway instead of leading her back to the beach following the stream the way they’d come in.

Randal put them on a well worn path that lead off parallel to the beach. Soon enough they came to a grove of odd trees that seemed to have long clusters of yellow fruit shaped like hands hanging from them… giant hands. Randal took out his kukri and hacked off one, handing the cluster of what appeared to be fruit to Nieve. “Here’s your payment for today… a bunch of bananas… and the location of where they grow so you can come and get your own any time you’d like. If you like Mangos, wait until you taste these.” He said, cutting himself off a hand of bananas then breaking off one of the individual fingers. It was about eight inches long. He broke its neck, peeled off about three sections of leathery yellow skin, and then offered the soft tube to Nieve.

“Eat it all, there’s nothing in the center. It’s pure delicious fruit all the way through. And it is very good for you.” He added, peeling a second banana and starting to nibble on it.

From the Banana Grove, he lead her back towards The Commons, still talking shop. “I build bungalows for people for 850 GM. We loan the price if you need it for people it. And I can tailor your home to include a kiln if James can bring one back.” He added… “Furniture included. If you need any further moneys to get going here in Syka, we can loan that too and let you have time to pay it back. The others will pitch in and help. Just get to know them, make friends, especially all you kittens.” He added, grinning as he lead her up to The Commons.

“So, I can show you around, you can show yourself around on your wings that are probably faster, and if you find a spot you like… let me know and we’ll make it all official. If you need a loan, just speak out and I’ll arrange it. We don’t give you the coin, we give you the materials and labor. It’s easier that way.” He said, parking himself on one of the benches after climbing the steps and laying down the hand of bananas. He left the fruit for others, knowing some couldn’t walk to the banana grove, and others were too busy.

Then he smiled at Nieve, and let her respond to all he’d told her.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Toes in the Sand

Postby Nieve Glass on April 3rd, 2018, 12:34 am

Nieve kept Uta's offer in mind as she followed Randal back down the path they'd arrived on; it could certainly prove useful in the future, and the Kelvic was always open to getting to know new people.

The confirmation that she could choose her land sent a delighted smile spreading over Evie's face. "Oh wow, okay. That's perfect." She beamed at Randal, unable to contain her excitement. "I don't think I'll need to rent a bungalow though. I have a tent, and that's more than fine with me." She nodded in understanding as he explained the pace of life around the settlement; she could handle it being slightly hectic her first few days.

She noticed that Randal directed them down a different path on their way back, but contained her questions, instead forcing herself to listen as he continued to speak. She trotted alongside him, keeping pace, and watched with a bright, curious gaze as he paused to cut down some strange looking fruit.

Or at least, Nieve assumed it was fruit from the sweet smell wafting from the curved yellow pieces. Bananas, Randal called them. She watched him break the small stem of the fruit with ease, pulling the peel down before offering it to her.

The inside of the fruit was much paler, almost white, and softer. Nieve accepted the banana, sniffing curiously before taking a tentative bite. True to his words, the fruit was soft flesh all the way through. It was just as sweet as it smelled, though not at all juicy like the mango had been.

Still, Nieve enjoyed it. She swallowed with an audible gulp before thanking Randal, biting off another chunk of banana and chewing as they continued to walk, trying to keep in mind the location, though she had no real reference point. There was so much new information to take in.

Nieve ate her banana as Randal continued to talk, explaining the way building homes and loans worked in the settlement. The Kelvic didn't have quite a firm grasp on just how much money was worth, but given the amount she'd come to Syka with already, 850 gold Mizas for a furnished bungalow didn't seem very expensive. She wondered how long it would take her to save that much up.

The news that Randal could probably include a kiln caused her eyes to light up, and she nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, a kiln would be great, if you could manage it!"

The loan system made sense in such a settlement. She followed Randal up the stairs to the Commons, peering around curiously at the people settled. She knew it was probably polite to sit with him, but she was too curious and excited, so instead she wandered around near him, peering down from the platform and gazing out onto the beach.

"I don't think I'll need any loans just yet, but if I ever do, I'll keep that in mind." His offer to show her around was tempting, but he was right; she would be much faster on her wings, and she was excited. She wanted to go and explore on her own time, and take things in without having someone waiting on her.

"I appreciate the offer, but I think you're right. It would be much faster if I did it on my own." The concept of meeting new people and making friends was exciting as well; she didn't want to force others to interact with her because she had Randal accompanying her.

She polished off the last of her banana, turning to face Randal. "Thank you for everything, you've been so helpful and kind." She smiled at him brightly. She wanted to get going, the urge to adventure itching under her skin, but her desire to make a good impression made her remember her manners.

"I don't mean to be rude, but I'm excited to get started. Would you mind if I left now, to look around and maybe find where I'd like to stay?" She tilted her head to the side, eyes bright. Provided he said yes, which she had a feeling he wouldn't hold her back, she would shift into her yowlwing form, rubbing up against Randal's leg for a moment with a deep, thankful purr before leaping into the air to go explore; excitement and hope settled deep into her chest at the prospect of her new life stretched out before her.
Nieve Glass
Feathery feline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Toes in the Sand

Postby Gossamer on June 23rd, 2018, 5:22 pm

Randal laughed. "No little one. Go pick out where you want to live and I'll come find you later and we'll mark it out for you. Then, drop by in a day or two and tell me how you want your kiln built and I'll give you a hand. If you have any other questions or needs... come find me. Its never a bother to help out a Kelvic. Your kind do wonders for our settlement." He said with a grin and then waved her off. He truthfully had a lot to do and wanted to get at it. Running across Nieve who was more than willing to keep him company on his errand to Utas was just a highlight in his day. She'd brightened it and he vowed to make sure she felt extra welcome and comfortable in Syka.

Nieve

Experience:

Observation +5, Investigation +3, Socialization +5, Interrogation +5, Planning +3, Psychology +1, Forging +2, Dictation +1, Construction +1, Mathmatics +1

Lores:

Randal: Founder of Syka, Randal: Appearance And Personality, Syka: Has Other Kelvics Which Want More Cats, Syka: You get land if you stay – 5 Acres, Randal: Encourages Entrepreneurial Skills/Abilities, Syka: Welcomes A Potter, Randal: Will Build Kiln/House, Randal: Thinks Everyone Has A Place To Belong, Nieve: Needs To Make Her Own Home, Psychology: Attitude Is Everything, Randal: Advises A Lofted Home, Uta: Herbalist, Syka: Has At Present 30 Residents, Mango: Appearance & Taste + How To Eat It, Syka: Needs Functional Not Fancy, Uta: Appearance & Personality, Uta: Where She Lives, Randal: Thinks Nieve Clever, Dictation: Taking Notes For Randal, Math: Writing Down Measurements, Construction: Plotting/Measuring An Addition Layout, Syka: Nieve Gets To Pick Her Own Land, Randal: Will Show Her Good Spots For Her Place, Bananas: Appearance, Taste, Location Of Plantation, Syka: Basic City Layout, Bungalows: Cost 850/Randal Builds Them, Syka: Will Loan Out Building Funds, Randal: Will Build Her A Kiln

Notes: Randal will build you a kiln of your design as long as you help him. He will follow your directions and NOT charge you for doing so as long as your labor is included. This can be said to be done by the end of this thread’s season.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes