Solo Knowing Where ther is little to Spare

Winter Job Thread #2

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Knowing Where ther is little to Spare

Postby Chetha Iceglaze on February 28th, 2018, 7:06 am

Baker's Butchery and Bakeshop
68 Winter 517 AV

A cool wind blew through the Castle Commons of Sunberth. On a barrel outside the Barkers' sat a figure in white. There was a long coat that ran down the sides of the barrel about halfway from the hunched shoulders, while a white knit cap hlld long straight black hair down so that it was mostly hidden by the long coat. Most significant about the figure seemed to be the utter stillness. The shoulders were raised bu elbows resting on knees of folded legs, and the figure's eyes were lowered, though not closed.

There was frost on the wind yet as the figure remained there, sitting, silently as passersby moved around and pased them. The ony mar to the white exterior was a wicked looking battleaxe at the figure's hip, resting against the side of the barrel. Children as they pased eyed the weapon, then looked up at the figure who seemed mostly oblivious to them, save for when the youngest would trundle past with a hand gripped firmly in that of their mothers, rather engulfed more than gripped, the se children were too small to have been walking for very long and many would cry out i =n their youthful babble as Chetha Iceglaze spared them a smile or a conspiriatorial wink. To the oldr set, Chetha seemed a statue, she had sat thus for hours, since the early morning, watching, present, since before the sun had risen to midday when she had gotten a leg of some bird from Kiartha and returned to her post. The last few days had been much the same. It was almost time though for her afternoon routine. Soon the shop would be closing, and Kane would be busied closing the shop. It was then that the family and shop were most vulnerable, or so they thought.

Chetha finally broke her pose and slid down off the barrel, whch though it was a flour barrel, Chetha had filled with sand so that it provided her with a heavy seat and solid base for movement without the barrel tipping over. As usual, when she moved a space cleared around her, leaving her space to shake out her long hair. With her hair in the wind, her appearance was softened, made younger even. She appeared now to be about sixteen, not quite a mature human, but close, she was not human, nor was she sixteen ears old, she was in fact Kelvic and not yet two years of age. She was still growing into her maturity of body and strength, whch was frightening when one noted how easiy she picked up the sand filled barrel and set it back against the wall of the shop as she went to make her rounds.
Chetha Iceglaze
Player

Words: 11714
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2018, 9:42 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Knowing Where ther is little to Spare

Postby Chetha Iceglaze on March 1st, 2018, 6:39 am

As she came around the south side of the shop she found a small gathering of street kids gazing up at one of the windows. She leaned a shoulder against the wall which was still warm from the day's baking, and casually remarked, "Going to try for the window tonight?"

Seven small pairs of eyes turned toward her and she gave them a knowing smile. There was a scramble and all seven were on their feet and dashing away with shouts and calls to one another to meet later. Chetha though noticed that left behind was a bundle of rags, or what looked like one.

Chetha startled when the bundle moved, she crouched down and watched as the bundle of rags resolved into a small child. She was blonde haired and blue eyed, and could not have been more than three years old. Her large plaintive eyes gazed up at at the drk haired mercenary, blinking as she looked around for the others who had been with her. There was a bump slowly growing on the right side of her head. "Jerrah? Jerah!" She called.

Chetha looked up and down the street. None of the children remained to be seen. "Jerah takes care of you?" The Northerner asked the little girl.

In response she just got a nod.

"Do you have a name? I'm called Chetha."

The girl nodded once again, but didn't say anything. Of course Chetha had not asked what the name was or anything. She had forgotten how unforthcoming human chidren at this age were. Chetha was sure given a year or two the girl would be a regular chatterbox if she survived. As it was now, she was skin and bones, not a rosy cheeked plump little girl as she should have been. Chetha sighed.

"Come, you can sit with me until Jerah comes back. Are you hungry?"

The little girl had stood up now and Chetha could see just how tiny she was. she had her hands clasped until the hunger question, then one little grubby hand shot out open and dseekng whatever was on offer. Chetha was taken aback, no child should be so hungry and without hesitation. She smiled gently though and reached into a pouch on her belt, and drew forth a strip of dried meat. She ripped the end off and placed it in the questing little hand and then took a bite herself. The girl ate hungrily and as Chetha finished her circuit of the building she followed.

It did not take long for Chetha to find a little crate for the girl to sit on at the foot of her barrel, and the two sat together, Chetha talking and passing her bits of jerky while the girl said nothing but played cat's cradle and giggled at some of the things Chetha said. After a time another, older child appeared. The girl rose and pointed, "Jerah!"

At this Chetha hopped down from the barrel and picked up a small bundle she had hidden behind it. "Jerah, come here, it's alright." She called.

The girl was wary but thelittle blonde girl ran and grabbed her hand and pulled her over to Chetha. "This Jerah." She finally said.

Chetha smiled, it wasn't the knowing smile she had used before, this was a genuine warm smile, "Good to meet you Jerah, this little one has been sitting with me waiting for you. I thought you both might be hungry later. You know tonight when you were going to climb in the window?" She winkedand Jerah, who must have been about twelve nodded and blushed.

"I am Chetha. I work here." She raised a hand to the Butchery and Bakeshop. "I've seen you once or twice before. Chased you away a time or two also." At this Jerah nodded.

"We don't mean no harm, lady. We's hungry, is all. Thank you fer watchin' Eisande, Momma was cross she wasn't wif me. You thought we might be hungry?"

Chetha nodded and held out the bundle. "Yes, inside you'll fid bread and some cheese. The bread is two days old, but still good, and the cheese is not as much as I'd like but threre is enough for a bit I hope."

Jerah looked confused, and held the package gingerly, "Why you doin' this? Yer a merc... you chase kids like us away. Now yer feeding us?"

Chetha nodded., "Eisand and I talked." For her part at this moment Eisande was looking vry proud of herself. "Well I talked and she nodded. Sometimes the reality is people need help. I can't help you and I'll still chase you away if you make mischief but when I am through working, then Ican help a bit if I have to spare."

Jerah nodded and put out her hand for Eisande to take. Sensing this would be her chance little Eisande ran over and hugged Chetha's leg tightly. "Bye bye!" The little voice intoned, gazing up with craned neck to grin at Chetha and then take her ister's hand.

"Yer okay, Merc."

Chetha gave a half smile and a small wave. "Bring the little one around, I wouldn't mind the company sometimes."

As the two children walked off, Chetha realized she wasn't sure why she had made tht last offer. Bears didn't care for human children. She was a bear of the Ice Watch. Oh well, it might be nice if Eisande did sit with her sometimes.
Chetha Iceglaze
Player

Words: 11714
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2018, 9:42 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets